You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SIR_VENOM_IK

Smoke change question

11 comments in this topic

[5IN]
Members
47 posts
14,378 battles

Is the smoek change gonna be effective liek the cyclone is  if im spotted at 5.3 km  can that guy at 12 km actually see me if so then this change is  dumb if not and the guy at 5.3 can see me and the guy a 6 km cant im all for it clarification please?

Members
19 posts

Sadly it appears as though it's just going to be a proximity spotting thing rather than an actually logical change [this assumes something is wrong with smoke that merits change at all, which is completely not the case]. Inb4 replies about how this change is good even though it was never a discussion that these changes are objectively 100% terrible

[SYN]
Members
234 posts
3,652 battles
6 minutes ago, Sukkoi19 said:

So as long as someone is within your detection range you are visible to everyone?  Wow.  If that is true it is going to hurt. I thought it was just like a cyclone.  

The intent, if I am reading this change properly, is to allow ships to remain "hidden" as long as they don't fire their main guns.  The larger the ship and the larger the gun also are factors.

It's what happens when enough players complain that ships that had smoke emitters were too hard to see and that it was unfair that they could fire their main guns while remaining "invisible".  Now even those ships can't (that is, the ones that were designed to be able to do it) can't be fully invisible anymore.

But, I'm not completely sure about the ability.  I need to test it out before speculating anymore.

Members
2,504 posts
5,496 battles
25 minutes ago, Pacific_Cruiser1942 said:

The intent, if I am reading this change properly, is to allow ships to remain "hidden" as long as they don't fire their main guns.  The larger the ship and the larger the gun also are factors.

It's what happens when enough players complain that ships that had smoke emitters were too hard to see and that it was unfair that they could fire their main guns while remaining "invisible".  Now even those ships can't (that is, the ones that were designed to be able to do it) can't be fully invisible anymore.

But, I'm not completely sure about the ability.  I need to test it out before speculating anymore.

Another factor not explained is that if another ship is right next to you and it fires its guns what is the end result of the detection of your own ship? Logically your ship would have its cover blown...but we will see tommorrow as to how this will pan out. 

[SYN]
Members
234 posts
3,652 battles
9 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

Another factor not explained is that if another ship is right next to you and it fires its guns what is the end result of the detection of your own ship? Logically your ship would have its cover blown...but we will see tommorrow as to how this will pan out. 

Eeewww ... not a good thought.  I sincerely hope that it NOT the case!

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
27 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

This does not happen. Only the ship that fired gets spotted.

• Cool 1

[5IN]
Members
47 posts
14,378 battles

no one knows then  i hope its just liek the cyclone spotting and not the idiot at 18 km away can fire upon him then its a waste of a mechanic  in the game

[SYN]
Members
234 posts
3,652 battles
9 hours ago, SIR_VENOM_IK said:

no one knows then  i hope its just liek the cyclone spotting and not the idiot at 18 km away can fire upon him then its a waste of a mechanic  in the game

I agree.  That's why I can't wait to see what happens.  I haven't gotten on the game since the update yet.

[LOU1]
Members
3,063 posts
8,155 battles

Interestingly, this has been discussed for several months and available in the last two Public Tests.

I believe it is WG staff that said that only the firing ship is spotted.

Spotting is consistent - if you spot a ship, the rest of your team can see it also.

If the spotted ship is outside of your render range, you will not see it directly, but it will be on your minimap.

Your detection is increased for 20 seconds after you fire.

If you leave the smoke during the 20 second bloom, your detection increases to your normal detection after firing.

Major impact on BBs, minor on DDs, moderate on CA/CLs.

TL/DR:  If you are a BB, don't fire in  or behind smoke if you don't want to be seen across the map.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,572 battles
On 10/17/2017 at 9:39 PM, Pacific_Cruiser1942 said:

Ive not had a chance to play the new patch yet but I suppose it’s in line with Wows listening to its players by changing the mechanics were your now visible if you fire your guns for a time and this change to smoke follows the same theme ... firing and doing significant damage while invisable thingy not good