You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Skirion

Tips for Fusou

24 comments in this topic

[-G1F-]
Members
9 posts
1,087 battles

Hey guys,
I've got only 35 battles in Fusou, but recently my salvos have literally been doing nothing. I can have the full broadside of a ship but my long range plunging fire just shatters. Is there a mechanic I don't know about or am not using correctly? I'm aware that AP loses pen as range increases, but to a point where they just shatter? What am I doing wrong?

Members
566 posts
1,885 battles

You are much more accomplished than I Fuso. Is a wonderful ship I have not noticed this but am traveling so unable to play recently.Have you tried switching ammunition types and targeting heterogeneous locations?

Other then that have no response then good luck Capt Skirion.

[-G1F-]
Members
9 posts
1,087 battles

I have, but my HE doesn't have any effect worthwhile either. I mostly use AP in BB-BB, BB-CA/L engagements

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,438 battles

FUSO IS GLORIOUS....
I suggest getting a wee bit closer to BBs to get those citadels.... Plunging fire is good for ships like Tirpitz with heavy armor, lower Cits and weak decks...
I started playing mine again Yesterday cause I miss it... it has GREAT range with a scout plane and very accurate guns... reload is a bit much but it moves about pretty well..
ANY broadside cruiser or BB that between 14 and 20 KM should fear you.... and I mean it... a half healthy NM does not stand a chance Broadside... 

Just watch out for other FUso's....

IMO it is the best tier for tier BB for deleting ships with fantastic accuracy and heavy damage...
And IMO THE best tier 6 BB that is not a premium.... and even those are MEH if going up against her with someone that knows exactly how to FUSOround the map

• Cool 3

[POP]
Members
1,234 posts
8,228 battles

Everyone thinks that Fuso is a long range sniper. But she's really better as a mid-range fighter... not a brawler. A NM will crush you in a brawl. 

What I would suggest is instead of playing her at 18km, trying playing about 14km. With the understanding that is match dependent. You don't want to play that way with T8s. 

[-G1F-]
Members
9 posts
1,087 battles
9 minutes ago, pmgaudio said:

FUSO IS GLORIOUS....
I suggest getting a wee bit closer to BBs to get those citadels.... Plunging fire is good for ships like Tirpitz with heavy armor, lower Cits and weak decks...
I started playing mine again Yesterday cause I miss it... it has GREAT range with a scout plane and very accurate guns... reload is a bit much but it moves about pretty well..
ANY broadside cruiser or BB that between 14 and 20 KM should fear you.... and I mean it... a half healthy NM does not stand a chance Broadside... 

Just watch out for other FUso's....

IMO it is the best tier for tier BB for deleting ships with fantastic accuracy and heavy damage...
And IMO THE best tier 6 BB that is not a premium.... and even those are MEH if going up against her with someone that knows exactly how to FUSOround the map

I will certainly try to close the distance before engaging. What about armor? Is the a particular way I'm to angle it or do I have to bow tank if I need to?

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,438 battles
11 minutes ago, Skirion said:

I will certainly try to close the distance before engaging. What about armor? Is the a particular way I'm to angle it or do I have to bow tank if I need to?

Fuso is not a brawler, and bow is weak for that... save the BOW ons for the USN line.... a little angle goes a long way though

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,236 posts
4,803 battles

Fuso is a beast and all the posters have offered sound advice backing that up. Once you get used to her playstyle you'll really love her!

[PVE]
Members
507 posts
4,320 battles
On 10/15/2017 at 3:42 PM, Skirion said:

Generally speaking, if you can get all barrels on target then thet can pen you if they are a BB.  In between their volleys try to turn just enough to fire your rear turrets then turn back before they fire again.

I don't have that many games in my fuso yet, but keeping an angle like that has helped me shrug off a lot of hits.

Edit: don't bow tank, you are not in a Bismarck, you will regret it.

