You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

The Complete Guide to New Smoke Mechanics

23 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,481 posts
4,768 battles

I have put together a short guide with all the relevant things you need to know about smoke changes.  Sub_Octavian reviewed for accuracy, as I wanted to ensure you got exact information.

• Cool 6

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

Thanks Zoup, and watch out for Spiders (LoL "kill it with Fire")

[POP]
Members
1,236 posts
8,354 battles

That's the one thing that has bugged me. I get it, but it still bugs me. 

You  shoot and are detected. Pop smoke. Go undetected. Turn at an odd angle, come out of smoke away at a different direction, but if you are still within the 20 sec timer, you're still detected. It's like the gun barrels are sending up flares for 20 seconds or something. Same thing with hiding behind islands and a different enemy moves into range.

It's how the game works, it's just annoying from a realism perspective. I know this is not intended to be a real sim. But we have massively detailed ships and then it's a shooter video game. Anyway...

And I won't be giving up my Kutuzov for anything. 

• Cool 2

[BRZKR]
1,481 posts
4,768 battles
1 minute ago, OgreMkV said:

That's the one thing that has bugged me. I get it, but it still bugs me. 

You  shoot and are detected. Pop smoke. Go undetected. Turn at an odd angle, come out of smoke away at a different direction, but if you are still within the 20 sec timer, you're still detected. It's like the gun barrels are sending up flares for 20 seconds or something. Same thing with hiding behind islands and a different enemy moves into range.

It's how the game works, it's just annoying from a realism perspective. I know this is not intended to be a real sim. But we have massively detailed ships and then it's a shooter video game. Anyway...

And I won't be giving up my Kutuzov for anything. 

I won’t disagree. It’s an odd balancing mechanic.  Personally I think the gun bloom should automatically dissapear or reset in this circumstance, but sadly it’s not my call.

[BRZKR]
1,481 posts
4,768 battles
22 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Thanks Zoup, and watch out for Spiders (LoL "kill it with Fire")

Those jerks are showing up all over.  Giant wolf spiders.  If a full grown one ends up in my house I will legit freak out.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
2 hours ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Those jerks are showing up all over.  Giant wolf spiders.  If a full grown one ends up in my house I will legit freak out.

LoL I used to have pet tarantula, would let it crawl on my arm:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[OSG]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
14,793 battles

Thanks Zoup....very helpful.

AA does not effect your detection in smoke, so that means you can just leave it on all the time if in smoke and they won't cause detection?  

How about secondaries....if I am in smoke and my secondaries go off do they cause me to light or not if I don't fire my primaries?

Thanks.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
20 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

You on a crawlspace?

Dust the crawl. It'll kill everything in there.

Turn off your hvac for a few hours whild doing it.

[BRZKR]
1,481 posts
4,768 battles
23 minutes ago, Merc85 said:

Thanks Zoup....very helpful.

AA does not effect your detection in smoke, so that means you can just leave it on all the time if in smoke and they won't cause detection?  

How about secondaries....if I am in smoke and my secondaries go off do they cause me to light or not if I don't fire my primaries?

Thanks.

Secondaries don’t either.  I think I mentioned that when I mentioned AA.  But yeah, let them fire away.

[OSG]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
14,793 battles
33 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Secondaries don’t either.  I think I mentioned that when I mentioned AA.  But yeah, let them fire away.

Thanks...must have missed it.

[PRNA]
[PRNA]
Beta Testers
30 posts
4,296 battles

It's largely ruined random battle play at the sacrifice for a MINORITY of players though. It's promoted even more passive play and has largely left people who WERE aggressive out in the middle of the open with no real chance of getting into the fight. I can't play my Tirpitz at all like I used to. Maybe 1 in 10 games. ONE IN TEN. That is utterly unreasonable. Smoke has no point in the game anymore at this rate. It makes no sense to have changed something that wasn't broken to begin with. It's been working for 2 years straight and to change it now, when WG is introducing even more devastating ship lines with even worse Torpedoes. What's the god damn point?

• Cool 1

[DARTH]
Members
537 posts
11,502 battles
7 minutes ago, Baineblade said:

I can't play my Tirpitz at all like I used to. Maybe 1 in 10 games. ONE IN TEN. That is utterly unreasonable.

You played 10+ games in your Tirpitz yesterday?

That's dedication...

[PRNA]
[PRNA]
Beta Testers
30 posts
4,296 battles
Just now, Korval_BB55 said:

You played 10+ games in your Tirpitz yesterday?

That's dedication...

In the last 24 hours I have. So what? I liked the TIrpitz.

[PLPTE]
Members
493 posts
6,886 battles

I'd be lucky to have smoke cover from a team mate every 1 in 20 games I'm playing a BB.  You must have a pet DD or something to be giving it to you every time you play your Tirpitz?

[BRZKR]
1,481 posts
4,768 battles
27 minutes ago, Baineblade said:

It's largely ruined random battle play at the sacrifice for a MINORITY of players though. It's promoted even more passive play and has largely left people who WERE aggressive out in the middle of the open with no real chance of getting into the fight. I can't play my Tirpitz at all like I used to. Maybe 1 in 10 games. ONE IN TEN. That is utterly unreasonable. Smoke has no point in the game anymore at this rate. It makes no sense to have changed something that wasn't broken to begin with. It's been working for 2 years straight and to change it now, when WG is introducing even more devastating ship lines with even worse Torpedoes. What's the god damn point?

