You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tigershark87

Question about buying premium ship (Carrier) ~ new player

26 comments in this topic

[TWE]
Members
101 posts
1,219 battles

Hi All, 

I recently started playing World of Warships on recommendation from a friend, and have been enjoying it. I just had a quick question regarding buying a premium ship. 

Right now I have unlocked T6 in my ship tree, but the premium ship is a T8. Do I need to unlock T8 ships in my ship tree, before I can buy & use the T8 premium ship? Or if I buy it .. can I start using it immediately?

Thank you for the help! 

Tiger

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,186 battles

You can buy and play any premium ship you want freely

• Cool 1

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,774 posts
5,809 battles
7 minutes ago, Tigershark87 said:

Hi All, 

I recently started playing World of Warships on recommendation from a friend, and have been enjoying it. I just had a quick question regarding buying a premium ship. 

Right now I have unlocked T6 in my ship tree, but the premium ship is a T8. Do I need to unlock T8 ships in my ship tree, before I can buy & use the T8 premium ship? Or if I buy it .. can I start using it immediately?

Thank you for the help! 

Tiger

You are free to purchase whatever you want without having to unlock anything.

Fair warning however, at tier 8 you are entering a whole new world for a CV and you may find it frustrating. Not to mention there are those who will flame you relentlessly for 'not being experienced enough' to be suddenly thrust into tier 10 battles. You will find T10 AA to be far more dangerous to a T8 CV than T8 AA is to a T6 CV. Many T10 ships are downright unapproachable for a T8. Once you get familiar with the ships a T8 CV can do OK in a T10 match but it can be a painful learning curve.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,101 posts
12,657 battles

You can play it any time after you've purchased it. However, you should think very hard about whether you will be able to play that ship competently without having practice in that line. People WILL get upset with you if you bring a Tier 8 CV and you have no experience playing high tier (or even mid-tier).

If you do it, play a bunch of games in co-op with the ship so you at least know how to manual drop.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,341 posts
14,842 battles

Just to be clear, you are up to T6 in CVs, right?  If so, totally all right to get a T8 CV but I would hold back until you practice strafing and manual drops.  You will be eaten alive by other CVs and AA until you get the hang of who to dodge and who to attack.  Also, a high skill point CV captain is a must at higher levels.  

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,799 posts
7,039 battles

Safer to go for a t7 premium CV if it is your 1st, and if you are still on tier 6 with your tech tree progression. You will have more fun and an easier time learning the ropes/

• Cool 1

Members
4,174 posts

There is no need to unlock a T8 ship to get a T8 premium.  Just be aware that T8 play is different than T6 as you get tossed in with T10 ships and many of them have 1000s of battles under their belt.   You will face a learning curve, and if you are aware of that, then go ahead good luck, and high scoring.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,621 posts
9,014 battles
58 minutes ago, FireAndHEspam said:

You can buy and play any premium ship you want freely

This but being new I highly suggest keeping it in co-op until you have a same or maybe a tier less regular tech tree carrier. Actually this applies to all premiums, know and understand the game play at that tier before venturing into randoms with it.

[TWE]
Members
101 posts
1,219 battles
48 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

Just to be clear, you are up to T6 in CVs, right?  If so, totally all right to get a T8 CV but I would hold back until you practice strafing and manual drops.  You will be eaten alive by other CVs and AA until you get the hang of who to dodge and who to attack.  Also, a high skill point CV captain is a must at higher levels.  

Thanks all for the responses.. this has been extremely helpful! 

Yes I am a T6.. and if I purchase the ship.. my plan would be to spend a ton of time in Coop before even attempting to do a real battle. I will continue to upgrade my captain as well. 

Thanks again! 

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,132 battles

You can by any premium you want.

However, with 49 battles, do you really want to get a T8 CV? Can you even play a T8 CV? You've only played CVs up to T5, and barely any other ship, and your highest tier in the Dunkerque. This might sound mean, but it's true. I don't think you're ready for a T8 battle, you could see T10 AAA. I suggest playing the line up to at least T7 before going premium. Also, Coop is good, but isn't anywhere near the difficulty of a random battle against real opponents.

