You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Buzzardsluck

Karma is a joke and should be replaced.

45 comments in this topic

Members
400 posts
6,311 battles

In today's society where snowflakes are everywhere, Karma is a joke. It should be replaced with up/good point for finishing in top 3 and down/bad point for the bottom 3 in a match/battle. This would be a much better grade of a player, not perfect but better. Karma is if you are polite at beginning and give a HF GL, you are a nice guy. If you tell the guy behind you that he are turning and why isn't he helping with the push, while he has almost full health, you then become the bad guy and him and his pal knock you for it. I never use bad language and I am always trying to set direction or opinion. Example, if we lose badly, towards the end, I will comment, For future reference, never go for A on this map because it divides the team because of that big island. This is after at the beginning I suggested BC. Snowflakes cannot handle that. Get rid of Karma, because there is not way to score good play and no matter how polite you are, nice guys do finish last. 

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Members
9,059 posts

I give out helpful suggestions all the time and never lose karma for it. Besides it doesnt mean anything. Since it doesnt mean anything why do you care?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles
10 minutes ago, Buzzardsluck said:

Karma is if you are polite at beginning and give a HF GL, you are a nice guy.

This is literally the point of Karma. We already have XP, ranks, credits, and scoreboards for personal performance. Karma is there to reflect whether other people find you enjoyable to be in a game with.

And before the inevitable "but it doesn't matter because there are no consequences" argument... just... think through the implications for the game if "ban or it didn't matter" were the norm.

• Cool 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

In my experience, all you need to do to not have a karma problem is not be a sociopath. I potato hard in destroyers, cruisers, and battleships, and deliver righteous Justice from the skies and my karma is approaching 200.

• Cool 3

[PSP]
Members
6,359 posts
8,982 battles
28 minutes ago, Buzzardsluck said:

In today's society where snowflakes are everywhere, Karma is a joke.

I'm not sure that basing Karma strictly on top or bottom ranking in a match would amount to much as this would be based just on game-play and not on how everyone felt about you that match. I am more likely to give a thumb's up to those who are funny or helpful in chat or give constructive criticism than those who simply play well.

What might be better is to remove the negative aspect of Karma like has been done here in the forums. This would allow positive comments but do away with those who give negative Karma out of spite. Extremely toxic players could still receive reviews or chat bans through a hidden system of negative ratings specific to the "misbehavior in chat" selection. However, one's Karma wouldn't be affected by things like someone being upset because you "stole" their kill or didn't follow their instructions, etc. 

This is sort of off topic but your avatar looks mighty familiar. You didn't happen to go through Basic at Leonard Wood did you?

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles

I've gotten negative karma when I didn't deserve it more often than I get nothing when I deserve negative karma for being a sarcastic a$$.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,254 posts
7,805 battles

Its weird, sometimes I am being a a**hole and don't get reported and sometimes I do nothing but play well and get reported. (Though I get comps far more often.)

[-K-]
Supertester
3,099 posts
6,832 battles

I feel stupid for repeating this so often, but it really disturbs me that people think Karma has any meaning.  What happens when you get negative karma?  Do your repair costs increase?  Does your XP gain goes down?  Do you earn fewer credits?  Does MM take large pewps on you?  What happens when your karma goes up?  Do you make mroe money?  More XP?  Do you have better concealment?  Does your heal increase?  Repair cooldown diminish?  

There is ZERO in game effect for Karma.  It is a system that is designed purely for vanity.  It allows people who use negative karma to feel like they've accomplished something as an outlet for being frustrated.  It also allows people a tangible quantifiable way to express appreciation for someone who has done well or helped out in game.  

Again, ZERO effect in game.  It's just window dressing.  Why in the effing world do people care about this?

• Cool 9

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
19 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

Its weird, sometimes I am being a a**hole and don't get reported and sometimes I do nothing but play well and get reported. (Though I get comps far more often.)

