You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
vikingno2

When to use AP ammo with your DD

16 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
5,310 posts
9,141 battles

At under 10km, most DD AP can be very effective at penetrating light cruiser hulls and superstructures of heavy cruisers and battleships at broadside.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,342 posts
14,891 battles

I usually will switch to it on a BB after a fire or two is lit and the range is low.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,370 posts
12,212 battles

You will get multiple cits using AP against any CL broadside to your DD at short range. Its quite fun to watch them melt away!

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,731 posts
4,763 battles

Close(ish) range, broadside cruiser, AP it.  BB already burning bow to stern? Throw some AP at it. 

[SF-A]
Members
2,902 posts
5,725 battles

For Germans, literally anything that's broadside.

For anything else, cruisers and BBs that are under 10 km and broadside.

CVs once a fire has stuck and is broadside.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles

Yes, when broadside, but its pretty much a gamble, since DDS angle a lot.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,809 posts
15,355 battles
1 hour ago, Gandariel said:

do you use AP on DD shooting enemy DD?

Yes, against Russian high tier DD's.

Members
603 posts
7,119 battles

I've citadeled a molotov 4 times in a row using Harekaze's 100mm AP at 8km

and i hit Yamato boardside for 2200+ damage per salvo at 6km using the same gun. easy 15000+damage in 25 sec.

so yes, use AP on boardside, especially when your guns have fast reload. swithing from HE to AP shouldn't take that long for most DD. 

Members
1,551 posts
8,290 battles

Hey

I struggle with the whole DD AP/HE things myself in the German DD line.  I had not long ago a broadside RN cruiser while in my Gaede with 128mm guns and decided to switch from HE to AP when he went broadside, big mistake, almost no damage to him and I got deleted from HE.  I thought to myself:  Hey, he's going broadside, AP always does more damage, nope!  Should have just kept the HE up, since he was about 2km from me at the time.  Unfortunately I had already sent torps which missed and was on cool down, so those were out.  Just another crappy engagement for me trying to hold a cap.  I much prefer being a lone hunter, stalking enemy ships and trying to ambush them in my DD, than trying to hold caps.

Pete

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

My experience seems to be different than everyone else posting a reply. In my experience with USN DDs, you never use AP unless shooting at another DD that's 2 tiers higher than you. Otherwise, always use HE and you'll do more damage. As for using AP against CAs and BBs?? Unless you are all using magic AP, USN DDs simply don't get citadels against CAs and BBs (granted it has been a while since I played under tier 8 so maybe you're talking about low tiers??)... not sure what you have all been smoking, but perhaps you should smoke it a little less - at higher tiers USN DD AP is useless.

Again, my experience has only been in the US line of DDs, so not sure about that other nations.

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

Members
603 posts
7,119 battles
3 hours ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

My experience seems to be different than everyone else posting a reply. In my experience with USN DDs, you never use AP unless shooting at another DD that's 2 tiers higher than you. Otherwise, always use HE and you'll do more damage. As for using AP against CAs and BBs?? Unless you are all using magic AP, USN DDs simply don't get citadels against CAs and BBs (granted it has been a while since I played under tier 8 so maybe you're talking about low tiers??)... not sure what you have all been smoking, but perhaps you should smoke it a little less - at higher tiers USN DD AP is useless.

Again, my experience has only been in the US line of DDs, so not sure about that other nations.

indeed, tier is also a factor. high tier CA is much much harder to land a citadel so you might just aim at the upper belt / super structure.

US DD AP is funny cos their arc. they are a bit more likely to hit the deck rather than the belt and thus non-penatration.

that mean you have to be even closer to use AP. but at high tier, you are most likely sunk than doing AP damage.

usually at high tier, I'll try 2-3 salvo with AP to boardside target, if it doesn't work, don't think twice, swich back to HE.

[PVE]
Members
5,698 posts
18,273 battles

I am a potato player by all metrics. Got sunk about halfway thru the match and decided to watch the match (it was fairly close). We had a  full health DD running from Tirpitz or Scharnhorst and was just spamming AP at the battleship. The BB was firing HE back and hitting every once in a while, the DD was hitting quite a bit but the health bar wasn't moving on the BB. This went on until nearly the end of the match when finally the BB wore our destroyer down and killed it. The German BB's health bar was nearly where it was when I first started watching the fight. I really wonder how many shatters and bounces that little DD ended up with. I am happy this DD player is in the game, least I know I am not the worst player in the community..

• Cool 1

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,416 battles
22 hours ago, Gandariel said:

I add Q: do you use AP on DD shooting enemy DD? If yes when.

Akizuki/Harekaze 100mm AP against just about everything except DDs <T8, lol.    T8+DDs, Cruisers, BB supers, all ap all the time for the 100mm shells.  Works so well that I don't even bother to run IFHE. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,316 posts
9,901 battles

Actually used this discussion last night. Wounded Flint on the other side of an island was cautiously stalking me in a Fujin. Both of us were intermittently spotted by aircraft. He kept trying to bait out my torps. Anticipated contact range was short but I would still be dead by the time my torps got there. Loaded AP instead of HE, popped out from behind the island (instead of waiting for him) and killed him in one salvo before he could kill me. (He was really wounded and did more damage to me than I did to him). Always tended to use HE most of the time for the fires (gift that keeps on giving). Don't think HE would have killed him fast enough. Never even tried to launch torps.

Edited by Sabot_100