You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
w4spl3g

Dear WG, your Clan [edited] is alienating the majority of your playerbase.

126 comments in this topic

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

At least with ranked, normal people had a chance of getting carried, you could play any class, and you could play any time.

Once again you're rewarding the best players with the most OP crapin the game - only this time it will be by the Clan load of unicums and not just a few at a time. There is so much wrong with this it's hard to spell it all out so I'll just say that for me, I'm basically done spending money, and if this craptrajectory keeps up, I will actively be looking for something else to play soon. As the leader of a 30 man Clan which was only created to give solo players the benefits afforded the people in this stupid system in the first place, that should concern you at least a little since at least hypothetically your crapsystem is aimed squarely at me.

Love,

An average player

• Cool 1

Members
1,148 posts
4,259 battles

WG Handicapped Clan Wars to make them more accessible (irony) 

Mate, it's Clan Wars: a mode where the best of the best duke it out for prestige and reward. It's a tournament.

...It's no surprise competitive level gaming isn't tailored for the masses, and it shouldn't be

The way I see is as follows:

Ranked is for casuals/avg players/non-unicums/etc who want to play competitively

Clan Wars is the big league

• Cool 7

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles

It's entirely unfair to the unicum players to generalize rewards to everyone. They worked hard to become as good as they have at the game and should be rewarded for it. I personally would not play a game that completely generalized rewards to everyone.

That being said, I by no means agree with the clan battles system. With ranked battles, you alone prove your worth, and everyone has an equal opportunity (by their own skill) to make it to the top. A proper system. (Not perfect, but the general idea is there.) Clan battles on the other hand, essentially make any rewards extremely exclusive, and not for skilled players, but for players that are capable of using voice coms and perfectly coordinating with each other. It also starts to become a system of who actually knows enough people to be able to compete in the battles. It's extremely unfair to people that can't meet either of those conditions, yet are still decent or even unicum at the game.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,630 posts
5,963 battles

Every competitive game has unique rewards for the top level.  This has been consistent since, like, EverQuest.  You're best off playing Sim City.

• Cool 8

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,479 posts
4,069 battles

I don't see anything wrong with rewarding the best clans for their efforts in a team-based competitive mode. For the most part, I'm okay with this first season of clan wars.

As for the rewards, I'm only seeing currency, flags, camouflage, and a currently-in-development cruiser. What's overpowered?

[HINON]
Supertester
7,523 posts
7,580 battles
1 minute ago, Panbun said:

I don't see anything wrong with rewarding the best clans for their efforts in a team-based competitive mode. For the most part, I'm okay with this first season of clan wars.

As for the rewards, I'm only seeing currency, flags, camouflage, and a currently-in-development cruiser. What's overpowered?

The “cruiser” which isn’t a cruiser. She’s a battlecruiser.

[SYN]
Members
14,456 posts
10,465 battles
6 minutes ago, Speedstang said:

It's entirely unfair to the unicum players to generalize rewards to everyone. They worked hard to become as good as they have at the game and should be rewarded for it. I personally would not play a game that completely generalized rewards to everyone.

That being said, I by no means agree with the clan battles system. With ranked battles, you alone prove your worth, and everyone has an equal opportunity (by their own skill) to make it to the top. A proper system. (Not perfect, but the general idea is there.) Clan battles on the other hand, essentially make any rewards extremely exclusive, and not for skilled players, but for players that are capable of using voice coms and perfectly coordinating with each other. It also starts to become a system of who actually knows enough people to be able to compete in the battles. It's extremely unfair to people that can't meet either of those conditions, yet are still decent or even unicum at the game.

no. Ranked is about winning X number of games in a row. It was entirely possible to be carried to rank 1.

20 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

At least with ranked, normal people had a chance of getting carried, you could play any class, and you could play any time.

Once again you're rewarding the best players with the most OP crapin the game - only this time it will be by the Clan load of unicums and not just a few at a time. There is so much wrong with this it's hard to spell it all out so I'll just say that for me, I'm basically done spending money, and if this craptrajectory keeps up, I will actively be looking for something else to play soon. As the leader of a 30 man Clan which was only created to give solo players the benefits afforded the people in this stupid system in the first place, that should concern you at least a little since at least hypothetically your crapsystem is aimed squarely at me.

Love,

An average player

Did the people who carried you, agree to carrying you?

