You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Royal_Seahawk

New Player Needs Advice

24 comments in this topic

[NGA-R]
Members
29 posts
238 battles

OK, So I started about 2 days ago and can say I've really been enjoying the game even though I've only just unlocked Tier 3 and haven't even gotten into too many battles if at all with them.  My question is this.  Should I stick with one line in a tech tree and just grind that our is it ok to work on multiple ones?  Right now I'm playing the U.S., UK, RU, and German lines.  Just basically rotating after each battle.  It can be a little overwhelming so I'm thinking of just staying with one line at a time and just grinding that way.  

I know it will take a while from what I have read because I will not pay for premium time (I deploy often so I don't see the benefit for me to pay for something I won't be able to use all of).  Anyway, your constructive advice is definitely welcomed!!

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

I liked working on multiple lines. The lines & nations differ in playstyle, so perhaps you get to know an even more fun line. It also gives you an understanding of the gimmicks & weak points of the other lines/nations :)

EDIT: I think having a good mix of several tier 5s is a good start. Though here is also the tipping point for some nations, eg: CL -> CA. :)

Edited by joris92

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,953 battles

It depends. If you're adept at games and can handle changing play styles constantly, this is the best way to

1. Understand what classes and nations have to offer, and how to interact with them whether you are playing them yourself, have allies on your team in them, or fighting them as enemies. Knowing what your opponent(s) advantages and disadvantages are, as well as what it's capable of in certain situations, will give you the knowledge of how to beat them and avoid being beaten.

2. Find out what you enjoy playing the most. It's important to recognize that the relative skill to play a class from easy to difficult is BB -> DD -> CL/CA -> CV. This is not true for every case, but more accurate than not.

3. Playing multiple ships at one time will help you utilize the daily bonus, and can counteract playing with a standard account somewhat.

Me personally, I played japans lines up to tier 7, at which point I started exploring other nations.

If you do not adapt well to changing play styles, unable to remember specific ship capabilities or both, it may be more effective for you if you play a certain nation/class up to a tier and then decide whether to continue or change.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Members
3,361 posts
12,156 battles

Sampling the lines and nations is a good way to get more familiar with the unique traits of each. I worked my way up to T5 in most lines at which point I considered my interest in DD and CL and focused on those ship types in each nation. To each their own. Good luck and always have fun with your choice.

[AXANR]
Members
3,363 posts
16,663 battles

I think it pays to get really good with one type if not one line, but you also learn a lot from playing other types. I'd say try every type, and be working on one line of each type as long as it's fun for you. You'll figure out which types are best for your playstyle and then you can narrow down which lines work best. Plus you'll learn how to fight different ships by playing as them. But as you gain more experience, grinding out a line does give you a solid go-to when you want to maximize your performance. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles

German, Japanese, and US ships tend to be more forgiving on new players more than the British and French Cruisers.

( British and French Cruisers pretty much all have lighter armored hulls requiring more experience to use properly)

German Battleships are probably the most forgiving to learn on thanks to the fact their armor is good and you can get close to enemies and let the secondary guns assist you in sinking ships. Just make sure you use AP shells for the main guns on these Battleships.

Japanese Cruisers become heavy Cruisers starting at tier 5 so it's a good line to practice with.

American Cruisers are also fun to learn with, but they get a little tricky for new players starting at tier 6

Japanese Battleships are more intermediate level and US Battleships are good once you have gotten experience in these other 2 Battleship lines.

[PVE]
Members
5,624 posts
18,228 battles

STOP STOP STOP!!! 

If you are just starting, get a referral code. You will get two free premium ship, lots of goodies, and best of all, 80,000 of free xp.. That is something you really want but may not know that yet. Anyways get a referral code before you play anymore!!!!! 

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
669 posts
12,364 battles

Pick one type of line to a bit understand whats going on. And have a fun.

My recomandation: 

Crusiers  go  japan

BB go any all is fun

DD go US or japan one is gunboat one is torp and stealth. 

