You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
jconlin

Need help finding the bottleneck in my system

36 comments in this topic

[DMNT]
Members
7 posts
747 battles

If this is in the wrong section please move it. This is my first time posting on this forum, I have been playing the game for a while now +\- 500 battles. I just recently picked up a used gaming pc as an upgrade from playing on my MacBook. I downloaded the game and tried it out and the game was completely unplayable. Very low frame rate and studdering. It’s a Dell Optiplex 990 here’s the specs

- core i5 2500 3.3ghz 

- 10gb ddr3 

- 500gb hdd 

- nvidia geforce 8400 gs 512mb

-Windows 10 

now I know the gpu is trash, I plan on upgrading as soon as funds allow, but I’ve read that wows is cpu intensive and about any card will run it, the cpu stayed at about 50% most of the time. That may be completely wrong however, the question is; is the gpu the problem or could the problem lie somewhere else? I’m not all that tech savvy but I do enjoy the game so the answer may be plain as day here but I am at a loss. 

[PSP]
Members
6,317 posts
8,942 battles

If you are planning to upgrade a Dell, note that a video card upgrade will entail a power supply upgrade too. Dell builds to a price point rather than a quality point and thus installs a PSU just adequate to power the system as shipped. Your system comes with a maximum 265 Watt power supply. Even a mid-level gaming video card is going to require twice that power.

This document lists compatible processors. http://clascsg.uconn.edu/download/specs/O990.pdf

However, you have a system that's not worth very much and you need to ask yourself just how much money you wish to spend upgrading it. First, check the recommended requirements for WOWS, does your computer meet them?

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/game/system-requirements/

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Members
3,725 posts
15,059 battles

Looks like you have your answer. Keep in mind your PSU specs when choosing a new video card.

Members
3,725 posts
15,059 battles
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

If you are planning to upgrade a dell note that a video card upgrade will entail a power supply upgrade too. Dell builds to a price point rather than a quality point and thus installs a PSU just adequate to power the system as shipped. Your system comes with a maximum 265 Watt power supply. Even a mid-level gaming video card is going to require twice that power.

I have an old DELL desktop and upgrading the PSU is like punching yourself in the brain. Some proprietary non-standard pos with weird dimensions, don't even get me started on the mobo.  

[DMNT]
Members
7 posts
747 battles

Yes, I knew that the gpu was below the spec, but I thought that it might run on the lowest settings, I gave $150 for the whole setup which included a 24in hd monitor and nicer keyboard and mouse (which I needed anyway).i don’t feel like I got screwed. Upgrading the psu isn’t a big deal I’ll just add that to the cost of a gpu upgrade. I guess I was hoping for something from nothing, just wanted some second opinions. Never dealt with these problems before. Can anyone recommend a good gpu around $100-$120 that will run the wargamming titles? 

[PSP]
Members
6,317 posts
8,942 battles
6 minutes ago, m373x said:

I have an old DELL desktop and upgrading the PSU is like punching yourself in the brain. Some proprietary non-standard pos with weird dimensions, don't even get me started on the mobo.  

Correct. Although the newer models are sometimes standard, Dell has used proprietary pin-outs in the past and has never officially published them either. I was a hardware tech on a tech support forum for a few years and sometimes would have to work with people for weeks trying to get their power correctly routed when they were trying to upgrade Dells. Oftentimes it was much simpler to just put together a new system and have them build it, or recommend an inexpensive commercial model with decent specs.

Edited by Snargfargle

[PSP]
Members
6,317 posts
8,942 battles
7 minutes ago, jconlin said:

Can anyone recommend a good gpu around $100-$120 that will run the wargamming titles? 

You are really not going to be able to install a significantly better video card without risking your computer crashing when it is powered up without a PSU upgrade. A PSU and halfway-decent video card combo will run you at least $250 and your system isn't worth that much. Not to mention that you may find the power supply cables may have to to be modified in order to adapt them to the Dell system (I would have to get into the technical manuals for your exact system to see exactly what is needed, if anything). I think that you are better off just using your computer as is and saving up for a better system sometime in the future.

