You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
OgreMkV

IJN DD Tech Tree Branch - Worth it?

16 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
1,235 posts
8,320 battles

Is it worth running up the branch for the IJN tech tree? I'm already at the Shima on the main branch. I didn't bother to keep the Kagero or the Fubuki and I haven't played the Hatsu since the branch. 

The Akizuki looks interesting, but is it worth the effort to stop at T8? I guess I need a T8 DD, but I'll probably keep the Kiev in that position. 

Members
4,830 posts
5,599 battles

I just got to Akizuki yesterday. Played one game and I think I'll like her.

From my experience going up the split line: Hatsuharu wasn't as bad of a grind as it was made out to be(hearing from both those who grinded her as a T7 and those who played her as the T6). I skipped Minekaze as I had played up to Mutsuki before the split. Shiratsuyu was, for me, a true exercise in frustration. I do not like Shiratsuyu at all, and question where the fanbase comes from(I simply can't believe that everyone that likes Shira is also a Kancolle fan), Akatsuki is by and large a much better platform, despite her shortcomings. I did manage to bring my Shira up to 55% for WR and I think the other stats are average or above average(which is what I like to shoot for before moving on in a ship usually), but the grind started out with a 0-8 run, and it was a long, steep climb to just bring it up to 50%.

First impressions of Akizuki are looking good. I do own Harekaze, so the 100mm guns are not unfamiliar to me. I still need one more skill point to be able to put IFHE on her, but even being a knot slower than Shira, it feels like Akizuki can assert influence over the flow of battle much better.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
22 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Ayy, congrats!

Members
4,830 posts
5,599 battles
12 hours ago, Doomlock said:

Ayy, congrats!

Thanks.

As I said, first impressions are looking good, but I'll have to play more games in her to get a feel for it. I'll probably still take you up on that offer to div at some point(I actually had right around 90k exp on Shira when you made the offer, so when I got the itch to play again the other day, it wasn't too difficult, thankfully, to grind out the remaining exp), as having someone who could give pointers for Aki would probably be beneficial. I still have to get to 14 points so I can pick up IFHE, and I'll need to respec to swap out TAE for SE.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Members
603 posts
7,111 battles
1 hour ago, OgreMkV said:

Is it worth running up the branch for the IJN tech tree? I'm already at the Shima on the main branch. I didn't bother to keep the Kagero or the Fubuki and I haven't played the Hatsu since the branch. 

The Akizuki looks interesting, but is it worth the effort to stop at T8? I guess I need a T8 DD, but I'll probably keep the Kiev in that position. 

the Akizuki can be fun if played right, or you pay for the premium harekaze that is kinda a hybrid of Akizuki x Kagero (and is a T8)

Harekaze has guns that not as good as Akizuki (3 turret vs 4 turret)

and she has torp that not as good as Kagero (type 90 vs Type 93)

if you don't like slow DD that turns bad, I won't recommand Akizuki, she is pretty much a light cruiser without citadel.

[TF16A]
[TF16A]
Members
452 posts
5,552 battles
1 hour ago, GhostSwordsman said:

From my experience going up the split line: Hatsuharu wasn't as bad of a grind as it was made out to be(hearing from both those who grinded her as a T7 and those who played her as the T6). I skipped Minekaze as I had played up to Mutsuki before the split. Shiratsuyu was, for me, a true exercise in frustration. I do not like Shiratsuyu at all, and question where the fanbase comes from(I simply can't believe that everyone that likes Shira is also a Kancolle fan), Akatsuki is by and large a much better platform, despite her shortcomings. I did manage to bring my Shira up to 55% for WR and I think the other stats are average or above average(which is what I like to shoot for before moving on in a ship usually), but the grind started out with a 0-8 run, and it was a long, steep climb to just bring it up to 50%.

First impressions of Akizuki are looking good. I do own Harekaze, so the 100mm guns are not unfamiliar to me. I still need one more skill point to be able to put IFHE on her, but even being a knot slower than Shira, it feels like Akizuki can assert influence over the flow of battle much better.

The fanbase comes from before she was nerfed.  When the split line was released, the Shiratsuyu had the Torpedo Reload Booster in a separate slot from smoke.  This would allow her to use smoke defensively while having the ability to fire 8 torpedoes, and then 5 seconds later fire another 8 torpedos.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
55 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Thanks.

As I said, first impressions are looking good, but I'll have to play more games in her to get a feel for it. I'll probably still take you up on that offer to div at some point(I actually had right around 90k exp on Shira when you made the offer, so when I got the itch to play again the other day, it wasn't too difficult, thankfully, to grind out the remaining exp), as having someone who could give pointers for Aki would probably be beneficial. I still have to get to 14 points so I can pick up IFHE, and I'll need to respect to swap out TAE for SE.

For captain, I have PT, LS, BFT, IFHE, and am going to pick up CE next. After that, I am taking SI.

Members
4,830 posts
5,599 battles
11 hours ago, DanielLeary said:

The fanbase comes from before she was nerfed.  When the split line was released, the Shiratsuyu had the Torpedo Reload Booster in a separate slot from smoke.  This would allow her to use smoke defensively while having the ability to fire 8 torpedoes, and then 5 seconds later fire another 8 torpedos.

