You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Game Mechanics Question

5 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles

I know a Spotter plane increases your gun range and allows you to shoot over hills and mountains to hit a target, but is it possible to simple elevate your guns and get long range plunging fire by aiming at the sky or does game mechanics prevent this?

Granted to hit much of anything you would likely need a 3 ship division sailing in formation, but might be intriguing idea? Because if there is no game mechanics preventing a shell from achieving high altitude there might be the mechanics to make its velocity force it arc downward?

Saw a thread on long range plunging fire recently on here, but still left some questions unanswered.

Beta Testers
45 posts
7,288 battles

You can't elevate the guns past your max range. When you use spotter your new max range shell arc is augmented automatically by the game. This leads to more plunging fire as it trys to get the shell out further.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,572 battles

Spotter plane just gives you the view to see over Islands although it does give you 20% more range it does not increase the gun elevation that part stays the same

my take on it

[PROJX]
Members
969 posts
15,721 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I know a Spotter plane increases your gun range and allows you to shoot over hills and mountains to hit a target, but is it possible to simple elevate your guns and get long range plunging fire by aiming at the sky or does game mechanics prevent this?

Granted to hit much of anything you would likely need a 3 ship division sailing in formation, but might be intriguing idea? Because if there is no game mechanics preventing a shell from achieving high altitude there might be the mechanics to make its velocity force it arc downward?

Saw a thread on long range plunging fire recently on here, but still left some questions unanswered.

There was an unusual post in the forum or a YouTube video (I can’t remember which) a while back that involved an allowed gun elevation that would let you shoot yourself with plunging fire (your own ship would be fast enough to get hit by the shell as it came down).

I don’t know if you could only do this with some type of DD or possibly a CL that was designed to support AA with it’s main batteries (I.e. the only ships that support high gun elevations).  This seems to indicate it might be possible, but I can’t see how you would aim the shot since the game’s concept of plunging fire is coupled to an aiming mechanism that uses the flattest shell arc possible to hit a target at a given range (I.e. plunging fire happens only if you aim at a target that is far enough according to the gun ballistics).