Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
v65saber

Novel ways to die in battle

22 comments in this topic

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
27 posts
11,328 battles

Playing this game for two years I realize that strange things happen when in battle.  Or, I lost the battle because....

1 Lightening strike causing power outage

2 Loss of power due to car hitting power pole

3 Loss of power due to dog playing with cat and knocking out the plug

4 Cat jumping on my keyboard

5 Phone call to important to postpone

6 Trip to ER (not me but had to go)

I am not counting "normal" computer problems such as pop ups, lock ups, never getting into the game at all... etc. 

Can't wait to hear about your weird problems, too.

[SEP]
Members
3,723 posts
14,941 battles

Server kicks me out "due to long period of inactivity" mid-battle. Thank you, WG.

• Cool 3

[KMS2]
Members
189 posts
5,028 battles

When team battles came around, I had a match where my dorm had a fire drill just as it started. Came back with 10:23 on the clock and down one ship. Rallied back to win it as the clock ran out. Weirder yet, I died between time running out and the results screen, and the other team should have won on points and I was the last alive.

[PSP]
Members
6,243 posts
8,881 battles

When my cat was a kitten she was on the desk playing with my headphone cord and shorted out my sound module. I bought a sound card, which worked well until a couple weeks ago when there was a lightning strike right outside my open window. The EMP from the strike sent a surge through my headphones and shorted out my front-jack module on the sound card. The rear jack still works.

1 Lightening strike causing power outage -- yes

2 Loss of power due to car hitting power pole -- yes, but it was an ice storm

3 Loss of power due to dog playing with cat and knocking out the plug -- yes, but it was two cats

4 Cat jumping on my keyboard -- not keyboard but sort of yes, see above

5 Phone call to important to postpone -- yes

6 Trip to ER (not me but had to go) -- yes

New:

We had 3 inches of rain in an hour and the basement flooded so I had to go take care of it.

My elderly mother was frantic because she had lost her cat (the cat was fine, it was just sleeping under a table).

Edited by Snargfargle

[HINON]
Members
9,017 posts

One day I was playing when the power went out. I looked outside and saw an odd glow. I went to the back of the house and saw my neighbors shed behind their house completely engulfed in flames right below the power line. Not exactly what I expected.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

Had to give away a beehive.

Put the Zuchinni on a long autopilot..  Told my div mate what was going on.  Came back finding my secondaries sunk an enemy DD, and I was just burning down.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

today-is-a-good-day-to-die-quote-1.jpg

• Cool 1

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
41 minutes ago, v65saber said:

Playing this game for two years I realize that strange things happen when in battle.  Or, I lost the battle because....

1 Lightening strike causing power outage

2 Loss of power due to car hitting power pole

3 Loss of power due to dog playing with cat and knocking out the plug

4 Cat jumping on my keyboard

5 Phone call to important to postpone

6 Trip to ER (not me but had to go)

I am not counting "normal" computer problems such as pop ups, lock ups, never getting into the game at all... etc. 

Play a BB, rush a cap, no one follows and camps outside cap, tank and die for nothing.

Play a DD, rush a cap, no one follows and camps outside cap, get detected by enemy DD/CV/Radar, die for nothing.

Oh wait, you said novel. My mistake.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles

10 pound Pomeranian crawls under my legs then gets caught on the power plug and unplugs my desktop. Love the Rascal, but damn is he annoying sometimes.

[OO7]
Supertester
164 posts
4,208 battles

Last week a transformer blew at the local power station and caused the power to flash on and off a couple times.  Had just loaded into a match.  When it went out and came back the first time, I reloaded into the game.  Then it went out again >_>

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

The first time I used the Steven Seagal captain, the "enthusiasm" in his voice put me straight to sleep.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,129 battles

Well, my laptop battery died mid game. I frantically plugged it back, rebooted the computer, restarted the game, loaded in, and was still alive, and able to help secure the win.

I once played the final minutes of a match with a calendar notification perfectly covering the minimap. Ironically, it was a DD I never spotted that got the killing shot in. Was to busy brawling with a fiji who couldn't hit his torps at point blank range to remove it. We did win though, despite my teams efforts to the contrary.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,191 battles
2 hours ago, v65saber said:

Lose power halfway through a match in my mouse because my grandkids were over and swapped the mouse battery for the remote battery.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

[NGA]
Members
1,289 posts
7,816 battles

I once died in my New Orleans because the dorm decided to conduct a fire drill and I ran outside and lost the wifi signal. Still bagged over 2500 xp.

Members
280 posts
724 battles

I have seen a Z-59? Torpedo itself... without an enemy being sighted (80 seconds into the match).

Worked out how to do it as well.  The tubes can angle far enough forward that it is possible to turn into them with the bow after they arm, but before they clear the danger zone.

• Cool 1

[TFLT]
Members
102 posts
2,716 battles
5 minutes ago, Fiona_Marshe said:

I have seen a Z-59? Torpedo itself... without an enemy being sighted (80 seconds into the match).

Worked out how to do it as well.  The tubes can angle far enough forward that it is possible to turn into them with the bow after they arm, but before they clear the danger zone.

This one wins!

[PSP]
Members
6,243 posts
8,881 battles
1 hour ago, Fiona_Marshe said:

I have seen a Z-59? Torpedo itself... without an enemy being sighted (80 seconds into the match). Worked out how to do it as well.  The tubes can angle far enough forward that it is possible to turn into them with the bow after they arm, but before they clear the danger zone.

I've wondered about that. There were several times that I thought I was going to run into my own torpedoes.

[SEP]
Members
44 posts
7,386 battles

I can't remember which ship I was driving, but a commotion started up outside the house that was concerning enough for me to leave my computer. Turns out the neighbors were getting a no-knock raid from the police for a warrant or something of the other. Came back to computer and I was dead. The police show up at the neighbor's quite often. 

Edited by SpudzShep

[PSP]
Members
6,243 posts
8,881 battles
7 minutes ago, SpudzShep said:

The police show up at the neighbor's quite often. 

That is one thing that I don't miss about living in a city.

• Cool 1

[AR15]
Members
419 posts
7,893 battles

I had a window pop up ever so briefly in a match and paid it no mind. I did pay it some mind later when 3.2s into the next battle my PC reboots to start applying updates. 12 mins later I was back in the game just in time to eat a load of torps.

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
605 posts
5,044 battles

Died against the side of the map in Ranked due to my 3 y/o daughter throwing up all through her bed at 12:30am. 

Team carried me for the win, and I apologized to them all in private messages afterwards. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this