You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
geser98

I have been converted

27 comments in this topic

Members
1,034 posts
95 battles

I used to absolutely adore Bismarck at Tier 8 and didn't understand what all the fuss was about when a lot of CCs were going on about how strong North Carolina is, especially looking at her average stats. But now I finally got her, played a few games and this ship is just insanely strong! An I'm still running stock, except for engine.

It does punish you hard for misplay, something that Germans and British don't, but when you do it right, man, the results are fantastic!

NC.thumb.JPG.d0adc56704f3f8670041c4b1fc3caccd.JPG

Edited by geser98
  • Cool 1

[B2P]
Members
517 posts
13,666 battles

Wait until you get the Iowa or Missouri, and finally the Montana.  With the accuracy upgrade you can do a lot of damage to broadside ships, as long as your aim is good.  You still get punished if you show broadsides, but it sounds like you have that already figured out.  It should only get better for you going forward.

I just got the Monty the other day and I am loving it.  Only have 5 battles, but I'm at an 80% WR and average damage of 144k with it so far.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles

Alabama and North Carolina why bother with tier 9..............oh yeah Iowa and Missouri.

Magic AA that makes planes disappear and stealthy to boot.

Edited by GreyFox78659

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,868 posts
10,655 battles

Yup, the NC is a beast. The guns are so good and the AA is fantastic. I like Bismarck but give me the NC any day. Iowa and then Montana are better and even more so. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,139 posts
14,547 battles
4 hours ago, geser98 said:

I used to absolutely adore Bismarck at Tier 8 and didn't understand what all the fuss was about when a lot of CCs were going on about how strong North Carolina is, especially looking at her average stats. But now I finally got her, played a few games and this ship is just insanely strong! An I'm still running stock, except for engine.

It does punish you hard for misplay, something that Germans and British don't, but when you do it right, man, the results are fantastic!

NC.thumb.JPG.d0adc56704f3f8670041c4b1fc3caccd.JPG

If you are one for Premium Ships, Alabama is even better.  She turns better and her sides aren't so easily penetrated, citadeled as NC.  The hull is also quite shorter.  Basically, imagine a US BB that likes to turn as well as the Standard USN BBs but has the 27kt speed of NC.  Both are great BBs though, NC was one of my original, favorite BBs.  I even forked out for the Perma-Camo.

The nice thing with the Tier VIII USN BBs are those guns.  I'm sure you experienced the frustration in Bismarck where you're forced to rely on guns and cannot leverage the brawl with your secondaries.  But the USN BB guns?  You don't have that problem, you can reliably engage with some distance if need be.

Wait until you try the 16"/50 guns of the Tier IX-X USN BBs, fitted with Artillery Plotting Room Mod 2 in Slot 3 (11% dispersion improvement).

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
7 hours ago, DreadRaybo said:

Wait until you get the Iowa or Missouri, and finally the Montana.  With the accuracy upgrade you can do a lot of damage to broadside ships, as long as your aim is good.  You still get punished if you show broadsides, but it sounds like you have that already figured out.  It should only get better for you going forward.

Actually, I do have a Mighty Mo. I started very bad on her, but recently have made a good progress. My average damage is still low, but at least my WR is closing on 55%. 

Actually, so far I feel like NC is stronger for her tier than Iowa/Missouri. She's a smaller target, she turns better, with signal I get her to almost 29 kn and she's every bit as tanky, but that said, NC faces Yamatos occasionally, while Missouri does in almost every game.

Guns feel almost the same. Yes, Iowa/Mo can use accuracy mod, but NC's got higher sigma IIRC, so in the end it's all the same, or at least it feels that way. 

4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If you are one for Premium Ships, Alabama is even better. 

I actually visited The Lucky A this year, so might get her into my collection of Premiums. I didn't buy her when she was on sale because I wan't sure I'd like her, but now she isn't on sale any more, so I'll just have to wait. 

Edited by geser98
  • Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
382 posts
6,428 battles

Just researched NC. Glad to hear that it is good.

Don't have the creds tho...yet D:

[5IN]
Members
1,792 posts
8,140 battles
8 hours ago, geser98 said:

I actually visited The Lucky A this year, so might get her into my collection of Premiums. I didn't buy her when she was on sale because I wan't sure I'd like her, but now she isn't on sale any more, so I'll just have to wait. 

I visited the Alabama about 2 weeks ago for the second time.  She's a beautiful ship, isn't she.  I especially like that you can go down into the barbette and see the inner workings..  very cool. 

