You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

All DD whining needs to end right the F now!

166 comments in this topic

[TMS]
Members
2,467 posts
25,192 battles
10 hours ago, Shadeylark said:

Honestly I'm gonna call b.s. on the claims that this is the norm.

2-3 seems the norm at t8+  with how common bbs ate, a Missouri is a given... but with how rare cruisers are, finding 3 enemy cruisers at all is rare, and usually they're a brit cruiser (who 9 out f 10 times will be packing smoke instead of radar), a German cruiser (and hydro is NOT equivalent to radar), and after that maybe an American or Russian cruiser with radar.

Radar is NOT as common as dd mains make it out to be... there's a whole host of cognitive biases that make it seem common, of which I can list the once I'm home n off my phone, but I assure you, the least played class of ships is not as common as you think it is.

I have had more T10 battles than you have had total battles and yes i have had plenty of games where there are 5 radar ships on a side and then you have to add the acoustics, and many times i have been dead because of radar from a ship i never seen hiding behind an island. the last game where it happen was  when a radar ship was hiding behind the rocks on B 4 blocks references in from the E line, he was not spotted for 95% of the game not even last know position on the mini map, only right at the end when they had 900 points did he came out from hiding and finally got spotted, and he was radaring B and C caps from his position and he was constantly having smoke provided. i died at F 7 reference blocks in.

camp.png

Edited by Final8ty

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,594 posts
15 hours ago, Shadeylark said:

Maybe not... but we all know games aren't won based on the effectiveness of individuals but rather on the effectiveness of teams.

If dds focused more on being team players than on boosting their individual stats they'd realize that prioritizing spotting enemies and smoking friends is such a force multiplier that they'd boost their individual win rate exponentially.

And by the way, when every other class is told to prioritize some singular aspect of their ship (AA and Dd hunting for cruisers, tanking all incoming damage for bbs, providing air cover for cvs) I don't think it's particularly unfair to demand dd drivers stop playing the lone wolf at the expense of the rest of the team.

This guy gets it.

I freely admitted I suck as a DD player having had no experience.

I also pointed out the stupidity of people farming damage with DDs.

I played to WIN.  I spotted.  I smoked allies.  I contested caps.   I did all the things that as a BB/CA player I WISH DDs would do... and I got a fantastic win rate.

Playing like that, instead of sitting in smoke spamming made it VERY EASY even for an inexperienced DD player like myself to influence the outcome of the game and get a ridiculous win rate.

Destroyers are easy mode when played correctly.  I didn't get carried.. I helped the team win by actually playing to the objectives, not being a retarded teenager who only knows how to mash the fire button.

If after reading my OP you called me out for doing low damage, you're the problem with your DD play.  Uninstall.

My battleship stats are "odd" because I play the same way.  I'm aggressive and I play to win.  I don't sit back and farm damage.  The result is I have lower damage and survival rate, but higher win rate.  Makes perfect sense..... but not to idiots who sit in the back with their battleships barely moving, but just mashing the fire button over and over like a trained monkey.

[TMS]
Members
2,467 posts
25,192 battles
7 hours ago, Scots_Ronin said:

Radar - hydro - gun bloom - torp nerfs - smoke nerfs....  Now, who can tell me how many DD buffs there have been during all these? (One that affects just a single boat don't count...because these impacted the entire line.)

Secondly, I'm all for patience.  Waiting to cap until you know where the radar ugliness will manifest.  But usually your team will start the chat-screaming; DD's need to spot, DDs need to cap, DDs are cowards (self-edited, because we all know that's not what gets said) DD's on our team suck, DDs are not doing their job....  Where's the patience?  Where's the teamwork?  Where's the joy in being subjected to that?

OP is out to lunch, but +1 for the trolling, if indeed trolling it was.  I think he figured his deep insight would illuminate the DD-mains dark thoughts and show us the way....but no, he got jumped on hard and has nothing further to say.

