You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
megadeux

IJN secondaries need more appreciation.

11 comments in this topic

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles

I'm serious, the AP secondaries the IJN BBs have feel so overpowered sometimes. I feel like nobody actually realized they exist. But I can't count how many times these secondaries have saved my butt, they deserve to be at least as feared as the German secondaries. Even though they fire AP they work really well, it's hilarious how quickly German BBs lose health to them simply because they think they can get away with being broadside when my guns are rotating, not to mention the secondaries can rip 8k chunks out of CAs who think they can torpedo me. 

Oh, and does anyone have any good brawl footage from IJN BBs, it's always funny to watch.

[XBRTC]
Members
148 posts
7,446 battles

I feel like everyone is of the opinion that HE secondaries are superior to AP secondaries, but there can be times where AP hits harder. I wonder if they are going to give us AP or HE on the Musashi's 6" since we're getting the 1942 configuration?

Musashi1942.png

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
4 minutes ago, SteveStevenson said:

I feel like everyone is of the opinion that HE secondaries are superior to AP secondaries, but there can be times where AP hits harder. I wonder if they are going to give us AP or HE on the Musashi's 6" since we're getting the 1942 configuration?

AP. The 155s already fire AP in the game, so I'd imagine that they won't change.

[XBRTC]
Members
148 posts
7,446 battles
Just now, Doomlock said:

AP. The 155s already fire AP in the game, so I'd imagine that they won't change.

I'd like to see them make Musashi as different as they can, so I hope they do at least test it out with HE.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
22 minutes ago, SteveStevenson said:

Musashi1942.png

Wow, that's a lot of secondaries, do we have a contender for brawler at tier 9? I'd love to see de grobe vs musashi.

[XBRTC]
Members
148 posts
7,446 battles
6 minutes ago, megadeux said:

Wow, that's a lot of secondaries, do we have a contender for brawler at tier 9? I'd love to see de grobe vs musashi.

It's less barrels than the T10 Yamato, we're trading 6 x 127mm HE for 3 x 6" (likely) AP at a slower rate of fire. It's going to be interesting to see what they do, and this ship may be a very interesting one if built as a brawler.

Members
819 posts
3,823 battles

AP secondaries are awesome, especially when they start landing penetrations and citadels, when it first came out my Kaga ate two cruisers that got too close. I also remember when when a Moyko flanked my Izumo from behind and two of the 155's deleted it. Aside from battleships I can't see why people hate AP secondaries so much, they chew up destroyers and criusers nicely. Wish I could give the 150's on my Tirpitz AP shells.

Edited by Magic_Fighting_Tuna

Beta Testers
1,418 posts
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:14 PM, megadeux said:

I'm serious, the AP secondaries the IJN BBs have feel so overpowered sometimes. I feel like nobody actually realized they exist. But I can't count how many times these secondaries have saved my butt, they deserve to be at least as feared as the German secondaries. Even though they fire AP they work really well, it's hilarious how quickly German BBs lose health to them simply because they think they can get away with being broadside when my guns are rotating, not to mention the secondaries can rip 8k chunks out of CAs who think they can torpedo me. 

Oh, and does anyone have any good brawl footage from IJN BBs, it's always funny to watch.

I find them quite underwhelming actually. Yamato with full secondary spec is not as effective as a Scharnhorst with full secondaries. Nowhere near effective. Sure it has 3km more range but it doesn't chew up DD's like the Scharnhorst does.

I didn't bother with secondaries on Yamato tbh... due to its horrid rudder and turret rotation time, a DD that gets close enough to get spotted by you... its too late you're already kissing most if not all your HP goodbye.

Even when I run my shima I don't have much fear of Yamato's secondaries when I get detected. German secondaries though, those are damn nasty.

[APOC-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
96 posts
4,066 battles

IJN secondary builds are pointless, only the German BBs make it viable.

Plenty of better builds to use that are less situational and far, far more effective.

Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
On 10/18/2017 at 2:44 AM, SteveStevenson said:

feel like everyone is of the opinion that HE secondaries are superior to AP secondaries

Probably it's because they are better. They work against most targets and even when they can't do direct damage, they can still set fires. AP secondaries are very-very situational. Only cases where AP secondaries might match or outperform HE is when you're brawling some very lightly armored cruiser or a really fat DD, like Ze Germans or a Gearing.

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
148 posts
7,446 battles
16 hours ago, geser98 said:

Probably it's because they are better. They work against most targets and even when they can't do direct damage, they can still set fires. AP secondaries are very-very situational. Only cases where AP secondaries might match or outperform HE is when you're brawling some very lightly armored cruiser or a really fat DD, like Ze Germans or a Gearing.

Yes, and the casemate AP secondaries are usually low in the water and take on belt armor, which they aren't great at doing anything to. Do you think the raised position of the Musashi batteries will mean more superstructure hits, and more consistent damage? I also feel like AP shells don't take out secondary guns and torpedo mounts often enough.