Dont rush too much T6-T8 is for enjoy the game

T9  is usually better t8 and t10 once u there you will play it few times and you ll automaticaly grind anotehr line:D 

And yes as taylor mentioned if you are low yet use refferal code once u research  t5 ship you get some free ship. USS texas i think and some free exp etc. 

Here is my reff, but you can use any player give you really doesnt matter.  https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/J1ZL0z4

But you need be lvl 3 or less. If you are more its better start it again:D 

Reward list: https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/

Edited by Gandariel

[PROJX]
Members
972 posts
15,753 battles

Hey Royal! Welcome & here's wishing you many great games to come!

I started the game in May 2015, when there were 9 port slots & 8 gunship (i.e. non-CV) lines to go up - so I chose to go up all the lines simultaneously.  This strategy had good and bad points I'm going to list below, but my overall suggesion is to mix up at least some of the lines and ship types you play and don't be in too big a hurry to rush up the tech tree (but it's OK if you want to pick 1 or 2 lines to focus on to grind more quickly for your T10) for the following reasons:

Pros:

• Going up the tech tree simultaneously (instead of shooting up one line) allows you to develop your skills in a more leveled environment - you'll learn things like where to shoot ships w/ what, how to maneuver you ship better to preserve your help (using cover, masking/timing turns, kiting and flanking strategies) and overall game strategies (familiarize yourself w/ the different maps & how to play each ship's strengths and guard their weaknesses on every map).   If you push to T8 immediately and get into T10 matches, unless you're an exceptional Unicum, you'll not have an enjoyable time and you won't be doing your win-rate any favors if you want to get in a competitive Clan in the future.
  • Playing different ship types gives you a knowledge on tactics used by different ships - Understanding this is key to becoming a better player. 
    • If you play DDs - You'll do better in BBs as you try to defend against them or in CL/CAs as you understand what DDs do when hiding in smoke so you can hunt them better, even knowing how to charge DDs in smoke.  You learn stealth mechanics and torpedo strategies while playing DDs.
    • If you play CL/CAs - You learn how to maneuver & protect your health from deletion from BBs and also learn how to take down a BB by where to shoot if you get an AP shot or how to burn a BB down. You also learn tactics Radar equipped cruisers use to ambush DDs in cap and how to counter them or avoid them.  If you play IJN CAs, BB players can learn to identify the "rear torp firing maneuver" - when to recognize this & how to avoid torps from IJN cruisers (also true of DD torp firing maneuver).
    • If you play BBs - You'll learn the limitations of gun reload and turret traverse and their maneuvering capabilities.  This gives DDs an understanding of how to drop torpedoes to better take down BBs.  You'll also need to tank damage,  armor angle and know how to manage your consumables (you will be set on fire) - this also gives you a better idea when you play a CL on how to more effectively fire spam BBs.
  • Playing different National Lines & Ships gives you a way to develop your play styles and counters for each National line as many have unique characteristics.- a few examples are listed below:
    • UK BBs (T6 & Below) - Fire spamming bruisers
    • UK BBs (T7-10) - Maneuvering "cruisers" w/ very large guns & insane heal & excellent Fire starting percentage (T9-10 have good AA too)
    • UK Cruisers - (T5 & Above) - Very weak armored, but maneuverable AP only firing from smoke
    • US BBs (T7 & Below) - Tanky all-or nothing armored slow bruisers
    • US BBs (T8-10) - Maneuvering "Cruisers" w/ very large guns & excellent AA
    • US Cruisers - Good AA w/ Hard hitting guns but are somewhat so-so unless played well
    • IJN Cruisers - Torping, Fire Spamming CAs
    • IJN DDs - Stealth Torpers from good range, bad guns
    • Russian Cruisers - Flat arced Fire Spamming CLs, weak maneuverability, brittle when hit
    • Russian DDs - Great flat arc gunboats - most of line have very low range torpedoes
    • German DDs - Mainly Torp boat but with decent guns  w/ weak smoke, but fast torpedo reloads allowing constant harrassment of enemy
    • French Cruisers - High speed fire spammers
  • Having a mix of ships positions you to complete most Campaigns/Missions more easily since the tasks either require or are optimized for certain ship types or countries.  Thus, having a mix of DDs, CL/CAs, & BBs in your port as well as a mix of national lines, will allow you to participate in more in-game Missions & Rewards.