B

• Cool 1

[DTOM]
Members
93 posts
6,343 battles

I'm GRINDING my way to the North Carolina lads!  I'll get there soon in about 60,000 XP!  I love the NC and want to add her to my USN "Battle Wagon" collection:  TEXAS, ARIZONA, NEW MEXICO, COLORADO, and soon to join the Fleet: NORTH CAROLINA!  

Members
879 posts
9,098 battles

All the potatoes flock to the German line (lol, i have them all too), but I love my top 3 USN BBs and really looking forward to selling Iowa for a MO.  NC is a tank, been running mostly T9/T10 lately for Yamamoto, but I need to get back in her...

Members
2,396 posts
7,715 battles

NC is good but IMO Bismarck/Tirpitz and Amagi are better ships.

NCcant show the sides without losing 1/3 or half Hp, that citadel os very easy to hit. And the guns are good, but you need to get close, those shell arcs are terrible. 

Members
1,034 posts
95 battles

Well, Amagi takes citadels at range just a well and she has to expose a lot of broadside to bring guns to bear, but Bismarck and the Brits are very noob friendly. No citadels, damage comes easy and dying is problematic :cap_haloween: So stat-wise Amagi or Bismarck are better, indeed.

But NC is just more interesting to play. It doesn't forgive mistakes. And you can still get great use out of her.

Members
378 posts
5,813 battles
On 10/30/2017 at 0:32 AM, WhiteRecon said:

All the potatoes flock to the German line (lol, i have them all too), but I love my top 3 USN BBs and really looking forward to selling Iowa for a MO.  NC is a tank, been running mostly T9/T10 lately for Yamamoto, but I need to get back in her...

It really is amazing that they have put so many potato proof BBs in this game, allowing them to show side without being punished just keeps them in the game longer, not to mention the easy mode secondaries on the KM line.

Members
378 posts
5,813 battles

I love having a full AA build on my NC, I got in a T10 match against a midway, shot down 37 planes. Was an awesome game all around scoring 3699 base XP.

Members
842 posts

I'm not at all enjoying my Bismark, when I did very well (and enjoyed) the Gneisenau.  Most of that boils down to the T8 meta, where being a massively-visible bottom-tier BB with poor long-range firepower is a severe disadvantage. Bis' inability to hide and cause reasonable damage until it gets quite close means it's pretty much nothing more than a floating target/BBQ for the T9/T10 ships it sees most of the time.

I'd agree the NC is significantly better - it bow-tanks far superior (the 3x3 turret arrangement is much superior to the 4x2), has much more accurate guns, heavier-hitting guns, and ludicrously better detection.

I'm hoping the FDG fixes the issues I have with Bis, but I certainly can't fault the NC in anyway, and I'd definitely want one if I was a primary BB player at the upper tiers. I'm not, so I'm not gonna grind up to a NC, though if someone wants to gift me one... :-)

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,558 posts
3,539 battles
1 hour ago, EAnybody said:

I'm not at all enjoying my Bismark, when I did very well (and enjoyed) the Gneisenau.  Most of that boils down to the T8 meta, where being a massively-visible bottom-tier BB with poor long-range firepower is a severe disadvantage. Bis' inability to hide and cause reasonable damage until it gets quite close means it's pretty much nothing more than a floating target/BBQ for the T9/T10 ships it sees most of the time.

I'd agree the NC is significantly better - it bow-tanks far superior (the 3x3 turret arrangement is much superior to the 4x2), has much more accurate guns, heavier-hitting guns, and ludicrously better detection.

I'm hoping the FDG fixes the issues I have with Bis, but I certainly can't fault the NC in anyway, and I'd definitely want one if I was a primary BB player at the upper tiers. I'm not, so I'm not gonna grind up to a NC, though if someone wants to gift me one... :-)

Bismarck requires a absolutely different play style once you hit T8, sure if your top tier you keep doing the German brawling but that doesn't work in T10. Luckily I was already experienced with these matches (thank you NC) but when I see Bismarcks on my team in a T9 or T10 match I know their going down fast. Mine is set up with Secondaries/concealment which is fun in a derpy way but I plan to respec my captain when I got tier 9. The Bismarck can do well but the NC makes fighting while bottom tier so much easier

Members
842 posts
33 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

Bismarck requires a absolutely different play style once you hit T8, sure if your top tier you keep doing the German brawling but that doesn't work in T10. Luckily I was already experienced with these matches (thank you NC) but when I see Bismarcks on my team in a T9 or T10 match I know their going down fast. Mine is set up with Secondaries/concealment which is fun in a derpy way but I plan to respec my captain when I got tier 9. The Bismarck can do well but the NC makes fighting while bottom tier so much easier

