Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KalishniKat

Tier 6 Uptiering

27 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,535 battles

I've found that most T5 ships handle T7 ships just fine the difference from T6 to T8 can be pretty brutal. More than half my shells from New Mexico bounce off T8 BBs and I've had my T6 BBs blown up frequently by one salvo from an NC or Alabama. Add to that the large speed difference and being one of 2 T6 ships in a T8 game just becomes an exercise in futility. I mean land a good salvo, get 4 or 5 hits and see that 3 or 4 are useless....kinda sucks.

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,221 battles

Also sucks being that Fubuki up against a triple Chappy div. Try bring that Aoba vs a North Carolina. Try being a Bayern vs a Benson. Take away the protected MM from lower tiers and bam. Problem solved

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,535 battles
1 minute ago, FireAndHEspam said:

Also sucks being that Fubuki up against a triple Chappy div. Try bring that Aoba vs a North Carolina. Try being a Bayern vs a Benson. Take away the protected MM from lower tiers and bam. Problem solved

No....make +1-1 across the board. Making T4 suck as bad as the other tiers isn't a solution.

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,934 battles
10 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

I've found that most T5 ships handle T7 ships just fine the difference from T6 to T8 can be pretty brutal. More than half my shells from New Mexico bounce off T8 BBs and I've had my T6 BBs blown up frequently by one salvo from an NC or Alabama. Add to that the large speed difference and being one of 2 T6 ships in a T8 game just becomes an exercise in futility. I mean land a good salvo, get 4 or 5 hits and see that 3 or 4 are useless....kinda sucks.

The key here is man you have to wait for shots against bbs going broadside, you can get cits on tier 8 bbs in tier 6's, if they are bow on or angled you have to switch to he.  Also you have to be more of a support ship when up tiered, don't be the first thing the enemy sees other wise you will get rekt just like any other match.  I would much rather be a 6 in and 8 game then an 8 in a 10 match.  You can have good games, you just have to play more cautiously and be patient.

Edited by knice_destroyer
  • Cool 1

Members
296 posts
9,546 battles

On the plus side, if you manage to have a good match I find the XP & credits quite a nice little bonus...can be difficult to pull off most of the time though...

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,221 battles
Just now, KalishniKat said:

No....make +1-1 across the board. Making T4 suck as bad as the other tiers isn't a solution.

T4 faired OK vs T6. Back before the days of the protected MM AND back when I was still a complete n00b I had no problems at all killing off a Cleveland in a Phoenix, or a Aoba with a Wyoming. Granted those days are long past, all the current system is doing is delaying the quitting of some people who don’t like being bottom tier

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
4,432 posts
9,616 battles

I would rather not be facing off against T8's in my T6's, but if I am I find I can still carry my share of the load.  Mindset certainly plays a role.  I can't tell you how many players I have seen complain immediately about squaring off with T8's in their T6's...and usually they are sunk pretty quickly.  Once I see the T8 MM in my T6, I just settle in and go to work.  Be a bit more cautious since everything is very dangerous to you, but you can still do very respectably.

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

Be a bit more cautious since everything is very dangerous to you, but you can still do very respectably.

My Marblehead and Krasny Kyrm agree with you in the T5-7 group, and my Warspite and New Mexico for the T6-8 group.

[SYN]
Members
14,467 posts
10,482 battles

Uptiered?

The game is telling you to be creative in your gameplay.

There are many ways of punching above your weight in WoWs

• Cool 2

[HELLS]
Members
1,704 posts
15,623 battles
17 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

Play RN and IJN BBs. They are faster, and the RN ones at T6 can actually tank quite nicely.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,462 posts
3,875 battles

Try to think of matchmaking in a context of what would make WG more money.

For instance: Currently WG loses out on sales of tier 5, 6, and 8 premiums as many players pass them over due to the state of matchmaking in those tiers. Sure, these are sold, but I guarantee many more would sell under +1/-1 MM vs the current +2/-2.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,005 posts
7,530 battles
2 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Try to think of matchmaking in a context of what would make WG more money.

For instance: Currently WG loses out on sales of tier 5, 6, and 8 premiums as many players pass them over due to the state of matchmaking in those tiers. Sure, these are sold, but I guarantee many more would sell under +1/-1 MM vs the current +2/-2.

Kiyo speaks the truth. Truth, truth, and truth.

Also, truth.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,462 posts
3,875 battles
2 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Kiyo speaks the truth. Truth, truth, and truth.

Also, truth.

EqUnSLI.gif

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
4,432 posts
9,616 battles

I know Arizona is a strong T6, but I am pretty proud of myself for thinking to catch this screen shot:

c1CxtNg.jpg

[SALVO]
Members
17,139 posts
17,811 battles
40 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

KK, when I was playing my New Mex, I was able to have 100+k damage games on occasion in tier 8 battles, while doing major damage to tier 8 BB's.  The thing is that you have to know where to aim.  If you have a perfect broadside, then maybe you can get some good penetrations and maybe a citadel on tier 8 BBs.  But if you don't have that perfect broadside, then maybe you should aim at the top edge of the hull and try to get major damage hits on the superstructure.  If you're able to stay alive and keep your guns in action, this tactic can rack up some pretty impressive damage numbers.  Honestly, there's no reason that most tier 6 BB's can't produce good damage in tier 8 battles as long as they're able to stay alive and fighting.  It's all about knowing where to aim.

I will agree with you that tier 6 BBs are at a significant speed disadvantage against tier 8 BB's.  This is occasionally true for tier 5 BBs, depending on what tier 6 or 7 BB's you're facing.  But by the time you're facing tier 8 BB's, they're all fast.  And no amount of skill can make you faster.  You just have to make better decisions about where to go on the map to leverage your limited speed.

[SALVO]
Members
17,139 posts
17,811 battles
4 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I know Arizona is a strong T6, but I am pretty proud of myself for thinking to catch this screen shot:

c1CxtNg.jpg

I'm sure that it was a good game for both of the Zonas, though to be fair, being a tier 6 in a tier 8 battle, assuming you were getting your fair share of damage vs tier 8's, you probably earned a lot of XP for damaging higher tier ships.  Still, a thumbs up! :Smile_great:

[SALVO]
Members
17,139 posts
17,811 battles
36 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I would rather not be facing off against T8's in my T6's, but if I am I find I can still carry my share of the load.  Mindset certainly plays a role.  I can't tell you how many players I have seen complain immediately about squaring off with T8's in their T6's...and usually they are sunk pretty quickly.  Once I see the T8 MM in my T6, I just settle in and go to work.  Be a bit more cautious since everything is very dangerous to you, but you can still do very respectably.

Exactly correct, desmo.  It's all about the mindset, the attitude.  If you have a bad attitude about being bottom tier, you're already halfway sunk before the battle starts.

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,535 battles

I do pretty well with NM in T8 games it just gets old when game after game you get uptiered and you are one of 2 or 3 low tier ships. You have half health..hit an NC , bounce most of your shells..he fires back and eliminates you with one salvo. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,139 posts
17,811 battles

Like I said, KK.  Aim for better spots to get decent pens.  Don't just aim for the waterline.  This is a lesson one learns when fighting German BB's.  Aim for the top edge of the hull for the superstructure major damage penning hits, when you don't feel confident of penning the belt armor.

[SALVO]
Members
17,139 posts
17,811 battles

Indeed.  Don't be afraid to spam a little HE when you're looking at their bows.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles

I'd honestly rather play my t6's up 2 than my t5s.

Sign in to follow this