Cons:

• Progress may seem slow as you grind your way up the tree across multiple lines simultaneously
  • Certain Campaigns and Missions are targeted at certain tiers. For example, the 2 out of 3 of the permanent Campaigns are for Tier 8 ships and above.  Most in-game misisons require at least a T4 ship.  Ranked Battles require a T5-T8 ship depending on the season.  Operations require a T6 ship.  If you do go up the tree, it may take you a while to get to T8 which would exclude you from certain in-game reward vehicles until you do so
  • WG has a anniversary rewards program, part of which targets how many Tier 10 ships you have - On WGs 1st anniversary, I had no T10 ships so I had to wait until the 2nd Anniversary before I got rewards for all my T10s.
  • When you start moving to upper tiers, particularly, when you reach T8-10 - ships start getting pretty expensive. If you go up the line simultaneously, you'll be unlocking all your T8s (or 9s or 10s) within a few month window and it will become tough to pay for the ships all at once even if you have them unlocked (I'm just finishing my T10 grinds for the last ship - #15, but still have 2 T10s unlocked, but not yet purchased because each cost about 27M silver to purchased & provide all the upgrade modules for).

I've posted a number of forum articles located here: WOWS Enjoyment - List of Forum Articles & Guides - many of which covers the above questions & what you can do to more efficiently gain in-game rewards and Tactical (shooting, maneuvering, brawling) and Strategic (Cap strategies & lemming trains, Lanchester's Law) which can help prepare you to accelerate your progress thru the game.

Hope this helps & Good Luck!

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 3

[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,114 battles

For myself, I find that grinding only two lines at a time allows me to find linearity within that line, as well as make the most of out the limited play time that I have.

Right now, I'm working on French cruisers and British battleships.  I get my daily wins in those, and just play premiums if I have any extra time to spare.

[O_O]
Members
4,420 posts
9,575 battles
1 hour ago, Royal_Seahawk said:

I know it will take a while from what I have read because I will not pay for premium time (I deploy often so I don't see the benefit for me to pay for something I won't be able to use all of).

I also don't like the idea of paying for huge blocks of premium time when I know I will be away from the game for days at a time.  However, on Black Friday (or maybe around Christmas) WG will usually sell a year of premium time for 1/2 price.  That may not be too bad.

Or, you could buy a batch of doubloons.  If you have a lot of time one day to play, you could buy one day of premium time in-game for 250 doubloons.

Premium time really increases your XP and silver earnings.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,803 posts
15,265 battles
1 hour ago, Royal_Seahawk said:

My question is this.  Should I stick with one line in a tech tree and just grind that our is it ok to work on multiple ones? 

You should play whatever ship gives you the most enjoyment, and worry about nothing else.

A couple of suggestions which might come in handy:

A number of posters have suggested working up to and keeping some tier 5 ships around; this is good advice as higher tier ships are more difficult to play financially; they sometimes cost you credits to play, especially if you have a really bad game. Playing your tier 5's will allow you to farm credits and make up for the high tier games you will lose money playing.

Once you've gotten all the lines you are interested in playing up to tier 4/5/6, and you want to either grind a line to conclusion or get a specific ship, only have one or two goals at a time. This will help you to focus on your chosen goal, to the exclusion of all the "shiny things" you'll see along the way, will allow you to see significant progress whenever you work on your goal ship, and still give you time to play some lower tier ships (4/5/6) so you can keep yourself in credits.

Whatever ships and lines you choose, I hope you have a great time and if you see me in a match, I'm sorry!

[NGA-R]
Members
29 posts
238 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

STOP STOP STOP!!! 

If you are just starting, get a referral code. You will get two free premium ship, lots of goodies, and best of all, 80,000 of free xp.. That is something you really want but may not know that yet. Anyways get a referral code before you play anymore!!!!! 

