You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
guns_at_last_light

Question about premium ships in MM

10 comments in this topic

Members
417 posts

My last battle featured 2 premium ships on the green team (Scharn, Murmansk) and 4 on the red team (Scharn, Atlanta, Belfast, Molotov). That was pretty unfortunate, especially when the red team also had 2 DDs compared to our one. Perhaps there was a balance between the number of ships that each team has per tier, but 4 premiums vs 2 premiums seems like something that shouldn't happen. Does anyone know how WG balances MM when premiums are involved?

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,178 posts
14,610 battles

Premiums don't get special treatment for MM, and they never should.  Some of those Premiums are pretty terrible also.  So seeing a Premium on the other team should not be a red flag for a dangerous threat by itself.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,363 posts
12,184 battles

Most don't get special treatment in MM. I think Yubari never sees higher than T4 is all.

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,047 posts
10,497 battles

What Hazegray said is absolutely true.  MM will try to do as close to a mirror MM as possible depending on the amount of people in cue for the tier range.  At tier 10 you will often see mirrored BB's on each side.  Premium ships as a whole are not better than their in game sister ships, they are mostly equivalent with a few slightly better and a few slightly worse.  It's not an MM consideration to balance premiums vs non premiums.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles
25 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Most don't get special treatment in MM. I think Yubari never sees higher than T4 is all.

I can tell you from personal experience that this is a ... misconception; I see all kinds of tier 5 battles.

Members
417 posts

I understand that being in a premium doesn't make you a better player, but I would consider the Belfast (OP enough to be pulled from sale), Molotov (big guns), and Atlanta (ROF) to have some pretty substantial gimmicks.

Here's the breakdown for the game I was referring to:

Ship Ship Tier Green Team Red Team
 Battleship  5  2  2
 Battleship  6  1  1
 Battleship  7  2 (1 prem)  2 (1 prem)
 Cruiser  5  2  1
 Cruiser  6  2  2 (1 prem)
 Cruiser  7  2  2 (2 prem)
 Destroyer  5  0  0
 Destroyer  6  0  1
 Destroyer  7  1  1

In exchange for losing a T5 cruiser (i.e. squishy cruiser) the red team got a T6 destroyer in a match that started with only 2 uncontested caps.

Fun fact: the red team was steamrolled anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by guns_at_last_light

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,178 posts
14,610 battles
1 minute ago, guns_at_last_light said:

I understand that being in a premium doesn't make you a better player, but I would consider the Belfast (OP enough to be pulled from sale), Molotov (big guns), and Atlanta (ROF) to have some pretty substantial gimmicks.

Here's the breakdown for the game I was referring to:

Ship Ship Tier Green Team Red Team
Battleship 5 2 2
Battleship 6 1 1
Battleship 7 2 (1 prem) 2 (1 prem)
Cruiser 5 2 1
Cruiser 6 2 2 (1 prem)
Cruiser 7 2 2 (2 prem)
Destroyer 5 0 0
Destroyer 6 0 1
Destroyer 7 1 1

In exchange for losing a T5 cruiser (i.e. squishy cruiser) the red team got a T6 destroyer in a match that started with only 2 uncontested caps.

Fun fact: the red team was steamrolled anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You see, your consideration on "Good" Premiums being weighed by MM doesn't hold water.

Belfast is great.

Molotov ***WAS*** great but IMO is garbage now.

Atlanta is fodder.

Ship type (DD, Cruiser, etc), Ship tier should remain the only considerations for MM.  There's variations of course, i.e. one team having 1 more of a ship type while the other has one less, etc.  All that is fine, IMO.  The only misgiving I have with MM is the coddling of Tier IV.

[WFSDL]
Members
610 posts
8,404 battles

Ship's, prem or not, don't really matter, it's the pilot that matters.    Oh, and rank rating doesn't matter either, just in case.  Had a game earlier, they had more prems, and more higher ranked players, and we rockedem.  

Like any sport, on any given day....

[FOXEH]
Members
3,363 posts
12,184 battles
22 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I can tell you from personal experience that this is a ... misconception; I see all kinds of tier 5 battles.

You are right. It sees T5 at Max. From LWM's review "Has special matchmaking.  Unlike other T4 cruisers, the Yubari will only see a maximum of tier 5 opponents."

I should know that. I've got one. Just having sailed that bundle of fun in a while.

Edited by Khafni

[NMKJT]
Members
2,736 posts
13 minutes ago, Khafni said:

You are right. It sees T5 at Max. From LWM's review "Has special matchmaking.  Unlike other T4 cruisers, the Yubari will only see a maximum of tier 5 opponents."

I should know that. I've got one. Just having sailed that bundle of fun in a while.

That is no longer the case, all T4 sees T5 max now. That is an old review

Belfast, Scharnhorst, Molotov, they're right at the top for their tier/class. Atlanta is middle of the pack.

But you rolled them anyway, because the player has a much greater influence on the outcome than the ship.