You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

POLL: Ship Buffs

Which ship(s) are most in need of a buff to be competitive?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Destroyers:

• Nicholas (USN T5)
    • Mutsuki (IJN T5)
    • Shimakaze (IJN T10)
    • T-22 (KM T5)
    • Gnevny (Soviet T6)
    • Other (please specify)
    • None
  2. 2. Cruisers:

• Omaha (USN T5)
    • Aoba (IJN T6)
    • Karlsruhe (KM T4)
    • Nurnberg (KM T6)
    • Danae (RN T4)
    • Emerald (RN T5)
    • Shchors (Soviet T7)
    • La Galissionaire (French T6)
    • New Orleans (USN T8)
    • Admiral Hipper (KM T8)
    • Other (please specify)
    • None
  3. 3. Battleships:

• South Carolina (USN T3)
    • New York (USN T5)
    • Colorado (USN T7)
    • Kawachi (IJN T3)
    • Myogi (IJN T4)
    • Izumo (IJN T9)
    • FDG (KM T9)
    • King George V (RN T7)
    • Other (please specify)
    • None
  4. 4. Carriers:

• Independence (USN T6)
    • Ranger (USN T7)
    • Lexington (USN T8)
    • Other (please specify)
    • None
  5. 5. Premium Ships:

• Marblehead (USN T5 CL)
    • Ishizuchi (IJN T4 BB)
    • Campbeltown (RN T3 DD)
    • Hood (RN T7 BB)
    • Aurora (Soviet T3 CL)
    • Krasny Krym (Soviet (T5 CL)
    • Perth (Commonwealth T6 CL)
    • Prinz Eugen (KM T8 CA)
    • Other (please specify)
    • None

50 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
5,270 posts
9,104 battles

Howdy captains,

Just seeing a few threads on here this morning regarding ship buffs and nerfs and with the continuous power creep brought on by new tech tree lines, it made me wonder what ships the community thinks need the most love to make them truly competitive again.  As a preliminary guideline, I only picked ships that are perceived by many as weak at their tier, so feel free to add any suggestions to it you may feel are justified. 

Feel free to add a recommended improvement for the ship(s) you pick.

Edited by Ace_04

[REVY]
Members
951 posts
7,515 battles

the fact you could only choose one for options 4 and 5 threw me.

Also You might have had an option for 'none need a buff'.

That said.... I'm not really surprised the Colorado is the number 1 BB for a buff. Problem is I don't think it needs it. It's got it's proper speed and the guns are pretty accurate, not Nagato accurate but good enough to pull in good damage.

I think the Tier 5 and 6 are the ones in need of a buff, mostly because they seem to always be getting low tiered against 7 and 8s. But that isn't necessarily a ship issue, more of an MM issue.

Members
1,458 posts
12,318 battles

Put other on the cruiser because the New Orleans in my opinion is the worst cruiser for it's tier in the game.  And the overall stats for the NO seem to show that (ave damage and win rate).  Really is not competitive at tier 8, and really needs to be moved down a tier.

Cambletown needs something done, while nice torps, long reload, only 3 torps per side and just awful guns means that it is at a disadvantage most games (especially DD heavy games when you lose concealment)

[SF-A]
Members
2,893 posts
5,686 battles

Why would Shchors even be an option here? It's disgusting as is, and that's coming from a skipper without IFHE...

• Cool 1

[SVF]
Beta Testers
28 posts
6,120 battles

In CAs the one that comes to mind as needing buffs - the Admiral Hipper/Prince Eugen.

It's the weakest t8 CA by a long shot and IMO it comes down to the RoF - why it has a 13 second reload is a mystery to me.

[ARMDG]
Members
3,242 posts
1,567 battles

Despite being the worst performing cruisers on the NA server, the New Orleans and Admiral Hipper are missing from the cruisers.

Members
208 posts
2,684 battles
46 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

Put other on the cruiser because the New Orleans in my opinion is the worst cruiser for it's tier in the game.  And the overall stats for the NO seem to show that (ave damage and win rate).  Really is not competitive at tier 8, and really needs to be moved down a tier.

Cambletown needs something done, while nice torps, long reload, only 3 torps per side and just awful guns means that it is at a disadvantage most games (especially DD heavy games when you lose concealment)

6 minutes ago, Sirus_Patton said:

Despite being the worst performing cruisers on the NA server, the New Orleans and Admiral Hipper are missing from the cruisers.

It is possible the New Orleans will get moved down a tier when the USN light cruisers split into a separate line.  Currently the NO is challenging but the recent buffs to reload have really helped her out, if she is moved down a tier she would probably need to be nerfed back slightly.  It may be why they haven't really done much with her lately.  At least that is what I am hoping for.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
47 minutes ago, OstwindFlakpanzer said:

buff all battleships and cruisers.  nerf destroyers.  