Happens all the time that when im aware of the radar ships i keep away and get bitched at for not capping even though the radar ships have all the caps covered or there are ships in caps that im no match for, but they still want you to go in regardless while they hang back while it clear there are red ships on the caps as if you can just sail in and take it, they say all that even when the first ship to die right at the start of the match was our Kagero, he got radard. they don't focus the radar ships even when they are spotted because they make very little difference to them personally as they are spotted themselves most of the time so the radar ship is no more threat to them than any other ship.

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles
59 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

I have had more T10 battles than you have had total battles and yes i have had plenty of games where there are 5 radar ships on a side and then you have to add the acoustics, and many times i have been dead because of radar from a ship i never seen hiding behind an island. the last game where it happen was  when a radar ship was hiding behind the rocks on B 4 blocks references in from the E line, he was not spotted for 95% of the game not even last know position on the mini map, only right at the end when they had 900 points did he came out from hiding and finally got spotted, and he was radaring B and C caps from his position and he was constantly having smoke provided. i died at F 7 reference blocks in.

camp.png

your anecdotal evidence not withstanding... the numbers don't back up your assertion that radar is that common at high tier.  at t10 only 1 radar ship even appears in the top 10 most commonly played ships, and its number 5, lagging behind the top 4 by close to 30%.  at t9 its almost as bad, with only 2 radar ships appearing in the top 10 most commonly played ships.  the balti at number 4, and the mizo at number 8.  radar is simply not as common as you, in spite of your large number of battles, perceive it to be.

but there is an explanation for why your perception, false as it is, being what it is.  confirmation bias, belief perseverance, the irrational primacy effect, and a whole host of other cognitive biases.  the reasons you perceive radar to be so common are the same reasons people tend to remember all the bad things that happen to them while forgetting the good things.

Edited by Shadeylark
  • Cool 1

[TMS]
Members
2,467 posts
25,192 battles
9 minutes ago, Shadeylark said:

your anecdotal evidence not withstanding... the numbers don't back up your assertion that radar is that common at high tier.  only 1 radar ship even appears in the top 10 most commonly played ships, and its number 5, lagging behind the top 4 by close to 30%.  at t9 its even worse, with the only radar ship in the top 10 most commonly played ships coming in at number 8, lagging behind the top played ship by almost 75%.

but there is an explanation for why your perception, false as it is, being what it is.  confirmation bias, belief perseverance, the irrational primacy effect, and a whole host of other cognitive biases.

i dont care what your numbers say because the stats also include when no radar was even in the game, no different to my DD play being the lowest percentage of my battles but 90% of my games this year have been DD, but someone seeing 20% DD will think off the bat you do not  play much DD.

Edited by Final8ty

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles
1 minute ago, Final8ty said:

i dont care what your numbers say because the stats also include when no radar was even in the game, no different to my DD play being the lowest percentage of my battles but 90% of my games this year have been DD, but someone seeing 20% DD will think off the bat you do play much DD.

highlighted the exact part of your response that destroys your credibility.

this is a textbook example of the cognitive bias of belief perseverance.  the post hoc reasoning you tack on to "qualify" your position is just further evidence of your irrationality, and consequently, your disqualification (in spite of your large number of battles played) to make a reasoned and objective judgement as to the state of the game's balance.

or, to put it in more familiar terms... you just basically did the WoWs equivalent of yelling "FAKE NEWS" while sticking your fingers in your ears and squeezing your eyes shut in response to factual evidence that doesn't purport with your preconceived notions. 

Edited by Shadeylark

[TMS]
Members
2,467 posts
25,192 battles
10 hours ago, Shadeylark said:

highlighted the exact part of your response that destroys your credibility.

this is a textbook example of the cognitive bias of belief perseverance.  the post hoc reasoning you tack on to "qualify" your position is just further evidence of your irrationality, and consequently, your disqualification (in spite of your large number of battles played) to make a reasoned and objective judgement as to the state of the game's balance.

