You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MalkavSol

Starting to really get sick of British BB HE

30 comments in this topic

[NNC]
Members
16 posts
4,455 battles

Ok so this has been happening for past month or so, but last few games have really started to get on my nerve. Last game is the probably the best example.

Been playing October Revolution and got fairly good MM, went to a cap to support my CLs DDs (was the only BB going to said cap). On the enemy side are 3 BBs, New York, Myogi and Iron Duke alongside couple of cruisers. 

I was naturally being focused by all 3, and guess which one messed me up. While all 3 were spamming me, Myogi and NY got perhaps 5k damage on me overall due to good angling, but that Iron Duke ended up doing about 30k with 20 something shells. I even have fire prevention skill on my ship. Ended up trying to kite and get killed by double Zuiho torp planes (Double CV, even at low tier is also starting to get annoying, but topic for another day) because all i had left by that point were 7 short range AA guns, all the others were completely wiped out, so i couldn't even do minuscule damage to enemy planes. 

Now 30 K is not a lot of damage, but given that time spent in battle was just over 8 minutes, it shows just how fast i started to melt. I don't mind being deleted by battleship after showing broadside, thats my misplay. I dont mind being burned to death by CL HE spam as shells themselves dont do that much damage and fires can be controlled by damage con and heals. But if there is way to deal with constant HE spam even from 1 Royal Navy Battleship that both does good damage irrespective of angling and sets constant fires, if there is way to deal with that, it escapes me. 

In case anyone wondering, overall damage tanked was just over 65k (my ship has 42.5 k total HP i think). ~25 came from torp bombers, fires done was just under 10k (mostly from cruisers once i blew damage con on Iron Duke fires). Both other battleships done combined of 5 k damage, mostly from a few lucky Myogi shells, I was just bouncing the rest.   

I don't pretend to know how to balance RN BB HE, so i wont even try, but something must be done with it as there is very little one can do to mitigate it in less maneuverable ships. And that was Iron Duke, I wont even touch the brokeness that is Orion.

If there is something i can do as a player to improve/adapt to this RN HE spam, please do enlighten me. At this point the only thing that comes to me, is to snipe from the back and hope for a few good pens and for them to miss their shots, or rush them and hope the other BB player is stupid enough to show broadside.    

Edited by MalkavSol
  • Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,186 battles

“Ludicrous fire chance couple with ludicrous alpha damage coupled with /4 HE pen = Lulz 4 days”

-WG

Edited by FireAndHEspam

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,934 battles
5 minutes ago, MalkavSol said:

Another one on the pile i guess. 

At least this is somewhat therapeutic for me

First off feel free to post your frustrations on here it is what an internet forum is for ignore the snarky comments from others.  Secondly, you did the right thing with fire prevention, sadly there is not much you can do except have your team focus them down and also run premium repair party as well as heal and also flags.  He spam is annoying I agree with you wholeheartedly there, however I don't see it every changing or not anytime soon anyway.  Ignore the git gud posts, or those that don't agree with you even though they know themselves that RN BB fire chance is too high at certain tiers.  Best of luck out there and remember you aren't the only one who is just as frustrated about things in this game that cannot be controlled or mitigated. 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
500 posts
5,584 battles

I run BoS and both dam con mods on most of my BBs, fire prevention flag, and fire prevention skill on a lot of them. Also the +100% to auxiliary armament mod is almost required on ALL of my BBs if you're ever to stand a chance against CVs in late game. Also specing back into vigilance on pretty much everything without hydro because the "deep water torps" coming out, but that's a rant for another day I guess, we'll see how it goes....

Basically anything but a full or near full survivability build is required with all the HE now, it's ridiculous. Takes a lot of the fun away in the variety of captain builds

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,503 battles

Starting? I've been sick of that [edited] since week one of the release of the line.

[PSP]
Members
6,251 posts
8,888 battles

I don't mind the British BBs' fire-starting ability at all... when I'm playing one.

shot-17.10.16_22.44.27-0514.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle

[TBW]
Members
6,401 posts
12,031 battles

Please don't nerf the British BB's until I can get them and bring their ratings way down.

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,017 posts
8,240 battles

RN BBs have been no issue for me whatsoever. They sink like anything else.

How?

I pick my battles, make them fight me on my terms. If odds aren't favorable, I don't jump in.

1 hour ago, MalkavSol said:

Ok so this has been happening for past month or so, but last few games have really started to get on my nerve. Last game is the probably the best example.

Been playing October Revolution and got fairly good MM, went to a cap to support my CLs DDs (was the only BB going to said cap). On the enemy side are 3 BBs, New York, Myogi and Iron Duke alongside couple of cruisers. 

I was naturally being focused by all 3, and guess which one messed me up. While all 3 were spamming me, Myogi and NY got perhaps 5k damage on me overall due to good angling, but that Iron Duke ended up doing about 30k with 20 something shells. I even have fire prevention skill on my ship. Ended up trying to kite and get killed by double Zuiho torp planes (Double CV, even at low tier is also starting to get annoying, but topic for another day) because all i had left by that point were 7 short range AA guns, all the others were completely wiped out, so i couldn't even do minuscule damage to enemy planes. 

