Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TerraTiger

Training Ships - Looking For Input

7 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
3,981 battles

Hey guys. First post for me on the forum, and I am basically looking for some help and guidance on a few things if you will take the time to respond. I am still learning the "intricacies" of the game, and it has taken me a long time to ferret out what I need to be doing with certain ships, and learning best practices on handling and maneuvering.

First of all, I would love to have some input from you veterans on the best "training" ships. I dont really understand "what" makes a good training ship, and why you would pick one over another. I typically run IJN destroyers, mostly the Minekazi, Akatsuki, Fubuki, and Yugumo. On the German side I mostly run the Maas.USN, I only have a Simms.

I dont run Battleships that often, because I am terrible with them so far, but I am still trying to get better. I do slightly better with Cruisers, but only because I can run off faster where needed. Lol.

Of these I go with the Scharnhorst, The Belfast, and the Atago for the most part.

So what ships make the best trainer, and why? I dont mind buying ships to support the game, but want to buy the ones that will provide the best benefit. And by "Training" ships, I am assuming that these are best to ramp up captain skills if I am correct. Im sure there is a thread about this on the forum, but I cant seem to find the best one that is relevant.

Heres another one: What actions provide the most "XP" as far as in game performance is concerned? Destroying ships? Damage? Victories? Capping? I can seem to find any place that tells me that a team victory gives me more XP or credits. But then again, I dont have time to read everything on the forum, which is extensive.

For the "chat" function, if I push "enter" and start to type, does both teams see what I am typing? Is there a way to chat that only my team mates see the chat? Or is the default "everyone" sees what I type. Is so, what is the command to do either chat to all, or just my team.

Next up is "on screen icons", and I only have a couple questions on these, particularly ones that pop up that make me go "Hmmm'.

I see one icon that says location, that is white with an arrow that always points to the left. I am assuming this is radar of some sort, and is being initiated by my team mate?

Second one is the one that says "Detected, shows an icon that looks like an actual radar screen with a few "blips" on the screen, ans I am assuming that this is radar that is active by the enemy. Correct? I am assuming that I should run, and get away from a particular area when this shows up, or do I assume that this tells the enemy that I am in the vicinity, without particularly them knowing "exactly" where I am. Either way, i go to ultra high alert when this one pops up since i am usually running a DD and am squishy.

I have learned to not stay in smoke and snipe from there, but use it to get myself out of trouble, or smoke an ally that needs a hand. I feel that my progress has been a lot better running a DD for the most part, and have gone from getting my head  handed to me in the beginning to at the very least being the last man standing or close to that. I dont know if my stats look good or not at this point, and will be looking to get involved in clan warfare in the near future. Maybe I could get one of you old guys to look at my stats and tell me if I look like a player that would be a good addition to a clan that needs a dedicated DD captain for the most part. I really dont know. Would love to hear your thoughts on all of this.

See you all on the water!

Edited by TerraTiger

Members
3,729 posts
15,109 battles

I used Yorck as a semi-training ship to get better at managing turret traverse. Other than that, you train with the ship you want to get better at.

Edited by m373x

[WOLF5]
Members
1,542 posts
2,154 battles

Not a DD main, but I'll chip in

A training ship is a premium ship that trains your captain up. Premiums allow moving of captains without penalty, and get more XP, so the captain gets more points. They also generate credits and XP. I'm not sure what the premium IJN DDs are, so I'll let others help you there. But buy ships that will be in your area (class and nation). For me, the Missouri is a great training ship, but an IJN premium DD, not so much.

Don't just buy random premiums. Buy the ones you think you'll enjoy, and match your line ships.

Perfectly fine not to be good in BBs and Cruisers, you don't have be good at every ship class, I don't like DDs, but love my BBs. Play what you enjoy. Don't worry about the rest.

XP is tricky, and depends on the ship type you're playing. For DDs, it capping and killing ships (but remember, capping wins games). Winning gives everyone on the winning team a bonus to base XP, so winning is good. Credits are based on the XP you earn.

Located is not something your team-mate did. That means that you are the closest ship to someone on the enemy team with the Radio position finding skill. What this skill does is shows the general direction of the nearest enemy ship, spotted or unspotted. The located icon means you're the closest ship, and he knows the general direction you're in. It's a controversial skill, most used on DDs to give warning of other DDs. Some people also torp based off of it, so be aware of that. However, they cannot see you, that still works as usual.

Radar icon means you're spotted by radar or hydro, and yes, it's time to run, because most likely the reds are sending you little care packages. You are spotted, and everyone can see you. Any time that detected icon shows up, you're spotted, and they know exactly where you are.

For Clans, I don't know. You're not good enough for the highly competitive ones for sure. But there several clans that will work with you and help you improve, you should probably take a look around the clan section if you're interested.

If you have specific questions, do a forum search and see what comes up. If that doesn't help, ask, that's what the forums are for.

Hope I was helpful.

