Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GiN_nTonic

Squalls right now are broken for me

28 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
731 posts
5,907 battles

I made a post about this recently, but there is something seriously wrong with the game mechanics in that squalls for me are like 30-40% of the games.  Its cute at like 10% or less but when 1/3+ of your games have squalls its annoying.

[PSP]
Members
6,348 posts
8,971 battles
33 minutes ago, GiN_nTonic said:

when 1/3+ of your games have squalls its annoying.

Have you ever been out on the ocean? It storms off the coast of Oregon most of the winter. In fact, the Columbia Bar is known as the graveyard of the Pacific. 

[RKN]
Members
1,425 posts
12,238 battles
11 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Have you ever been out on the ocean? It storms off the coast of Oregon most of the winter. In fact, the Columbia Bar is known as the graveyard of the Pacific. 

What relevance does this have to an arcade game?

I don't get then that often OP. When I do, its usually a ship that it suits. I feel you. 

[PSP]
Members
6,348 posts
8,971 battles
21 minutes ago, SalvoSanta said:

What relevance does this have to an arcade game?

While squalls might annoy you, they add to the realism of this historically-based game.

[TBW]
Members
6,418 posts
12,065 battles
43 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Any big battles fought there in the winter? Most of the Battles fought in WW2 in the Pacific were Tropical. Not being a smart azz Snarg, just saying. Over a 1/3 of the Battles with Cyclones is a sad thing.

[PSP]
Members
6,348 posts
8,971 battles
37 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Most of the Battles fought in WW2 in the Pacific were Tropical.

Ever hear of the North Atlantic? Not all of the naval conflict in WWII occurred in the South Pacific during the summer. Also, remember that the Northern Hemisphere's summer is the Southern Hemisphere's winter and vice versa.

[PSP]
Members
6,348 posts
8,971 battles
1 minute ago, Drakenred said:

Frankly what we have is rain, conditions in actual storms are far worse than what's depicted in game.

Correct, cyclones and other storms sank several large naval vessels in WWII. Typhoon Cobra damaged so many ships that Chester Nimitz said that it was as crippling of a blow to the Third Fleet as any major battle action would have been.

[TBW]
Members
6,418 posts
12,065 battles
3 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Ever hear of the North Atlantic? Not all of the naval conflict in WWII occurred in the South Pacific during the summer. Also, remember that the Northern Hemisphere's summer is the Southern Hemisphere's winter and vice versa.

Well I did say Pacific and yes I know that there were battles in the north Atlantic. Another thing that I know is that in 1981 The Foul weather gear that they issued us on the ship was not very warm at all. My Ship was stationed in San Diego so the foul weather gear was all stored in the Boatswains Locker. It was used and smelled like the 10 previous users and grease and oil. That was 1981. Can you imagine Sailing in the North Atlantic with 1940's foul weather gear? If they had any that is, and if they didn't, then they fought in their Navy P-coats. If you ever stood outside the chow line in Great Lakes (boot camp) in a P-coat at -10 degrees you know how warm they really aren't. They must have froze their assets off. All very Brave men.

As for me, I was a Boatswains Mate and was friends with the Petty Officer in charge of the Boatswains Locker and they had boxes of new foul Weather gear, that was supposed to be for the Officers. It's nice when your buddies are in the right places, let me tell you.

[PSP]
Members
6,348 posts
8,971 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The Foul weather gear that they issued us on the ship was not very warm at all.

My Uncle and Cousin were in the Army Air Force in WWII, in the European Theater. My uncle was a pilot and my cousin a crew chief. I can't imagine how cold those B-17s and C-47s got during the winter. I was stationed in Germany one Fall for maneuvers and I thought I was going to freeze to death. It wasn't regulation but I wore a down jacket under my field jacket. 

Members
566 posts
1,895 battles
16 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Well I did say Pacific and yes I know that there were battles in the north Atlantic. Another thing that I know is that in 1981 The Foul weather gear that they issued us on the ship was not very warm at all. My Ship was stationed in San Diego so the foul weather gear was all stored in the Boatswains Locker. It was used and smelled like the 10 previous users and grease and oil. That was 1981. Can you imagine Sailing in the North Atlantic with 1940's foul weather gear? If they had any that is, and if they didn't, then they fought in their Navy P-coats. If you ever stood outside the chow line in Great Lakes (boot camp) in a P-coat at -10 degrees you know how warm they really aren't. They must have froze their assets off. All very Brave men.

As for me, I was a Boatswains Mate and was friends with the Petty Officer in charge of the Boatswains Locker and they had boxes of new foul Weather gear, that was supposed to be for the Officers. It's nice when your buddies are in the right places, let me tell you.