I think you are forced upon them a vast majority of the time.

With CW, everyone in the team has consented to carry each other, so it's mutual.

Maybe find a clan that will agree to carry you to the top?

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

no. Ranked is about winning X number of games in a row. It was entirely possible to be carried to rank 1.

Hence the "(Not perfect, but the general idea is there)" part......

Clan battles are far worse for the aforementioned reasons.

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles
5 minutes ago, Panbun said:

Oh, I don't know, maybe the free tier 10 premium "cruiser" with more displacement than North Carolina and 12-inch guns.....

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,668 battles

Did I really just read a post threatening to quit if WG wouldn't ensure the OP could be carried to a trophy ship?

• Cool 9

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
12,158 battles

Im only annoyed that as an Australian this will take place from 11am to 2pm. While my whole clan is at work. And US Saturday is my Sunday, and as there's no Friday night slot (what the actual [edited]?) It means we'd get one window to play a week. 

"You should have joined Asia server" oh yeah? Well it's from 10pm to 1am on there. So looks like Aussies be [edited] either way. 

Fortunately many years in the defence force taught me to never get excited - something WG seems to enforce with every single thing they release.

Edited by SalvoSanta
  • Cool 3

[SYN]
Members
14,456 posts
10,465 battles
1 minute ago, Speedstang said:

Hence the "(Not perfect, but the general idea is there)" part......

Clan battles are far worse for the aforementioned reasons.

Ranked is not even close to perfect.
Personal performance only changed your chances of winning X games in a row.

The vast majority of the time, your chances of winning at all hinged on how MM decided to divide the teams.
All you needed was time to reach rank 1, because of how much of it depended on luck of the draw.

No, if personal performance mattered in ranked, then the star reward system would be reflective of that. Instead, ranked is about "team" performance, rather than "individual" performance, so one excellent player cannot carry a team full of awful players to victory. Likewise, if there is a team full of excellent players, a team full of good players is not going to win against them either.

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,479 posts
4,069 battles
11 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

The “cruiser” which isn’t a cruiser. She’s a battlecruiser.

6 minutes ago, Speedstang said:

Oh, I don't know, maybe the free tier 10 premium "cruiser" with more displacement than North Carolina and 12-inch guns.....

Thanks, I didn't know she was a battlecruiser. But changing the class to battleship would have no impact on its performance if the ship's stats are kept the same. A ship's class alone isn't enough to call a ship OP.

• Cool 1

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles
Just now, MrDeaf said:

Ranked is not even close to perfect.
Personal performance only changed your chances of winning X games in a row.

The vast majority of the time, your chances of winning at all hinged on how MM decided to divide the teams.
All you needed was time to reach rank 1, because of how much of it depended on luck of the draw.

No, if personal performance mattered in ranked, then the star reward system would be reflective of that. Instead, ranked is about "team" performance, rather than "individual" performance, so one excellent player cannot carry a team full of awful players to victory. Likewise, if there is a team full of excellent players, a team full of good players is not going to win against them either.

You're missing my entire point. I know ranked has its own issues, which I understated, but clan battles are far worse for rewarding "skill". What I was getting at was that a system with the general idea of ranked would be far better for rewarding skill. Obviously, with major changes.

To respond to your points though, with ranked, your own ability does matter, at least to an extent. (Especially in the amount of time needed). Granted, the majority of players, with enough persistence, can make it up to rank 1, but you won't see a 40% winrate up there. They'll simply cost the victory too often.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,892 battles

I never wanted to be the one who had to carry dead weight to rank 1. But alas, it was forced upon me.

[SYN]
Members
14,456 posts
10,465 battles
1 minute ago, Speedstang said:

You're missing my entire point. I know ranked has its own issues, which I understated, but clan battles are far worse for rewarding "skill". What I was getting at was that a system with the general idea of ranked would be far better for rewarding skill. Obviously, with major changes.

To respond to your points though, with ranked, your own ability does matter, at least to an extent. (Especially in the amount of time needed). Granted, the majority of players, with enough persistence, can make it up to rank 1, but you won't see a 40% winrate up there. They'll simply cost the victory too often.

Doesn't CW reward skill though?

I mean, you will get a T10 premium from it by placing in the top bracket 3 times.

You don't even get all the time in the world to do it, so it is even more limited than anything else.