Also, you play the IJN CVs, but the Enterprise (only T8 premium CV available) is USN. That's a very different play style from the IJN, and the Enterprise is a bit odd even then. Not to mention you'll have to get a brand new captain for the Enterprise. I know you want a premium CV, but maybe waiting a bit would be better. I'd get the Kaga when she's available again if I were you. IJN, and a tier lower. Just some thoughts for you.

BTW, I respect you for starting right in on CVs, they're the hardest ship in the game to master, and those who play them well deserve the great results they get. Maybe one day I'll go with them, but I'll stick to BBs for now.

Edited by AJTP89
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,875 battles

Personally I would not recommend a premium CV unless you're absolutely sure you will wreck face in it.

It's not fun if the other CV curbstomps you all day, not to mention the high price of a CV. Basically, buy at your own risk imo.

360 posts
194 battles
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

I'd get the Kaga when she's available again if I were you.

The Kaga is currently available for purchase in the Premium Shop, and also via the Tech Tree in game.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles
55 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Check out some reviews and videos on the Saipan as it sort of rules the roost at tier VII.

Kaga out performs it at the same tier.  Saipan domination is nothing more than propaganda of salty CV players who got wrecked by AS Saipans that ruin their fun.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles
6 minutes ago, GoldPile said:

Personally I would not recommend a premium CV unless you're absolutely sure you will wreck face in it.

It's not fun if the other CV curbstomps you all day, not to mention the high price of a CV. Basically, buy at your own risk imo.

This.  If you're a new player, you're likely going to lose your team a lot of games.  Additionally, you're going to be hated just for playing a CV.  You're definitely going to need a thick skin.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,799 posts
7,039 battles
2 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

This.  If you're a new player, you're likely going to lose your team a lot of games.  Additionally, you're going to be hated just for playing a CV.  You're definitely going to need a thick skin.

Even with armour plating, there are some days my skin isn't thick enough..

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles
6 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Kaga out performs it at the same tier.  

I played many games against both Kagas and Saipans with my Ranger and I think that the Saipan was the harder ship to face.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,132 battles
14 minutes ago, TugboatCommander said:

The Kaga is currently available for purchase in the Premium Shop, and also via the Tech Tree in game.

Ah, thanks. It's hard to keep up with all the premiums now.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles
42 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I played many games against both Kagas and Saipans with my Ranger and I think that the Saipan was the harder ship to face.

Because your Ranger is a carrier.  Carriers are the only thing that Saipans make cry.  The stats don't lie; 3% better winrate and 20k damage/game more for Kaga.  Kaga makes everyone other than carriers cry.

new_kaga.png

Edited by crzyhawk

[SUCIT]
Members
825 posts
3,619 battles
2 hours ago, Tigershark87 said:

Hi All, 

Thank you for the help! 

Tiger

You may purchase any ship at any time, regardless of tier.  

Saying that, I'd hold off on buying any premium Carrier (CV) until you progress further.  CV's are unlike every other ship line in the game, and they take time to learn and master.  Once you enter Tier 8, you begin playing with the veterans of the game.  You'll be in much more severe MM, and you'll be playing against (generally) much more experienced players.  CV's play a large part in dictating a win or a loss at any tier, and if you're unable to cut it at tier 8, you'll take a lot of flack.  I'd wait until you got the Lexington or the Shokaku from the tech trees before purchasing one.  

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

Preferrably Shokaku.  USN CVs are godawful.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,875 battles
2 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Preferrably Shokaku.  USN CVs are godawful.

*Unless it's a premium. :Smile_trollface:

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,875 battles
38 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

Are you still suspended?

I got unsuspended awhile ago with everyone else & received 3 days of premium as compensation.

Members
1,866 posts
6 minutes ago, GoldPile said:

I got unsuspended awhile ago with everyone else & received 3 days of premium as compensation.

3 days premium? C'mon Warships, how about a flight to Moscow, and a date with Dasha!

• Cool 1