You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jake_Miller_67

Tier X DDs need nerfing.

36 comments in this topic

Members
60 posts
5,679 battles

I’m sorry, but Tier X was kinda fun for a little while: huge BBs blasting away at each other and some cruisers getting some licks in but essentially getting citadelled routinely.  But now?  Three DDs at Tier X...well, let’s see: 20km torpedoes?  Check.  Invisible at 50 feet?  Check.  2D hull with thickness of a 10mm piece of titanium that any AP zips cleanly through without even scratching paint?  Check.  Okay, fire 1!  Fire 10!  Fire 20! Hey, look at that: I blew up a BB moving at 10 knots while trying to dodge a literal wall of torpedoes!  Yep, so glad I have a Kurfürst/Yamato/whocaresasit’sgonnasinkinaminute!  And you think anyone will play clan battles?  No wonder you’re limiting it to one BB per side: they’ll be sunk in 30 seconds!  

Edited by Jake_Miller_67
  • Cool 1

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
9 minutes ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

I’m sorry, but Tier X was kinda fun for a little while: huge BBs blasting away at each other and some cruisers getting some licks in but essentially getting citadelled routinely.  But now?  Three DDs at Tier X...well, let’s see: 20km torpedoes?  Check.  Invisible at 50 feet?  Check.  2D hull with thickness of a 10mm piece of titanium that any AP zips cleanly through without even scratching paint?  Check.  Okay, fire 1!  Fire 10!  Fire 20! Hey, look at that: I blew up a BB moving at 10 knots while trying to dodge a literal wall of torpedoes!  Yep, so glad I have a Kurfürst/Yamato/whocaresasit’sgonnasinkinaminute!  And you think anyone will play clan battles?  No wonder you’re limiting it to one BB per side: they’ll be sunk in 30 seconds!  

You want salt on your cookie?

http://VG7HUUi.jpg

• Cool 2

[7ARBN]
Members
19 posts
1,716 battles

Feel like maybe instead of nerfing DDs, buffing radar would be better. This would probably also help with the "BBs routinely citadeling cruisers" situation too

• Cool 1

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,143 posts
6,487 battles

Nah.  I feel like we must be playing different games.  You might want to try playing destroyers a bit before you call them overpowered.  At worst they're balanced, but in practice it can be pretty hellish trying to play a DD against a even a very moderately co-ordinated opponent who has a few ships with radar or a carrier. 

The only way you should be dying to destroyers on a regular basis is if you spend a lot of time camped or moving slowly.  You're going to eat a few in most matches, but that's what torpedo belts and hit points are for.  If things were as you describe, I'd be playing destroyers all the time.

Work with your team and find a cruiser buddy and you'll never have to worry about destroyers eating your lunch.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,446 posts
11,750 battles

The nerfed the shimmy 3 times....

And you still can't play a battleship vs a nerfed ships, literally the worst tier 10 destroyer...

Cry mohr 

• Cool 3

Members
60 posts
5,679 battles

K538, I’m not talking about Tier IX or lower, I’m talking Tier X exclusively.  I played a match a few days ago where two Montanas on the other side didn’t even waste their time moving from the open as three of their four DDs SPAWNED within torp range of all of our BBs!  Not kidding, not 1 minute in and three of our ships were gone.  The others were damaged and trying to get out of the way only to be hammered by the Montys and I believe a Der Große that had a field day on us...not four minutes in and we had three ships left in the match!  I think one of their DDs got hit by one of our DDs, but who cares at that point?   You want to tell me how that’s at all right?  

• Cool 1

[5D7]
Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles
15 minutes ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

K538, I’m not talking about Tier IX or lower, I’m talking Tier X exclusively.  I played a match a few days ago where two Montanas on the other side didn’t even waste their time moving from the open as three of their four DDs SPAWNED within torp range of all of our BBs!  Not kidding, not 1 minute in and three of our ships were gone.  The others were damaged and trying to get out of the way only to be hammered by the Montys and I believe a Der Große that had a field day on us...not four minutes in and we had three ships left in the match!  I think one of their DDs got hit by one of our DDs, but who cares at that point?   You want to tell me how that’s at all right?  

