SuperNikoPower

0.6.12 - Smoke Changes / Ship Detection Feedback

72 comments in this topic

[TBOW]
Beta Testers
3,265 posts
653 battles

With 0.6.12, new smoke changes were implemented. After you play a few battles, drop in the comments below and let us know what you think of them. 

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
282 posts
2,279 battles

I still didn't played, but from the numbers I saw in port, I think that this makes the smoke useless as a team point of view, BBs should get at least 25% bonus to their spotting range, by that I mean, if he usually is spotted from 10km now he would be spotted from 7.5km or maybe have a different approach and make so smoke last less time when guns are being fired from inside it, like every shell takes away a bit of time. The bigger the guns, the more time it removes!

[FIST]
Members
25 posts

Minotaur smoke is worthless now. The whole line has been sunk with the smoke nerf.

Unacceptable

Edit - 

IF any of the changes to concealment were meant to discourage overly pacifist play on the part of CL's or BB's, this change has had the opposite effect.

Also, for the last several weeks now finding a german BB in secondary range of enemy ships happens 1/10 games. 

Pacifism is ruining game-play.

Edited by Trippyee
  • Cool 5

[TNG-2]
Beta Testers
4,294 posts
8,748 battles

Great change to reduce mechanics that slowed down play and encouraged passive tactics.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,901 posts
28 minutes ago, HMSVampire said:

Great change to reduce mechanics that slowed down play and encouraged passive tactics.

I don't think this will have the effect you think it will....:cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[TNG-2]
Beta Testers
4,294 posts
8,748 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

I don't think this will have the effect you think it will....:cap_hmm:

Less BBs trying to use smoke clouds is the only thing I want to happen.

Members
2,907 posts
6,019 battles

Played 15 games and I did not see any incident of any ship appear in SMOKE when they fired their gun(s).  Maybe I was too far away..Guess I can replay some files and examine some more. 

Members
205 posts
12,761 battles

pretty much made DD's and cruisers useless'  now nowhere to hide.  If it ain't broke don"t fix it!

• Cool 3

Members
48 posts
4,297 battles

The new smoke mechanics are fine for DDs and CAs - the bloom when you shoot from smoke is really not a penalty.  If you are a DD or a CA and get spotted while firing from smoke then you were  too darn close to that target to begin with.  The only real change is to the BBs where they cannot hide in smoke any longer and just sit there passively blasting everyone. 

I believe this new mechanic is great.  Really is not a nerf to either DDs or CAs.  It's just a well deserved remake of the smoke mechanics to stop BBs from playing so passively  (I'm a BB player and have no problem whatsoever with how it now works)

Good work, WG, in coming up with this practical solution to what used to be a continuing problem

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
178 posts
2,022 battles

Soo... guess this makes it even harder now to get into secondaries range on my German BBs... so y'all just wanted to give people even more reason to stay back and fire then because in the games I play most BBs that do make use of smoke are the ones that are actively pushing so they don't get burned alive. Also smoke was used to conceal BBs IRL.

http://rebrn.com/re/naval-smokescreen-from-wwii-3331541/

• Cool 2

[TOG]
Members
3,546 posts
18,763 battles

I've been getting better games in the conqueror and I don't go into smoke. BB's who go bow tank into the smoke are being hammered.

[VIRUS]
Members
8 posts
7,639 battles

Played a dozen of high tier games, and I have to say this smoke change encourages passive playstyle, esp. battleships, and indirectly screwed those CA/CLs who support their DDs.  Battleships now prefer to stay at the base rather than sail 1/4 speed forward.

I know the change is intend to reduce the effct of passive gameplay esp. ranked battles, but from what I saw it does the opposite.

• Cool 1

[PRO2D]
Members
28 posts
9,050 battles

Worst change ever all British Cruisers are useless.  all wargaming does is do changes that make no sense.  First american dd's with the invisa fire get axed not this.  one more dumb idea and Im done with this game

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
5 posts
4,151 battles

I was in the middle of being a recovering IJN DD player by going up the Brit line. I've just gotten the Neptune, and purchased the Adm Kutuzov because I enjoyed the cruiser line with smoke so much.