Already there, my sister sent me the invite so I already have the Diana and I guess when I hit Tier 6 I'll get the Texas.

• Cool 2

[NGA-R]
Members
29 posts
238 battles

I want to thank you all for the great suggestions.  I'm looking forward to getting into it when I get off work later tonight or early morning ( my time).  IN any case, I hope to see some of you in game, if you see me feel free to shoot me a message, just don't feel free to shoot me a round if you're on the other team lol.

[DMOD]
Members
43 posts
4,762 battles

My suggestion: grind everything up to about tier 5. That will give you a feel for how the lines generally act. The gunboaty-ness of American DDs versus the stealth-torping of the IJN DDs, etc.

Then:

Pick one cruiser, destroyer, and battleship line to focus on. That way you'll have an answer for when the events require Tier 6 CAs, or Tier 7 BBs, etc. 

Carriers are so different, I'd just not do them at all until you get at least tier 7 or 8 in the main three classes. 

[TDD]
Members
905 posts
7,942 battles

Time management... If you only have time for a couple of games here and there I would suggest grinding only one line.

that being said I do feel that now that there are so many lines it is a good idea to get a feel for what you will like so I do echo the suggestion of playing several of the lines at least to T3 to find what you will like the most

YMMV

[ADR]
Members
818 posts
5,578 battles

First welcome to the forum and the game.

I recommend at the very least playing all the lines up to and including tier 5. I say this because even if a line doesn't fit your playing style you can learn that that line is good at and bad at, so if you have to fight them you better know how to do it. Me i am playing all the lines up to tier 8 and then going up past that in lines I want to get to tier 10 at. Like I personally can't stand the British cruisers, not saying they are bad ships, I just hate the play style of smoke hoping. But I still playing them up to tier 8, working on the tier 8 now, should be done with it this weekend then will sell it and stop going up the line.

As I mentioned the reason i personally recommend it and do it, is even though I don't like the British cruisers having playing them that far I know very well what they do well and what they do badly. So i can fight them well when I play other ships.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask and I or many others will be happy to answer them or point you in the the direction of where you can get the info.

[NSEW]
[NSEW]
Members
422 posts
8,207 battles
On 18/10/2017 at 2:44 PM, Taylor3006 said:

STOP STOP STOP!!! 

I wish I knew this years ago...

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,624 posts
18,228 battles
2 hours ago, LowSpeed_US said:

I wish I knew this years ago...

I am with you on this LowSpeed. Big regret was starting without a code, missed out on lots of free stuff. Is why I always toss it out there when someone says they are new. 

[NSEW]
[NSEW]
Members
422 posts
8,207 battles
13 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I am with you on this LowSpeed. Big regret was starting without a code, missed out on lots of free stuff. Is why I always toss it out there when someone says they are new. 

Good for you, truly. I wish I read this forum prior to making an account or some such. 

[NSC]
[NSC]
Members
202 posts
3,998 battles

I'd also suggest that you spend a bit of time searching for The Mighty Jingles on youtube or possible vid.me and watch a few of his videos on the game and lines. The wiki will also give you an idea of the mechanics of the different ships and commander skills.

Welcome to the game.

[NSEW]
[NSEW]
Members
422 posts
8,207 battles

Great points by the posters above! I wished I had the foresight to post here when I started like you have. 

Also, a great way to train your captain skills or to get better credits. Try to get few premium ships. Whether by completing a campaign for free, or by other means. It will allow you to freely move that Captain between the premium ship and the non-premiums. No retraining required when moving a Captain onto a premium ship.  I've heard the SIMS, give great returns per game in regards to credits. 

The method I've tried. Or rather a non-method, in reality. Is that I tried various ship types. I started with Battleships (BB), I was left wanting for a more nimble and faster ship type. So I switched to Destroyers (DD). Realising that DD's lacked the gun power. I tried the Cruiser lines (CL). Which was for me at the time the go between the two, but not literal sense. Right now, cruisers are at a slight disadvantage. 