[-K-]
Members
5,307 posts
9,134 battles
12 minutes ago, TerraTiger said:

Hey guys. First post for me on the forum, and I am basically looking for some help and guidance on a few things if you will take the time to respond. I am still learning the "intricacies" of the game, and it has taken me a long time to ferret out what I need to be doing with certain ships, and learning best practices on handling and maneuvering.

First of all, I would love to have some input from you veterans on the best "training" ships. I dont really understand "what" makes a good training ship, and why you would pick one over another. I typically run IJN destroyers, mostly the Minekazi, Akatsuki, Fubuki, and Yugumo. On the German side I mostly run the Maas.USN, I only have a Simms.

I dont run Battleships that often, because I am terrible with them so far, but I am still trying to get better. I do slightly better with Cruisers, but only because I can run off faster where needed. Lol.

Of these I go with the Scharnhorst, The Belfast, and the Atago for the most part.

So what ships make the best trainer, and why? I dont mind buying ships to support the game, but want to buy the ones that will provide the best benefit. And by "Training" ships, I am assuming that these are best to ramp up captain skills if I am correct. Im sure there is a thread about this on the forum, but I cant seem to find the best one that is relevant.

Depends on what you define as "training ships".  Are you using them to level up captains, or do you want to know what ships to use to best learn the ropes in?

Heres another one: What actions provide the most "XP" as far as in game performance is concerned? Destroying ships? Damage? Victories? Capping? I can seem to find any place that tells me that a team victory gives me more XP or credits. But then again, I dont have time to read everything on the forum, which is extensive.

Premium ships will earn more XP than tech tree ships.  Playing objectives, like capping, generates a lot of XP.  Damage rolled, damage tanked, and spotting for your team also provide good XP.  Lastly, battling and doing well against higher tier ships helps out a lot too.

For the "chat" function, if I push "enter" and start to type, does both teams see what I am typing? Is there a way to chat that only my team mates see the chat? Or is the default "everyone" sees what I type. Is so, what is the command to do either chat to all, or just my team.

By default, the green font in chat is only between you and your team.  Yellow font is between you and your division mates.  And white font is seen by everyone, including the enemy team.  You hit enter and then tab to switch between them.

Next up is "on screen icons", and I only have a couple questions on these, particularly ones that pop up that make me go "Hmmm'.

I see one icon that says location, that is white with an arrow that always points to the left. I am assuming this is radar of some sort, and is being initiated by my team mate? 

This means you are being radio located by an enemy ship equipped with said commander skill.  It gives them a general direction bearing on you, but not the exact location.

Second one is the one that says "Detected, shows an icon that looks like an actual radar screen with a few "blips" on the screen, ans I am assuming that this is radar that is active by the enemy. Correct? I am assuming that I should run, and get away from a particular area when this shows up, or do I assume that this tells the enemy that I am in the vicinity, without particularly them knowing "exactly" where I am. Either way, i go to ultra high alert when this one pops up since i am usually running a DD and am squishy.

This means you are being detected by radar or hydroacoustic search.  You are completely visible for the duration of the consumable within its detection range, regardless of smoke or terrain obscuring view.

I have learned to not stay in smoke and snipe from there, but use it to get myself out of trouble, or smoke an ally that needs a hand. I feel that my progress has been a lot better running a DD for the most part, and have gone from getting my head  handed to me in the beginning to at the very least being the last man standing or close to that. I dont know if my stats look good or not at this point, and will be looking to get involved in clan warfare in the near future. Maybe I could get one of you old guys to look at my stats and tell me if I look like a player that would be a good addition to a clan that needs a dedicated DD captain for the most part. I really dont know. Would love to hear your thoughts on all of this.

See you all on the water!

See above.

[PROJX]
Members
976 posts
15,781 battles

Hey TerraTiger! - Firstly welcome and hope you have a long & prosperous time on the seas!

So many questions (which is good) - hope some of this helps:

Firstly - over the past year, I've posted quite a few forum articles that are all linked from WOWS Enjoyment - List of Forum Articles and Guides.  These posting cover the following subjects:

• Tactical Tips - Shooting (where to shoot what ships under what cricumstances with what), Maneuvering (how to enhance your survivability by maneuvering & tactics like kiting, flanking, etc), Brawling 101
  • Strategic Tips - Cap Strategies & Lemming Trains, Lanchesters Law & Tactics for WOWS
  • Acceleration of Rewards Tips - Faster 19 pt Capts, Ships to have to participate in Game Freebies, Executing Campaigns in a reduced number of games/play time

WRT Training ships - it sounds like you are looking for Premiums for Captains Trainers and you're actually playing ships up to Tier 8 from your posting.  You may also want to look at the forum article re: getting your 19 pt. captains faster if Commander Training is an impetus for a Training ship - this article shows you how to align your premiums to get more 19 pt captains to generate Free Commanders XP faster (possibly reducing the number of actual trainers you have to buy).  Given your tiers, my suggestions would be to keep in mind the following:

Align your trainers w/ the nation lines/types of ships you like to play first & foremost.  After that, some good trainers that are both fun (i.e. you won't get bored playing them).

