You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

So, about those deep water torpedoes ...

12 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
19,207 posts
12,740 battles

From the official 6.12 patch notes, we learn that:

Deepwater torpedoes will now engage targets depending on the type of a ship locked on. Pan-Asian destroyers and the torpedo bombers of the German aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin carry torpedoes that can hit any target in the game except destroyers.

Be mindful that in Update 0.6.11 deepwater torpedoes could hit targets depending on their draught. Torpedoes passing beneath a player's ship are displayed as circle indicators. In this case, the torpedo approach alarm will not go off and the torpedo alarm indicator will not be displayed, either.

What it does not say, is whether deep water torpedoes that will pass harmlessly underneath your destroyer, are spotted by the destroyer and any ship's behind it will know they're coming or not.

IE, if I launch DW torpedoes at a battleship and there's a destroyer between him and me, will the battleship know the torpedoes are coming by way of the destroyer spotting them?

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Or to that end if it's locked onto a BB will it still potentially go under a cruiser and if locked onto a cruiser hit a BB and do the damage of a regular torpedo?

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,625 posts
5,956 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

will the battleship know the torpedoes are coming by way of the destroyer spotting them?

Yes.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,207 posts
12,740 battles
Just now, ENO75 said:

Or to that end if it's locked onto a BB will it still potentially go under a cruiser and if locked onto a cruiser hit a BB and do the damage of a regular torpedo?

They will pass underneath destroyers and hit other ships as normal, according to the patch notes.

Just now, _V12 said:

Yes.

Source / proof?

[HINON]
Supertester
19,207 posts
12,740 battles
Just now, _V12 said:

Graf Zeppelin tests.  No NDA here!

I'll take your word for it then, and am glad that it works this way.  would've been very annoyed if DDs didn't spot DW torps for other ships.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,625 posts
5,956 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

I'll take your word for it then, and am glad that it works this way.  would've been very annoyed if DDs didn't spot DW torps for other ships.

I remember divving with an AA Fletcher while piloting mine against another GZT and him spotting the torps after taunting the guy into dropping.  

Of course, it's possible they changed that, but it's doubtful.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I'd also like to know if planes will see them.

I figure they will, but I haven't seen any info on it yet.

I guess a case could be made that they run lower and are too hard to spot, but idk.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,801 posts
7,039 battles
35 minutes ago, Lert said:

From the official 6.12 patch notes, we learn that:

What it does not say, is whether deep water torpedoes that will pass harmlessly underneath your destroyer, are spotted by the destroyer and any ship's behind it will know they're coming or not.

IE, if I launch DW torpedoes at a battleship and there's a destroyer between him and me, will the battleship know the torpedoes are coming by way of the destroyer spotting them?

No.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,207 posts
12,740 battles
2 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

No.

Source / proof? Because that goes directly against what V12 said.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,729 posts
4,737 battles
38 minutes ago, Lert said:

From what I've read, not sure if it's gospel or changed, DW torps have a smaller detect radius then the standard currently?  If that's the case DD's still might have trouble spotting them a little depending on positioning, IE they're gonna need to be closer to the torps then standard torpedo screening duty is currently.  (But I could be totally off base with that)

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,801 posts
7,039 battles
14 minutes ago, Lert said:

Source / proof? Because that goes directly against what V12 said.

hunch