Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptGodzillaPig

It's my Frday and I have 4 days off.. Beer and Battlehips. Let the fun begin

25 comments in this topic

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

I will start with, Beer and Battleships is a dangerous thing.   If I see you in game, I could be your best team mate, or the biggest 'tater.  Hopefully the former, though usually when I see forumites it is the latter.  lol.  One thing I know is there isn't a lot of middle ground.     GL all and good shooting.  May the RNG be on your side..  (unless you are shooting at me).   Annnnd..  let the fun begin.

Edit..  I am not playing for 4 days straight.  I have to do a bit of deer hunting and I may be a little busy with "other things" Thursday night...  ;0

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

[PSP]
Members
6,225 posts
8,853 battles
25 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

not playing for 4 days straight.  I have to do a bit of deer hunting

I used to do a lot of bowhunting. Then I got to the point where when I had a deer down I realized that I still had to skin it, quarter it, hike it out of the woods, butcher it, process and pack it (deerburgers, FTW) and then cook it before I got anything to eat it. I now just go deer-looking and pack a couple of hamburgers for lunch.

Speaking of deer, it's amazing how close the muleys come to town at night, even though you never see them. I've found deer tracks in the my lot right next to the house. They bed down in the daytime and you never notice them unless you walk right up on one. The whitetails stay up on the river but you can see a herd of them pretty much all the time if you go looking. 

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I used to do a lot of bowhunting. Then I got to the point where when I had a deer down I realized that I still had to skin it, quarter it, hike it out of the woods, butcher it, process and pack it (deerburgers, FTW) and then cook it before I got anything to eat it. I now just go deer-looking and pack a couple of hamburgers for lunch.

Speaking of deer, it's amazing how close the muleys come to town at night, even though you never see them. I've found deer tracks in the my lot right next to the house. They bed down in the daytime and you never notice them unless you walk right up on one. The whitetails stay up on the river but you can see a herd of them pretty much all the time if you go looking. 

When I lived in Maryland you could shoot 20 whitetails a year..  They were just everywhere.  I hunted Muley in AZ (my home state) and I really liked that.  I live in Oregon now and I am stuck mainly hunting these western coast range blacktails that live in the deepest darkest holes on the face of the planet.  Choked in Fir trees and ferns you can't even try to walk through.    We have a lot of Muleys in eastern Oregon, but it takes like forever years to get a tag to go hunt out there.    I hear you though..  If you get one down it is a lot of work, but I mainly do it just because I like being in the woods.  Not too far from what you are talking about.  Salmon fishing though..  Game on.  I live a mile from the river and it is go time spring and fall.  Love me some smoked salmon.

[PSP]
Members
6,225 posts
8,853 battles
6 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

I live in Oregon now and I am stuck mainly hunting these western coast range blacktails that live in the deepest darkest holes on the face of the planet.  

I used to work at a fish hatchery out in Oregon before I started teaching there. We had a herd of about 50 elk that would come through the hatchery every day. The hatchery foreman had gone rifle hunting in the cascades but didn't ever get close enough to get a shot. He then picked up an archery permit and shot an elk from his back porch. I lived in the Portland Metro area. We had deer come into the parking lot of the apartments about once a month and you could always see them in the park.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

I used to work at a fish hatchery out in Oregon before I started teaching there. We had a herd of about 50 elk that would come through the hatchery every day. The hatchery foreman had gone rifle hunting in the cascades but didn't ever get close enough to get a shot. He then picked up an archery permit and shot an elk from his back porch.

Which hatchery?

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Sandy, we raised Coho.

Sandy river just outside of Portland?  Elk frustrate me.  I can track down the biggest dankest bulls you have ever seen right before the season opens, then *poof*...like they never existed.  I tracked a herd for 3 hours in the fog one day, bugling right in my ear for most of it....never spotted them and got back to my truck to find a big pile of steaming elk poop about 20 steps from my driver door.  I live out near the Gnat Creek hatchery.  I hunt up that way quite a bit.  Duck hunt on the lower river around Astoria. 

[PSP]
Members
6,225 posts
8,853 battles

Sandy fish hatchery is only a couple of miles from Sandy but it's on the other side of the river. It's one of the prettiest little hatcheries I've ever seen. I commuted while I was working there but the techs that lived there had some really nice houses in a really nice area.

00003479370526.jpg 

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Oh yeah..  Sandy is an awesome little town.  When I think of the Sandy river I always think of the lower end around I84.  Yeah that area heading out towards Mt Hood is gorgeous.   I love Calamity Janes restaurant.  Not too far outside of Sandy heading towards Hood.  Great burgers.

[PSP]
Members
6,225 posts
8,853 battles

I don't think I ever visited the Gnat Creek hatchery but I know that some of my students worked there. I taught fisheries and natural resources technology at Mt Hood. I used to spend every Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoon up on the mountain teaching stream survey and my weekends diving in Hood Canal. I had reasons why I had to move back to the midwest but I sure do miss the PNW.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

I don't think I ever visited the Gnat Creek hatchery but I know that some of my students worked there. I taught fisheries and natural resources technology at Mt Hood.

That is cool.   I wish someone would come teach someone something now.  They are killing our fishery out here.  Netters are raping the rivers and with the poor ocean conditions we have been having the stocks are crashing.  I would be all for a 3-5 year moratorium on salmon fishing just to get it back.  The fall fishery isn't bad, but the spring runs suck.  Coho are really hurting.  They keep clamping down on the sport fishery to "save the fish", but then let the gill netters in to just rip the main stem Columbia up.  It makes no sense. 

[PSP]
Members
6,225 posts
8,853 battles
1 minute ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

They keep clamping down on the sport fishery to "save the fish", but then let the gill netters in to just rip the main stem Columbia up.  It makes no sense. 

LOL, don't get me started on the treaty fisheries.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,264 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Sounds like the same thing that happens in Wisconsin with Walleye...truly sad that treaties like that exist.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Lol..  Yeah I bet we could go 'round on that for awhile.  Not just the treaty fisheries though.  Zone 3 and below..So from Sauvie Island to the mouth of the C they are mopping it up.  The fall season was late coming up this year, and normally we have closures at the end of September to protect the lower tributary fish.  After Oct 1 was always the net "mop up" season.  Last year and this year the main part of the run is kicking past my front door..and guess who is there to meet them?  Not saying the sport guys aren't getting theirs.  They are.  But the nets are killing it and no quota.  And this late they are taking out the winter steelhead run with it. 

[PSP]
Members
6,225 posts
8,853 battles
Just now, toosonmike said:

Sounds like the same thing that happens in Wisconsin with Walleye...truly sad that treaties like that exist.

I can see why they originally made them but now some of them make no sense when the government spends millions of dollars of everyone's tax money just to provide a benefit for a handful of people. One thing I'll say about the Indian hatcheries though, with all of that money they are state of the art. I was quite impressed by the ones I visited. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, toosonmike said:

We knock the heck out of Walleye up here.  Big ones.  No limit..catch em all day long.  They are considered "invasive" and they lifted all restrictions on them a few years ago.  I loved it.  Walleye is a good fish.  Most out here think they are trash.  lol 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

I can see why they originally made them but now some of them make no sense when the government spends millions of dollars of everyone's tax money just to provide a benefit for a handful of people. One thing I'll say about the Indian hatcheries though, with all of that money they are state of the art. I was quite impressed by the ones I visited. 

Honestly the Indian hatcheries are what is keeping this going.  OR and WA couldn't find their [edited]with both hands for the most part.  I have a hard time faulting the tribes upriver for taking what they are putting in.  I don't agree with the things that happen.. You know what I mean, but really they do a lot. 

[PSP]
Members
6,225 posts
8,853 battles

I talked to an old man once while walking along the Springwater trail. He said that when he was a kid they would spear salmon with pitchforks below the railroad trestle at Gresham. I did a year-long environmental survey of Johnson Creek and didn't find a single salmonid anywhere but at the mouth. The conditions just aren't suitable for them to spawn in it anymore.   

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Great conversation Snarf..  And I could do this all night long, but I argue this on barstools most days, on about 5 different other outdoor related forums, and 20 facebook pages.   I am here to shoot stuff....and it is time I got to it.  GL man.  Nice to meet you and really cool about the local hatchery stuff.  Nice to see someone that is from the area. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

I talked to an old man once while walking along the Springwater trail. He said that when he was a kid they would spear salmon with pitchforks below the railroad trestle at Gresham. I did a year-long environmental survey of Johnson Creek and didn't find a single salmonid anywhere but at the mouth. The conditions just aren't suitable for them to spawn in it anymore.   

Do you still live out this way?  If so shoot me a PM.  We should get together and chat for real.  Sounds like a good time to me. 

[PSP]
Members
6,225 posts
8,853 battles
6 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Do you still live out this way? 

Nah, had to move back to the Midwest to take care of the folks. I'm sort-of "retired" from teaching but still find myself working full time taking care of them and their property. It's different than what I did in Oregon but I'm used to it because I farmed for several years while I was in high school and college and have spent more time than that doing maintenance and construction while also working part-time as a paramedic to pay for college. Not much in the way of fishing around here but I've got plenty of time to game though and go pheasant hunting.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
35 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Nah, had to move back to the Midwest to take care of the folks. I'm sort-of "retired" from teaching but still find myself working full time taking care of them and their property. It's different than what I did in Oregon but I'm used to it because I farmed for several years while I was in high school and college and have spent more time than that doing maintenance and construction while also working part-time as a paramedic to pay for college. Not much in the way of fishing around here but I've got plenty of time to game though and go pheasant hunting.

I get out to eastern OR to shoot a few ring necks every few years or so..  Not as much as I would like.  I can't think of many things that are as exhilarating as that big old bird flushing right up from your feet.  I sort of "reverse retired" and did a lot of things in my younger years when I probably should have been working.  Now I am working and wishing I did the things I did in my younger years.  No regrets though.. I was better at it then than I would be now.  lol.   Not that I am anywhere close to retiring on any level.  Got a few more years under the gun before I can even think about that. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,192 posts
8,931 battles

Ok beer only goes with German

Coca-Cola for  American ships

You need sake for IJN

Wine for the French ships

lol

Sign in to follow this