DDs: 

Leningrad (7) - Great speed, very fun, decent Russian rail guns for gunfighting from medium to longer ranges (turret turn is little slow for really close in), 8 km torps that reload decently quickly

Kamikaze/Kami-R/Fujin (5) - Unfortunately these aren't sold & are currently reward ships (e.g. Clash of Fire) - The pre-nerfed Minekaze but w/ 7 km torps that is a very good ship for it's tier.

The Sims is OK as a trainer but not as enjoyable as the other two and has very slow torps (49 kts) and unfortunately the German DDs don't have a Premium as yet.   What I've done w/ German DDs is when I had to populate multiple new German Captains, I put them in a G-101 or one of the early torpedo boat type DDs until I got them to 6 pts, then transferred them to the higher tier DD.

CL/CAs:

The Atago is a good CA to train Cruiser skippers for the IJN Line (as you already know).  Also, any ARP ships you own can be used as CL/CA/BB trainers for the IJN

Unfortunately, the US has no good CL/CA as a trainer (Indianapolis is not recommended), but in a pinch, you can put a CL/CA commander in a BB trainers to rank up your Commander. 

Similarly, tho the German line has the Prinz Eugen, she is essentially a Hipper so you may not want to spend on this ship when a Tirpitz or Scharnhorst will do you nicely to train a Cruiser skipper. 

France is also similar, you can purchase the De Grasse when it comes on sale (i.e not always available), but you can get away with either purchasing her or the Dunkerque which can also decently train your CL/CA Captain.  In my case, I felt the De Grasse was similar enough to the tech-tree ships that I wanted to use the BB (which also prepared me for the release of the French BB lines, probably next year)

Mikhail Kutuzov (8) - Best and borderline OP CL for training the Russian CL line - good AA, when you take hydro coupled w/ its smoke, becomes a fire spamming monster from smoke

Belfast (7) - Most OP due to smoke, hydro & radar in combination.  One thing that makes this ship odd as a trainer is that the Belfast also has access to HE whereas the tech-tree ships only use AP.   As a result, you can train a UK Captain in the Belfast, optimized for AP use as per the tech-tree line, but you may want to train up a separate UK commander specifically for the Belfast to maximize her potential w/ HE relevant Captains Skills.

BBs:

As with the Cruiser Lines, if you want to save a bit in a pinch, you can buy one Premium that can be used to train your BB/CL/CA captains and you shouldn't suffer too much from doing this.

Mutsu (6) or Kii (8) - Both good ships, both also not always on sale.  It primarily depends on what tier you want your premiums to play at and the T8s will earn you more silver (potentially) than T6s.  The flip side is that a higher tier trainer, also benefits more from a higher level Commander to make the best use of her.

Nelson (7) - A Free XP ship is always a good option for a Trainer.  The Hood is a bit of an OK, but not a fantastic damage dealing ship.  The Warspite is very similar to QE in the tech tree w/ buffed turret traverse and weaker AA (but if you like T5, it is a good ship)

Scharnhorst (7) or Tirpitz (8) - Both great ships - the Scharn in particular has better matchmaking and allows you a brawling or AA configuration to be played.  The Tirpitz is a Bismarck w/ Torpedoes and insane secondary ranges of 11+ KM.  You can't go wrong with either ship, but the Tirp will be uptiered into T10 matches quite often. 

Missouri (9) or Alabama (8) - Once again, if you can swing it the Free XP Missouri is the best option because you have insane credit earning and since both ships play like really big cruisers anyway, you can easily train a Cruiser Captain in either ship as well.  At T9 Missouri has the best earning potential, but if 750K FreeXP is not in the cards, the Alabama plays as a slightly more maneuverable, more resistant to torpedo hits version of the North Carolina, which is excellent at T8 and uptiers well.

Dunkerque (6) - Not really a great BB, but is pretty fun & unique in playstyle & is suitable for training both the French Cruiser Commanders and the French BB lines when it is released next year.

My own port from this list includes:  Leningrad, Kami-R, Sims, 10 ARP/Dragon Ships, Kutuzov, Belfast, Mutsu, Nelson, Scharnhorst, Tirpitz, Missouri, Dunkerque

XP Model

The following details are relevant if you're concerned about what earns you the most XP.

• Damage dealt to ships
    • XP from damage dealt is a percentage of the overall ship's health (i.e. 5K damage to a DD is worth more than 5K  damage to a BB)
    • XP from damage dealt is greater if you're a lower tier ship inflicting damage on a higher tier opponent than vice versa.  Finally, some good news if you're worried about being uptiered
  • Capping generates very large XP points
  • Defending caps (i.e. hitting enemies in your cap to rest the cap counter) generates significant XP points
  • Spotting enemy ships that are shot at & hit by your team generates points

Hope this helps answers a number of your questions and helps!

Edited by hangglide42

Members
2 posts
3,981 battles

Thanks for being so helpful guys, and I really appreciate the valuable input! So I am back to the drawing board based on what I have learned,and hopefully I will get better. Thanks for the link to the guide Hang Glide. Haven't come across that yet, and it looks very helpful. Pouring through it and watching videos.....

Sign in to follow this