You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
puxflacet

Fix the camouflages

25 comments in this topic

Modder
341 posts
14 battles

Dear WG,

when the first camos were introduced I was like "ok, preliminary measure. will get better in time" but nothing changed and in fact more of these monstrosities were added into the game.

Since you made good looking premium camos I suppose you know how naval camo should look like. But in-game regular camos do not look like historical/realistic/usable camo at all and on top of that they are ugly as hell (imho).

So why are premium camos good-looking and regular ones are not? Because almost every premium camo is historical or semi-historical and as their real templates none of these camouflages is TILED.

And i think that this is the main problem with regular camouflages in game - how these are executed - in fact all of these camos are tiled:

8K8STdA.jpg

as you can see: two different repeating patterns for each half of the ship look very inauthentic, clumsy but also not very aesthetical

I understand the reasons: it was easy and quick way to produce them, but they simply look wrong and provisional. Practically no naval camo was tiled (few exceptions like early experimental stuff) - but in fact typical naval camo is one irregular pattern covering the whole hull, because the purpose is to distort the ship's silhouette through optical illusions and thus regularity in pattern can negate the desired effect.

hm2Hnhq.jpg

CLICK FOR HI-RES

If you look closely at these examples above you'll understand that there is just one big irregular pattern and no tiling involved. So to make convincingly looking naval camo there has to be one big complex pattern put over the whole ship's hull.

MY SUGGESTION

Vr1yWm5.jpg

Spoiler

...and here is actual example how i would solve 3 basic camouflages for germany:

Type 1 Camouflage:

Current:

Spoiler

1JcXKPu.jpg

Suggestion:

Spoiler

ISux6m2.png

Type 2 Camouflage:

Current:

Spoiler

0UvyHWC.jpg

Suggestion:

Spoiler

w8ev1yq.png

Type 5 Camouflage:

Current:

Spoiler

UAbWVzt.jpg

Suggestion:

Spoiler

7IsIv4L.png

I believe that good-looking naval camos are achievable and wg can keep current concept of national camos. I think it is possible to apply just one big pattern on every ship just like in the picture above with desirable results - most importantly without unnatural and ugly tiling.

Please do something about it, because I think I am not the only one who can not stand looking at the current regular camos.

EDIT:  so far i valued the camos only from aesthetical point of view, but could these camo also work in game as intended in real life - confuse the enemy?

question for you guys: have you ever been confused by in-game camo like wondering for few seconds in which direction is targeted ship heading?

Edited by puxflacet
  • Cool 7

[PSP]
Members
6,262 posts
8,901 battles
21 minutes ago, puxflacet said:

question for you guys: have you ever been confused by in-game camo like wondering for few seconds in which direction is targeted ship heading?

Not really, but I have sat there admiring some of the prettier ones so long that I forgot to shoot.

[B2P]
Members
514 posts
13,642 battles
23 minutes ago, puxflacet said:

EDIT:  so far i valued the camos only from aesthetical point of view, but could these camo also work in game as intended in real life - confuse the enemy?

I believe that is what the +4% to enemy dispersion is supposed to represent with most of the camos - some confusion on the part of firing control as to your ship's actual speed and heading.

[PSP]
Members
6,262 posts
8,901 battles

I generally like my historically-based games to be as historically accurate as possible. However, I have to admit that I get a kick out of some of the WOWS "camouflages." I really like the way that the School Bus camo brightens up a ship. Probably my favorite standard camo, however, is the concealment-only purchasable camo for the IJN destroyers as it reminds me of the historical camo uniforms the USMC wore in the South Pacific.

shot-15-11-06_08-43-39-0320.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,397 battles

Puxflacet, you don't get camos until a service record of about 10 or 12. At 14 battles you must have registered or something. Do have a good point though

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,397 battles
Just now, Ghostdog1355 said:

Puxflacet, you don't get camos until a service record of about 10 or 12. At 14 battles you must have registered or something. Do have a good point though

Re-registered I meant

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,101 posts
12,663 battles

I can think of three reasons why this system remains the status quo today:

1. Legacy reasons, as you have stated.
  2. Versatility reasons: Camos that are not ship-specific need to be scalable to work on any ship in the game. One way of achieving that is by using tiling -- you just tile it a few more times on larger ships than smaller ones.
  3. Texture memory reasons: A tiled pattern only takes up one tile's worth of video texture memory.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

The most ugly camo for me is the Banana coloured one. 

I saw a Pensacola with that camo today. Not sure how he managed to fit his massive balls on that ship, or it was just stupidity to put the brightest camo on a glass canon...

Modder
341 posts
14 battles
On 18. 10. 2017 at 10:16 PM, Edgecase said:

1. Versatility reasons: Camos that are not ship-specific need to be scalable to work on any ship in the game. One way of achieving that is by using tiling -- you just tile it a few more times on larger ships than smaller ones.

well i think scaling isnt the issue. you can scale the whole pattern to ship's dimension and these dont differ that much. and as you can see from my suggestion picture, the pattern doesnt have to fit the ships exact shape (theoretically)...there can be however some issue with texturing the whole surface of the ship. like horizontal areas and longitudinal axis of the ship can produce ugly seam maybe...

