Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Trying out a new Cleveland Build

13 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles

With the current opportunity to redistribute skills for free I thought I'd make a close examination of my Cleveland and its commander. I've been running it with a maximum AA build, other than the second fighter skill. It's done very well against planes, downing up to 36 in a single game. However, it seems I only face a carrier one in every five games so I'm wondering if this build is the best for overall play? The Cleveland has an AA rating into the 60s even without Basic and Advanced Firing Training so I'm wondering if these points would be better distributed elsewhere.

Here's an alternate build that I've been trying:

Priority target -- nice to know how many are targeting you.

Preventative Maintenance -- I find that without this I'm losing modules too often.

Adrenaline Rush -- This lowers reload time by a couple of seconds or more when you are low on hitpoints. It came in handy in my last few battles.

Demolition Expert -- This brings fire-starting back up to 11% when IHFE is taken.

Inertial Fuse for HE -- 152 mm HE will penetrate only 24 mm, with he this increases to 32mm, which allows bow. stern and other areas of a tier VIII BB to be penetrated.

Concealment Expert  -- This plus the concealment module lower detection range to 11.4 km, which is well within the effective range of the guns. 

What I've given up:

Basic and Advanced firing training plus Directional Fire, which boost AA rating from 63 to 81 and AA range from 6 km to 7.2 km. However. even without AA-specific skills I shot down 13 planes in the last game I played and came in second on the winning team to boot.

Expert Marksman, which slows down the turret traverse somewhat but if you've gotten used to playing lower-tier British BBs you sort of get used to this and learn to compensate. As I only have a 15-point commander I have 4 points to play around with in the future though so I can add this back in,

What do you think? Go AA, ship-killer or something in-between?

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles

I have another question. If I train two commanders in the same ship can I then move them to and from the reserve into that ship without a retraining penalty?

Edited by Snargfargle

[LOU1]
Members
3,034 posts
8,128 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I have another question. If I train two commanders in the same ship can I then move them to and from the reserve into that ship without a retraining penalty?

Yes.

• Cool 1

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
780 posts
6,665 battles

Minus the Preventive Maintenance, and adding in AFT to round out the build is what I would consider to be the standard all-around build for the Cleveland. Cleveland benefits greatly from the DE + AFT + CE + IFHE combo, but you have to sacrifice turret traverse to get it. With CE, Cleveland's air detection is 7.1km. So with AFT and the AA range module, you can start shooting at planes as soon as you're spotted. 

Essentially the build is:

Priority Target

Adrenaline Rush

Demolition Expert

Concealment Expert + IFHE + Advanced Firing Training

Edited by Cruiser_Chicago
  • Cool 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

I'd go anti-ship and trust the ship's reputation to keep the planes away.  I wouldn't buy DE, but I'm not interested in that argument again.

Edited by crzyhawk

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles

Ok, I'll try this for a couple of games.

PT, PM

AR

DE

IFHE, AFT

That's all of the points I have available now as my commander only has 15. I can add CE when he reaches 19.

This build gives a respectable AA rating of 75 while also allowing HE to penetrate bow and stern of tier VIII BBs and yet still have an 11% fire chance per hit. AA range is also 7.2 km.

I'm still on the fence about whether to take AR or EM. I've gotten used to a faster turret traverse but think I can get used to a slower one.

I'm a bit on the fence about AR. According to the in-game info it decreases reload time by 0.2% for every 1% of hitpoints lost. This means that one would get a bit less than 20% faster reloads maximum. However, I've never gotten faster than 7.5 second reloads in the games I've played with it so I wonder if this skill is worth it. The standard reload is 8 seconds. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

I commit the great heresy and trained out of AR too.  I'd definitely use EM, with an anti-ship build you will find yourself pushing smoke with Hydro and the turrets simply don't track well enough anymore at close ranges.

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles
Just now, crzyhawk said:

I commit the great heresy and trained out of AR too.  I'd definitely use EM, with an anti-ship build you will find yourself pushing smoke with Hydro and the turrets simply don't track well enough anymore at close ranges.

I'm definitely leaning toward this direction.

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

Its hard to argue with the "tried and true" - the Cleveland is an amazing ship when played to her strengths. 

"Tried and True" Cleveland Skipper Skills

Reinventing the wheel can be a fun experiment - but I'm not sure its warranted in this case.

lX38zOx.jpg

Edited by ddoubletapp1

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles

So you think that expert loader is the way to go? If so, as much as I like the Cleveland (I even have permanent camo on it via a 1000 doubloon supercontainer), I really out to put the Steven Seagal commander in it to take advantage of the boost to EM and EL. I currently have him in a New Orleans but I can always retrain another commander for that ship.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

So you think that expert loader is the way to go? If so, as much as I like the Cleveland (I even have permanent camo on it via a 1000 doubloon supercontainer), I really out to put the Steven Seagal commander in it to take advantage of the boost to EM and EL. I currently have him in a New Orleans but I can always retrain another commander for that ship.

For me it was more what to do with that last point, as PT is my first choice.

However, when you see you're about to surprise a broadside cruiser as you round an island - it sure can be a handy skill to have.  I find it more useful than any of the other choices, for that last point.

And as you were discussing with another member - EM over AR.  All.Day.Long- ha ha!

Mr. Seagal commands my DM - and does a pretty good job of it - wish I had another of him to put into Iowa, though!

[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
877 posts
7,240 battles

I wonder how effective the secondaries on the Cleveland can be if kitted out for it. I realize that the Cleveland is incredibly squishy, but I just want to see if any hilarity will result from seeing a secondary specced Cleveland running around. Was inspired when I noticed that the Cleveland has the heaviest secondary broadside of any of the tier 6 cruisers.

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles
39 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

I wonder how effective the secondaries on the Cleveland can be if kitted out for it. 

I got a DD kill the other day with the Cleveland's secondaries. That was still when I had Basic Firing Training. I was firing at some ships in the distance, darting in and out from behind a rock and sort of had tunnel vision. Suddenly, I hear my secondaries start up and frantically begin looking around. Before I can even find the close-in ship, I hear "We have sunk an enemy destroyer." He must not have had many hitpoints left. 

Sign in to follow this