When did the purple dragon shooting rainbow farts launch from the CV? If it took longer than 2 seconds then obviously the other team was hacking the spawns.... smh

• Cool 1

[BRN_2]
[BRN_2]
Members
4,222 posts
10,501 battles
1 hour ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

Nerf this, nerf that, I'm not happy, I hate the game, I hate DD's, I hate CL's, I hate HE, I hate water, I hate detonations, I hate radar, nerf smoke, nerf all ships that own me...

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
721 posts
11,933 battles

Without rancor, please consider the following, sir.

DDs have the lowest average damage per game at T10. If they have a higher win percentage, it is because a DD played well can take a big red boat out of the match at a critical time, helping to tip the balance in their team's favor. If you are regularly that big red boat, it might be worthwhile adjusting your approach, brother. As a DD main who plays some of everything (I make no claim to being a "good" player) I know that it is exceptionally difficult to land a killing spread of torpedoes on something at T10. If it is happening to you regularly I think you have to look at your positioning and whether you are getting the cover you need, sir, from your teammates and the terrain.

Respects,

Am

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,310 posts
6,590 battles

I’m sorry, but Tier X was kinda fun for a little while:

With the campy meta that T10 has become? Either you are one of These passive Players as well or should open your eyes.

huge BBs blasting away at each other and some cruisers getting some licks in but essentially getting citadelled routinely.

Okay nevermind, you are a BB main. Why do we even bother explaining anything to you, your mindset is obvious...

Three DDs at Tier X...well, let’s see: 20km torpedoes?

Only one DD has 20km Torps, and they are considered the worst Option of the three choices Shimakaze has. I wonder why... oh wait, lol 2.5km spotting range while being slow af, So most Shimas will run 12km Torps. Gearing has 16.5, Z52 has 10.5, Grozovoi has 10, Khabarovsk has 6km though Torps are more of a decoration on Khaba.

Invisible at 50 feet?  Check.

If only there was a minimum spotting range... something like 2km... oh wait there is.

2D hull with thickness of a 10mm piece of titanium that any AP zips cleanly through without even scratching paint?  Check.

Khabarovsk's 50mm belt armor wants to speak with you, belt armor that makes Cruiser AP getting normal pens resulting in 7+k volleys against them. And this of course applies to other DDs as well, and in case you haven't noticed yet, you can press the '2' key and load High Explosive.

Check.  Okay, fire 1!  Fire 10!  Fire 20! Hey, look at that: I blew up a BB moving at 10 knots while trying to dodge a literal wall of torpedoes!

Oh my god how dare you to be countered? Battleships should always be invincible, the top of the Food chain. No Destroyer shall ever harm you and your passive meta. I mean while you dodging a wall of Torpedoes that regenerates every 90-150 seconds, Cruiser have to dodge a non-stop rain of AP Shells that overmatch them and get fired every 25-30 seconds. But only for you I have a gif here:

oCVLMKF.gif

And you think anyone will play clan battles?  No wonder you’re limiting it to one BB per side: they’ll be sunk in 30 seconds!  

They are limiting BBs because they are too powerful, if you could actually read the notes you would know that. It's not like WG even explained why they limited them...

"Each team can have a single battleship; this limit is because just two battleships in a battle this size can set up a crossfire with their high-caliber guns that leaves an opposing cruiser all but unable to actively participate in the fight. A single battleship can still make a great contribution to the team by using her armor to soak up damage lighter ships can’t take, and by dealing damage to cruisers, her natural targets."

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/clan-destine/

Yeah, I call doubt on that Story. For multiple reasons:

- maps at T10 are mostly 40x40km, with the max range on Torpedoes being 20km (though no one uses those), you would Need a Shimakaze to spawn in the middle of the map to be able to Torp your spawn. And that is impossible
- Torpedoes are slow. My Kagerou's Torps Need at least a Minute to reach 10km. So for 20km Shima Torps (which are slower) we would Need at least 2 minutes. So even assuming that the impossible happened and the Shimakaze was in Position to fire at the beginning of the match (more on that later), your poor poor (sarcasm flags here) Battleships wouldn't have been hit for the first two minutes.
- Torpedoes Need to reload before you can fire them the first time. Considering the lowest Torpedo reload at T10 is 90 seconds stock (Z-52), or 69 seconds after Upgrades, you will never see a T10 DD firing a Torpedo within the first Minute of the game. It's simply impossible.