When you like the particular ship type/nation tree. Try to work out the intricacies of each ship. Maximise its strong points at all times.

i.e. Japanese DDs, being stealthy, and long range torpedoes.

But don't forget the fundamentals too. Vary your movements, even when you are aiming at a target. Specially crucial with battleships. 

Be aware of your fellow ships around you, or ones coming towards you. Or you driving towards them. It may seem trivial, but a small paint scratching may not hurt it seems. But there will be situations where, it will be the difference between life and death of the match.

Always give way to slower ships. By that I mean the ships that are not as nimble as you. Chances are, that ship can't maneuver away from you as effectively. Be aware of your position on the map

Look for the smoke  on top of the ships. It's a built in game feature. To assist in your aiming. If it's dark and trailing behind the ship almost horizontally. That ship is on full speed. 

Communicate, Communicate, Communicate. You may be discouraged by the lack of it sometimes in games to follow. Or get demoralised due to some trolling players (on your side). But keep doing it. I always encourage it, and really appreciate it.

Since this is a battle genre game. Anyone who's held a rifle for a living knows that communication, is between life and death.

Use the F commands, but effectively. Ping a grid on map, followed by a succinct text. i.e. you ping a grid (E5), type in text chat "DD here". 

If I encounter a player that spams F keys, I notice their 'need' but my brain shuts it out. The old cry wolf tale.

Learn not to get tunnel vision. Zoom out of the reticule mode repeatedly to absorb the information around you.

If you see me online, feel free to ask away. Good luck and have fun!

• Cool 1

Members
14 posts
910 battles
On 10/18/2017 at 10:59 AM, hangglide42 said:

Hey Royal! Welcome & here's wishing you many great games to come!

I started the game in May 2015, when there were 9 port slots & 8 gunship (i.e. non-CV) lines to go up - so I chose to go up all the lines simultaneously.  This strategy had good and bad points I'm going to list below, but my overall suggesion is to mix up at least some of the lines and ship types you play and don't be in too big a hurry to rush up the tech tree (but it's OK if you want to pick 1 or 2 lines to focus on to grind more quickly for your T10) for the following reasons:

Pros:

• Going up the tech tree simultaneously (instead of shooting up one line) allows you to develop your skills in a more leveled environment - you'll learn things like where to shoot ships w/ what, how to maneuver you ship better to preserve your help (using cover, masking/timing turns, kiting and flanking strategies) and overall game strategies (familiarize yourself w/ the different maps & how to play each ship's strengths and guard their weaknesses on every map).   If you push to T8 immediately and get into T10 matches, unless you're an exceptional Unicum, you'll not have an enjoyable time and you won't be doing your win-rate any favors if you want to get in a competitive Clan in the future.
  • Playing different ship types gives you a knowledge on tactics used by different ships - Understanding this is key to becoming a better player. 
    • If you play DDs - You'll do better in BBs as you try to defend against them or in CL/CAs as you understand what DDs do when hiding in smoke so you can hunt them better, even knowing how to charge DDs in smoke.  You learn stealth mechanics and torpedo strategies while playing DDs.
    • If you play CL/CAs - You learn how to maneuver & protect your health from deletion from BBs and also learn how to take down a BB by where to shoot if you get an AP shot or how to burn a BB down. You also learn tactics Radar equipped cruisers use to ambush DDs in cap and how to counter them or avoid them.  If you play IJN CAs, BB players can learn to identify the "rear torp firing maneuver" - when to recognize this & how to avoid torps from IJN cruisers (also true of DD torp firing maneuver).
    • If you play BBs - You'll learn the limitations of gun reload and turret traverse and their maneuvering capabilities.  This gives DDs an understanding of how to drop torpedoes to better take down BBs.  You'll also need to tank damage,  armor angle and know how to manage your consumables (you will be set on fire) - this also gives you a better idea when you play a CL on how to more effectively fire spam BBs.
  • Playing different National Lines & Ships gives you a way to develop your play styles and counters for each National line as many have unique characteristics.- a few examples are listed below:
    • UK BBs (T6 & Below) - Fire spamming bruisers
    • UK BBs (T7-10) - Maneuvering "cruisers" w/ very large guns & insane heal & excellent Fire starting percentage (T9-10 have good AA too)
    • UK Cruisers - (T5 & Above) - Very weak armored, but maneuverable AP only firing from smoke
    • US BBs (T7 & Below) - Tanky all-or nothing armored slow bruisers
    • US BBs (T8-10) - Maneuvering "Cruisers" w/ very large guns & excellent AA
    • US Cruisers - Good AA w/ Hard hitting guns but are somewhat so-so unless played well
    • IJN Cruisers - Torping, Fire Spamming CAs
    • IJN DDs - Stealth Torpers from good range, bad guns
    • Russian Cruisers - Flat arced Fire Spamming CLs, weak maneuverability, brittle when hit
    • Russian DDs - Great flat arc gunboats - most of line have very low range torpedoes
    • German DDs - Mainly Torp boat but with decent guns  w/ weak smoke, but fast torpedo reloads allowing constant harrassment of enemy
    • French Cruisers - High speed fire spammers
  • Having a mix of ships positions you to complete most Campaigns/Missions more easily since the tasks either require or are optimized for certain ship types or countries.  Thus, having a mix of DDs, CL/CAs, & BBs in your port as well as a mix of national lines, will allow you to participate in more in-game Missions & Rewards.

