Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dark_Krickett_1

Ramming?

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
13 posts
102 battles

Not sure i agree with current ramming damage. I accidentally hit an enemy DD with my DD (hit front of my ship to the side of his ship) i had FULL health he had only about 15% of his health left yet I blew up with him. Now I know it would of done damage to my ship but in REAL life my ship in that instance would of not blown up or been destroyed. I just think that perhaps the damage done when ramming needs to be adjusted that is all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,592
[PSP]
Members
6,330 posts
8,954 battles

I'm not sure but I think that the ramming dynamic involves your total hit-points, your speed, the other ship's total hit-points and speed and the angle of the ram. I simply love to ram ships and will oftentimes play a coo-op game just to do so without ticking off a team too bad. The only ship that I've survived a ram with was when I was in an aircraft carrier and rammed a DD. Yesterday, I rammed a battleship with a cruiser and didn't fully kill it.

 

Edit: It seems that angle plays no role.

 

Quote

ship's speed and the size of its hit point pool.

 

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,820
[SALVO]
Members
17,117 posts
17,794 battles
23 minutes ago, Dark_Krickett_1 said:

Not sure i agree with current ramming damage. I accidentally hit an enemy DD with my DD (hit front of my ship to the side of his ship) i had FULL health he had only about 15% of his health left yet I blew up with him. Now I know it would of done damage to my ship but in REAL life my ship in that instance would of not blown up or been destroyed. I just think that perhaps the damage done when ramming needs to be adjusted that is all. 

 

ARGHHHH.....  "Would HAVE", not "would of".  There is no such thing as "would of"!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,592
[PSP]
Members
6,330 posts
8,954 battles
48 minutes ago, Crucis said:

 

ARGHHHH.....  "Would HAVE", not "would of".  There is no such thing as "would of"!!!

 

Ain't supposed to be such a thing as "ain't" either but that ain't stoppin' folks from usin' it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
13 posts
102 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

 

ARGHHHH.....  "Would HAVE", not "would of".  There is no such thing as "would of"!!!

1: I don't care about grammar in a stupid gaming forum.

2: Perhaps English is not my native language?

3: People like you make me laugh your so full of hate and stuff that all you can do is make fun of peoples grammar in a VIDEO game forum? WoW you need to re-evaluate your life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
13 posts
102 battles
11 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

 

Ain't supposed to be such a thing as "ain't" either but that ain't stoppin' folks from usin' it.

Actually it is in the dictionary so is an accepted form of usage in today's world. When i was growing up it was slang and was not in the dictionary and was told it was in fact not a word, but in today's world it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,266
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles
5 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

New fav tactic - two ships left on other team and one's a DD, I'm in a BB.  That DD's going to get a ramming.

I hope to GOD I'm there to see this! LOL!!

(PLEASE tell me you're using either a USN BB, or, dare I even hope, a MIKASA!!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
180
[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,238 posts
Just now, Umikami said:

I hope to GOD I'm there to see this! LOL!!

I did it in PT, DD was trying to hug below my guns so I was like right turn...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,266
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles
2 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

I did it in PT, DD was trying to hug below my guns so I was like right turn...

were you close enough to see the look of astonished shock change into a rage of understanding?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,592
[PSP]
Members
6,330 posts
8,954 battles

Remember that every ship has one torpedo for use in an emergency -- itself. Ramming in this game is a legitimate move. Many times I've run a low-hitpoint BB into a full-health enemy BB and not only took out a danger to the team but got myself an additional 70k in damage caused as well. I got a Corgi kill last season by ramming and fly my Corgi Flag proudly on the ship that took out the little mutt.

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
288
[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,817 posts
9,925 battles

Don't forget to put the Ramming Signal on, reduce damage to your ship and increase damage on enemy ship, very funny signal sometime but it will help out in situation like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,820
[SALVO]
Members
17,117 posts
17,794 battles
1 hour ago, Dark_Krickett_1 said:

1: I don't care about grammar in a stupid gaming forum.

2: Perhaps English is not my native language?

3: People like you make me laugh your so full of hate and stuff that all you can do is make fun of peoples grammar in a VIDEO game forum? WoW you need to re-evaluate your life.

1. I'd have no problem throwing your resume in the trash with that attitude.

2. A non-native English speaker would have gotten it right because "would of" is a lazy person's way of saying "would have" or "would've".