Your just getting complimented for carrying people.  Deep down inside, they resent you. =p

[PSP]
Members
6,359 posts
8,982 battles

I kid you not, I just checked my Karma and find that I lost points in the game that I charged a cap and took out five of the enemy team, being awarded a High Caliber, Kraken, Close Quarters Expert and securing the win for our team. Someone was either butthurt because I beat them or jealous because I took away "their" kills. This is why Karma is meaningless.

• Cool 1

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
1 minute ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

I feel stupid for repeating this so often, but it really disturbs me that people think Karma has any meaning.  What happens when you get negative karma?  Do your repair costs increase?  Does your XP gain goes down?  Do you earn fewer credits?  Does MM take large pewps on you?  What happens when your karma goes up?  Do you make mroe money?  More XP?  Do you have better concealment?  Does your heal increase?  Repair cooldown diminish?  

There is ZERO in game effect for Karma.  It is a system that is designed purely for vanity.  It allows people who use negative karma to feel like they've accomplished something as an outlet for being frustrated.  It also allows people a tangible quantifiable way to express appreciation for someone who has done well or helped out in game.  

Again, ZERO effect in game.  It's just window dressing.  Why in the effing world do people care about this?

Self esteem issues man.  Mommy didn't hug me enough. ~.~

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,233 posts
14,657 battles

I can be very vocal with dumb things my team does and lose karma over that.  But my play more than offsets that so I never have a karma problem :Smile_teethhappy:

[ZR]
Members
961 posts
11,320 battles
53 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

You are using logic.  That's obviously not allowed in WoWs.

• Cool 1

[RUSH]
[RUSH]
Beta Testers
4 posts
5,849 battles

I know Karma means nothing in game, but I do get upset when people report you becuase they dont like your name or as some have said because they feel you cheated when you hit them and killed them when they were sitting still with the broadside of the ship facing you. I do agree that its a way for people to vent and makes it so Wargaming does not have to listen to people complain that this or that sucks.. I have gotten reported becuase I was afk, yep afk trying to get my game to reload after it crashed right after I started moving....

[SOV]
Beta Testers
1,499 posts
5,927 battles
On 10/17/2017 at 11:40 AM, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

I carefully build up and cultivate my Karma just so that I can expend the majority of it in a salt cyclone

Ah, the old scorched earth policy, I know this very well. Had a game this weekend and my division mate was carrying the game in his CV (Essex) when a Shima starts whining because he got attacked by the opposing CV once... and lived, easily. I defended my division mate with righteous zeal and the Shima eventually acknowledged he was out of line, not before dumping his remaining reports on me. Went in with 12, left the battle with 9 and someone complimented me. Easy come, easy go.  :Smile_teethhappy:

[PSP]
Members
6,359 posts
8,982 battles
56 minutes ago, Brohk said:

Went in with 12, left the battle with 9 and someone complimented me. Easy come, easy go.  :Smile_teethhappy:

I was up to 12 and then had a week where I did amazingly well, ending up either first or second on the team every game. At the end of the week my Karma was 0. The ability to give negative Karma just because you are butthurt because someone on the team scores higher than you or someone on the opposing team played better than you makes it meaningless.

• Cool 3

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

Lost 2 karma 2 games ago for not doing exactly what some stranger wanted me to do. Yea, I'm done caring about karma. Dumb system.

• Cool 1

[_AFW_]
Members
987 posts
7,021 battles
10 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I was up to 12 and then had a week where I did amazingly well, ending up either first or second on the team every game. At the end of the week my Karma was 0. The ability to give negative Karma just because you are butthurt because someone on the team scores higher than you or someone on the opposing team played better than you makes it meaningless.

I do have to agree with you on this. 

[HEROS]
Members
1,431 posts
12,102 battles

The Karma system is not about your SCORE.. or ablity in the game.. it's about how you are viewed by your fellow players.

A few week ago the Cammandant of the USAF academy called together the wing of Cadets, and the students of the academey prep school because of an hate incedent at the prep school..  With the entire facalty of both the school and the academy present he told those officers to be  "If You cannot treat those around you with dignity and respect,  Get out."

