You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sovereigndawg

The Needs Of The One Outweigh The Needs Of The Many

12 comments in this topic

[TBW]
Members
6,406 posts
12,050 battles

Gonna Have to apologize to one of my teams today and possibly some in the future. You see, I quit my job to take full time care of my then 96 year old Granny. Well she is 98 and will be 99 in December. She has Dementia and in the last week started having heavy hallucinations. I haven't been able to play much during the day lately. I play after she goes to bed. I have a baby monitor on her and she woke up and thought she was a Young girl in the barn (her bedroom) miking cows that were not present and speaking to people who aren't there. So I had to leave the game. I am loyal to my teams and really hate it when players are AFK. This however, has brought me to a new line of thinking. I won't be to quick to judge AFK players, there may be any number of reasons why they went AFK. Most of them are probably way more important than this game. If this ever happens again, I apologize in advance. The Needs Of The Granny will always outweigh the needs of of the many. So If you see some one AFK just remember that there might be a really good reason that they left, and fight harder in the knowledge that they had to do something important and win it for the Granny.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 14

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

Shipmate

First off Thank you for all you do for your Granny, as far as your teams I am sure they will understand.

If not this old Hole Snipe will fire off a verbal broadside they will not forget. 

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,004 posts
13,702 battles

Real life always comes first, and good on you for looking out for your family.

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Dementia is very tough for those around the one having it... so it says a good deal about your priorities in life that you are putting granny first. Your explanation may also help others understand the AFKs we sometimes see. Thanks for the post. All the best with granny! 

• Cool 2

[VOP]
Members
335 posts
6,799 battles

Being a full time caregiver is a very hard thing to do for someone and I salute you for your devotion to your granny. I have walked your shoes and it is very hard especially for someone who needs fulltime care. This is a game and there is nothing wrong with your priorities. Give your self a pat on the back and keep on doing what you are doing! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

Members
2,501 posts
5,487 battles

Apologies accepted and many thanks from the board and myself to take care of your loved one. Not a easy task under the circumstances. As always best to you and Granny. 

• Cool 1

[NGA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,272 posts
3,457 battles

It is a hard job that we do... Thankless as well...

Thank you for being a caregiver... Also PM sent....

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,021 posts
8,259 battles

Be aware--if watch a replay of battles you have to leave for this reason--that selfish jerks may say you're a damned fool to take care of your granny, she should just be put down, who wants to spend every day taking care of a delusional old person, and other rude comments.

Do us a favor and report them to WG for any such comments. In this time when euthanasia is popular in some circles for avoiding taking care of elderly people, it's refreshing to see familial love hasn't gone extinct.

• Cool 2

[NGA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,272 posts
3,457 battles
14 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Be aware--if watch a replay of battles you have to leave for this reason--that selfish jerks may say you're a damned fool to take care of your granny, she should just be put down, who wants to spend every day taking care of a delusional old person, and other rude comments.

Do us a favor and report them to WG for any such comments. In this time when euthanasia is popular in some circles for avoiding taking care of elderly people, it's refreshing to see familial love hasn't gone extinct.

Thankfully wargaming knows there are instances where leaving a battle must happen. As an In Home Caregiver myself I have to get up alot, sometimes in a battle. As long as you dont do it all the time day in and day out there wont be an issue.

Please -do- report anyone making off-hand remarks like the above quote mentions. That kind of salt is never needed for an already stressful job.

[PVE]
Members
9,766 posts
7,472 battles
5 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Gonna Have to apologize to one of my teams today and possibly some in the future. You see, I quit my job to take full time care of my then 96 year old Granny. Well she is 98 and will be 99 in December. She has Dementia and in the last week started having heavy hallucinations. I haven't been able to play much during the day lately. I play after she goes to bed. I have a baby monitor on her and she woke up and thought she was a Young girl in the barn (her bedroom) miking cows that were not present and speaking to people who aren't there. So I had to leave the game. I am loyal to my teams and really hate it when players are AFK. This however, has brought me to a new line of thinking. I won't be to quick to judge AFK players, there may be any number of reasons why they went AFK. Most of them are probably way more important than this game. If this ever happens again, I apologize in advance. The Needs Of The Granny will always outweigh the needs of of the many. So If you see some one AFK just remember that there might be a really good reason that they left, and fight harder in the knowledge that they had to do something important and win it for the Granny.

:Smile_honoring:

6 minutes ago, JollyRoger6969 said:

Thankfully wargaming knows there are instances where leaving a battle must happen. As an In Home Caregiver myself I have to get up alot, sometimes in a battle. As long as you dont do it all the time day in and day out there wont be an issue.

Please -do- report anyone making off-hand remarks like the above quote mentions. That kind of salt is never needed for an already stressful job.

:Smile_great:

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,406 posts
3,583 battles

Good on you for making the right decision.. I can say that a lot of people would not.