3. It's "you're", not "your".  It's a COMPUTER game, not a video game.  And I'm not making fun of you.  I'm trying to instruct you.  Life is a learning experience and it is YOU who needs to engage in a bit of self-reflection and re-evaluation.  People who think that it's "hateful" to try to teach others to use the language properly don't even begin to know the meaning of the word.  Grow up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,820
[SALVO]
Members
17,117 posts
17,794 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

 

Ain't supposed to be such a thing as "ain't" either but that ain't stoppin' folks from usin' it.

Go ahead.  Revel in your ignorance.  Only makes you look all the more silly.

Edited by Crucis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,820
[SALVO]
Members
17,117 posts
17,794 battles
21 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Remember that every ship has one torpedo for use in an emergency -- itself. Ramming in this game is a legitimate move. Many times I've run a low-hitpoint BB into a full-health enemy BB and not only took out a danger to the team but got myself an additional 70k in damage caused as well. I got a Corgi kill last season by ramming and fly my Corgi Flag proudly on the ship that took out the little mutt.

Personally, I wish that ramming wasn't a part of this game, since I think that it would be nice to try to promote better brawling skills rather than falling back on ye olde yolo ram. 

But since it is in the game, I fully agree that ramming a high health enemy BB with your own low health BB is a very smart tactical exchange.  Heck, I'll even go so far as to say that it's a smart tactical exchange if you're in a tier 8 or even 9 BB that's moderately healthy and you see a tier 10 enemy BB that's low enough health that if you ram it, you'd sink it.  I've done that before as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,592
[PSP]
Members
6,330 posts
8,954 battles
12 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Go ahead.  Revel in your ignorance.  Only makes you look all the more stupid.

 

If the message sent is the message received then the language has served its purpose. If the receiver of a forum post knows that the sender used "would of" in place of "would have" then to point it out as being incorrect is just pedantic.

 

If you are writing your doctoral thesis or a paper for publication, well then:

 

    

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
255
[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,532 battles
16 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I'm not sure but I think that the ramming dynamic involves your total hit-points, your speed, the other ship's total hit-points and speed and the angle of the ram. I simply love to ram ships and will oftentimes play a coo-op game just to do so without ticking off a team too bad. The only ship that I've survived a ram with was when I was in an aircraft carrier and rammed a DD. Yesterday, I rammed a battleship with a cruiser and didn't fully kill it.

 

^^ essentially the ram is based on the total HP of your ship as of the begining of the match. Which means if a 20000 hp DD rams a 90000 hp BB, the BB is only going to lose 20000 hp to the ram.

 

13 hours ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

Don't forget to put the Ramming Signal on, reduce damage to your ship and increase damage on enemy ship, very funny signal sometime but it will help out in situation like this

 

^^ this. Even if you are not going to intentionally ram someone, this flag can give you a shot at surviving, like the det flag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,919
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,855 posts
13,070 battles

Ramming is a tactic.  Use it if it helps.  Avoid it if it doesn't.

 

WOWS has it modeled very nicely.  It is based on the full HP of the ship because it is a "mass" effect vice ordinance.   It is greatly reduced for friendly bumps for what should be obvious reasons.  But against an adversary...it is DESIGNED to be a tactic.  And, IMHO, modeled properly.

 

Although WOWS is not a real simulation, ramming was a tactical consideration for the captains of the period modeled.  I've read several memoirs/books written by captains of the day, and have noted on numerous occasions where the "ram" option is contemplated...usually when the ship has lost most or all of its main armament but still has propulsion.  I don't recall ever reading where the intentional ram (by an otherwise defeated ship) actually happened, but it is definitely "in the mind" of the captain.

 

The only intentional ram (arguably, serendipitous as it was at night) I'm aware of is when a Japanese destroyer rammed a PT boat...sliced it in half.  The commander of that PT boat...a future president of the U.S., John Kennedy.

 

I have read about unintentional friendly collisions..it happened a lot.  And in many cases, the result was very serious.  The mass effect IRL can be devastating.

 

 

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,592
[PSP]
Members
6,330 posts
8,954 battles
32 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Ramming is a tactic. 

 

Those PT boat hulls were made out of two one-inch thick layers of wood with a canvas sheet sandwiched between them -- a strong man with a sledgehammer could knock a hole in one. PT boats were much slower than a destroyer too. Even "minor" collisions can be devastating due to the momentum involved between two ships; recently two collisions killed several US sailors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×