Never been on ship (accept museum ships) can not imaging rough seas storms and cold not to mention the heat in tropics. That is one reason I respect all military persons. The incredible hardships and their perseverance. Things us civilians will never know or understand. See videos of Destroyers in large seas. I would just jump over side before enduring that. 

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
45 minutes ago, Maggie_Saito said:

Never been on ship (accept museum ships) can not imaging rough seas storms and cold not to mention the heat in tropics. That is one reason I respect all military persons. The incredible hardships and their perseverance. Things us civilians will never know or understand. See videos of Destroyers in large seas. I would just jump over side before enduring that. 

Sorry Maggie, but there are other ships on the water as well that aren't navy :P

[RKN]
Members
1,425 posts
12,238 battles

I was in the navy for a while, and the roughest sea I ever had was between Vancouver and Hawaii. We rocked so much, I could stand on the bulkhead for two seconds.

Members
566 posts
1,895 battles
11 minutes ago, joris92 said:

Sorry Maggie, but there are other ships on the water as well that aren't navy :P

I am aware of this Mr. Joris and meant no disrespect to the sailors everywhere. Military does it to protect us merchant sailors to feed us. both very courageous men (and women) I bow to anyone willing to risk all on the sea. I even hate flying so no ship for me. prefer train. in RU they have nice trains not as crowded as Japan. 

Members
566 posts
1,895 battles
13 minutes ago, SalvoSanta said:

I was in the navy for a while, and the roughest sea I ever had was between Vancouver and Hawaii. We rocked so much, I could stand on the bulkhead for two seconds.

Mr. Santa, never been to Hawaii and Vancouver is beautiful. But Pacific ocean there is anything but passive. Saw Submarine leave inlet in Washington, beautiful place and site. Wish eyes better to take pictures but if had camera would have to have prescription lense. lol.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
8 minutes ago, Maggie_Saito said:

I am aware of this Mr. Joris and meant no disrespect to the sailors everywhere. Military does it to protect us merchant sailors to feed us. both very courageous men (and women) I bow to anyone willing to risk all on the sea. I even hate flying so no ship for me. prefer train. in RU they have nice trains not as crowded as Japan. 

I know, Maggie. 

Haha the only thing I enjoy about flying is the take off. Hearing and feeling those gasturbines unleashing their power :)

Edited by joris92

[PSP]
Members
6,348 posts
8,971 battles
15 minutes ago, Maggie_Saito said:

But Pacific ocean there is anything but passive. 

Yes, it must have been an unusually calm day when that ocean was named.

[TBW]
Members
6,418 posts
12,065 battles
1 hour ago, Maggie_Saito said:

My Ship was an LSD or Landing Ship Dock. The rear of the ship was flat and opened like a ramp. The ship would sink down and fill the well deck with water and boats could come into her. She would then pump out the water and close the Stern Gate and transport marines and equipment and deploy it to beaches anywhere. She had 128 bilge tanks to facilitate this and since she operated in shallow water we were a flat bottomed ship. The most afraid that I ever was in my Navy career was when on West Pac our Captain opted to take us through the center of a Typhoon with a flat bottomed boat (did I mention at the time I was stationed on her, she was the oldest ship in service in the Navy?) She was creaking and moaning and the walls in the Bilges were falling down with great crashes and thuds. I thought for sure we were going to break apart and sink to the bottom at any moment. We made it through (Thank Neptune) and put in to port in Sasebo Japan for an extended stay while the Dock workers repaired our ship. I made a good friend at the Snoopy Bar. Her name was Momoko Ohara. I learned later that Momo means flower and Ko means child so, flower child. We wrote each other for several years but unfortunately eventually lost contact.

[INTEL]
Members
8,599 posts
25,764 battles

Me too. I used to like them. Now I am tired of their stultifying dull sameness. They are always the same: same duration, same visibility limits, same ultimate visibility limit of 8 kms. Is a 12 km cyclone impossible? Shouldn't the visibility effects be random?