• Cool 3

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
351 posts
9,348 battles

Shimakaze 20km torp giving you trouble.....

onQaQWBm.gif

Idk if you can't see a torp that has a default spotting range of 2.5km....

I think you might have bigger problems to worry about

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,393 posts
3 hours ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

Replay or didn't happen. You have to use a training room and a low tier map to make that happen. And even then it will only spawn maybe 1 random ship in a random place on the map if it does at all. If you're going to make up a story, make it believable. Outlandish statements are a trademark of blatant fail-trolling.

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
4 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

With the campy meta that T10 has become? Either you are one of These passive Players as well or should open your eyes.

Okay nevermind, you are a BB main. Why do we even bother explaining anything to you, your mindset is obvious...

Only one DD has 20km Torps, and they are considered the worst Option of the three choices Shimakaze has. I wonder why... oh wait, lol 2.5km spotting range while being slow af, So most Shimas will run 12km Torps. Gearing has 16.5, Z52 has 10.5, Grozovoi has 10, Khabarovsk has 6km though Torps are more of a decoration on Khaba.

If only there was a minimum spotting range... something like 2km... oh wait there is.

Khabarovsk's 50mm belt armor wants to speak with you, belt armor that makes Cruiser AP getting normal pens resulting in 7+k volleys against them. And this of course applies to other DDs as well, and in case you haven't noticed yet, you can press the '2' key and load High Explosive.

Oh my god how dare you to be countered? Battleships should always be invincible, the top of the Food chain. No Destroyer shall ever harm you and your passive meta. I mean while you dodging a wall of Torpedoes that regenerates every 90-150 seconds, Cruiser have to dodge a non-stop rain of AP Shells that overmatch them and get fired every 25-30 seconds. But only for you I have a gif here:

oCVLMKF.gif

They are limiting BBs because they are too powerful, if you could actually read the notes you would know that. It's not like WG even explained why they limited them...

"Each team can have a single battleship; this limit is because just two battleships in a battle this size can set up a crossfire with their high-caliber guns that leaves an opposing cruiser all but unable to actively participate in the fight. A single battleship can still make a great contribution to the team by using her armor to soak up damage lighter ships can’t take, and by dealing damage to cruisers, her natural targets."

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/clan-destine/

Yeah, I call doubt on that Story. For multiple reasons:

- maps at T10 are mostly 40x40km, with the max range on Torpedoes being 20km (though no one uses those), you would Need a Shimakaze to spawn in the middle of the map to be able to Torp your spawn. And that is impossible
- Torpedoes are slow. My Kagerou's Torps Need at least a Minute to reach 10km. So for 20km Shima Torps (which are slower) we would Need at least 2 minutes. So even assuming that the impossible happened and the Shimakaze was in Position to fire at the beginning of the match (more on that later), your poor poor (sarcasm flags here) Battleships wouldn't have been hit for the first two minutes.
- Torpedoes Need to reload before you can fire them the first time. Considering the lowest Torpedo reload at T10 is 90 seconds stock (Z-52), or 69 seconds after Upgrades, you will never see a T10 DD firing a Torpedo within the first Minute of the game. It's simply impossible.

If they impose too many Battleship Restrictions we can always do what the navies of the world did after the Washington Naval treaty that imposed strict limits on Battleships... Lol that treaty failed to mention Heavy Cruisers sparking a new arms race that led to the need for London Naval Treaty to close that loophole lol.

But I imagine same thing would happen in WOWs as far as the Heavy Cruisers go if BBs face too tight of restrictions.

Also want to point out that those of you who complain about BBs better like CVs in battles because BBs often draw the attention of CVs and the BBs typically carry more AA guns than many smaller ships are able to carry so guess what some of your weak AA CAs and DDs will have to contend with if BBs vanish lol.

( and yes I know some CAs have good AA and small number if DDs as well. )

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,310 posts
6,590 battles
29 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If they impose too many Battleship Restrictions we can always do what the navies of the world did after the Washington Naval treaty that imposed strict limits on Battleships... Lol that treaty failed to mention Heavy Cruisers sparking a new arms race that led to the need for London Naval Treaty to close that loophole lol.

But I imagine same thing would happen in WOWs as far as the Heavy Cruisers go if BBs face too tight of restrictions.

There is a reason for why People call Moskva the T10 Russian Battleship :Smile_teethhappy:

She has a 50mm midship hull, that is better than some T10 Battleships (USN has 38, Germans have 50, RN has 25mm, Yamato has 32/57mm). And she is larger than Amagi with a similar hitpool.

