You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Exciton8964

How about cap BB/DD number per team to 4

16 comments in this topic

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,609 battles

Currently it seems very common to have 5 BBs or DDs per team. However, I don't enjoy such games. 

Too many DDs mean the game outcome will be heavily determined by DD player quality and it is very common to have lopsided result from DD fights within the first 3-5min of the game. Other ships can support DD fights but the result is still mostly determined by DD players' ability to survive. After that, the game just becomes snowball. It is very hard to turn around with multiple DDs smoke and torp in your face.

Too many BBs simply makes game stale. It is extremely hard to find space to move as a cruiser as you can easily move to cross fire position from those BBs. So it is better to just sit back and shoot until someone overextends and makes mistake.

I think it is worth trying to limit the number of BBs/DDs to 4 per side for majority of games(at least during prime time). 4 is one third of the total number of ships. I think it is fair to set the limit there.

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

Balanced teams would be ideal but sometimes MM is reliant on what ships people are in queue with.

I think uneven numbers on each team is a bigger problem, i.e. if one team has 2 DDs and the other has just one in domination mode...the team with the extra DD is likely to enjoy a capping (and spotting) advantage that can easily snowball into a rout.

• Cool 2

[USCC2]
Members
3,576 posts

I don't mind the different numbers - can be another challenge like being uptiered; it's all good and adds to the variety for me.

If we were going to go for capping ship numbers, then for me it has to be all ships (you seem to have missed out CAs).

[AXANR]
Members
3,363 posts
16,663 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

I think uneven numbers on each team is a bigger problem, i.e. if one team has 2 DDs and the other has just one in domination mode...the team with the extra DD is likely to enjoy a capping (and spotting) advantage that can easily snowball into a rout.

This. 

Or even this: If there is an uneven number of DDs, the game automatically selects 'standard battle.' Domination mode only happens with equal numbers of DDs. 

As it is, the team with the DD advantage seems to win an inordinate amount of domination mode matches. There's nothing you can do to stop having a potato div of DDs die badly or derp off, but at least starting off with an equal number of DDs would help. And DDs are still very important in standard battle, but it's not the handicap it is in domination mode. 

[TMS]
Members
1,741 posts
22,088 battles

World of radar, 6 on our side and when the cyclone hit it was game over for the other team.

worldofradar.png

Edited by Final8ty
  • Cool 1

Members
3,470 posts
6,173 battles

MM  can only deal with what people are playing at the time, are you suggesting the game changes what ship a person is in to get your magic mix?  Some cruisers need to stay behind as they are way to squishy to be up front, especially at the beginning.  However - they can still do quite good damage and help the team.  I have been grinding the French line and have been able to maneuver around the BBs without too much issue.

Edited by CylonRed

[TMS]
Members
1,741 posts
22,088 battles

World of torps, 7 a side my fav :)worldoftorps.thumb.png.5459cf5754493a226ff71f834ab59a05.png

Edited by Final8ty

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,179 posts
11,693 battles
2 hours ago, Exciton8964 said:

Currently it seems very common to have 5 BBs or DDs per team. However, I don't enjoy such games. 

Too many DDs mean the game outcome will be heavily determined by DD player quality and it is very common to have lopsided result from DD fights within the first 3-5min of the game. Other ships can support DD fights but the result is still mostly determined by DD players' ability to survive. After that, the game just becomes snowball. It is very hard to turn around with multiple DDs smoke and torp in your face.

Too many BBs simply makes game stale. It is extremely hard to find space to move as a cruiser as you can easily move to cross fire position from those BBs. So it is better to just sit back and shoot until someone overextends and makes mistake.

I think it is worth trying to limit the number of BBs/DDs to 4 per side for majority of games(at least during prime time). 4 is one third of the total number of ships. I think it is fair to set the limit there.

I dislike capping BBs as a solution to the BB overpopulation problem.  I prefer something more elegant, like making other ship types better so people want to play them.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles
28 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I dislike capping BBs as a solution to the BB overpopulation problem.  I prefer something more elegant, like making other ship types better so people want to play them.

Elegant? This is WG we are talking about here.

[PNP]
Members
131 posts
9,571 battles

The problem is that people are not playing cruisers, and I think WG should address the problem, not the symptom. I do not blame people for not playing cruisers, I don't play them either. If the playerbase played all of the classes equally, the matchmaking would be equally distributed, but it isn't. Cruisers need to be addressed, but not with a hammer. They need tweaking. I think they should start with the US line.

[SPF]
[SPF]
Members
145 posts
11,888 battles

IF you look at the DD play in 4-8 min blowouts, It really is the DD play difference and even more so when you have 4-6 dd per side. So I agree that I also would like to see a 3 or 4 DD per side restriction.  Also the higher you play in Tiers the problem gets worse not better.  Tired of sitting with full health at the 8 min mark with 4-5 dead dd's and its already game over. 

I agree with CrzyHawk,  too many DDs mean the game outcome will be heavily determined by DD player quality and it is very common to have lopsided result from DD  fights within the first 3-5min of the game. Other ships can support DD fights but the result is still mostly determined by DD players' ability to survive. After that, the game just becomes snowball. It is very hard to turn around with multiple DDs smoke and torp in your face.

[SIM]
Members
2,538 posts
4,182 battles

No thanks. Limiting BBs and DDs would just make the game more repetitive, as every match would be more of the same. I would suggest that you instead learn to fight the battle that you have, not the battle that you want. 

[VVV]
Members
2,422 posts

More important is that the teams need to actually be balanced. There is nothing more cancerous than going into a game where one team has not only more DDs but also higher-tier ones. Yet that happens all the time. CVs shouldn't be the only class that are mirrored.

[PS1HQ]
Members
621 posts

no.  people play this game for battleships.  nobody comes here for lesser boats.  if anything it should be limited to 1 cruiser and 1 destroyer per team.  the rest mighty battleships.