You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
1Sherman

Gord Downie, the greatest Canadian to ever rock and roll has passed.

9 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
5,040 posts
2,431 battles

After a heroic battle with cancer, Gord Downie, the legendary frontman for The Tragically Hip, has passed away at the age of 53.

CBC's article on this dark day in music.

After the news broke last year that Gord had terminal brain cancer, The Hip embarked on a Canada-wide tour to promote their latest album, Man Machine Poem, that sold out every venue it visited. The band's final concert in their hometown of Kingston, Ontario was broadcast live on CBC in its entirety, where it was viewed by 11.7 million people, or approximately 1/3 of Canada's population. Since then, Downie has released two solo albums as well, the concept album The Secret Path and the double album Introduce Yerself.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had this to say about the loss of this icon and close friend.

Personally, I am just about ready to curl up into the fetal position and start bawling. The Tragically Hip represents the best that Canadian music has to offer because it embraces where it's from and does things its own way. The death of Canada's greatest singer and the heart of Canada's greatest musicians will be mourned forever.

As such, I'm going to leave this with a collection of some of the best songs that The Hip ever put out, just for those of you who don't quite grasp how much he meant to Canada and every person proud to call this country home.

• Cool 2

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,387 battles

Rush is also Canadian band aren't they? I saw the tragically Hip years ago. Good concert.

Members
566 posts
1,885 battles

I am sorry for  you , That Mr. Downie has found peace at such a youn age. Greef is difficult. Hopefully he lived well and now is past the pain.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,484 battles
3 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

Rush is also Canadian band aren't they? I saw the tragically Hip years ago. Good concert.

Yes, so this clickbait title had my heart in my throat.  No offense meant to Mr. Downie, Lord rest his soul.

[TBW]
Members
6,398 posts
12,011 battles

The day the music died. I post this as a tribute, it's always hard to think about the the music that will now, not be created and of course the loss of better than average, people.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
5,040 posts
2,431 battles
20 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

15 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

Yes, so this clickbait title had my heart in my throat.  No offense meant to Mr. Downie, Lord rest his soul.

They are and they're great, but there simply never has been and never will be anyone like Gord and the Hip.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,236 posts
4,803 battles

Sorry to hear it and sorry I never heard of him. Frank Marino and Rush are my favorite Canadians. 

1,542 posts
26 battles

Sorry I am late to reply. Very sad news and my deepest condolences. Heartbreaking video of Trudeau too. Terrible loss and so young :(

Alpha Tester
5,040 posts
2,431 battles
On 11/5/2017 at 10:43 AM, WolfofWarship said:

Sorry I am late to reply. Very sad news and my deepest condolences. Heartbreaking video of Trudeau too. Terrible loss and so young :(

He was completely right as well. Canada is now less of a country without Gord and The Hip.