Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

British Battleships - Low Point?

11 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
5,287 posts
9,108 battles

Hey everyone,

Now that the initial spam has died down from launch and MM seems to be normalizing again, I'm going to be starting the British battleship line this week.  As we are all familiar, the line as a whole seems pretty strong.  

With that being said, what ship(s) can be considered the weak/low points in the line?  I've heard multiple gripes over both KGV and Monarch, but not much else.

Also, do they all have overtly strong HE, or just a select few?

What are your thoughts?

Members
150 posts
2,332 battles

The brits have the best HE for a battleship in both alpha damage and fire chance, along with a gun calibre/4 pen factor. These thongs can citadel cruisers with that alone. As for AP, it's best for soft targets. They also have a hard to hit citadel themselves and a improved heal, so you won't have to worry about going to the bottom. Get the accuracy mod for better dispersion. Everything else is up to you. 

[HINON]
Supertester
19,213 posts
12,740 battles

Iron Duke and Monarch seems to be the consensus.

QE and Monarch have normal-ish HE compared to the rest.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,729 posts
4,737 battles

From what i've heard so far, Iron Duke and Queen Elizabeth seem to be the ones people don't like grinding.  I'm only up to the Iron Duke myself and while it's not...  Bad...  It just doesn't seem to have much going for it.  I liken it to an HE slinging New York really.  Queen Elizabeth I think get's kind of overshadowed by the Warspite hence why some don't like her. 

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I don't get the gripe for KGV, she's one of my best ships right now and I love her. I've heard Monarch being the real let down of the line though.

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,046 posts
10,456 battles

10k from the Monarch, and so far the only drag has been the QE - I saw Pope_SHizzle wrecking people in his Monarch the other day ( including me  ) ask him.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
947 posts
10,405 battles

QE is essentially the same as a pre-buffed Warspite, use AP and play it like the old warspite, abuse overmatch mechanics in your tier spread and you should do fine. IMO people complain about it because it plays better if you use it more like traditional BBs than HE spamming UK BB; which is different than everything that came before it. 

[PROJX]
Members
969 posts
15,734 battles
48 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Hey everyone,

Now that the initial spam has died down from launch and MM seems to be normalizing again, I'm going to be starting the British battleship line this week.  As we are all familiar, the line as a whole seems pretty strong.  

With that being said, what ship(s) can be considered the weak/low points in the line?  I've heard multiple gripes over both KGV and Monarch, but not much else.

Also, do they all have overtly strong HE, or just a select few?

What are your thoughts?

Hey Ace! - I think the "low point" being the KGV and Monarch is actually overated - All the British BBs are really fun - the tiers up to T6 play kinda like the early US line (i.e. tanky bruisers except w/ exceptional HE - you get more HE damage from a T4 Orion (5900) than a T10 Montana (5700)) and the T7-10 playing more like Cruisers w/ really big guns that like to maneuver.   I've gone up the line and am about a few 10Ks of unlocking the Conqueror andI found the different playstyles as you go up the line part of the fun (and they all have exceptional HE as you stated, and also great conceal for ambush tactics or disengagement).

Why the KGV (win rate 67%) gets its bad press is the 14" gun cal is smaller than every other T7 & can't bow pen any of its tier counterparts. That's situational though and T7 MM is not bad so if you use it like a less tanky non-brawly Scharn (for example) w/ no torpedoes or like a maneuvering cruiser, you'll really like the KGV.  Tho it doesn't have the insane T9-10 heal, it still has the Warspite's heal rate which used to be the best BB heal available.

The Monarch's (win rate 53%) bad press stems from it's relatively short gun range 18+ km rather than the 20+ you'd like to see and 15" gun caliber.  It also still has the Warspite heal & doesn't benefit from the insane T9-T10 heals just yet.   T8 MM is also  pretty brutal and you'll get uptiered into T10 matches quite a bit so she just fits into that MM dead zone that create a perception that she's a problem ship.

One thing I've noticed re: the "British BB Play Meta" (i.e. HE rules them all) is that when other players believe in this, it can actually help you get more of an advantage in a battle.  What I mean is the following:

• UK BB Play Meta - has increased the use of HE in other non-UK BBs as well.  More (non-UK) BBs are trying to spam HE when AP would be a more effective shell to use if they selected their aimpoint judiciously.
  • UK BB Play Meta - has given some less experienced players the expectation that if they see a UK BB, they primarily have to worry about HE.  They play a bit more loosely with their side with severe consequences.

I've used this in my gameplay a lot since I play the British BBs using AP whenever it makes sense (e.g. broadside targets).   The British AP is great for lighter armored targets giving you fewer overpens and still great for deleting cruisers.  The AP works well on BBs broadside - the only difference is I shoot at most BBs like I was targeting a German BB (i.e. I aim above between the main armor belt & deckline).

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,809 posts
10,327 battles

The Iron Duke is relatively a slight upgrade to the Orion, but she's tremendously strong.

The Queen Elizabeth is bad, and worse - pointless. She has 2.5'/s vs. 3.3'/s of turret traverse and a 680m vs. 550m turning circle. Her secondaries are inferior anti-ship lacking forward-firing arcs or Warspite's legacy accuracy. Her range is slightly longer but her concealment is slightly worse. The AA is mostly pointless given carrier frequency and likelihood of attack, plus Warspite can torpedobeat better.

The King George V is in my view not exactly bad but wildly inconsistent and more of a damage farmer than a threat. Her AP is not decisive. The HE is good for starting repairable fires. I ran up a ludicrous damage total, but couldn't influence the game. The KGV is also mostly incapable of damage tanking as acres of 25mm plating make her too vulnerable to any kind of firepower. 

The Monarch is a poor, contradictory ship. The stealth is good for alpha striking, but the guns favor ROF over hitting power or accuracy. The 15in's are underwhelming. The great concealment to fade out runs counter to a 25s reload which suggests closing to brawl. The ship also suffers from being a direct KGV copy-paste with identical HP, turning and speed. HP is pretty low at T8.

The Lion is pretty fantastic after a couple of games, shame it's getting nerfed.

Of the 4 weaker ones I'd plump for Monarch as the worst, closely followed by QE. KGV's fine, she just plays like a cruiser rather than a battleship and Iron Duke is great, just not as great as ludicrous Orion.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

i don't think any one ship is bad in UK  BB line.   Iron Duke is strong if you play it like  heavy cruiser.    Stock t6-8  have low range, but playable  and good once upgraded.  (still grinding stock hull on monarch at the moment)   

against BB, you have to shoot higher  with AP for pen dmg, you will do good dmg but won't get much  cits.    HE also does great dmg regardless of angle as long as you don't hit belt armor.    they are not as tanky as other nation, but plenty strong.

Beta Testers
1,158 posts
5,295 battles

The Monarch has been a bit of a drag for me, almost completely due to it's main gun range.   It is hard playing a BB with an 18km range and getting throw into matches with tier X ships.  At that tier even some CAs can out range you.  Thankfully I can generally get in close enough at the beginning of an engagement but I have had some situations were I had to sail into fire for a few KMs before I could return fire.

Sign in to follow this