Cons:

• Progress may seem slow as you grind your way up the tree across multiple lines simultaneously
  • Certain Campaigns and Missions are targeted at certain tiers. For example, the 2 out of 3 of the permanent Campaigns are for Tier 8 ships and above.  Most in-game misisons require at least a T4 ship.  Ranked Battles require a T5-T8 ship depending on the season.  Operations require a T6 ship.  If you do go up the tree, it may take you a while to get to T8 which would exclude you from certain in-game reward vehicles until you do so
  • WG has a anniversary rewards program, part of which targets how many Tier 10 ships you have - On WGs 1st anniversary, I had no T10 ships so I had to wait until the 2nd Anniversary before I got rewards for all my T10s.
  • When you start moving to upper tiers, particularly, when you reach T8-10 - ships start getting pretty expensive. If you go up the line simultaneously, you'll be unlocking all your T8s (or 9s or 10s) within a few month window and it will become tough to pay for the ships all at once even if you have them unlocked (I'm just finishing my T10 grinds for the last ship - #15, but still have 2 T10s unlocked, but not yet purchased because each cost about 27M silver to purchased & provide all the upgrade modules for).

I've posted a number of forum articles located here: WOWS Enjoyment - List of Forum Articles & Guides - many of which covers the above questions & what you can do to more efficiently gain in-game rewards and Tactical (shooting, maneuvering, brawling) and Strategic (Cap strategies & lemming trains, Lanchester's Law) which can help prepare you to accelerate your progress thru the game.

Hope this helps & Good Luck!

from what i remember of world of tanks, the best tiers are roughly 5-7 for most things,
-most tanks generally balance each other out,
-you're a high enough level that your tank light is starting to fit into it's roee v.s. lower tiers where you're all just really squishy with minor differences or higher tier where you're tank is fully commited to what it does and isn't ment for doing anything else,

-it's a good balance between reward and deductions: i.e. you make decent money and it doesn't set you back more then 1-2 games if you have an epic fail...unlike lower tiers where the rewards are minimal and the higher tiers where 1 bad game sets you back for the rest of the day if not the week.

-most of the player base seems to play around these tiers so really low wait times.

and a few other reasons...

with this being said does WOWS have a similiar ideal tier range, and if so what range is it? and would it be better to try and get 1 ship to tier 10 first or get all ships to say...tier 6?

• Cool 1

[PROJX]
Members
972 posts
15,753 battles
8 hours ago, homsikpanda said:

from what i remember of world of tanks, the best tiers are roughly 5-7 for most things,
-most tanks generally balance each other out,
-you're a high enough level that your tank light is starting to fit into it's roee v.s. lower tiers where you're all just really squishy with minor differences or higher tier where you're tank is fully commited to what it does and isn't ment for doing anything else,

-it's a good balance between reward and deductions: i.e. you make decent money and it doesn't set you back more then 1-2 games if you have an epic fail...unlike lower tiers where the rewards are minimal and the higher tiers where 1 bad game sets you back for the rest of the day if not the week.

