You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
hangglide42

World of Warplanes 2.0 Opinions?

3 comments in this topic

[PROJX]
Members
969 posts
15,734 battles

Hey All! Hangglide42 w/ a quick question for feedback & opinions - A number of WOWS YouTubers have recently posted videos regarding the rebooted version of World of Warplanes 2.0 and what the videos show is that, unlike the initial poorly received and populated attempt at the game - 2.0 looks fairly promising, fun and a number of the faults of the earlier game seem to have been fixed, corrected or redone.

Though the Hangar & game reward system looks very similar to what you'd find in WOT rather than WOWS, the game playability improvements look pretty compelling.

My own game background is that I like RTS games (e.g. Homeworld), puzzle mystery type games and Arcade type games (still think most of the Star Wars titles are not great, but Rogue Squadron was fun and kind of an exception and WOWS is great).

My question is - has anyone played the 2.0 version, if so what are your thoughts and opinions? 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,624 posts
9,027 battles

My opinion is it is War Thunder arcade mode in a new wrapper and I don't like War Thunder but you will have to make your opinion.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,449 posts
8,107 battles
1 hour ago, hangglide42 said:

Hey All! Hangglide42 w/ a quick question for feedback & opinions - A number of WOWS YouTubers have recently posted videos regarding the rebooted version of World of Warplanes 2.0 and what the videos show is that, unlike the initial poorly received and populated attempt at the game - 2.0 looks fairly promising, fun and a number of the faults of the earlier game seem to have been fixed, corrected or redone.

Though the Hangar & game reward system looks very similar to what you'd find in WOT rather than WOWS, the game playability improvements look pretty compelling.

My own game background is that I like RTS games (e.g. Homeworld), puzzle mystery type games and Arcade type games (still think most of the Star Wars titles are not great, but Rogue Squadron was fun and kind of an exception and WOWS is great).

My question is - has anyone played the 2.0 version, if so what are your thoughts and opinions? 

Trash with a pay to win option against the handful of players and all the bots you face. The initial was not that poorly received, between 1.2-1.4 we had at one point 3-4k on US servers, though it dropped to 1.5-2k due to unresolved issues/taking too long on them and the fact they left very little room for new lines/nations. Optimization was a key issue, that they failed to fix in 2.0 still. This laptop runs Wot on medium-ish settings at 60 FPS, but that's still high detail tank models and all, this game, depending, gets about 30, maybe a bit under, I still only get 17 or less on Warplanes, but now on a lower graphics setting. The competing game I get 30+ with way better detail. You take ONE hit from the wrong weapon, game over, you stand no chance at all, an issue that happened post 1.4/1.5 when they changed a great damage model people loved, except that RU planes need their chance at one shotting planes wings off toned down, and that no one wanted changed, for a crap system that angry what few didn't leave after the 1.5 debacle. To give you an idea, think what happened with GZ here, but an entire patch and game overhaul, not a ship. As "Arcade like" as this game and tank's can be, Warplanes still has it cranked up to a nonsensical 111. And no, hat isn't a typo. This and tanks have some feeling of realism, akin to that of the competition's arcade mode. Warplanes feels like playing mario kart or the need for speed games that people didn't really buy. They addressed NONE of the faults that existed once they released 1.5, some from even before that remain. All they did was make the UI crappier, change the game mode, and add bombers that are at best hard to get. "2.0" is just a new version of 1.9 but they removed plane birthdays, made GT's even more frustrating to destroy, made planes more like clones than they were before this patch and changed the game mode. should have called it 1.9.x. For it's flaws I still loved the end of 1.1, I enjoyed through 1.4, I struggled but stayed positive through 1.5 and 6, and the rest after that did everything to break me. I will not defend or recommend this mockery of a game I once loved. It is nonsense to call it 2.9, it's another Persha swing for the fences that is and should be doomed to fail trying to stay relevant and get money.

To sum up what I posted on their forum - "If you manage to limp to 3.0, maybe you'll listen to whatever community you have left and us players you drove away and make the game right". But I think at this point, it's official, Wargaming would have to completely disband that studio, and build a new one from the ground up to get a crew that actually fixes that game and actually seems to care.

• Cool 2