Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chobittsu

World's First Piloted Robot Duel ends in draw

52 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

4,314
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,578 posts

Believed to have been cancelled, the duel took place in secret between Suidobashi Heavy Industry's Kuratas and Megabots, Inc.'s Eagle Prime and Iron Glory.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,314
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,578 posts
1 minute ago, KingCakeBaby said:

Lame.

What'd you expect? Gundams doing backflips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,072 posts
4,514 battles
12 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

What'd you expect? Gundams doing backflips?

No I expected it to be lame, just not that lame.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,314
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,578 posts
2 minutes ago, KingCakeBaby said:

No I expected it to be lame, just not that lame.

Well then move along and let other people enjoy it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,719 posts
3,130 battles
33 minutes ago, KingCakeBaby said:

No I expected it to be lame, just not that lame.

 

Don't think it was lame, more like obviously scripted. Was kind of hoping for an actual fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,314
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,578 posts
8 minutes ago, devastator5000 said:

 

Don't think it was lame, more like obviously scripted. Was kind of hoping for an actual fight.

Aye, but no less so than american wrestling, I'm sure the details will come out eventually.
I wasn't surprised that the US won it though, their bot was a more aggressive design while the Kuratas is more of a retrofitted moving sculpture/tech demo with weapons slapped on after the fact

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,266
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles
1 hour ago, Chobittsu said:

What'd you expect?

I had no idea what to expect; what I was hoping for was video of a Predator drone (or some other American drone) taking out someone else's drone. So I guess I am mildly disappointed, but not really, ya know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,314
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,578 posts
Just now, Umikami said:

I had no idea what to expect; what I was hoping for was video of a Predator drone (or some other American drone) taking out someone else's drone. So I guess I am mildly disappointed, but not really, ya know?

Theres been remote-control robotic fights going on for years, this was the first piloted giant robot fight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,266
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles
Just now, Chobittsu said:

Theres been remote-control robotic fights going on for years, this was the first piloted giant robot fight

Honestly, I'd rather see the real stuff; bigger booms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,314
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,578 posts
Just now, Umikami said:

Honestly, I'd rather see the real stuff; bigger booms.

Well you're never going to see that unless 1. You live in a warzone and both sides start using mechs, or 2. They allow these mechs to carry real weapons and forgo any safety features for the pilots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,266
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles
1 minute ago, Chobittsu said:

Well you're never going to see that unless 1. You live in a warzone and both sides start using mechs, or 2. They allow these mechs to carry real weapons and forgo any safety features for the pilots

or just watch Predator vids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,314
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,578 posts
Just now, Umikami said:

or just watch Predator vids

Not piloted, and drone-on-random usually non-moving target isn't overly impressive unless you're a Fox News anchor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,586 posts
883 battles

I wouldn't call it an American win, since the score was 1:1. I'm not sure what I was expecting this fight to be but I have to remember that it is the first of its kind. If this continues to draw attention I am sure later fights will be much more exciting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,752
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

I kinda hope this sort of thing gains lots of popularity and stops being as scripted, or at least as obviously as scripted as this.

 

Either way, this was seriously awesome. I can just see more people wanting to build bigger and better mechs for this type of thing. Faster, stronger, harder hitting, and heavier mechs slugging it out to the death.

Obviously there'd have to be limited on what exactly can be used due to safety reasons for the pilots. But thats easily done. Guns would be paint ball cannons or airsoft, bladed weapons wouldn't be able to be very sharp (more akin to a edged club) and a horsepower limit to blunt weapons, as well as regulations for the way the cockpits are built. Even so I could still totally see it being a thing. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,642 posts
2,155 battles

Seems like a pit to me

This kind of thing doesn't seem to be very popular, never even heard of it till now, and those machines can't be cheap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
375
[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles

The original duel called by Megabots was with Glory-- the challenge and the response was both issued when only Glory was a thing. The "You have a giant robot, we have a giant robot, you know what that means? We challenge you to a duel."
They stalled it out to bring out Eagle Prime.

A fight that was a crapstomping.

That having been said, the first giant robot duel was Japan's victory. The second giant Robot fight was a US victory- brought on by building a second mech built specifically to counter Japan's mech.

Edited by AirshipCanon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,314
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,578 posts
1 hour ago, AirshipCanon said:

That having been said, the first giant robot duel was Japan's victory. The second giant Robot fight was a US victory- brought on by building a second mech built specifically to counter Japan's mech.

 

Sounds like a typical US thing to do, wait until you know what the fight is so you don't have to fight fair.
I'll alter the thread title

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
375
[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles
22 hours ago, Kitsunelegend said:

I kinda hope this sort of thing gains lots of popularity and stops being as scripted, or at least as obviously as scripted as this.

 

Either way, this was seriously awesome. I can just see more people wanting to build bigger and better mechs for this type of thing. Faster, stronger, harder hitting, and heavier mechs slugging it out to the death.

Obviously there'd have to be limited on what exactly can be used due to safety reasons for the pilots. But thats easily done. Guns would be paint ball cannons or airsoft, bladed weapons wouldn't be able to be very sharp (more akin to a edged club) and a horsepower limit to blunt weapons, as well as regulations for the way the cockpits are built. Even so I could still totally see it being a thing. :)

 

The paint cannons on the MegaBots mechs are lethal [in fact so would a full force hit from the Kuratas, hence the reasoning behind the delay]. It can scale up. 
That chainsaw was a rock cutter.

Weapons would have to remain a fair deal of power and potential lethality else they cannot stop the other mech.

Giant Fightin' robots is a very risky prospect period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,314
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,578 posts
27 minutes ago, AirshipCanon said:

 

 

It's only a matter of time~

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
375
[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles

As a thought, melee combat was a given in this:
Paint cannons can't do crap [that Incendiary shell that MegaBots showed off is not withstanding]-- the one tauted by Megabots only delievers about 1300 ft/lbs of force [it's about the same as a .22lr]. Yes, that's lethal damage to a person or into a crumplezone of a vehicle. It's not going to do anything to any form of armor. 

And we saw that in the duel.

"It must include melee combat", Japan? Well no crap. That's the only way to damage the target really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,314
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,578 posts
4 hours ago, AirshipCanon said:

Paint cannons can't do crap

Not physically, no, but paint blocks cameras, and when you're that big you need extra eyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×