I've played both versions. Oddly enough, I seem to have had better luck using only smoke. I didn't see the appeal in having TRB with smoke. In my experience it usually meant they weaved through 16 torps instead of 8.

11 hours ago, Doomlock said:

For captain, I have PT, LS, BFT, IFHE, and am going to pick up CE next. After that, I am taking SI.

I already have CE, I won't take a DD out of port without it, especially an IJN DD. Concealment is just to valuable and important to forego CE for something else with the first 10 points. Plus it makes it easier to move the captain into premium DDs or Atago for grinding out captain exp.

I always run my IJN DDs with PM, LS, TAE or SE, and CE for the first 10 points. The next skill is either at 13 or 14 points, depending on what I feel I need most, it's usually whichever 3 point skill I passed on the first 10.(I don't run IFHE or RPF on the vast majority of my DDs)

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,278 battles
19 hours ago, OgreMkV said:

The Akizuki looks interesting, but is it worth the effort to stop at T8?

First, don't bypass Hatsuharu; you'll be screwing yourself out of playing a decent IJN DD.

And YES! the Akizuki is definitely worth the grind! You need to get IFHE and DE, but once you do you can melt red ships.

18 hours ago, Capt_Binkley said:

It's got very rapid fire guns, but they don't do much when they hit anything.

and this is why you take IFHE and DE; IFHE for better penning, DE for IMPROVING your fire setting percentage, as it now gives you an extra 2% even after you lose 1% to IFHE.

Members
21 posts
1,002 battles

I would NOT stop. Japanese dds are really good if used correctly. Personaly though, I like USN dds better because of their rate of fire. 

Members
2,409 posts
7,727 battles

Recently hit the Akizuki and OMG, this thing is a monster. Totally worth it. One of the best DD hunters so far. 

Hatsuharu and Shiratsuyu were also good ships. 

The only "problem" is that you need a specialized cpt. with skills that other IJN DDs dont use/need.

[CVA16]
Members
2,301 posts
9,887 battles
On 10/16/2017 at 2:33 PM, Umikami said:

First, don't bypass Hatsuharu; you'll be screwing yourself out of playing a decent IJN DD.

And YES! the Akizuki is definitely worth the grind! You need to get IFHE and DE, but once you do you can melt red ships.

I did skip Hatsu 'cuz I was in a hurry to get to the holy grail of the pre-NERF Shiratsuyu. Thought about buying it back as I am short on T6s. Fortunately I have a 19pt Shira captain that makes it almost OK. I shudder to think what the Shira would be like now with a less than 10 pt captain. Eventually got the Akizuki which is a much different beast. Had to get a new captain as the builds are totally incompatible (You actually WANT to fire your guns???? Are you sure this thing is IJN???). I end up using  2 fire flags to raise the chance by 1% and it does OK with IFHE. Takes LOTS of hits to start a fire sometimes. Still scary when the game is full of T10s and radar.

[HEROS]
Members
1,430 posts
12,060 battles

Akizuki, yea it's worth it, but there are some considerations.

At 33 Knots You Are Slow..Your turning radius is only slightly smaller then a North Carolina.   It's AA is very good... for a destroyer.  Don't count on it performing, it can be very hit and miss.

There are  several variations of ways you can set up the ship and its commander.  I prefer to run Last stand, Adrenlin rush,  AFT and RPF.  IFHE. unused points in the usual places.  And knowing how many folk are aiming at you is worthless for this ship as your not running away.  Go for the extra module defense. (yes, no superintendent.  Use premium consumables, you need those 3 points of commander skill elsewhere)

Your torps are a secondary weapon.. use em when ya got a close target, but be aware the torpedo is kinda crappy. with the ships lack of agility once you commit to those torps thats it no changing yer mind.. IJN torps remember..a spread of 4 will kill most anything.  Use em well.  Get good with yer guns, and t you are in a team play ships.  And your going to do a lot of shooting from smoke at 10-15 Km from the target against large targets.. if Another DD challanges you to a gun fight as long as your shooting is spot on you will win.  Theres not a DD in the game can survive your guns more then about 60 seconds..(if your running AFHE..without its more problematical) 

Just remember, Aki is not a ship you get to run away in.    Have fun!

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles

The price you pay for those guns is a steep one. she is a tough boat to master.  I had fun moments in the Akizuki but even after 100 games my gameplay was too up and down to enjoy her.  One moment you are shredding a gearing and the next you eat 13k AP salvo from a BB across the map.  Fat and slow don't go together well when your guns are singing and you're fighting other DD's or get hit with radar or hydro.  Best of luck.

Members
842 posts

The HE is practically unusable unless you have IFHE.  Without it, it shatters on EVERYTHING, including other DDs.  I think the only thing it can pen is the superstructure of DDs.

I fought 10 games tryng to use HE, and it was immensely frustrating. I averaged under 60 (SIXTY) hp of damage per hit.  I switched to shooting AP just so I could occasionally get some damage numbers, and that's mostly useless against anything not a light cruiser or DD, and it's overpens all the time.

The Akizuki REQUIRES a 10-point captain to be playable.