-most of the player base seems to play around these tiers so really low wait times.

and a few other reasons...

with this being said does WOWS have a similiar ideal tier range, and if so what range is it? and would it be better to try and get 1 ship to tier 10 first or get all ships to say...tier 6?

Hey homsikpanda! - the "best tier" is subjective, but this is what I found IMHO based on your criteria -

From your parameters, I would suggest T7 for the following reasons:

• As you relate from WOT - WOWS seems to have a play meta between T5-T7 that many enjoy.  When you get to the T9/T10 playstyle, many players find it too static & technical (i.e. boring) and unforgiving in some cases for mistakes.   The T5-T7 play is at a level where players have gained a fair bit of experience w/ the game, but is more movement oriented and dynamic than the higher tiers.
  • Over the years, a number of YouTubers have posted the "optimal silver earning range" in terms of Tiers for making silver, especially if you're not running a Premium Account.   The factors are silver earning (vs. loss potential) and games playable (due to typical game length) - i.e. more games per hour.   The conclusion is usually between T5-7 - During my 1st 19 months of playing this game (since Open Beta), I ran a Standard account and found T7 a good place to earn silver (i.e. highest tier in this range to maximize earnings and very earnings positive at this tier).
  • Currently, T7 gets pretty good matchmaking.   T6s & T8s get uptiered a fair bit due to the MM math & player base characteristics; T9/T10s have the different gameplay meta.  With T7s, you'll find a nice mix of high-mid-low tier MM.
  • You'll find quick wait times and good ship mixes at T7.  Tho you will get T9 games, CVs become rarer at higher tiers and many seem to hang out around the T5-T7 range so all ship types are usually in play.
  • I found that while it's nice to have the T10s, I enjoy playing the T9s/8s just as much so other than the following 2 factors, there is no great rush to T10 - enjoy the ships/tier at which you like the gameplay meta:
    • During their anniverasary for the past 2 years, WG has rewarded Super Containers and special signals (e.g. dragon flags) for every T10 you had in your port.
    • If you participate in Clan Battles, it's more useful to have a favorite T10 in terms of configuring her and team practice - rather than relying on the fixed rental period T10s.
  • I've found the non-T10 ships more enjoyable in a number of cases so I don't have my 19 point commanders in many T10s.  In many cases they're in T8s since they're more useful there for Ranked battles.   At T8 or T9, you'll see T10 matches often enough and it's actually a fun challenge to be a lower tier in battle. 
  • I found the T7 ships a really strong mix of really fun ships - and WG does a good job of releasing "Earnable Premiums" at this tier:
    • Akatsuki - one of my favorite DDs - plays like the old T8 Fubuki w/ 3x3 Torp launchers
    • Nagato
    • Scharnhorst/Gneisnau - Fun & brawly - 2 gun modes - Gneis & her AA are a nice alternative, if you don't have funds for the Scharn.
    • Fiji - Very good CL exemplary of the UK Cruiser line
    • Leningrad - Fast gunboat type DD, but w/ decent torps for the tier.
    • Earnable premiums - Nelson, Duke of York (despite some who were disappointed w/ this ship - it's actually a nice variant of the KGV if you use your hydro and AA properly)
    • Lyon - many feel this and Alsace are the best of the new French BB line
    • Gadjah Mada - One of the best of the Pan-Asian DD line w/ insane forward gun arcs
    • Blyskawica - Once one of the more powerful of the DDs - still fun even after the stealth nerf
    • Hiryu/Saipan/Kaga - if you're a CV player
    • I have a soft spot for the Myoko (ARP version included) since I earned a lot of silver with her before getting a Premium account.

Hope this helps & maybe I'll see you out there!  o7

Edited by hangglide42