Now 30 K is not a lot of damage, but given that time spent in battle was just over 8 minutes, it shows just how fast i started to melt. I don't mind being deleted by battleship after showing broadside, thats my misplay. I dont mind being burned to death by CL HE spam as shells themselves dont do that much damage and fires can be controlled by damage con and heals. But if there is way to deal with constant HE spam even from 1 Royal Navy Battleship that both does good damage irrespective of angling and sets constant fires, if there is way to deal with that, it escapes me. 

In case anyone wondering, overall damage tanked was just over 65k (my ship has 42.5 k total HP i think). ~25 came from torp bombers, fires done was just under 10k (mostly from cruisers once i blew damage con on Iron Duke fires). Both other battleships done combined of 5 k damage, mostly from a few lucky Myogi shells, I was just bouncing the rest.   

I don't pretend to know how to balance RN BB HE, so i wont even try, but something must be done with it as there is very little one can do to mitigate it in less maneuverable ships. And that was Iron Duke, I wont even touch the brokeness that is Orion.

If there is something i can do as a player to improve/adapt to this RN HE spam, please do enlighten me. At this point the only thing that comes to me, is to snipe from the back and hope for a few good pens and for them to miss their shots, or rush them and hope the other BB player is stupid enough to show broadside.    

It sounds like you got focused. Which means you misplayed.

If there's one lesson that saves a lot of pain, especially T7+, it's choosing your battles. At close range, RN BBs can't keep their guns on you, so easy torp targets in a destroyer. Broadside, their armor promises a lot of 33% pens w/ cruiser AP. Unless fully AA specced, they can't fight off CV sorties either.

No balancing RN BB HE needed. They are designed for mid-range combat. Force them into situation they're lame at, and go for kill.

Yawningly easy detective work here.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
500 posts
5,584 battles
9 minutes ago, Reymu said:

No balancing RN BB HE needed. They are designed for mid-range combat. Force them into situation they're lame at, and go for kill.

It's this that is laughably easier said than done. With all the torps swimming about, radar and smoke, planes and islands. "Forcing" someone to play on your terms when there's 23 other players doing their thing is hilariously rare. Maybe in the late game, sure, but closing the distance is where most get melted.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
54 minutes ago, Reymu said:

How?

I pick my battles, make them fight me on my terms. If odds aren't favorable, I don't jump in.

If there's one lesson that saves a lot of pain, especially T7+, it's choosing your battles. At close range, RN BBs can't keep their guns on you, so easy torp targets in a destroyer. Broadside, their armor promises a lot of 33% pens w/ cruiser AP. Unless fully AA specced, they can't fight off CV sorties either.

This pretty much sums it up.  If you hadn't realized the ability of HMS HE shells, and it sounds like you have given you are "tired" of it, then you should know now.  The problem isn't the HMS ships, it is that you continue to want to run at them like they are other BB's.  

Here is what I saw wrong in your post, from a basic level.  1 BB vs 3.  Ok I get you were there supporting and not alone, but if you are the only BB on your side and sailing into 3 on the other...   That should give you pause.   Seeing one was a HMS BB should have been a clue..  Maybe one on one you could have sailed at her, but in my Okt Rev I wouldn't.  Not without a decided HP advantage anyway. 

I make more than my fair share of mistakes in this game, and I hear about it quite frequently.  That said,  my biggest fault is that I know what I am doing wrong and do it anyway.  The flip side is...  I know what I am doing wrong and don't cry about it. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,085 posts
14,482 battles

There are those that know how to deal with HE+Fires.

Then there are those that don't.

And in the last group, within them we also got the "Pop DCP on 1 Fire" crowd.  My favorite crowd :cap_cool:

[SIM]
Members
2,529 posts
4,182 battles

Really? My biggest beef with them is the fact that they're next to impossible to citadel. On the other hand, because they mindlessly spam HE you can take some truly stupid angles against them without fear of eating a bunch of citadel hits.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

And in the last group, within them we also got the "Pop DCP on 1 Fire" crowd.  My favorite crowd :cap_cool:

At the outset of every game in the GK I pop up the spotter and load up HE..  I can almost always drop a fire starting salvo on a BB..and watch him immediately put it out.  Even if I don't get the second shot on him,  that is one repair down and the game hasn't even really started.   In the Yam I usually keep the AP because it is fun to one shot delete cruisers at 20k while they still think they are safe.  lol. 

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
780 posts
6,665 battles

This is what happens when you combine high HE alpha damage plus high fire chance. I can point my KGV guns at any one ship, declare "no fun allowed," and then spam HE at them every 21-25 seconds until they're dead or forced to flee into the recesses of their spawn. I did this exact thing to an Iowa on Tears of the Desert a few days ago. First volley set two fires on him, instant DCP, and then the second volley set two more fires. Afterwards, I continuously pelted the Iowa as it fled back to spawn. 28 shell hits did 40k damage, while the 8 fires melted off another 38k HP. 