Edited by Snargfargle

[DMNT]
Members
7 posts
747 battles
3 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

You are really not going to be able to install a significantly better video card without risking your computer crashing when it is powered up without a PSU upgrade. A PSU and halfway-decent video card combo will run you at least $250 and your system isn't worth that much. Not to mention that you may find the power supply cables may have to to be modified in order to adapt them to the Dell system (I would have to get into the technical manuals for your exact system to see exactly what is needed, if anything). I think that you are better off just using your computer as is and saving up for a better system sometime in the future.

I have no problem upgrading the power supply along with the gpu. If it’s nonstandard that’s okay I will make the thing fit, I work as a metal fabricaticator. I like this computer and really only want it to run wows. I don’t play anything else really and just use it for office work.

[77ARC]
Beta Testers
190 posts

While you are at it I'd suggest cloning the old mechanical hdd to a  500gb SSD.  That alone will make it act like a different machine.

[DMNT]
Members
7 posts
747 battles
1 minute ago, Dadrox said:

While you are at it I'd suggest cloning the old mechanical hdd to a  500gb SSD.  That alone will make it act like a different machine.

That’s in the plans too, however i might do a smaller ssd and just have the OS on it and keep the HDD for extra storage 

[PSP]
Members
6,317 posts
8,942 battles

Which version of the 990 do you have? The mini-tower would be the easiest to upgrade. It may be very difficult to upgrade the small form factor model.

[DMNT]
Members
7 posts
747 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Which version of the 990 do you have? The mini-tower would be the easiest to upgrade. It may be very difficult to upgrade the small form factor model.

It’s the mini tower 

[PSP]
Members
6,317 posts
8,942 battles
9 minutes ago, jconlin said:

It’s the mini tower 

From what I can glean from the Dell forums, the PSU is standard ATX form factor. I'd recommend something like this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095  

After rebate that is a good deal on a quality PSU. Seasonic is currently the best PSU manufacturer and most of the better PSU brands use them to manufacture their products.

As for a video card, I have a Radeon 6850 and it runs the game quite well. Therefore, anything at its level or higher should work well for you. Check out this chart.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Edited by Snargfargle

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,981 posts
9,935 battles
1 hour ago, jconlin said:

Yes, I knew that the gpu was below the spec, but I thought that it might run on the lowest settings, I gave $150 for the whole setup which included a 24in hd monitor and nicer keyboard and mouse (which I needed anyway).i don’t feel like I got screwed. Upgrading the psu isn’t a big deal I’ll just add that to the cost of a gpu upgrade. I guess I was hoping for something from nothing, just wanted some second opinions. Never dealt with these problems before. Can anyone recommend a good gpu around $100-$120 that will run the wargamming titles? 

Not sure how much they are selling for nowadays but I upgraded my GPU (my system is shown in my sig) 3 years ago to a NVidia 660 and it runs WoWs really well (avg. of 65 fps) . Does pretty good for WoT  to just not quite as good which is why I am going to upgrade to a 960 asap .

:Smile_honoring:

[DMNT]
Members
7 posts
747 battles
18 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

From what I can glean from the Dell forums, the PSU is standard ATX form factor. I'd recommend something like this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095  

After rebate that is a good deal on a quality PSU. Seasonic is currently the best PSU manufacturer and most of the better PSU brands use them to manufacture their products.

As for a video card, I have a Radeon 6850 and it runs the game quite well. Therefore, anything at its level or higher should work well for you. Check out this chart.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

There is a guy in my area selling a Corsair gs600 psu and a gtx560 together for $70. Do you think that would run it?

[PSP]
Members
6,317 posts
8,942 battles
2 minutes ago, jconlin said:

There is a guy in my area selling a Corsair gs600 psu and a gtx560 together for $70. Do you think that would run it?

That PSU will power that video card just fine. Note that the video card probably will require one or two dedicated power connectors. Make sure to plug them in.