See my sig and see my Battles under my avatar, see the disparity, you are too busy looking at numbers and not being in the thing you are talking about, now i must go back to my battles and i will agree to disagree based on my own experience, 6 on our team and 5 on the other team in the next pic, i could not get near a cap all game..

worldofradar.png

radar2.png

Edited by Final8ty

[DUCC]
Members
2,018 posts
7,110 battles

There's really no evidence to support your claim. Across the board, CV, BB and CA carry higher WR than DD.

Here are my WR for each class. CV 62.21%, BB 57.72%, CA 56.61%, DD 55%. Now don't you find it odd that a DD unicum wins more in CV and BB despite performing worse on average? And not just by a slim margin, but by 2.7~7.2%? I perform similarly in CA; why do I have a 1.6% advantage?

And before you accuse me of farming damage, please consider that I average 10 and 30k more in CA and BB respectively.

Edited by awildseaking

[Y0L0]
Members
9,738 posts
12,903 battles
6 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

This guy gets it.

I freely admitted I suck as a DD player having had no experience.

I also pointed out the stupidity of people farming damage with DDs.

I played to WIN.  I spotted.  I smoked allies.  I contested caps.   I did all the things that as a BB/CA player I WISH DDs would do... and I got a fantastic win rate.

Playing like that, instead of sitting in smoke spamming made it VERY EASY even for an inexperienced DD player like myself to influence the outcome of the game and get a ridiculous win rate.

Destroyers are easy mode when played correctly.  I didn't get carried.. I helped the team win by actually playing to the objectives, not being a retarded teenager who only knows how to mash the fire button.

If after reading my OP you called me out for doing low damage, you're the problem with your DD play.  Uninstall.

My battleship stats are "odd" because I play the same way.  I'm aggressive and I play to win.  I don't sit back and farm damage.  The result is I have lower damage and survival rate, but higher win rate.  Makes perfect sense..... but not to idiots who sit in the back with their battleships barely moving, but just mashing the fire button over and over like a trained monkey.

meh,  I have highest number of game in DD with best captains yet I have lowest WR ,  DMG, survival rate as well as Kill  with DD   while I have highest with BB .  only thing DD does well is    XP.    while I played my BB the least with least skilled captain and ,  I perform best in it.     DDs are the most inconsistent class to perform well with.               You only have 29 match in DD while nearly 2000 match in BB and   frankly  until you have real sample size as varied as your BB,  it isn't as comparable.        sample size of 29 makes it such that your statistical error  to be very large and your DD WR cannot be reasonably compared.     it is interesting that   most of your matches are in   Premium BBs, which tend to over perform anyway , but still  would consider you to be a decent medium tier BB player.            

Good player will have high WR,  high dmg and reasonably high survival rate.     this is because they know how to maximize their firepower while maintaining a reasonable risks,   it is long journey to that level of skill.      

[R-R-R]
Members
1,024 posts
8,050 battles
2 hours ago, awildseaking said:

There's really no evidence to support your claim. Across the board, CV, BB and CA carry higher WR than DD.

Here are my WR for each class. CV 62.21%, BB 57.72%, CA 56.61%, DD 55%. Now don't you find it odd that a DD unicum wins more in CV and BB despite performing worse on average? And not just by a slim margin, but by 2.7~7.2%? I perform similarly in CA; why do I have a 1.6% advantage?

And before you accuse me of farming damage, please consider that I average 10 and 30k more in CA and BB respectively.

You probably need to look deeper into different categories of DDs.

I have very high winrate in USN and IJN DDs but only slightly above 50% in RU DDs. Because RU DDs have a style closer to cruisers and are not as good as a cap contester or a spotter for the team.

[R-R-R]
Members
1,024 posts
8,050 battles

Honestly, I kinda agree with the OP.  I also got a bit tired of DD players whining about everything and also after seeing majority of them being so bad in actual games.

DDs are by no means easy to play, especially in high tiers where there are multiple radar ships. They have a pretty high skill ceiling.

However, the different influence a good or bad DD player can bring upon a game is enormous. You can have a very good influence on the game with most DDs in the game.

