You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Montana Gameplay - Turning tradegedy into triumph. Share your stories.

13 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,473 posts
4,763 battles

I got separated (my own fault) and hounded for  an entire round by four or five ships.  While they were chasing me, the rest of my team dominated.  

Last week to enter for a chance at a USS Enterprise Premium.

Also channel update stuff.  TwitchCon and let’s battle.  Hope you guys are doing well.  

Let’s hear your stories of turning tragedy into triumph.

[INTEL]
Members
8,581 posts
25,677 battles

That happens to me in Monty quite a bit. Big damage + victory. That ship can kite like nobody's business....

[POP]
Members
1,234 posts
8,261 battles

Yesterday, I was in a Shima. Considering we won, that's probably enough of a rags to riches story. 

But, the entire time I was basically alone, in the bottom left corner, spotting and keeping 3 BBs, 2 CAs, and a Benson pinned. They would head towards me and I'd fire torps, they would turn and run. By the time they turned around, my torps were reloaded. 

About 10 minutes into the game, we had no caps. I had pushed those ships all the way back into their original cap. Then I started capping. I capped 3 bases in the last 10 minutes and we won on points. 
My team was hating on me the whole time. 

• Cool 1

[BRZKR]
1,473 posts
4,763 battles

It’s funny, I tend to forget the Montana.  It was my first t10 and back then it was eclipsed by Yamato and then the GK.  It’s gotten so much love, and while people are both praising and slamming conqueror, I find the Monty to be a veritable jack of all trades well suited to any situation.  I need to play her much more in the future.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles
7 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

It’s funny, I tend to forget the Montana.  It was my first t10 and back then it was eclipsed by Yamato and then the GK.  It’s gotten so much love, and while people are both praising and slamming conqueror, I find the Monty to be a veritable jack of all trades well suited to any situation.  I need to play her much more in the future.

Especially since her citadel got lowered. She got a lot tankier. Still probably the best cruiser killer. I see one in my Hindenburg I go:

giphy.gif

• Cool 1

[PLPTE]
Members
493 posts
6,886 battles

From my experience, when there's a "name" on the red team, there's always a bunch of allies that will tunnel vision on that "name" and chase them for the kill, to the detriment of the objectives and any other easier targets.

• Cool 1

[BRZKR]
1,473 posts
4,763 battles
50 minutes ago, Kerrec said:

From my experience, when there's a "name" on the red team, there's always a bunch of allies that will tunnel vision on that "name" and chase them for the kill, to the detriment of the objectives and any other easier targets.

Yeah...  don’t know if it’s that or just that I happened to be the idiot that went the wrong way.  Probably the later :p

[PLPTE]
Members
493 posts
6,886 battles
Just now, NoZoupForYou said:

Yeah...  don’t know if it’s that or just that I happened to be the idiot that went the wrong way.  Probably the later :p

Or both.

Maybe subconsciously you exposed yourself with the intent to drag half the red team to a corner and effectively take them out of the match.

[SF-3]
Members
1,521 posts
8,114 battles

Lots of fond memories of the Monty. Its my first and only T10 ship. I really disliked the US BB line until NC, loved that, was meh on the Iowa, but love the Monty after the citadel lowering. I am not unicum in her, and some times I potato, but kiting is her forte. You can reliably pull 2-5 ships away and survive quite a while. I really love getting on a flank with her, get a DD and a CL in support and you can really wreak havoc.

As far as best games, I had a >200k dmg, which is a lot for me, maybe kraken as well, recently, wish I had replays enabled, or taking a screen shot, I was so proud.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,244 posts

I love mine, but haven't been playing it.   I'm sick of being only 1 of 2 humans, and ending up alone vs 5+ reds.   It's often do-able, but sheesh.

High tier games in pvp have been just plain awful- I refuse to subject myself to that meta.

Thus it sits in port- only getting admired and drooled over,lol.

Pretty much every pve game I've played in it- and survived- qualifies for the title.  Me vs at least half the enemy team- either kiting and wearing them down one by one, or I went to the no-bots side, and am playing the cap and crush each bot as it comes after me game.

I did have one really good game in it in random.  I pushed the right side with an Alabama, a DD and a cruiser.  The reds mostly went the other way, with just 4 attempting to take this cap.  A Nor-Cal, a New Orleans, a Minotaur, and a DD of some sort. (never did get a look at him)   The red CV also mostly ignored us and trolled our teammates instead. (who could blame him with that combo of airplane destruction,lol)   This was on, I think Haven map- one of my favorites when playing a USN CA.  Anyhow- the enemy Yamato was busy bullying my teammates, and giving me his open broadside to shoot at while heading to where I was going, so I hammered him for a bunch of damage until islands got in the way.

At this point, we were down by 2 or 3 ships, and it was starting to look bad.

Our DD and cruiser decided to push North along the outside of the ring of islands- to get at the NC and the DD from that side.  "Bama and I pushed strait into the cap- with our Conqueror joining us from the other group.   The reds said "SCREW this!!!" and got the hell out of the cap!   Minotaur had gotten himself behind an island ahead of our flankers, and launched a spread of torps at me- then got spotted.   I dodged all but one, which didn't do much damage.   He then made a very foolish move:  He reversed out from behind cover- maybe 8 km away from me- and stopped full broadside!  THEN he hit smoke.  Needless to say, I not only was looking at him while he did this- I was quite motivated to shoot him.   I hit fire just as the smoke made him disappear.  

BOOOOM!!!! Devastating Strike!  I must have hit with all 12 shells, because I got several citadels, and who knows how many normal pens.

After that, we went after the New Orleans, who was running for his life.   Sorry, pal- this ain't your lucky day.  He melted quickly under our barrage of 16" shells.   Next up, North Carolina!   He was busy trying to defend himself from the CA and DD hounding him from his other flank, and never even looked our way.   We came out from between two islands and there he was- all nice and broadside for us!   I almost felt bad about what we did to him.

Almost.

It was about then, that I looked at the ship rosters and at chat, and noticed that we were now well ahead, with several guys commenting on how we'd pulled that one out of our backsides.  They were down to their CV, and a couple of ships way down South fighting with the rest of our team.   Bama and I then squashed the CV, and went and took the North cap.

I ended up with nearly 200k damage, 3 kills, and an ungodly amount of experience.   Not a solo carry- this was a good, solid team win.  Having an aggressive Alabama (and Conqueror!) who pushed with me, and some flankers spotting and distracting the enemies from a second direction was awesome, too.  I honestly don't blame the reds for taking one look at us and saying "OH SHIP!!"  That's a lot of firepower charging your way,lol.   Wish I could find more teams like that.

It was my first ever game in Montana.

I saved a screenshot, but I uninstalled and re-installed the game after the last patch,(because it broke my game)  and I think it's gone with all the rest.