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles
2 minutes ago, Panbun said:

Thanks, I didn't know she was a battlecruiser. But changing the class to battleship would have no impact on its performance if the ship's stats are kept the same. A ship's class alone isn't enough to call a ship OP.

A cruiser, with battleship guns, 35.5 knots top speed, 18 second reload, more health than all non-tier 10 battleships, and 50mm of bow and deck armor. Very much bordering OP at the very least.....

1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

Doesn't CW reward skill though?

I mean, you will get a T10 premium from it by placing in the top bracket 3 times.

You don't even get all the time in the world to do it, so it is even more limited than anything else.

As I originally stated:

36 minutes ago, Speedstang said:

Clan battles on the other hand, essentially make any rewards extremely exclusive, and not for skilled players, but for players that are capable of using voice coms and perfectly coordinating with each other. It also starts to become a system of who actually knows enough people to be able to compete in the battles. It's extremely unfair to people that can't meet either of those conditions, yet are still decent or even unicum at the game.

Not to mention making it so time limited hurts people who can't be online that long at the moment.

[SIM]
Members
2,538 posts
4,182 battles

WG's clan activities have historically been garbage, and have been almost incestuous in how they allow a small minority to repeatedly game the system in order to reap exclusive benefits (and no, that minority is not typically made up of the best players). That said, I don't agree that the Clan system has alienated a significant portion of the community in WoWs.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
948 posts
10,409 battles

I think Clan battle should have a nice incentive to get people to play the mode. If it's the stalingrad then so bit it. It should be hard to get, something for people to work toward.

What I do have a problem is, WG making it pseudo exclusive for clans with members that play on EST with their jacked up hours. Here's a WG logic, lets increase clan battle participation by limiting CB hours to 3 hrs on 4 days of the week where only people in EST can play. 

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles
41 minutes ago, Speedstang said:

Technically a "normal player " that has not paid a lot of cash into the game could actually have better skills, but just not have the stats. So there is some variance from player to player with similar WR as far as they actual skill levels.

Of course the absolute top players do work hard typically as well, but don't usually get those stats with 100% hard work alone since grinding certain stock ships and getting a Captain trained up to usuable level or getting Captains retrained to new ships, a lot easier with cash.

Lol for example blew away a 70% WR player in WOT Blitz Rated Battles earlier today and he probably should have suspected I was nearby based on the way map was, the dead tanks he was driving past, and the fact I was still alive. Well the instant he met his end he started raging in Global chat much the same way you see noobs rage lol.

While on the other hand I have seen Unicum players that skill level be far more calm and polite about it, those tend to be the true Unicum players that have skill and right mindset to actually maintain their stats far better.

[INTEL]
Members
8,588 posts
25,729 battles
30 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Did I really just read a post threatening to quit if WG wouldn't ensure the OP could be carried to a trophy ship?

Internet won. Close this thread.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
42 minutes ago, _V12 said:

Every competitive game has unique rewards for the top level.  This has been consistent since, like, EverQuest.  You're best off playing Sim City.

even better, candy crush or fruit ninja  :cap_like:

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles
50 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

Love,

An average player

Sorry OP, I think you are missing the point. The CW system was intended for non-solo players to satisfy a desire that many non-solo players wanted.  What's wrong with that?  I say this as a completely contented solo player, happily clanless - Good for them!  They waited a long time, many complained, and many aren't happy with the format.  The format will change in time in response to the population.as it did with Co-op.  Take a look sometime at the number of clans and the population in each clan.  How many even come close to the 30 members your clan has?  Do you really think WG aimed this policy at your clan?

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles
1 minute ago, surratus said:

Sorry OP, I think you are missing the point. The CW system was intended for non-solo players to satisfy a desire that many non-solo players wanted.  What's wrong with that?  I say this as a completely contented solo player, happily clanless - Good for them!  They waited a long time, many complained, and many aren't happy with the format.  The format will change in time in response to the population.as it did with Co-op.  Take a look sometime at the number of clans and the population in each clan.  How many even come close to the 30 members your clan has?  Do you really think WG aimed this policy at your clan?

What's wrong with it is they're giving the most powerful premium ever to them, (with a custom model as well, unlike the Flint and Black), and not allowing others a chance at it, even if they have the skill. I'm all for rewarding skill, but this system is extremely unfair. It is entirely exclusive to a specific people, regardless of actual skill.

• Cool 1