You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Complete list of new smoke-firing detectibility penalties

50 comments in this topic

[HYDRA]
Members
136 posts
1,169 battles
34 minutes ago, Meatshield_No13 said:

Mahan: 2.98 km

Loyang: 2.75 km

The Loyang is a C hull Mahan, why is it stealthier? 

Edit; I confused the Mahan and benson

Edited by Herodotus4

Members
1,146 posts
6,388 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Danae: 4.71 km
Emerald: 5.4 km
Leander: 4.6 km

Looks like it's not just players who hate the Emerald. 

Edited by Rocketpacman

[SYN]
Members
292 posts
11,209 battles
44 minutes ago, Lert said:

Hardly. At least, with my playstyle, I like to stay at least 10km from my targets anyways.

Yeah about 10-12 KM minimum for me too - I don't see this as an issue for Kutz (well not enough to make me sell her !)

[NG-NL]
Members
5,929 posts
9,565 battles

No issue. Just post-it note the smoke detect range of your favorite ships if playing cruisers or DDs.

BBs can rely on smoke just for a breather, however, depending on proximity of nearby DDs, their stealth-firing will be too limited to matter much.

[AR15]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,773 battles

I'm so glad they're ramming these changes that no one asked for through, just to fix something that wasn't broken, so they could turn WoWs into an Esports platform. 

I have a funny feeling that this is going to have a really, really big, negative impact on random team play. Also, nice cruiser nerf WG! 10/10 they were all over performing anyways. /s

[AR15]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,773 battles
1 hour ago, issm said:

RIP aggressive team play period.

Fixed that for you. 

[SYN]
Members
15,380 posts
12,506 battles
7 minutes ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

I'm so glad they're ramming these changes that no one asked for through, just to fix something that wasn't broken, so they could turn WoWs into an Esports platform. 

I have a funny feeling that this is going to have a really, really big, negative impact on random team play. Also, nice cruiser nerf WG! 10/10 they were all over performing anyways. /s

Are you sure about that?

At T8, you had the fire slug of kutuzovs and chappayevs working in conjunction within smoke. or T7, where you had Fijis, Atlantas, Flints and Belfasts working together to make attack their position impossible.

The only counter you had at T7 was an Indianapolis that knew what he was doing. Torps that outranged radar were entirely useless, because of hydro, while CVs could not even get near that div to spot them outside of smoke.

T8 death slug is even worse, since you would have had to bring in a T9 or T10 to get them to move.

[TBW]
Members
8,148 posts
14,888 battles

Does it work in reverse too? If I am in smoke and not firing will I spot ships at their respective distances from with in the smoke for torp aiming purposes and such with out them having to be spotted by the team?

[WOLF7]
Members
12,225 posts

So, what I'm seeing here is...Smokers will have to smoke much farther back to be effective for their team. Pushing everyone back to snipe positions. 

Unintended consequences should be WG's motto.....:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,828 posts
12,206 battles
47 minutes ago, awiggin said:

So, what I'm seeing here is...Smokers will have to smoke much farther back to be effective for their team. Pushing everyone back to snipe positions. 

Unintended consequences should be WG's motto.....:Smile_teethhappy:

The impact is very little for DD's and a little for cruisers. It is the BB's that are almost completely shut down from using smoke for cover while firing.

[FAE]
Members
2,368 posts
2,900 battles

Also, this makes team play more delineated: If a BB wants to use smoke to escape it can, but it can't fire.  

[CVA16]
Members
3,747 posts
12,110 battles

Noticed that Furrytaco and Aoba have different ranges for some reason even though they are the same ship size and gun-wise.

[PN]
Members
240 posts
16,076 battles

I just wonder what WG's obsession with 20 seconds is. 20 second gun bloom mechanic and 20 second reveal when firing from smoke. Seems a bit long to me in both cases.

Members
432 posts
8,180 battles
25 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

Also, this makes team play more delineated: If a BB wants to use smoke to escape it can, but it can't fire.  

It also means that a BB will still be spotted if within the 20s bloom window, and a ship is still in range, whether it fires or not? That sneaky spotting DD can negate any smoke advantage until the bloom subsides?

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
20,989 battles

I don't think I have ever fired from smoke in a Kaiser or a Konig Albert but really a 2KM detection difference? WGing and there funny math again.

Members
2,005 posts
10,646 battles

Hey 

Are we really sure this is how this is all going to work.  Since the supposed stealth firing was done away with some patches ago and we were told that your detection was the max range of your gun when fired BUT there is still plenty of invisible firing being done these days and I take fire all the time from ships that I can't see, if they can hit me, then I would think I should be able to see them.

Not sure how all of this smoke stuff is going to work out especially for ships who are designed to use smoke.  Thinking RN cruisers especially.  

Pete

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,422 posts

North Carolina: 15.1 km

So my North Carolina is now going to be detected at 15.1 km when firing in smoke. I can live with that as a BB sitting in smoke is just a sitting duck for multiple torpedo spreads anyway.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,828 posts
12,206 battles
51 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

This is actually really complicated.

Far more complicated than it should be.

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,876 battles

Did anyone notice this little gem in the chaos of this change?

If the ship sits in a smokescreen and fires a main gun shell, then the circle will expand up to the Detectability after firing the main guns in smoke value. If the ship is detected after firing a shell, the circle width will remain the same. Additionally, if the ship goes out of smokescreen before the detectability penalty ceases, the circle will expand up to the Detectability after firing the main guns value.

What this is saying is that, if you are sitting in smoke and fire your main guns, your detection range increases to that new value.  If you are detected, your detection range remains at that new value for 20 seconds.  As long as you are in smoke, your detection range is just the new value.

However, note the part I marked in bold.  If you fire your guns in smoke and leave the smoke cloud while the detection penalty applies, your detection will jump to the same value as if you had fired the guns outside of the smoke

Thus, if you fire your guns in smoke, get spotted, hit full throttle because it is stupid to sit in one place while spotted, fire off torpedoes on your way out of the smoke, even if the only person who could spot you dies to your torpedoes (or to fire or friendly gun fire) and even if no one is within your normal detection without firing range, you will still be spotted by anyone out to your max gun range even if you have not fired your guns since leaving the smoke.

It is asinine enough that this penalty lasts for the same amount of time (20 seconds) as it would if you were spotted while firing in the open.  It is even stupider that you could not be seen from a longer distance because you fired your guns in the smoke, but because you left the smoke, you are now spotted at your max gun range even though you did not fire while in open waters.

[BEARS]
Members
256 posts
8,806 battles

Could you arrange the list in a better way? perhaps alphabetically using the last letter of the ship name?

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,241 posts
On 10/17/2017 at 4:05 PM, BrushWolf said:

Far more complicated than it should be.

Still true.