I really hope the game can improve its mechanics on rewarding DDs for spotting and cap contesting. There should be more reward incentive and visual tell of reward to encourage DDs to play correctly.

Edited by Exciton8964
  • Cool 1

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles
13 minutes ago, Exciton8964 said:

DDs are by no means easy to play, especially in high tiers where there are multiple radar ships. They have a pretty high skill ceiling.

However, the different influence a good or bad DD player can bring upon a game is enormous. You can have a very good influence on the game with most DDs in the game.

I really hope the game can improve its mechanics on rewarding DDs for spotting and cap contesting. There should be more reward incentive and visual tell of reward to encourage DDs to play correctly.

I agree with this

however, I see as many bad BBs and cruisers as I see bad DDs. A DD doing his job but not being supported is not going to go far.

I was in a game earlier in a Z52. Spotted 3 radar ships. continuously. 10 mins later in the game, all their radars are still up while all their BBs are at half HP ! 

I can tell you that when you spot for 10 mins, cannot use your guns, keep being radared and shot at, while your team is farming BBs, you really start to get annoyed.

End of game. 90K damage, spotted 6+ ships at all time, 6th on XP table ! Yeah, not too happy despite the win.

Oh, almost forgot. -1 Karma for pointing out that their radars, despite spotted, were still up after 10 mins. Worded in something like: "3 radars spotted from start, 10 mins later, their 3 radars are still up. Seriously !"

Edited by PicknChew
  • Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
4,774 posts

Why?

This ship is easy!

No it's not, your one is!

No, your one is......and no returns!

You're being silly!

No, you're being silly!

You're more silly!

Why? :Smile_facepalm:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[TMS]
Members
2,467 posts
25,192 battles
On 18/10/2017 at 9:06 AM, PicknChew said:

I agree with this

however, I see as many bad BBs and cruisers as I see bad DDs. A DD doing his job but not being supported is not going to go far.

I was in a game earlier in a Z52. Spotted 3 radar ships. continuously. 10 mins later in the game, all their radars are still up while all their BBs are at half HP ! 

I can tell you that when you spot for 10 mins, cannot use your guns, keep being radared and shot at, while your team is farming BBs, you really start to get annoyed.

End of game. 90K damage, spotted 6+ ships at all time, 6th on XP table ! Yeah, not too happy despite the win.

Oh, almost forgot. -1 Karma for pointing out that their radars, despite spotted, were still up after 10 mins. Worded in something like: "3 radars spotted from start, 10 mins later, their 3 radars are still up. Seriously !"

I was playing standard battle on the hotspot map, 5 cruisers on our side spent all game H.E spamming the bbs until 4 of them l died to the bbs, i was constantly spotting the dds closing in on the base and walling torps into out base and killing our BBs, not once did they shoot at the DDs when the one that i was fighting in my dd that was only 4km away who just killed a BB and was hiding just around the corner which i went around to flush him out and i called for help and was ignored and he was only 4km from us but the cruisers were still H>Eing the bbs across the map, the Khab flanked from high up and was only 6km away and he had only 1500HP left i highlighted him as well but ignored. he still came round and  gunned down a weak cruiser and took me out in my shima as i was weak from try to fighting all 3 of there dds throughout the game with no help, i managed to kill there shima but the other 2 dds lived, there cruisers killed our other 2 dds early on in the game, we lost a game that could on been easily won, i was told it was just a game so chill.

Other names removed

potatoes.png

Edited by Final8ty

Members
5,202 posts
4 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Why?

This ship is easy!

No it's not, your one is!

No, your one is......and no returns!

You're being silly!

No, you're being silly!

You're more silly!

Why? :Smile_facepalm:

Yep. OP just wanted to stir people up. 

He succeeded. 

[USCC2]
Members
4,774 posts
17 minutes ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Yep. OP just wanted to stir people up. 

He succeeded. 

I guess so. :Smile_smile: Although a thread complaining about others....complaining, is always a strange topic.

At least some have been able to discuss some areas without resorting to the one sided rant the OP started the thread with. :Smile_honoring: