You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Middcore

Free commander respec weekend... DCCA on North Carolina, yes or no?

5 comments in this topic

Members
650 posts
1,632 battles

With the opportunity to respec commanders for free this weekend, I am trying to figure out once and for all if it's wort hit to have Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft on the North Carolina. I have seen it recommended on a number of sites and it seems so completely lackluster, even for a 1-point investment. For spotting aircraft it's almost totally useless, for fighters it's only marginally useful for a very brief period. Opinions? 

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,786 battles

You can actually use a spotter aircraft to detect targets behind islands. There was one game where a Texas was hiding behind an island to cap it on Estuary and we lost sight of him because of a lack of DD. I popped my spotter plane on my ship, a Budyonny I think, and it detected him again at which we could keep shooting him again. Having DCCA gives two planes circling so you should be able to spot targets all 360 degrees around you and/or have fighter coverage against CVs if you're using catapult fighter.

Members
650 posts
1,632 battles
45 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

You can actually use a spotter aircraft to detect targets behind islands. There was one game where a Texas was hiding behind an island to cap it on Estuary and we lost sight of him because of a lack of DD. I popped my spotter plane on my ship, a Budyonny I think, and it detected him again at which we could keep shooting him again. Having DCCA gives two planes circling so you should be able to spot targets all 360 degrees around you and/or have fighter coverage against CVs if you're using catapult fighter.

I know you can use the spotter for that. Is there a substantial advantage to having two of them in the air at once, though? Apart from the rare occurrence where one gets shot down (in which case it seems likely the other one would get shot down in short order, too)...

And the duration for BB catapult fighters is so short and CV's rare enough that I am loathe to invest in the skill to counter CVs just like I am reluctant to spec into any other AA skills. 

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

I tried out DCCA on the skipper I ran up the KM BB line - but honestly, I didn't find the investment useful.

Maybe its just me - but I'd rather have a single plane in the air for a longer period of time, than two for a much shorter period.

For myself, I'd rather invest that first point in PT (I like it on all my ships - not just DDs and Cruisers) - and depending on the build you go with, should you end up with a spare point - I believe I'd go with PM, instead.

Members
1,089 posts
6,035 battles
23 hours ago, Middcore said:

I know you can use the spotter for that. Is there a substantial advantage to having two of them in the air at once, though?

In my brief foray into DCCA: Absolutley not.

In theory, it should be a great idea: two spotter aircraft on opposite sides of the semicircle, greatly shortening up the "blind zone", where a single spotter plane is on the wrong part of its flight circle from where you want it at any time.

The reality is that the two planes launch too close together, and are maybe only about 45° around the circle from each other, so the "blind zone" is not reduced a lot. Further, the other part of the "skill" is that the planes fly slower...so, yeah, the "sweet spot" for good spotting might be longer, but the "blind zone" time ends up being longer, as well.

maybe someone who uses it for having two fighters aloft might have a differing opinion, but it would seem to me that the speed slowdown would hurt there, as well.

And don't think of it as just "a one-point investment", consider, rather "is that single point going to make me have to take BFT, for example, and give up, say, Manual AA, Concealment, or AFT?"

Now, as you observed regarding this weekend, if you've got a "spare" skill point or more that you've been saving up, waiting to get another to sink on a bigger commander skill, now is the weekend to put that skill point to temporary use and see what benefit you from using it.

Good luck, and please report back.

[Added] Now, I recall for a longtime, that I rejected the spotter and used the fighter because I didn't like the altered view the spotter gave me on high zoom. But, then I saw the advantages of that angle and switched to the spotter, and of course, enjoyed the additional uptime. Anyway, my experience with  the two planes close together as I described, may be with the fighter only, and it is possible I never tried the DCCA skill with spotter planes, so it might manage spotters differently than my description.

Does anyone have anything to offer on that aspect of the DCCA skill?
Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
added material