Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

The Tao of the no smoke DD

6 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,430 posts
12,040 battles

Been a awhile since I posted in tactics.. I think the last time was on RPF.  Today the topic is the no smoke DD.  Off hand I know of only 3 ships can do this (feel free to tell me if there are others) and that's the IJN Kagero, Yugumo, and the HSF Harekaze.   I started running no smoke since the planning for the current season of Supremacy League started and I've gotten some pretty decent results. But those results have been because I have had to learn "The Way" .

Supremacy league (I run with Sun Tzu Warriors-Citadel Nation, Bronze league) has a limitation in the current season of no more then 3 smoke capable ships in a match.  There's some other rules, but my primary ride is the Kagero, with the HSF Harekaze availible when there's a premium ship slot open (also limited to 3 per match)  Both are run with the torpedo reload booster (TRB) instead of smoke.    So mostly I get to put over the period of a match about 30-50% more torpedo's in the water then I normally would.  I'm decent with my toprs, and getting better.. why my hit percentage has moved up from an average of 5 % to upwards of 10% in my TRB ships.. mostly because I'm anticipating movements, and positioning when possible to get those off side spreads out.  It can be very lonely some times as necessity may require you to  run where your simply not where teams mates can support you, yet to be effective you cannot  be shy.   Typically if I'm front of a push I like to stay at 8 to 9 Km in front of the closest ship and generally moving to where I'm not shooting torps at them from dead ahead.  Which by the by can be useful but only if someone else is in position to take advantage of a ship locked into a course to avoid torpedo's.  This sort of situation is supportive of laying torps out at target currently beyond your torpedo range that are closing, and then shifting laterally to present them with torps from another angle entirely.  The trick is to be aware of what your facing, (what has Radar, what has Hydro) and staying out of surface detection range, and holding your engine boost till you absolutely need to make billy big steps elsewhere. 

In a reverse of this situation where your doing the Conan thing (driving your enemies before and listening to the lamentations of their significant others.. Sorry Arnold..it's the 21st century, they're not always women!)  your staying sufficiently close to keep them spotted, and keeping torps OBVIOUSLY flowing into their wake to keep them running.. AWAY!  Some times even pooping off your guns  from the very edge of detection so they DO see you and then fading back out sight again.  You must keep them threatened so that their urge to survive, over powers their urge to fight.  If you see a lone Kagero chasing 6 red ships away from the fight. it's likely me, or some one very like me!   If you do manage this always be ready to turn and run like hell just in case someone finds their man pants.. And be aware.. it never just one of them!

Be aware of the map.. if they've run out of room to run, they are going to turn and fight.  If your too close you will be sunk so watch the distance and situation.  SInking ships, causing damage..  these are important. But more important is controlling the battle.  If they're running, they are not going to be able to effectively contest the caps. If the enemy team is afraid to close and dice over the caps because of your DD's torpedo's then you have taken control of the fight  Always remember, your best defense is to never been seen and shot at.    a pure torp offense (guns are SECONDARY weapons for you in most cases) is all about generating uncertainty and chaos.  There are players who can deal with this sort of situation, but they are in the minority.  Most players are flat terrified of getting torped, and would rather show broadsides to an opposing battle ships to dodge torps then to eat torps on their torpedo bulge and charge on in.  

The Down Side:  No smoke means no defensive smoke for you and none for team mates.   I swear there are players out there that act like is an anathema against GOD to run a no smoke DD.  Can't be helped.  Don't let them get to you.  Eventually they will either figure it our for them selves, or someone will "explain" it to them.  Or not.  They're not your responsibility.    Your build determines you "job" in the fight.  It can be limiting in many ways but it's a trade off.  Less defensive capability for a much improved offensive capability.  Do it right it'll treat you well.. do it wrong and your a target.  Also on escape and evasion.  If the situation takes a turn for the worst and you must run there are things to keep in mind.  There are typically DD's out there that significantly out gun you and are faster then you.  And even some cruisers.  Especially when your bobbing and weaving to avoid incoming gun fire and they are not.   Evasive movement can rub you of as much as or more then 10 knots off your best strait line speed.  This means your not getting away from that cruiser unless someone distracts them or they distract them selves long 'nuff for you to break contact and be elsewhere.. almost any where elsewhere.

That about sums up my thoughts and experience.   Remember, your "no Smoke" DD job is to be the super scary invisible 800 lbs guerrilla with a BAD temper that no one want to be near.   Battle Control is your first goal.  Sinking ships come a clear second place, and some where between the two situation permitting, taking caps.   Your most important tool is PATIENCE, which few players can defend against.  Not only in your movement and approach to contact and battle but even in your use of torpedo's.  All 3 currentl no smoke capable DD's run a 2x4 torpedo load out.  Spead the joy.  4 torps in one ships will in most cases will sink them especially if they're all ready packing damage.  But one torp each into 4 ships will utterly terrify an opposing team and will shatter any unity of action on their part.   Always be aware that while damage to ships is important.. damage to a player perception of the fight is even more so. 

I hope this little bit was both educational, and mildly entertaining.  See in battle! 

TL_Warlord_Roff sends

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Members
1,430 posts
12,040 battles

The problem with a strait up "how to" is that the situations and opportunities in a match are much to fluid.  Ships move. Tactics are real.  Nothing stays static.  Nothing happens in isolation.  I always want to present the basic core of thought and consideration.  For no smoke it is see and not been seen, all way's be a threat.  Take the initiative, and keep it..  Control yur part of the battle.    I've 600 battles plus between my Harekaze and Kagero and I consider myself only beginning to achieve a level of consistency in my battle results showing a level of real mastery of technique. 

If this were easy everyone would be doing it!

[WOLF5]
Members
458 posts
18,939 battles

Don't forget the Khab and Tashkent (heal vs smoke). Also with the PA DD's coming you've got a couple choices (radar vs smoke) there as well. 

Sign in to follow this