You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
riverslq

Just lost a match because of a detonation

106 comments in this topic

[LEGO]
Members
132 posts
3,412 battles

We had them on points,

and then POOF!

DETONATION!
WE LOSE!

FUN AND ENGAGING!

(but at least he got some flags right?)

Edited by riverslq
  • Cool 5

[BIAS]
Alpha Tester
316 posts
9,526 battles

If you cry about it enough, WG will definitely change their minds.

[VVV]
Beta Testers
800 posts
5,166 battles

True that. Just ask Flamu to make a video about it. That will spark the community here to make 9,000 whine threads, And bam! 6 weeks from now in the next patch it'll be gone.

• Cool 3

[PSP]
Members
6,315 posts
8,937 battles

I got detonated today in a cruiser. I believe that's the first time it's happened. Usually I get detonated only in DDs.

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,069 posts
9,515 battles

Ship happens.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,410 posts
12,057 battles

You can use up 1 of your replays and see if the ref's will over tun the decision but you will lose 1 of your time outs.

• Cool 2

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,497 posts
3,435 battles

Keep complaining; WGNA will be forced to finally add back in the ability to buy signals that prevent Detonation as well as provide other effects. And they can then just point everyone towards them again. Ironically, such whining was far less back when they were available for purchase, aside from those who flat-out refused to pay for them.

In the process, it also conveniently answers:

- "Ship too slow!" = Buy and equip Speed Signals

- "CVs too strong!" = Buy and equip AA boosting Signals

- "Fires too strong!" = Buy and equip Consumable CD reduction Signals

- "Flooding too strong!" = See "Fires too strong!"

- "Healing too weak!" = Buy and equip +20% to HP Repair Party Signals

- "Firestarting rates too low!" = Buy and equip both Firestarting rate boosting Signals

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,052 posts
7,794 battles

Ignore these pitiable WG drones defending a retarded mechanic. They are weak, fragile beings who have to turn to insults to cover up their denial.

• Cool 6

[LEGO]
Members
132 posts
3,412 battles
58 minutes ago, Dianeces said:

If you cry about it enough, WG will definitely change their minds.

but if I sit here silently, nothing will happen either.

:p

• Cool 4

[LEGO]
Members
132 posts
3,412 battles
56 minutes ago, Naviss said:

True that. Just ask Flamu to make a video about it. That will spark the community here to make 9,000 whine threads, And bam! 6 weeks from now in the next patch it'll be gone.

So you think this game is perfect as is?

wow.

• Cool 2

[USCC2]
Members
3,584 posts
Just now, riverslq said:

wow.

Can't see anywhere where he said the game is perfect.

You don't like detonations, some people are happy to live with them being part of the game. Agree to disagree; make your point in the forum and move on. Why start to indicate people are stating things they are not just because they don't agree with you?

• Cool 1

[VVV]
Beta Testers
800 posts
5,166 battles
2 minutes ago, riverslq said:

wow.

Oh hell no. Game is in horrible shape and has been for a very long time. Detonations is just one of many things that is silly to even have in the game. I wasn't trying to make it seem like your claim isn't warranted. It needs to go no doubt. I was just saying to get WG attention on a matter you need a CC to make videos about it and gain more traction and then the out raged community follows suit. WG does listen but only when they are made to.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,278 battles
33 minutes ago, riverslq said:

but if I sit here silently, nothing will happen either.

One thing will happen; you'll miss a boatload of verbal abuse.

29 minutes ago, Naviss said:

WG does listen but only when they are made to.

By their accountants.

@riverslq, you, by typing up this Forum post, have already put more effort into detonations than WoW has all this year, and probably most of next year too.

• Cool 1

Members
566 posts
1,461 battles
1 hour ago, riverslq said:

wow.

Perfection is but a matter of subjectivity since there's nothing in this world that can appeal to everyone.

Members
12 posts
1,821 battles

I wish I had the replay, but basically I was in my Yamato when I got fired upon, about 5 minutes into the game, by a Gearing. 3 HE pairs of shells later, the gear detonated my Yamato. I was so shocked I didn't react till seconds later. Yamato. Detonation by a Tier X American Destroyer. In like 3 pairs of shells. 

[PSP]
Members
6,315 posts
8,937 battles
54 minutes ago, Naviss said:

Detonations is just one of many things that is silly to even have in the game.

I disagree, as detonation is definitely based on historical fact. Here are some ships that have detonated:

In April of 1865 the steamboat Sultana blew up, killing nearly 1800 Civil War POWs.

In May of 1941, the Bismark shelled the Battlecruiser HMS Hood, causing it to detonate, killing all but three of the crew.

In November of 1941, the HMS Barham, a Queen Elisabeth Class battleship, detonated after being torpedoed, killing over 800.

In July of 1944, two US transport vessels loading ammunition exploded, killing over 300 sailors.

In December of 1944 the SS Burke was hit by a kamakaze and exploded, killing all of her crew.

In April of 1947 the SS Grandcamp exploded, killing 581 people in the town of Texas City, Texas.

[LEGO]
Members
132 posts
3,412 battles
12 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I disagree, as detonation is definitely based on historical fact. Here are some ships that have detonated:

In April of 1865 the steamboat Sultana blew up, killing nearly 1800 Civil War POWs.

In May of 1941, the Bismark shelled the Battlecruiser HMS Hood, causing it to detonate, killing all but three of the crew.