LOL

[HINON]
Supertester
19,207 posts
12,733 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I'm not really surprised the Colorado is the number 1 BB for a buff. Problem is I don't think it needs it. It's got it's proper speed and the guns are pretty accurate, not Nagato accurate but good enough to pull in good damage..

While it might not 'need' a buff per se, it does need some adjusting. It doesn't have the hitpoints it should according to its tonnage, but it has an improved heal to 'make up for it'. What I would suggest is giving it some more hitpoints and bringing its heal back in line with the rest of the tree to make the progression from NM -> CO -> NC smoother.

[-K-]
Members
5,270 posts
9,104 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Slayer said:

the fact you could only choose one for options 4 and 5 threw me.

Also You might have had an option for 'none need a buff'.

Fixed now.

1 hour ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Why would Shchors even be an option here? It's disgusting as is, and that's coming from a skipper without IFHE...

Felt bad not really having any Soviet ships to put on there, since they're pretty much all good.  She's the only one I can ever recall people complaining about.

38 minutes ago, Sirus_Patton said:

Added.

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

A lot of these are great suggestions.  Though, some ships are very capable. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,869 posts
5,255 battles

Hipper/Prinz Eugen need heal!

New Orleans needs to drop to Tier 7

Colorado, New York, and South Carolina all need buffs.  Obviously.

KGV needs a secondary buff because reasons.

Members
605 posts
7,221 battles

T22 - 105s when every other DD at that tier has 127+, yeah pass

Emerald - Guns that punch like a wet noodle and more or less has to be played like a DD, perhaps the most frustrating grind of a ship I have experienced, at least it was short-ish

NO - Radar it's only redeeming feature, doesn't have the excellent pen for the tiers she faces unlike Pepsi, accelerated the grind with flags, otherwise would have been very draining.

Colorado - Speed is it's greatest handicap for the maps she sees.  Lucky to hit 17 knots under full maneuvering. Tears of the Community in a Rado, have fun.

Ranger - Purely on reputation, haven't played

Krispy - Purely on reputation, only own Kami and Shinonome.

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

Nice to see Omaha getting some love. 

She actually is a really beautifully balanced boat, but the game is no longer beautifully balanced. In t4-5 she's really powerful.  In t5-7... well, that sucks. She could use a rate of fire increase, or a rudder shift increase, or 7km torpedoes.  Something basically that she can engage BBs with. Darn overperformring BBs and fire spammers. 

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,186 battles

I voted Shima for the DD category. With the F3s and the TA skill on your captain, your fish STILL HAVE ~12 SECOND REACTION TIME. THESE ARE 81 KNOT FISH

[SYN]
Members
14,452 posts
10,446 battles

Mikasa needs something... probably accuracy or longer range secondaries.

Gearing needs far more agility than it currently has. It wouldn't hurt to swap its 40mm bofors with 3"/50 found on DM either.

Members
217 posts
2,039 battles

Surprised South Carolina is not number 1 BB to rework. It's a decent ship for experienced players, but at that tier most people using it are not going to be very experienced.

[-K-]
Members
5,270 posts
9,104 battles
12 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

Nice to see Omaha getting some love. 

She actually is a really beautifully balanced boat, but the game is no longer beautifully balanced. In t4-5 she's really powerful.  In t5-7... well, that sucks. She could use a rate of fire increase, or a rudder shift increase, or 7km torpedoes.  Something basically that she can engage BBs with. Darn overperformring BBs and fire spammers. 

Had a surprising 85k/4 kill game in Omaha on the weekend, in a T7 match of all things.  Got pretty lucky with some RNG battleship salvos missing, but it was fun.

Everyone knows ships like Omaha, Pensacola and Nurnberg are just proverbial punching bags/floating citadels for BB's to eat for lunch.  For Omaha, I don't think she needs a lot to be brought up to snuff.  Maybe a slight reduction in detection range and/or a slight buff to her firing range so she can engage BB's better at a distance.

While we're on the subject of range, let's give Kawachi some love too.  10.9km range on a BB, even at T3, is just abysmal.  Virtually everything else on the map outranges it for main guns, and she doesn't have the armor to really get in close and brawl with ships like Nassau and Iron Duke.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,017 posts
8,240 battles

Shimakaze needs its torp detection corrected. Simply, anyone that gets caught should have only a few seconds to react except w/ hydro and vigilance active. The nerfs didn't undo the campfest at high tiers because the problem is the offensive out-scaling defense ability. If not that, then at least let Shimakaze have a shorter torp reload time.

Cruisers are fine as is. They have their niches where they excel. Even Hipper's long reload is balanced--gives you more time to check BBs aren't aiming at you--and from grinding her, she simply isn't a forgiving ship.

Izumo I wouldn't mind seeing a better MB accuracy, maybe.

Ranger takes so much skill to use effectively vs. Saipan that yes, it could use some love. A 2/1/2 loadout option would help some, but better if WG does the CV rework and balances the lines vs. each other. Lexington is similarly gimped by weak loadouts compared to Shokaku, but again, CV rework first.