Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

The Z key - use it and be amazed!

37 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,827
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

So fire your rounds then press the Z key. You're riding your shells just like Slim Pickens

 

 

But did you ever notice, on those rounds that penetrate the superstructure, you'll find desks and chairs in there?! Indeed you will! 

I'm slightly amazed yet baffled by that... I suppose something needs to be in there for the rounds to explode against and bounce around... okay... 

But that level of detail seems well, overkill.... wait...

 

Now I know why a ship takes a year to model! 

 

Don't believe me? Start riding your rounds with the Z key - and for additional fun, cycle through all your rounds using the C key. 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
978
Members
4,569 posts
6,516 battles

I liked Slim.  One of the all time great character actors. Hah...he was great in Blazing Saddles.

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,827
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
Just now, Caducus46 said:

This post makes me want to listen to "Slim Pickens" by The Offspring.

 

It's all over coub... ;-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,827
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
18 minutes ago, dmckay said:

I liked Slim.  One of the all time great character actors. Hah...he was great in Blazing Saddles.

 

Went to the barbershop today - of course they were watching Gunsmoke. I realized back in those days, those character actors really, really worked a heckuva lot of shows, movies, you name it. You'd see the same guys playing everywhere. But yeah, Slim? He was freakin' hilariously good. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
978
Members
4,569 posts
6,516 battles
18 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

 

Went to the barbershop today - of course they were watching Gunsmoke. I realized back in those days, those character actors really, really worked a heckuva lot of shows, movies, you name it. You'd see the same guys playing everywhere. But yeah, Slim? He was freakin' hilariously good. 

Slim came kinda late.  Some you will see in movies from the 30's and were still acting in the 70's and 80's. Buddy Edson for example. Walter Breenen....etc. Barney Fife MADE Mayberry RFD great for instance.. He was the deal. Lent his name to any small town cop to THIS day. Generic. We gots a Barney here where I live.  heh

Edited by dmckay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

OP - I don't really know why, but you made me think of something I haven't considered since the 60's...

(I miss the 60's)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
978
Members
4,569 posts
6,516 battles
3 minutes ago, surratus said:

OP - I don't really know why, but you made me think of something I haven't considered since the 60's...

(I miss the 60's)

Great movie.  Those Cold War movies were freaky.  Fail Safe was one of the most scary.  But IMO things are actually more DANGEROUS today than back in the 50's/60's....no sh#t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
687 posts
3,667 battles
15 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Great movie.  Those Cold War movies were freaky.  Fail Safe was one of the most scary.  But IMO things are actually more DANGEROUS today than back in the 50's/60's....no sh#t.

"The Day After" was filming in my home town, they used a bunch of K.U. students for extras.  I recall practicing "Duck and Cover" in school as teens.  Dumb idiots! You want a bunch of young boys and girls to crawl under their desks and think about bombs?  Not likely!  We'll just think about each other.  Thank you very much!

I'll admit though "The Z" made me think of something completely different.  Must have been a memory from deep down in...um...memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,742
Members
18,293 posts
5,226 battles
46 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

 

Went to the barbershop today - of course they were watching Gunsmoke. I realized back in those days, those character actors really, really worked a heckuva lot of shows, movies, you name it. You'd see the same guys playing everywhere.

 

You still see a lot of that, especially if you watch a lot of premium network shows.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,158 posts
6,943 battles

Maybe it is just me, but there are times where i just like to watch CV planes buzz around.  It could be my planes(not in the heat of battle), or an allies when i am dead.  It is just relaxing after a long day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,742
Members
18,293 posts
5,226 battles
27 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Great movie.  Those Cold War movies were freaky.  Fail Safe was one of the most scary.  But IMO things are actually more DANGEROUS today than back in the 50's/60's....no sh#t.

 

It is, but it isn't. If you live in a city, you probably have a better chance of encountering a nuclear detonation of some sort. It's coming. But it's a lottery, even a big terrorist op would only hit a few cities, and with relatively small devices. Back then, every city would have been more or less obliterated, and civilisation would have crumbled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,936 posts
4 minutes ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

Maybe it is just me, but there are times where i just like to watch CV planes buzz around.  It could be my planes(not in the heat of battle), or an allies when i am dead.  It is just relaxing after a long day. 

 

Guilty 

 

I watch my lil planes buzz around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,310 posts
21,134 battles

I remember "The Day After"

     I thought they sanitized it a bit.  The real horror I hope we never know.  22 Kton or so on Nagasaki and 1 to 5 Megatons now - great, that's just great.  Let's all just build a fire and sing some songs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,592
[PSP]
Members
6,328 posts
8,952 battles
Quote

One movie cowboy who actually was a cowboy was Louis Burton Lindley Jr., a top competitor and clown on the rodeo circuit. When he enlisted in the Army, he wrote his occupation as “rodeo,” which someone misread to be “radio.” Thus he spent his entire service at a radio station in the Midwest. After his service, he used his wrangling skills to land a place in Hollywood. Asked about his job change, he replied, “Ain’t never had one dang camera run over me.” For a stage name, he remembered the advice given him by an old hand about how much money he might make if he stayed in the rodeo: Slim Pickens.

 

https://truewestmagazine.com/cowboys-in-combat/

 

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,376
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles

Wasn't this thread about camera controls, why has the past page, save 3 posts, been about old movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,592
[PSP]
Members
6,328 posts
8,952 battles
6 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Wasn't this thread about camera controls, why has the past page, save 3 posts, been about old movies.

 

You have 15,000 posts -- you know how forum discussions work. Camera controls --> Z-follow bombs, torpedoes --> Dr Strangelove --> Slim Pickens --> Movies ---> Movie Cameras --> Camera controls. It's the circle of life

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,420 posts
8,276 battles
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

So fire your rounds then press the Z key. You're riding your shells just like Slim Pickens

 

 

But did you ever notice, on those rounds that penetrate the superstructure, you'll find desks and chairs in there?! Indeed you will! 

I'm slightly amazed yet baffled by that... I suppose something needs to be in there for the rounds to explode against and bounce around... okay... 

But that level of detail seems well, overkill.... wait...

 

Now I know why a ship takes a year to model! 

 

Don't believe me? Start riding your rounds with the Z key - and for additional fun, cycle through all your rounds using the C key. 

 

 

Cool. One of my all time favorites and I'm a Kubrick film fan in general.  I had a particularly cool teacher in high school who showed this film, along with a series of other examples of black comedy/social criticism to the class.

 

Related to Slim, Blazing Saddles is another favorite of mine.  

 

I've used the Z key but I've never rode the shells in far enough to see anything like you're describing.  I feel about 95% sure you must be kidding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,850
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,178 posts
14,610 battles

Hooray for Slim Pickens!

 

Wood, Hollis P. - An American Hero!

 

Yes, that's Toshiro Mifune as the IJN submarine captain!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,054
Members
3,814 posts
14,142 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

Great movie.  Those Cold War movies were freaky.  Fail Safe was one of the most scary.  But IMO things are actually more DANGEROUS today than back in the 50's/60's....no sh#t.

Hell yeah! Back in the 60s-70s the worry was Nuke weapons. Now it's Nukes and terrorists.

31 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Wasn't this thread about camera controls, why has the past page, save 3 posts, been about old movies.

Because old movies are great! :Smile_great:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×