0.6.12 drops, now I can't play the cruisers the DD way, and I hate them for the same reason I couldn't enjoy non-DD play before. If BBs in smoke is the problem, nerf only the BBs in smoke. The Brits and the Adm Kutuzov barely qualify as tin cans, they need smoke to survive in any kind of proximity to the enemy. Now that they can be so easily spotted, their play style has completely changed. DDs can hang out in the vicinity and spot the cruisers, making them too easy as targets. FYI, I checked to see if the camo skill or the concealment upgrade affected the smoke spotting, and they didn't.

In my opinion, there is ZERO point playing it risky and getting close with these cruisers now, you will be eliminated immediately. No DD hunting, no corner camping.

No thanks, you just sent me right back to stealth torping in my IJN DDs.

• Cool 2

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
601 posts
14,552 battles

"How it works

Each ship has the Detectability after firing the main guns in smoke parameter, which depends on the gun caliber and type of ship. See parameter values for each ship at the end of the section."

Outright lies they just picked numbers for different ships and slapped a nerf on those they deemed worthy.  How can Khab's 130mm guns be detected at a longer range than Udaloi's 130mm guns?

How are diifferent 152 mm guns detected at different ranges?

The explanation is a outright lie.   

All calibers should have the same detection ring while firing from smoke not cherry picked numbers off the top of some developers head!

Edited by Black_Sheep9
  • Cool 1

[CUTE]
Supertester
4,123 posts
4,206 battles
Just now, Black_Sheep9 said:

"How it works

Each ship has the Detectability after firing the main guns in smoke parameter, which depends on the gun caliber and type of ship. See parameter values for each ship at the end of the section."

Outright lies the just picked numbers for different ships and slapped a nerf on those they deemed worthy.  How can Khab's 130mm guns be detected at a longer range than Udaloi's 130mm guns?

How are diifferent 152 mm guns detected at different ranges?

The explanation is a outright lie.   

All calibers should have the same detection ring while firing from smoke not cherry picked numbers off the top of some developers head!

Well, it's also based around the detection range of the ships themselves.

• Cool 2

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
601 posts
14,552 battles

Really then how does a Kutuzov fully specialized for concealment and one that has 0 concealment have the same detection then? 

Please show me in the update article where it says this because it is wrong then.

Edited by Black_Sheep9
  • Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,999 posts

I wondered if the commander concealment skill affected it... apparently, per the post above, it has no effect? 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
601 posts
14,552 battles

None, nor does the module they may have some kind of base detection figured into that, but that just seems silly to me.  I am actually a proponent of changing the smoke meta, but there has to be some kind of consistency involved Xmm gun should be spotted at this range and that is that.  Otherwise you're left guessing what the detection range will be while sailing towards the smoke.

Edited by Black_Sheep9

[BB22]
Members
2 posts
12,382 battles

WG stated its based on ship type ie: destroyer, cruiser, battleship, or carrier.  and based on gun caliber ie: 100mm, 152mm, 203mm......     so how does it work that the Kutuzov with 152mm guns has a detectability of 7.7 but the Zao with 203mm has a detectability of 7.2?   

• Cool 2

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
601 posts
14,552 battles
22 minutes ago, naipalm said:

WG stated its based on ship type ie: destroyer, cruiser, battleship, or carrier.  and based on gun caliber ie: 100mm, 152mm, 203mm......     so how does it work that the Kutuzov with 152mm guns has a detectability of 7.7 but the Zao with 203mm has a detectability of 7.2?   

Balanced comrade :Smile_coin:

Want a giggle look at the Omaha, Murmansk, and Marblehead :cap_book:

Edited by Black_Sheep9

Members
2,907 posts
6,019 battles

I dunno now .....I think the detectability should be based on the length, height  and width of the ship as in a volume figure.   The smaller that number means less detectability obviously.  Gun caliber won't be a factor just the physical size that resides in the volume of the SMOKE it sits in.    I think something along those lines maybe better. Any suggestions or ideas on this idea?    The main thing is that the SMOKE mechanic is working at a more realistic expectation and now it needs some fine tuning as to the effect it has on ships within when firing out. 

[WUDPS]
Members
9 posts
7,405 battles

Ship upgrades, commander skills and camo do not change the detection range when firing in smoke.

This doesn't make any sense.  If you take a stealthy version of a ship and put it in smoke is should be more stealthy than a standard one.