I don't like to spread fires among ships like most people think RN BBs or CAs tend to do. I will focus down one ship with the KGV's ludicrous HE alpha damage and fire chance until they're dead or effectively taken out of the fight. DCP doesn't help very much if you're taking fairly large amounts of HE impact damage every 21-25 seconds on top of the constant fire damage over time.

[NNC]
Members
16 posts
4,455 battles
1 hour ago, Reymu said:

How?

I assume that was sarcastic. Focused? I took almost no damage from the other ships near the cap. Carrier was able to strike me afterward because all AA i had got destroyed in those 5 minutes of combat. And the Iron duke was behind the other BBs, not mid range. 

I did pick my battle, I did not see iron duke until he started shooting me, and then i ducked behind an island and started kiting away, never showing broadside to any BBs, and lost 70% of my max hp to HE spamming Iron Duke regardless. 

And RN BB HE for mid range combat? All BBs are mid range combat at this tier (10ish km). The only difference is that you can angle to mitigate most damage with others, but RN do not care about your angling, but can angle in return. 

The weaknesses you are listing apply to every single battleship in the game. It is how you fight battleships in general.... 

What is the situation RN BBs are lame at btw (unique to the line and not battleships in general)? It kinda escapes me......

Edited by MalkavSol

Members
1,155 posts
6,920 battles
40 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

those feels when someone puts 1 fire out, but you cant set them on fire again until their DC is back. 

Members
1,866 posts

What should OR do when faced with Iron Duke? Why, light him on fire of course! He will burn up long before you do. Every time he gets two fires going, instantly put them out. Then burn him up like a crispy critter.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,085 posts
14,482 battles
56 minutes ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

those feels when someone puts 1 fire out, but you cant set them on fire again until their DC is back. 

That's why the Cruiser ROF is great.  I mean, have you not had the pleasure of something like Myoko putting 4 fires onto you in one go and your DCP is on CD? :Smile_hiding:

[REAL]
Members
301 posts
6,119 battles

Play another game. Or another mode.

Cone back when WG fix this mess.

I have been playing WoT a lot lately. Instead of Wows

Members
1,155 posts
6,920 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

That's why the Cruiser ROF is great.  I mean, have you not had the pleasure of something like Myoko putting 4 fires onto you in one go and your DCP is on CD? :Smile_hiding:

or even better.  some DD with 5% fire chance shooting out of some smoke 12km away sets you on fire with each shell that hits. :cap_wander:

had 2 games today in my ibuki where i hosed the living snot out of BBs left and right, but couldn't  buy a single fire.  Must of had like a 5% fire chance in those matches.   One of the fires i got was instantly put out by a yamato.  Luckily, he ate some torps and flooded to death shorlty after so i guess i helped in that respect.  would of been nice to get a little damage...:Smile_izmena:

[NG-NL]
Members
5,017 posts
8,240 battles
7 hours ago, MalkavSol said:

I assume that was sarcastic. Focused? I took almost no damage from the other ships near the cap. Carrier was able to strike me afterward because all AA i had got destroyed in those 5 minutes of combat. And the Iron duke was behind the other BBs, not mid range. 

I did pick my battle, I did not see iron duke until he started shooting me, and then i ducked behind an island and started kiting away, never showing broadside to any BBs, and lost 70% of my max hp to HE spamming Iron Duke regardless. 

And RN BB HE for mid range combat? All BBs are mid range combat at this tier (10ish km). The only difference is that you can angle to mitigate most damage with others, but RN do not care about your angling, but can angle in return. 

The weaknesses you are listing apply to every single battleship in the game. It is how you fight battleships in general.... 

What is the situation RN BBs are lame at btw (unique to the line and not battleships in general)? It kinda escapes me......

Except Duke and Zuiho ganged on you.

So you didn't have an escape route immediately within reach. One of those annoying things about BBs is relying on their tankiness, not speed. I normally engage after 10/12 reds' location given away. Seems you were just racing the reconnaissance.

No BB cares about angling if they fire HE. RN just have the better RNG.

Lame at? If their HE takes 16 hits to start one fire. Been trolled already in my ID and QE this way. They are also the worst at turning their MB, so surprising them with island ambushes is a viable--if rarely applicable--tactic. 

Beta Testers
1,158 posts
5,295 battles
11 hours ago, MalkavSol said:

65k - 25k from CVs, - 10k fire from mostly CAs, - 5k from other BB AP leaves about 25k from the RN BB.  This is not even taking into account the actually HE shell damage from CAs nor the flooding from the CVs (going to assume you flooded some as you mentioned using DC to counter RN BB fires),  So you are looking about maybe 20k out of the 65k damage you took for the RN BB.  Really that isn't such a big deal, when you are being focus fired down by a ship that is basically intended to go after you.