You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RacerDemon

Yup, this post again!

17 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
945 posts
5,179 battles

Once here, I am here to rant on how Radar and Hydro need to have their X-Ray vision removed. Thats not how it worked "back then" and thats not how it works now. This needs to be fixed asap, especially because of the nerf to smoke. 

Members
3,470 posts
6,173 battles

Then be prepared to wait awhile - it would take a rewrite with a new engine.  As someone else noted - if you want real life then it would extend a LOT father out and far more ships would have them.  Pretty sure you would want those less.

[RE]
Members
485 posts
18,151 battles

Yeah bring back reality, ocean map, nowhere to hide behind islands and try to pew pew ships to death, all out slug fest like in reality

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Hydro always worked this way. Why would you expect something different?

Alpha Tester
945 posts
5,179 battles
38 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Then be prepared to wait awhile - it would take a rewrite with a new engine.  As someone else noted - if you want real life then it would extend a LOT father out and far more ships would have them.  Pretty sure you would want those less.

I am not asking for 100% realism.....i just want to who had the bright idea of "lets give them x-ray!" herpa derp.....:Smile_facepalm:

Alpha Tester
945 posts
5,179 battles
1 minute ago, Doomlock said:

Hydro always worked this way. Why would you expect something different?

Cause hyrdo or radar should never see through solid objects? 

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
Just now, RacerDemon said:

Cause hyrdo or radar should never see through solid objects? 

IRL yes of course. However in the context of the game, it does. TBH it would nerf cruisers extremely hared as they'd lose the ability to spot from cover. Something they would hate to lose, it already is hard enough to get into radar range safely and successfully position oneself for effective use.

[LHG]
Members
1,652 posts
4,919 battles
36 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

This ^

Here's the thing, in reality destroyers didn't lay smoke screens to hide in and fire torps and their guns at anything that happens to wander by.  In real life, destroyers that do the things WOWS destroyer captains do would get then quickly deleted from reality.  

What smoke screens were for was to obscure the enemy's vision to allow the ships behind it to run away or at least maneuver outside of the enemy's sight.   By the end of the war, pretty much all US and British ships were equipped with radar so if WOWS mirrored reality, every US ship from the T5's on up would all have radar of some sort available to them, which of course, is one of the reasons why dd's didn't just plant their bottoms in their smoke screen and pew pew pew at the enemy.   

Btw, that infinite supply of torpedoes dd's use in WOWS didn't exist either.  If we move to reality you might have one reload available for use in a battle, maybe two?  

The long and the short of this story is that reality cuts both ways.  I personally would rather see the game move closer to reality and further away from an arcade game so I wouldn't mind having the radar function in a more realistic way, as long as we bring the rest of reality with it. 

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
6,405 posts
12,050 battles

If you want real life, then you would be able to see every one all of the time. You would not need radar at all, When standing Port, Starboard or After Watch, you can see a ship mast coming over the horizon at 20 nautical miles (with a pair of regular binoculars). You can see a rowboat at 12 miles. Not only that, they don't really blink in and out.

• Cool 2

[MIA-A]
Supertester
505 posts
4,421 battles

I am honestly surprised why you keep bringing up this topic.

If its someone new to the game I can understand why they would bring up a topic like this but.....you are an Alpha tester and you of all people should know that WG is gonna make a massive unilateral change like this out of nowhere, especially if other game mechanics rely on it too (spotting, rendering etc etc).

I am disappointed in you @RacerDemon  

[NMKJT]
Members
2,729 posts

I know it's not going to change, but I find it immersion breaking. Why can't we just see through the island? Same mechanic. Radio waves and light waves are the same stuff - electronic magnetic radiation. Visible light is just shorter in frequency and wave length. It goes on long enough it will become a radio wave.

I know it's not real but you have to obey physical laws at some point. I have a hard time with this one.

Edited by Destroyer_Suzukaze

[PSP]
Members
6,268 posts
8,904 battles

WOWS radar isn't just your run-of-the-mill radar. Our radar-men are a special breed.

project-raibow-kush.jpg?fit=770,400&ssl=

Edited by Snargfargle

[PVE]
Members
5,620 posts
18,209 battles
1 hour ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Here's the thing, in reality destroyers didn't lay smoke screens to hide in and fire torps and their guns at anything that happens to wander by.  In real life, destroyers that do the things WOWS destroyer captains do would get then quickly deleted from reality.  

What smoke screens were for was to obscure the enemy's vision to allow the ships behind it to run away or at least maneuver outside of the enemy's sight.   By the end of the war, pretty much all US and British ships were equipped with radar so if WOWS mirrored reality, every US ship from the T5's on up would all have radar of some sort available to them, which of course, is one of the reasons why dd's didn't just plant their bottoms in their smoke screen and pew pew pew at the enemy.   

Btw, that infinite supply of torpedoes dd's use in WOWS didn't exist either.  If we move to reality you might have one reload available for use in a battle, maybe two?  

The long and the short of this story is that reality cuts both ways.  I personally would rather see the game move closer to reality and further away from an arcade game so I wouldn't mind having the radar function in a more realistic way, as long as we bring the rest of reality with it. 

I would only add that in real life aboard a ship and especially a warship in a battle, would be running radar ALL THE TIME. Not 1 or 2 minutes and wait for a cool down, just running it 24/7 unless they had to shut it down for maintenance or repair.

[PSP]
Members
6,268 posts
8,904 battles
10 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I would only add that in real life aboard a ship and especially a warship in a battle, would be running radar ALL THE TIME. Not 1 or 2 minutes and wait for a cool down, just running it 24/7 unless they had to shut it down for maintenance or repair.

You know, "cool down" reminds me that some electronics actually do have a duty cycle, where they must be shut down to literally cool down after a time. In the early days of computing, the Apple II had this. My cousin had a dungeon game that was really fun but you could only play it for about an hour before the computer would freeze up and you had to wait until it cooled down. The most noticeable electronics today with a duty cycle today are welders. I wonder if some WWII radar sets actually had a cool down period.