Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Skpstr

Just Curious, Not Complaining

13 comments in this topic

Members
18,219 posts
5,202 battles

Had a game last night, where a Myogi rammed my Orion in a stern chase.

Tapped my stern, (maybe 1-2 knots speed difference) and he lost all 468 HP. I lost about 2100, but I was at about 50% HP. Wasn't running any signals.

Shouldn't the Myogi have done more damage to me? Or is the whole "it doesn't matter how fast you're going" thing just an exaggeration?

[-K-]
Members
5,261 posts
9,099 battles

Speed is definitely not a factor.  I believe remaining health and ship mass are mostly what decides the outcome of a ram.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Speed is definitely a factor. Let me get a video where that is actually demonstrated...

Edit, here:

At 4:46.

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,981 posts
9,916 battles
6 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

It usually doesnt matter how fast you're going. Were you running the die hard flag?

Sorry my friend but I think it does as well as where and angle when you hit .

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/23571-Chien_Lu_Anderman-Northern-Lights

^^^^^ This is a replay of me in a DD bumping another DD that had more Max HP then mine and was at ~50% health . 

[AXANR]
Members
3,363 posts
16,648 battles
Just now, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

Sorry my friend but I think it does as well as where and angle when you hit .

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/23571-Chien_Lu_Anderman-Northern-Lights

^^^^^ This is a replay of me in a DD bumping another DD that had more Max HP then mine and was at ~50% health . 

Ah. I didn't think it did. Thanks. :)

[NDA]
Supertester
4,841 posts
13,799 battles
44 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Had a game last night, where a Myogi rammed my Orion in a stern chase.

jGxlinf.gif

Members
543 posts
6,806 battles

Ramming does full health damage to both ships.  So if your boat started with 10k that's how much damage you will do to ship the other ship plus the modifiers from flags.

[CAFE]
Members
1,396 posts
10,746 battles
40 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

It usually doesnt matter how fast you're going. Were you running the die hard flag?

Speed is a factor in ramming damage. It is why some equal ships can survive a ram while the other dies.

Edited by FratStar4Life

Members
543 posts
6,806 battles
2 minutes ago, FratStar4Life said:

Speed is a factor in ramming damage. It is why some equal ships can survive a ram while the other dies.

Speed is not a factor, neither is the ships current health, or where you hit the ship.  A ship with 10,000 hp will always do 10,000 worth of base damage + any modifier (the flag).  So if it hit a ship with 30,000hp at full health and neither were running the flag, it would receive 30k worth damage killing it and it would do 10k of damage to the other ship leaving it with 20k.

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,148 battles
1 minute ago, Captain_Chaos_NA said:

Speed is not a factor, neither is the ships current health, or where you hit the ship.  A ship with 10,000 hp will always do 10,000 worth of base damage + any modifier (the flag).  So if it hit a ship with 30,000hp at full health and neither were running the flag, it would receive 30k worth damage killing it and it would do 10k of damage to the other ship leaving it with 20k.

Speed infact IS a factor, it has been proven time and time again when it comes to near same speed and same direction impacts. it doesn't do the full damage instantly but rather rapidly in a series of ticks. Any other ram (tbone, head on) is standard. 

Members
543 posts
6,806 battles

Link a video of this proof, because I don't recall a change to the mechanic in any patches.   If you the damage tick away from the surviving ship it's because ramming causes flooding.

Edited by Captain_Chaos_NA

Members
18,219 posts
5,202 battles

I was going to say I'd be happy to throw up a replay, (if someone could guide me as to how) but patch today, different version.

Makes sense about the tick thing though. I only took ~2K damage because the Myogi only had 468 HP, and that first tick sunk him.

I did get a Die-Hard from that of course, but wasn't running the signal. The speed difference was extremely low, because the Myogi misjudged the ram, and swung in behind me, so he had only just started to accelerate past my speed, and it was a perfect bow to stern impact right on the points.

It was so gentle, that only the Die-Hard and the ramming damage shown in the summary told me he didn't burn to death instead.

Was a good match for me. 80+k damage, Die-Hard, High Caliber, Kraken, Confederate, and a Dev Strike. That Myogi won the match for his team though, as avoiding a full-on ram forced me out of the circle (Epicenter) and gave a KBerg the opportunity to pummel me unanswered while I went behind an island trying to get back in. 

Edited by Skpstr

Sign in to follow this