1. Texture memory reasons: A tiled pattern only takes up one tile's worth of video texture memory.

well i am pretty sure thats not a problem at all since they would still use one tile but just stretched it to the whole ship

however there were already introduced some camos which used only 2 tiles so that they look almost like one pattern - namely element camos from the event. however it is visible that gun turrets still causes some troubles with texturing because they all share the same exact pattern

YgpTKb0.jpg

Y4pSCG3.jpg

but since i'm not 100% sure about the implementation this is just theoretical debate...

On 18. 10. 2017 at 10:26 PM, joris92 said:

The most ugly camo for me is the Banana coloured one. 

I saw a Pensacola with that camo today. Not sure how he managed to fit his massive balls on that ship, or it was just stupidity to put the brightest camo on a glass canon...

i actually dont mind it that much. i think we need more one color skins. i would love to see mountbatten pink for the british...and some ships look really classy in plain naval grey. i would love to have premium camo just with shiny naval grey without the rust. i dont get why people tend to b*tch about it (prinz eugen, hood, tashkent...)

Spoiler

10271565_280843998743227_919212299044540

1f6afc9414249838ade1f690e0064179.jpg

bb_55_north_carolina__november_1942____s

Edited by puxflacet

[PSP]
Members
6,262 posts
8,901 battles

In the Army and Marines, messages to the enemy were supposed to deter them from firing at you. The only problem was that the enemy probably didn't speak or read English.

fb4ae086409862604800ee3a8e608c47.gif 

Edited by Snargfargle

[S0L0]
Members
225 posts
5,424 battles

There's a mod that will make every ship have their own camouflage already, it's the best I can say here.
it's just not updated to 0.6.12 yet (at the time of writing this), but I'll link it anyway.

Modder
341 posts
14 battles
On 18. 10. 2017 at 10:59 PM, JB_24 said:

There's a mod that will make every ship have their own camouflage already, it's the best I can say here.
it's just not updated to 0.6.12 yet (at the time of writing this), but I'll link it anyway.

but they are still tiled...and actually i would like to have the opposite: non-tiled universal national camos

Edited by puxflacet

[S0L0]
Members
225 posts
5,424 battles
2 minutes ago, puxflacet said:

but they are still tiled...and actually i would like to have the opposite: non-tiled universal camo that can fit every ship

oh I see, that's going to need editing with the Camouflage.xml file

Even though I am interested in how that'll look. :)

Members
400 posts
6,311 battles

I built a model of the Bismark when I was younger. The premium camo they have for it in the game is the one I painted on the model at the time and the model directions on the paint said it was one of it's camo. 

Members
3,470 posts
6,173 battles

I don't notice the camo on other ships unless it is an ARP/HSF - they don't, in general, bother me at all.

Modder
341 posts
14 battles
15 hours ago, CylonRed said:

I don't notice the camo on other ships unless it is an ARP/HSF - they don't, in general, bother me at all.

arp and hsf are like night and day. arp's over-the-top style is really nothing for me but hsf skins look better than some premiums. 

Edited by puxflacet

Modder
341 posts
14 battles

i decided to bump this thread a little and show my suggestion best way possible - visually...

Regular Camouflages Replacement Suggestion:

GERMANY

Type 1 Camouflage:

Current:

Spoiler

1JcXKPu.jpg

Suggestion:

Spoiler

ISux6m2.png

Type 2 Camouflage:

Current:

Spoiler

0UvyHWC.jpg

Suggestion:

Spoiler

w8ev1yq.png

Type 5 Camouflage:

Current:

Spoiler

UAbWVzt.jpg

Suggestion:

Spoiler

7IsIv4L.png

thats just showcase for germany, but illustrates what i am aming for - distinctive national camouflages shared with every ship which look both aesthectical and plausable

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,148 battles
On 10/18/2017 at 3:16 PM, Edgecase said:

I can think of three reasons why this system remains the status quo today:

1. Legacy reasons, as you have stated.
  2. Versatility reasons: Camos that are not ship-specific need to be scalable to work on any ship in the game. One way of achieving that is by using tiling -- you just tile it a few more times on larger ships than smaller ones.
  3. Texture memory reasons: A tiled pattern only takes up one tile's worth of video texture memory.

I can almost promise you that it's not scaling. The murmansk and the mikhail kutuzov have the exact same camo design but it's scaled differently. 

Modder
341 posts
14 battles
9 minutes ago, Raptor_alcor said:

I can almost promise you that it's not scaling. The murmansk and the mikhail kutuzov have the exact same camo design but it's scaled differently. 

youre right. i never realized that.

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,148 battles
5 minutes ago, puxflacet said:

youre right. i never realized that.

Don't forget about the atlanta/iowa camo sharing, the later having an EXTREMELY stretched version of the former. 

Modder
341 posts
14 battles

but the fact is even that murmansk and kutuzov have the same camo their files are taylored for the ships hulls...i know that right now the mapping of the ship's surfaces isnt optimalized for the suggestion i made - like superstructure and gun turret mapping isnt align with hull mapping. the thing is that right now there exist two ways of applying camos on the ship and thats through camouflages which does the tiling and through the skins which are individual files for every ship and camo is applied directly on them...and i think thats not the ideal situation. i believe that wg will have to do proper mapping of the ships' hulls at some point because it will be very practical and save them lot of time in the future

Edited by puxflacet