I don’t think it’s been indicated deep water torps will be any more powerful.  They’ve just said they’ll pass under DDs. This makes sense as the Pan Asian DDs will have 20 Second Radar.  Having torps in that circumstance makes them heavy handed.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,577 battles
29 minutes ago, Baineblade said:

I think the point is they don’t want ships doing bigtime damage while invisable 

[DARTH]
Members
537 posts
11,502 battles
1 hour ago, Baineblade said:

In the last 24 hours I have. So what? I liked the TIrpitz.

I'm surprised - most people make that kind of claim as hyperbole.  I only played give games yesterday, and I didn't feel any adverse affects, aside from the lovely tier 5 MM ensuring I had to play 3 of those games to get a single win with my Oktoberfest.

I've greatly enjoyed my Bismarck and Tirpitz, they're my #2 and #3 most played battleships, and share a 19 point captain.  At 53 and 56% with them, I'd like to think I've been doing fairly well, too, but that's another matter.  Anyway, I like to play them aggressively, and don't generally depend on smoke as part of my tactical bag of tricks.  Maybe that just makes me wrong, I dunno, but somehow I don't feel like the smoke changes will cause me a great deal of heartburn.

I'm actually rather looking forward to being able to see and shoot more ships, rather than staring across caps at endless, unbroken clouds of smoke for half the battle.  Again, maybe I'm wrong, but that's just my perspective.

Good luck to you.  Hope you have more fun battling today.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

Good explanation for people who are wondering why their smoke isn't saving them anymore.

One bit not addressed that people seem confused by: the new smoke mechanics do NOT allow you to be spotted through terrain. Terrain is different from smoke. It's not some kind of reverse hydro.

Edited by Edgecase

[BRZKR]
1,481 posts
4,768 battles
39 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Good explanation for people who are wondering why their smoke isn't saving them anymore.

One bit not addressed that people seem confused by: the new smoke mechanics do NOT allow you to be spotted through terrain. Terrain is different from smoke. It's not some kind of reverse hydro.

Terrain = Cover, Smoke = Convealment.   Yeah,  I left that out because that’s more of a gun bloom mechanic than smoke.  I can see why it would get confusing for a newer player though.

[SYN]
Members
102 posts
8,433 battles

One thing that's irked me so far, and I don't know if it's something I haven't noticed before...

But when you fire your guns, say, in a battleship, and you are within that assured acquisition range of a smoke screen (~14km away) you still get detected by whatever's in the smoke.

Or so I think...

[PRNA]
[PRNA]
Beta Testers
30 posts
4,296 battles
3 hours ago, NoZoupForYou said:

I don’t think it’s been indicated deep water torps will be any more powerful.  They’ve just said they’ll pass under DDs. This makes sense as the Pan Asian DDs will have 20 Second Radar.  Having torps in that circumstance makes them heavy handed.

Not what I was focusing on but if you can't see how much more dangerous deep water torpedoes are for heavier, less maneuverable ships then I have to question what you've been playing. I've run into those things a few times so far and they terrify me as a BB player and annoy me to no end as a CA/CL player. 1klm before being spotted, radar on the launching platform. In the hands of a good DD player those ships are going to end up dominating any game they go into. STILL haven't heard how their guns are but unless every other DD starts focusing on hunting those Pan-A ships, taking away from their other duties, it's going to be an even more passive game than it already is as no one will wanna get close to cap points. Half the games today have been nothing but smoke clouds surrounding caps and no one willing to press in. Any larger ship that does ends up dead.

2 hours ago, Korval_BB55 said:

I'm surprised - most people make that kind of claim as hyperbole.  I only played give games yesterday, and I didn't feel any adverse affects, aside from the lovely tier 5 MM ensuring I had to play 3 of those games to get a single win with my Oktoberfest.

I've greatly enjoyed my Bismarck and Tirpitz, they're my #2 and #3 most played battleships, and share a 19 point captain.  At 53 and 56% with them, I'd like to think I've been doing fairly well, too, but that's another matter.  Anyway, I like to play them aggressively, and don't generally depend on smoke as part of my tactical bag of tricks.  Maybe that just makes me wrong, I dunno, but somehow I don't feel like the smoke changes will cause me a great deal of heartburn.

I'm actually rather looking forward to being able to see and shoot more ships, rather than staring across caps at endless, unbroken clouds of smoke for half the battle.  Again, maybe I'm wrong, but that's just my perspective.

Good luck to you.  Hope you have more fun battling today.

Good luck with that, as the last 4 destroyer heavy games I played that was essentially what it was. The larger ships all hung back, too scared to engage at closer ranges. Tier 5 games have been about the only reprieve I've had in that regard. Good luck and as for 'fun' battling. Nope. Nothin' about it was fun.

[BRZKR]
1,481 posts
4,768 battles
2 hours ago, MrSharkswith said:

One thing that's irked me so far, and I don't know if it's something I haven't noticed before...

But when you fire your guns, say, in a battleship, and you are within that assured acquisition range of a smoke screen (~14km away) you still get detected by whatever's in the smoke.

Or so I think...

I’ll need more time playing to figure the nuances out. That’s an interesting observation though...