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,941 battles
2 hours ago, jconlin said:

If this is in the wrong section please move it. This is my first time posting on this forum, I have been playing the game for a while now +\- 500 battles. I just recently picked up a used gaming pc as an upgrade from playing on my MacBook. I downloaded the game and tried it out and the game was completely unplayable. Very low frame rate and studdering. It’s a Dell Optiplex 990 here’s the specs

- core i5 2500 3.3ghz 

- 10gb ddr3 

- 500gb hdd 

-Windows 10 

now I know the gpu is trash, I plan on upgrading as soon as funds allow, but I’ve read that wows is cpu intensive and about any card will run it, the cpu stayed at about 50% most of the time. That may be completely wrong however, the question is; is the gpu the problem or could the problem lie somewhere else? I’m not all that tech savvy but I do enjoy the game so the answer may be plain as day here but I am at a loss. 

Swap out the HDD for a SSD. The difference will amaze you. The computer will boot 75% faster and the games load faster. Get at least a 250GB SSD, maybe a 512GB.

Unfortunately I don't think the Dell 990 will support a 2 slot GPU and/or the power to push one; the best I had in my Dell OptiPlex 755 was a GTX-730.

Remember FSB (front bus speed) increases with each new generation and controls the communication speed along the motherboard. You have a 2nd Gen i5 and we just got to Gen 8, that's a 6 generation gap.

If you are unsure of anything, go to Dell.com/support, enter your Service Tag number and look up the "current configuration" of your system (will D/L a small app to read the system). go from there. 

[1RD]
[1RD]
Members
133 posts
9,859 battles

Be sure to adjust Win10 as well. Go into Privacy Settings and turn off everything. MS has set Win10 to use data from your PC. Turn it all to OFF. I agreed with the other fellas about the Dell Hardware, I've supported Dell equipment for the past 18+ years. If you can find an SSD for your boot drive. Good Luck and See you in Game!

Beta Testers
3,585 posts
4,261 battles

If you upgrade to a gpu that only uses the pcie slot for power, you most likely wont need to upgrade the PSU.

An AMD RX 550 for $80. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-amd-radeon-rx-550-4gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5869600.p?skuId=5869600

Will do just fine here. The cpu is still rather underpowered, but it should do the job. 

Edited by aether_tech

[PSP]
Members
6,317 posts
8,942 battles
3 hours ago, aether_tech said:

If you upgrade to a gpu that only uses the pcie slot for power, you most likely wont need to upgrade the PSU.

Remember that the OP's system only has a 265 W PSU. AMD recommends a minimum of a 400 W PSU for the RX 550.

[DMNT]
Members
7 posts
747 battles

I bucked up and picked up an MSI Radeon R7 370 today along with a 600 watt EVGA psu, I put it in and the game runs flawless and looks amazing. 70+ FPS and no studdering. I’m still only into this rig $320. I will upgrade to an ssd after a few paychecks. Thanks for the advice.

[PSP]
Members
6,317 posts
8,942 battles
10 minutes ago, jconlin said:

I bucked up and picked up an MSI Radeon R7 370 today along with a 600 watt EVGA psu, I put it in and the game runs flawless and looks amazing. 70+ FPS and no studdering. I’m still only into this rig $320. I will upgrade to an ssd after a few paychecks. Thanks for the advice.

Glad to hear that everything is running well and that you are pleased with the results.

Edited by Snargfargle

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,201 posts
4,280 battles
19 hours ago, jconlin said:

- core i5 2500 3.3ghz 

- 10gb ddr3 

- 500gb hdd 

-Windows 10 

Memory would be a good update as well, 16GB is Standard now.  A 1TB SSD or a smaller SSD just for games would improve load times tremendously.   A videocard is a good idea too.  

Or just replace it.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/BAREBONES-CUSTOM-DESKTOP-MM7-79-482-AMD-A10-7890K-4-1GHz-MSI-FM2-A55M-E33-/391903139360?hash=item5b3f3f5620:g:puQAAOSwq9NZ23Cz

add your memory, HDD, and videocard and have a nice new computer.  (Might need a PSU Too)