In November of 1941, the HMS Barham, a Queen Elisabeth Class battleship, detonated after being torpedoed, killing over 800.

In July of 1944, two US transport vessels loading ammunition exploded, killing over 300 sailors.

In December of 1944 the SS Burke was hit by a kamakaze and exploded, killing all of her crew.

In April of 1947 the SS Grandcamp exploded, killing 581 people in the town of Texas City, Texas.

They also had satellites back in WWII as well,

which explains why radar works through islands and mountains.

It's called fun and engaging gameplay, in which the current state of radar and detonations are not.

[INTEL]
Members
8,592 posts
25,732 battles
33 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

None of these detonations save Hood are modeled in the game. Barham detonated when fires reached her magazine -- not modeled in the game. The rest are not even worth discussing.

The OP nails the biggest problem with Special AFKs -- I mean, detonations -- 12 people are hurt by them. Teams that suffer these random AFKs via detonations, especially early of BBs or capping DDs, have a lower chance to win. 

That's completely wrong. 

• Cool 3

[PSP]
Members
6,315 posts
8,937 battles

If a transport can detonate when the crew is simply transferring cargo don't you think that it would be that much easier to detonate a ship via an act of sabotage, a shell or torpedo. And how can you say that none of those detonations but the Hood are modeled in the game? The game has torpedoes and bombs the last time I played it. A kamikaze is a plane with a bomb that runs into a ship rather than dropping said bomb. It's the same explosion. If a kamikaze can detonate a ship so could an aerial bomb. If a sub-launched torpedo can detonate a ship so can an aerial or ship-launched torpedo.

Ever wonder why the game designers allowed for the possibility of detonation when the base of a turret was hit by a torpedo or shell? If you don't understand how this could happen then watch the video below:

Edited by Snargfargle

[INTEL]
Members
8,592 posts
25,732 battles

How can I say that they aren't modeled? Because they aren't modeled in the game! 

Don't you get it, Snargle? WG wants to speed up kill rates and shorten matches. Wouldn't it be awesome if it could introduce a totally random method for simply removing ships? The problem is that the players would never accept a method called RANDOM AFK under which their ships simply randomly go AFK and drop from the game. The playerbase hates AFKs.

So they played a terminology game. How can we make RANDOM AFKs cool? I know! We can call them "detonations" that occur when ship A points its guns at ship B. Then people will argue about "detonations" which some portion of the player base will think cool and others enjoy because they know people are hurt by them.

The truth is that a detonation is a random AFK. Here are two scenarios, with only two ships, one of which actually happened to me:

1. A Des Moines is entering a cap in pursuit of a smoked DD. He needs only light it with radar, kill the low health DD to win. He goes AFK. DD realizes it, torps Des Moines at his leisure, collects all its HP, and wins match.

2. A Des Moines is entering a cap in pursuit of a DD in similar situation. The DD shoots at it in desperation, detonating it, collects all its HP, and wins match.

These are functionally identical. "Detonation" is just WG's way of getting you to accept RANDOM AFKs, which you would never accept if they were called Special AFKs or Random AFKs or similar.

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 2

[PSP]
Members
6,315 posts
8,937 battles

Detonation isn't just the random removal of any old ship from the game. You are creating a straw man here. Detonations in WOWS require significant damage to a magazine module.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detonation

All of you here know good and well that you can completely avoid detonations by choosing to mount certain modules and signal flags. Don't whine that WG won't remove an aspect of the game that you don't like when they have given you the option of doing it yourself.

• Cool 2

[BSL]
Members
740 posts
14,567 battles
51 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Detonation isn't just the random removal of any old ship from the game. You are creating a straw man here. Detonations in WOWS require significant damage to a magazine module.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detonation

All of you here know good and well that you can completely avoid detonations by choosing to mount certain modules and signal flags. Don't whine that WG won't remove an aspect of the game that you don't like when they have given you the option of doing it yourself.

So -100% isn't really -100%.....

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,885 posts
10,675 battles

So let me get this straight here. If a full salvo/torp spread lands and takes a full strength ship out for a Dev Strike people are okay with it. 1 shot/launch = 1 kill. BUT if a shell/torp/bomb hits and penetrates to a magazine and detonates the same ship under the same circumstances people go off the end of the pier? I don't get it? It is the same exact thing. You aim and shoot and then hope RNG blesses you. Bottom line is in both normal Dev Strikes and Detonations you got hit where it hurts and went POOF! Same results from same enemy action. Just fewer shells to do it.

If Bismarck had actually landed multiple hits that penetrated to vital areas/magazines in the fateful salvo on HMS Hood to sink it would that be any less devastating or final than the way it happened with the 1 shell penetrating to a magazine and doing it? Come on guys this is not some made up game mechanic to make the games go quicker or by some developer with no IQ. This is a real thing that can happen in naval combat.

This is a legit thing that can and has happened in real battles. People need to get over this. Now, with that said, the guy above who says his Yamato got detonated by a DD using HE has a gripe. That is ridiculous. Short of a round fired by the DD actually going down the barrel of a main gun and detonating a loaded shell in it, thus setting off some kind of chain reaction in the guns magazine, that ain't happening IRL. A BB detonating another BB or CL/DD, a CL detonating another CL or a DD, or a DD detonating another DD or even a lightly armored CL with guns ok but not as described in the Yamato v Gearing. Torps or bombs detonating ships is also totally realistic.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1