Yeah, unfortunately, a Bis sees almost exclusively matches filled with T9 and T10 ships these days. Very few times are there T7s, and the T6 match in with T8s is a unicorn rarity.  The Bis' problem is that it has severe accuracy problems past about 12km, and has to show far too much broadside to get all the guns into action. It's just ill-suited (no matter what kind of build you do, and I've tried several significantly different ones) to the current matchmaking.  It just eats pens from all over the place, and that's harsh - a pen is 5k+ from T9 or T10 BBs.

The NC, on the other hand, does quite well being uptiered. You don't ever show a BB your broadside, but other than that, it's eminently playable in several different styles. I have to give it kudos on that. I think the biggest threats I've seen reliably demolish a NC are the Hindenberg with it's high-volume AP, and the T8+ KM DDs, with their combo good torps and (again) hard-core AP.  And, of course, like most BBs, you absolutely don't want to get into a situation where you're doing a 2:1 or worse with enemy CAs or BBs, because you simply can't take that kind of pounding. But, unless it's broadside, it seems like NC's get a lot more bounces and overpens than my Bis does.  Certainly, I get a f-ton more shatters on an NC when I shoot at it with 8" HE, than I do when shooting at Bismarks.

But the NC's guns are sweeeeet. I'd really like to play one, given what I've seen in matches, and it's really tight dispersion. I can't count the number of times I've watched an NC put all 6 shots from the forward turrets directly on a target 8km or so away, and absolutely wreck it.  Not to mention the fact that I find the 2ndaries really annoying as a DD player - they seem more accurate than German 2ndaries or IJN 2ndaries. (if there are fewer of them), and I'm wondering if that's just my perception, or if they really are more accurate.

The one complaint I'd heard is that US 5" secondaries have significantly lower fire chance than equivalent ones on KM and IJN BBs. Looking at the stats, that seem correct, and I'm wondering why.

Edited by EAnybody

Members
879 posts
9,098 battles
2 hours ago, EAnybody said:

Bismarck doesn't like to be up-tiered.  FDG is a really good ship, but takes a lot of damage so some people hate it still.  If the same Cap't is going all the way to GK, you can spec early into concealment, fire prevention, supt and adrenaline rush - none of these are bad choices and are standard GK specs. 

Members
879 posts
9,098 battles

Got my MO this past weekend, this ship is a beast. Had a Fletcher really bugging me, he was at his max range because of my speed so having a lot of trouble hitting me anymore- meanwhile i kept chunking him down with overpens until he had to back off. 

[PT73]
Members
21 posts

Unbelievable AA on this monster - for the first time I can stop looking over my shoulder ....air strike shredder. Really nice upgrade from Colorado! Seems tougher than the Iowa?

Edited by Solomo

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles
22 minutes ago, Solomo said:

Unbelievable AA on this monster - for the first time I can stop looking over my shoulder ....air strike shredder. Really nice upgrade from Colorado! Seems tougher than the Iowa?

NC and Alabama don't leave their sides exposed nearly as long as the Iowa because they are shorter and turn faster.  They are all fun ships, and to a good degree "no fly zones," but Iowa and Missouri are not the easiest BB's to play (for me, at least) because taking broadsides is really punishing.

Members
4,177 posts
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:17 PM, geser98 said:

And this is the secret of the US line.  It teaches you to play BBs correctly which can then be used on the other lines.  US BBs are the best jack of all trade BBs in the game.  Can take a hit, and dish it out with good AA.  

Members
705 posts
10,526 battles

In ranked I have been getting a lot of 20K salvo damage on my NC from Bismark salvos mostly, and my return damage with AP is typically 5K damage due to dispersion and what not. The most damage in a singles salvo against the BM was 12K damage with AP, but not common. So I stay at range with them (15km min) as much as possible early in the battle. At a cap, they sail in bow on to you so they can drive you out with secondaries, which will happen. I'm an average 55K damage per match player. NA stats show NC towards the bottom for ranked battles

On the other hand, I gave a North Carolina in ranked yesterday 40K damage in one broadside salvo at 14 km. They were stopped, starting to back up behind an island. They were pre-occupied with a DD.

The most feared guns in ranked are from Amagi.

Alabama is a hard target to pin down in ranked, not as large, turns and stops/starts quicker.

Edited by Ericson38