[PSP]
Members
6,348 posts
8,971 battles
41 minutes ago, SalvoSanta said:

The sickest I've ever been was when I was fishing in the Gulf of Mexico in 10 foot swells. There's no way I could ever have been a seaman aboard a ship. I kind of wanted to join the Marines but they don't have medics and I was told I'd only have a 50:50 chance of getting assigned to a marine unit if I was to go in as a Corpsman. I thought about another MOS but as Marines oftentimes go aboard ships too, and I really didn't want to be on a ship, I chose the Army.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
566 posts
1,895 battles
4 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

My Ship was an LSD or Landing Ship Dock. The rear of the ship was flat and opened like a ramp. The ship would sink down and fill the well deck with water and boats could come into her. She would then pump out the water and close the Stern Gate and transport marines and equipment and deploy it to beaches anywhere. She had 128 bilge tanks to facilitate this and since she operated in shallow water we were a flat bottomed ship. The most afraid that I ever was in my Navy career was when on West Pac our Captain opted to take us through the center of a Typhoon with a flat bottomed boat (did I mention at the time I was stationed on her, she was the oldest ship in service in the Navy?) She was creaking and moaning and the walls in the Bilges were falling down with great crashes and thuds. I thought for sure we were going to break apart and sink to the bottom at any moment. We made it through (Thank Neptune) and put in to port in Sasebo Japan for an extended stay while the Dock workers repaired our ship. I made a good friend at the Snoopy Bar. Her name was Momoko Ohara. I learned later that Momo means flower and Ko means child so, flower child. We wrote each other for several years but unfortunately eventually lost contact.

Sasebo is beautiful city. Enjoy the Tenkaio. I know not of Snoopy? bar. but happy for you to meet a friend in Japan.  I have no friends in the United States so probably will not miss it as much. Can not imagine your voyage. I would have jumped over side that is so awful quick death is my chosen way to die. Though no luck so far.  you have amzing life with great achievement.  I am proud for you. and amazed. 

Tenkaiho

Members
566 posts
1,895 battles
10 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Me too. I used to like them. Now I am tired of their stultifying dull sameness. They are always the same: same duration, same visibility limits, same ultimate visibility limit of 8 kms. Is a 12 km cyclone impossible? Shouldn't the visibility effects be random?

Played four games today three with storms. Helps in Destroyer though. 

Members
566 posts
1,895 battles
10 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The sickest I've ever been was when I was fishing in the Gulf of Mexico in 10 foot swells. There's no way I could ever have been a seaman aboard a ship. I kind of wanted to join the Marines but they don't have medics and I was told I'd only have a 50:50 chance of getting assigned to a marine unit if I was to go in as a Corpsman. I thought about another MOS but as Marines oftentimes go aboard ships too, and I really didn't want to be on a ship, I chose the Army.

Mr. Snargfargle (enjoy your name). We have something of agreement. While I enjoy seeing ships I have no desire to be on one. Not even Car ferry. Army is often in Yokosuka so have seen Army personnel walking around. Saw Russian Sailors a few years ago off Undoloy believe. No ship expert though with my eyesight could have been fishing boat. Medical profession is very honorable call. (stay away from Phycoligest) much respect for healers. 

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I was surprised to hear from career merchant Marine , the Gulf is a rough body of water, one of the rougher ones there is. I never knew that(being from Biloxi and out there a few times).,until I ended up on ship in the Pacific and to hear them talk during some of the typhoons out there. When I was younger I thought the Gulf  was tame and those few feet seas of swells and chop were nothing compared to Ocean. but it is the short interval between swells and the chop of the Gulf that makes it seem rough. You would expect ocean to be far worse, but it ain't. Oceans have longer swells even if they are a lot taller.

Never got sea-sick though. Mildly felt a little whoosy for a few minutes once , after being tossed inside a buttoned up tank all day  while moving cross country( i did the army too). But never happened on a boat or a ship to me. Modern day sailors don't seem to ready for rough seas either. That last typhoon we were in for a week or so had about 1/3 the sailors(of 25-30) of the ship i was on down and most of our contracting party. (T-AK 670ft , Coral Sea area about 1995 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_PFC_Dewayne_T._Williams_(T-AK-3009) , pretty big ship, and think the swells were like 30-40 and the waves got to  45-50+ at times (IiRC), and they were saying the Gulf( at far lower figures) was rough, I was mildly surprised.

Edited by Strachwitz666

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,959 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

While squalls might annoy you, they add to the realism of this historically-based game.

I do liken what they call Cyclone to be more like squalls. In a cyclone you would have higher winds with large waves, lightning, etc. I do very much wish they would shorten the amount of time from when you get the Cyclone Approaching message to the actual onset of the cyclone. Much too long. And why even wait, why not spawn right into a cyclone (squall). We practically do that in a lot of game starts.

I actually suggested a while back that they implement squalls as shorter duration, smaller area that move through the maps, not take up the whole map. That is what saved USS Enterprise during the first part of the Battle of Santa Cruz.

Edited by Willy55_1955

Sign in to follow this