If your running zero karma after months of playing this game then you really need to work on your social skills because THAT is what Karma is a measure of.  When you get a "misbehaves in chat", or "plays poorly" from other plays in a match you get negative karma, and your karma score drops.   So if you want a higher Karma score stop being a trash talker, and stop talking down to other players.  Stop with the name calling.  Stop expouding about "fail" divisions, and Fail teams and the like.  Treat your fellow players with dignity, and respect and stop being a nassisitic self "I'm a special butter fly and you all suck" serving jerk in game.  Do that and your Karma will start coming up.  Until you do, expect to keep getting negative karma points.

And be thankfull they don't put teeth into the karma rating system.  If they did there would be a lot more banned player around.    And bear in mind it's a lot more difficult to have and keep a good karma rating then any other rating in this game because it's purely a peer vote system.  ANd than mans that you have to get  sufficient up votes to off set the down vote from spitefull mean small thinking selfish players who take offense at the smallest thing.  Oh, and Original Poster.. I know your name.

Be a help full player.. Make constructive suggestions to players you see struggling.  Word them in a non-confrontational manner.   It take a lot of seat time to get really good at this game for the VAST majority of the player base.  Don't play the blame game when you do a bone head move, or over extend and get sunk.  Don't accuse players of running hacks when they're just flat better then you.. for that match at least.

Courtesy and Respect.  That's how you get positive karma..  Has nothing to really do with your game skill.. it has everything to do with your people skills.  

[SYN]
Members
4,550 posts
11,437 battles
On 10/17/2017 at 10:17 AM, Buzzardsluck said:

In today's society where snowflakes are everywhere, Karma is a joke. It should be replaced with up/good point for finishing in top 3 and down/bad point for the bottom 3 in a match/battle. This would be a much better grade of a player, not perfect but better. Karma is if you are polite at beginning and give a HF GL, you are a nice guy. If you tell the guy behind you that he are turning and why isn't he helping with the push, while he has almost full health, you then become the bad guy and him and his pal knock you for it. I never use bad language and I am always trying to set direction or opinion. Example, if we lose badly, towards the end, I will comment, For future reference, never go for A on this map because it divides the team because of that big island. This is after at the beginning I suggested BC. Snowflakes cannot handle that. Get rid of Karma, because there is not way to score good play and no matter how polite you are, nice guys do finish last. 

Polite or not, I try to not tell others how to play, period.  Usually doesn't work out well.  I'll generally ask for help or advise a heads up if needed, but not tell someone what to do specifically.  You don't know what the other guy is thinking, and you shouldn't expect him to do what you would do.

Even if someone is obviously playing like a knucklehead, experience taught me that it's just better to not say anything at all.  Just ignore it and let him be, and do your own thing.  Difficult, yes, but you will forget all about it in five minutes anyway, so it's just not worth it.  If you have to say something, just say it out loud to yourself to get it out of your system, then move on.

Finally, telling the team "I told you we shouldn't have done that" in hindsight makes you look kinda ignorant, even if you are being polite.  Confirming something after the fact is pointless.  Besides, maps can be and are won any number of ways, despite that big island you talked about, and even sometimes because of it.

Edited by Kuckoo

[PSP]
Members
6,359 posts
8,982 battles
1 hour ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

Courtesy and Respect.  That's how you get positive karma..  Has nothing to really do with your game skill.. it has everything to do with your people skills.  

No, that is not true. I'm both helpful and funny in chat and I never troll or flame and yet I rarely get positive karma. Players will give you a negative report for coming into a cap and "stealing their ribbon from them," because they don't know that it's time in the cap and not a shared ribbon that gives them XP. Others will give you a negative report for "stealing" their kill, even though said ship is on the verge of sinking them in one more salvo. Some play only one game per day and give the lowest seven players on the team negative Karma to "teach them a lesson." If you play a CV then expect to receive negative Karma each game because there is going to be at least one player on the team that is mad because an enemy plane flew over him unattacked by your fighters or that you didn't spot for him exclusively. Some give you negative Karma because they are mad at the whole team and yours is the easiest name to remember. 

• Cool 4