You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DDGPhalanx

Two quick Captain Skill questions

5 comments in this topic

[O_S_D]
Members
119 posts
4,194 battles

1) What kind of setup would make "Torpedo Acceleration" appropriate? I've focused mostly on US DD's, and the payoff of range isn't worth the speed boost to me, but is it valuable on IJN DD's (or other nations/classes), and if so, what other skills should I couple it with? 

2) Does Adrenaline Rush apply to CV plane servicing time? 

Thanks! :cap_book:

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,831 posts
11,525 battles

1) Torpedo acceleration is good for CVs, especially those that have lots of torpedo bombers. There are also a few DDs that it works well for like the Gearing since the range of the torps is long enough to take the range hit.

2) I think so, but it doesn't really seem like a good skill pick for a CV.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,484 battles
10 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

... it doesn't really seem like a good skill pick for a CV.

My general thinking is, if you're taking fire as a CV, you're already hosed.  Take skills that will work for you all the time.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,124 posts
7,655 battles

For surface ships, Torpedo Acceleration is best used on ships where the loss of range still does not hurt their ability to launch their fish from stealth.  It's important to keep Radar ranges in mind when selecting this skill.   This skill is very desirable for Japanese Carriers too as it lets them more easily catch destroyers with a cross-drop.  Arguments could be made for using it on Enterprise and Saipan commanders as well, though USN carriers in general make less use of it.

Yes, Adrenaline Rush affects all forms of attack -- Main Battery, Secondary Battery, Torpedo Reload, Aircraft servicing time.

• Cool 1

Members
6,908 posts
7,508 battles

As the Mouse said, TA is only viable for ships where the increase in speed remains balanced with torpedo range. If you can't keep the range at at least 8km, then to me it's not viable. It's a ship by ship thing, not a nation or class thing specifically.

Yes, AR affects all weapon reloading in the game, however, for CV's it's a wasted 2 points, unless, and I stress unless, you have a ship like the Graf Zepplin, or possibly the Kaga, and you actually intend to fight your ship, much more the Zepplin, rather than the Kaga.