31 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Also want to point out that those of you who complain about BBs better like CVs in battles because BBs often draw the attention of CVs and the BBs typically carry more AA guns than many smaller ships are able to carry so guess what some of your weak AA CAs and DDs will have to contend with if BBs vanish lol.

( and yes I know some CAs have good AA and small number if DDs as well. )

I love and hate CVs at the same time. I hate them so I make brutal AA builds, and love to see them in my games where I can just slaughter their planes.

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
46 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

There is a reason for why People call Moskva the T10 Russian Battleship :Smile_teethhappy:

She has a 50mm midship hull, that is better than some T10 Battleships (USN has 38, Germans have 50, RN has 25mm, Yamato has 32/57mm). And she is larger than Amagi with a similar hitpool.

I love and hate CVs at the same time. I hate them so I make brutal AA builds, and love to see them in my games where I can just slaughter their planes.

My Feelings and actions exactly when it comes to CVs lol.

Unfotunately I often have to divert a little of the full potential of my AA away and out towards Secondaries to help fend off DDs, but with ever increasingly more powerful CVs entering the game it's likely I will have to add AA equipment onto at least some of my ships instead of secondary equipment since GZ AP bombs getting through BFT and AFT skills plus manually giving AA priority targets to shoot down has had some displeasing failures recently.

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
41 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

The 2km spot range is utterly broken i had a scharn pop up from my ship undetected at approx 50 feet away.

Was there an island that he came around or some smoke? You can get surprisingly close with such things around, especially if you hold fire while doing the sneaking around lol.

[5D7]
Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles
44 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Was there an island that he came around or some smoke? You can get surprisingly close with such things around, especially if you hold fire while doing the sneaking around lol.

Everything is still detected at 2 km base, no matter smoke / island between

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,143 posts
6,487 battles
8 hours ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

Like I said, you might want to try playing destroyers before jumping to the conclusion that they're OP.  Whatever ship I'm playing in always seems at a disadvantage to the class of ship I'm not playing, this is just selection bias.  It seems like magic because you don't have the full perspective.  But if you step out of your current situation it's often easy to see how this isn't really true.  At the very least it would make you a better battleship player as you'll start to see obvious locations for destroyers to go and obvious traps that make for easy killing areas if you sit still or come broadside around a corner, etc.

This might be your perception, but none of what you're describing matches my experience.  It's possible that you might spawn within torp range of the Shimakaze or Gearing, but this certainly isn't the case on any map I can think of, but even still so what?  Unless you stay still there's zero chance that a destroyer is going to be able to target you and hit you at that range unless you don't move for about 2 minutes or because you just got a bit unlucky on some blind shots.

I've been in matches where my whole team was wiped out in the first few minutes, but I have never seen that happen because of destroyers.  It happens because my team balled up and made a huge target and then generally played extremely poorly.  I'm not questioning your personal perspective, but I am strongly questioning whether or not you have the whole picture.  Unless there's a replay I'm not really inclined to believe that you saw the whole picture, or at least you're not sharing it here.

I'm not saying that there aren't things that could be improved, but nerfing destroyers doesn't make sense for balance.  Battleships are very dominant at top tiers, especially tier 10.

I don't see anything that needs to be fixed in this particular regard, battleships should be very vulnerable to destroyers in general as this is an explicit counter in the game mechanics and even still they shouldn't be able to kill you in a single blow unless they coordinate well or the battleship driver does something wrong.  Tier 10 isn't forgiving and it shouldn't be.  At least in theory, everybody should be at the top of their game by the time the get there and a big part of this is thinking ahead to what the enemy is going to do and frankly I don't know how to do that if I'm not familiar with how the other classes work on various maps.

You're not being taken very seriously here because you seem to think tier 10 is about battleships "blasting away" at each other with a supporting role for cruisers.  What role do you think the role of destroyers should be if not for sneaking up on battleships and denying them strong passive positions on the map?

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,082 posts
8,964 battles

Keep saying to yourselves the Shim is the worst DD.   Its the hardest ship to get hits with torpedoes with.  It can still spot and cap.  Smoke still works.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
9 hours ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

shims has almost 2 min reload.   so, it isn't 1 min in.  :P