Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Exciton8964

Baltimore is very strong at T9

16 comments in this topic

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,598 battles

After struggling through the first few games, I think I have finally clicked with the ship and am enjoying her immensely.

This ship is definitely worth the effort after grinding through the painfully mediocre pensacola and NO.

NO had radar but doesn't have the RoF to take advantage of it. However, Baltimore with RoF module absolutely can. Good RoF also means enemy cruisers can't just turn and kite in front of you. They will pay for their mistake if they caught off guard by you.

Even compared to DM, you have better concealment and lower citadel which makes surviving a bit easier.

BBs are still hard to deal with as a USN cruiser. But you can play smart and flank them so they can't easily turn their turrets to aim at you. With good RoF, you can rack up quite a bit of damage in short time.

All in all, the RoF buff really made the ship work. Everything just comes together and works as a whole.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
5,261 posts
9,099 battles
1 hour ago, Exciton8964 said:

BBs are still hard to deal with as a USN cruiser. But you can play smart and flank them so they can't easily turn their turrets to aim at you. With good RoF, you can rack up quite a bit of damage in short time.

All in all, the RoF buff really made the ship work. Everything just comes together and works as a whole.

Her AP is no joke.  Can reliably citadel broadside battleships at less than 10km, if they are foolish enough for you to get in close to them.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I might have to switch out my upgrades for that. I have beens struggling to win with her, I do damage, but I can't win, I also can't kill things apparently.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,175 posts
11,693 battles
16 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

I might have to switch out my upgrades for that. I have beens struggling to win with her, I do damage, but I can't win, I also can't kill things apparently.

I can kill and do damage with mine plenty.  I can't get wins.  I keep drawing teams where the battleships yield the map, and I haven't figured how to carry them with it.

[TSPC]
Members
178 posts
6,448 battles

Seems to get less rekt by bbs - cause more troll citadel and significantly better concealment 

- When you turn away you move *slightly* towards the enemy - but this small shift seems to have saved me from citadels before

Also you can pretty much auto radar when you get spotted as radar range is 250m which, if I am not mistaken, is a lot less than the turning circles of even dds

Also insane ap - as already mentioned - one of the strongest cruiser ap penetration values at t9

ROF is a good build too

- If anything DM is worth 

[TASH]
Members
5,016 posts
8,094 battles
10 hours ago, Doomlock said:

The problem with GFCSM2 is that it doesn't teach you how to use the Baltimore properly - Des Moines has enough RoF where it hardly matters with regards to your damage totals.  USN CAs are best-off in close-range duels and thus usually supporting DDs, but the tendency and temptation to snipe only gets greater with GFCSM2 while it doesn't do anything for your CQC capabilities.  You're going to die a lot and be generally uncomfortable until you get the hang of using Baltimore like that, but once you do she does a damn good job.  Keeping enemies at between 5 and 10km is key since you have enough time to dodge torps but your arcs don't hinder you that much.

Another way of looking at it is that, even with GFCSM2, you still can't carry a match of 4+ BBs if your own BBs don't do anything.  You have no torps, mediocre HE, and BBs can repair all the fire damage you set on them, so why bother with it?  If you close the range you can do 5-7k with AP through their upper belts and superstructures.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
3 minutes ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

The problem with GFCSM2 is that it doesn't teach you how to use the Baltimore properly - Des Moines has enough RoF where it hardly matters with regards to your damage totals.  USN CAs are best-off supporting DDs, but the tendency to snipe only gets greater with GFCSM2.  You're going to die a lot and be generally uncomfortable until you get the hang of using Baltimore like that, but once you do she does a damn good job.

Another way of looking at it is that, even with GFCSM2, you still can't carry a match of 4+ BBs if your own BBs don't do anything.  You have no torps, mediocre HE, and BBs can repair all the fire damage you set on them, so why bother with it?  If you close the range you can do 5-7k with AP through their upper belts and superstructures.

Hmm. I think I will change to MBM3 tonight and see then. I'll keep the GFCSM2 for DM though.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,001 posts
9,020 battles

I put ole' Steven Segal in her and his cap skills suit her perfectly with the rate of fire mod. Taking into account both of his skills probably the best ship to put him in, but that's my opinion.

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
315 posts
9,431 battles

I struggled............man did I. But after getting her out of stock configuration, she is a beast. I really like this ship

[TASH]
Members
5,016 posts
8,094 battles
6 hours ago, Gary_P said:

I struggled............man did I. But after getting her out of stock configuration, she is a beast. I really like this ship

The stock guns have less firepower than the Pensacola - identical reload with one less gun.  I don't know why WG thinks it's okay to put T6.75 firepower on a T9 CA even if it's only a stock grind.

Members
56 posts
6,996 battles
47 minutes ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

The stock guns have less firepower than the Pensacola - identical reload with one less gun.  I don't know why WG thinks it's okay to put T6.75 firepower on a T9 CA even if it's only a stock grind.

Valid, but this assumes a single salvo exchange. Upgraded, I think Baltimore's reload comes down to ~8.5 seconds and the ship is decently tanky for a cruiser. My Baltimore suffers less than my Zao. 

She's no ridiculous fantasy ubercruiser like Hindenburg/Moskva/Zao, but she's a decent choice and just nice to look at.

In general, high tier USN cruisers in this game suffer from what seems to be anti-US bias and power creep. They were the best gun cruisers ever put to sea and WG really doesn't capture the superior US fire control in-game. 

• Cool 2

Members
879 posts
9,086 battles

Hmm, i stopped grinding a while back - but I'm always tempted to xp jump up to Baltimore (or Roon).  Maybe after I get MO & Nelson...so it will be awhile. 

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles

Baltimore is amazing.

I play in a support my DD's role and try to kill as many red DD's as I can before I move on to attacking the Cruisers.

1. Help clear the cap and kill DD's

2. Attack the cruisers who want to attack your DD's in the cap.

3. Relocate and repeat or disengage heal and repeat

4. Burn stuff

Members
842 posts
On 10/30/2017 at 10:41 AM, ValkyrWarframe said:

That's because the baltimore (even stock) has significantly BETTER mountings than the Pensacola.

You can get 66% of your guns into action bow-in, rather than 50%.  That's 6 vs 5.

Not to mention that the Baltimore has 50% better turret rotation speed.  And doesn't have to risk being deleted by ANYTHING when turning sideways to get the rear guns in action.

It's not just the gun caliber and number that matter.

Members
416 posts

I just sailed out my Baltimore after playing DDs for a while (I needed a break from cruisers), and I got absolutely destroyed my first couple of games. It's an entirely different game approach, which I unfortunately forgot after such a long hiatus. Going to give the "wait and see how things develop" strategy a shot, as supporting DDs does NOT work because the reload (even upgraded) isn't fast enough and you don't have enough guns. 

Members
879 posts
9,086 battles

BOOM.  This ship is the bomb.  Been getting prepped for line split, had enough freexp to nab pensacola, NO and Baltimore.  I loaded Baltimore up for use with Steven Seagal (16 points), bought all the upgrades and slotted the 40%+ radar mod.  Just need to grind the xp upgrades (range/hull/guns) mods and I can only imagine how amazing this ship will become.  Really hope is doesn't lose much going to T8.

Sign in to follow this