Edited by MasterDiggs

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
On 10/15/2017 at 1:08 PM, Skirion said:

I have, but my HE doesn't have any effect worthwhile either. I mostly use AP in BB-BB, BB-CA/L engagements

Use HE anyway.  AP shell lose penetration and accuracy at range, and are likely to glance off enemy Battleships at 20km, or fail to penetrate.  HE shells however, will detonate regardless of a glancing hit.  AP is only reliable within 16km, but I'd recommend closing the distance anyway so that you can plant more AP shells into enemy ships without taking all day.  Yes other Battleships will preform better then you at close range, but if their busying fighting someone else, it's your chance to deal some real damage up close.

[PT8TO]
Members
277 posts
11,700 battles

Fuso

On 16/10/2017 at 1:34 AM, Skirion said:

Hey guys,
I've got only 35 battles in Fusou, but recently my salvos have literally been doing nothing. I can have the full broadside of a ship but my long range plunging fire just shatters. Is there a mechanic I don't know about or am not using correctly? I'm aware that AP loses pen as range increases, but to a point where they just shatter? What am I doing wrong?

Aim above the waterline between superstructure for long range plunging fire, from there let the RNG do the rest.IMHO

Spoiler

shot-17_11.23_01_27.24-0900.thumb.jpg.85d7e69c8951c733eacf4ba5d7c53e34.jpgshot-17_11.23_01_27.46-0212.thumb.jpg.8cc9d535e6a4155674a2f5f2ac8a1f0c.jpg

[PHRA]
Members
78 posts
9,382 battles
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:34 PM, Skirion said:

Hey guys,

I find that (HE) is better than (AP) at long range and doe's wonders on enemy ships of higher tiers.

Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles
On 10/15/2017 at 2:34 PM, Skirion said:

Hey guys,

If your rounds are shattering, you are hitting the main belt, citadel (might or might not be integrated with the belt at tier 6, turrets, or barbets (what the turrets sit on). You are probably also hitting at a bit of an angle. Since the Fuso faces higher tiers with greater frequency than the Kongo, but has the same guns, it encounters a lot more ships which can break or bounce it’s AP. 

As a general rule, whenever you have a ship which relies on AP, but is a bit underpowered compared to the armor it faces, you should adjust aim and try for normal penetrations instead of citadels. On most BBs you can aim for the upper belt (the band of armor under the superstructure and guns, but immediately under the main deck instead of at the waterline, the base of the conning tower, or the lowest part of the superstructure. Generally speaking, aim for he part of the ship where e secondary guns are mounted. If you look at the armor viewer for most battleships, you’ll see the armor is much thinner there, but it’s still often thick enough that you won’t overpenatrate, and even if he armor is thin, the ships are usually broad enough there that the shell still won’t penetrate too far. 

Basically, you’ll get better results if you aim the way you would with RN CLs, or USN CAs firing AP. Drop down and hit the belt if you get a flat broadside at close range, but for longer ranges or angling targets, adjust your aim from the waterline to immediately below the deck instead. The volume of fire will make up for getting regular pens instead of citadels. (Of course, anything you can citadel, hat should be your first choice)

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
46 posts
562 battles

I was one of those guys who only played co-ops and only did so with the grace of a sack of potatoes tumbling down a staircase. Ignored the game for months, got tempted back by one of those 100k free exp goodie bags WG threw at me suddenly. Get the welcome back mission to earn the Texas, eventually grind it out with few remarks. Weird new crates drop a 5k Kidd mission, grind that too. Random supercontainer chucks a Sims at me. DafuqamIsupposedtodowithalltheseDDs.gif

But there was still the question of the 100k free experience and what to do with it. Already had a Kongou, didn't feel passionate about it. Was entranced by the Fusou from years before (not by the dakka, but the height of the mighty sea tower) but just never had the energy to grind it. So that's what I spent it on. And to be expected, the first few rounds were a comedy show of missed salvos, bounces against angled armor, and pointless HE spam. But I did learn a few key rules that made a world of difference-

1: Get your lead right, load AP, and shoot the cruisers first. They're floating pinatas of citadels and your salvo of 12 shells is bound to hit meat if you can just get it vaguely on center. One citadel per salvo is easily worth the time and effort of a reload. Two is just plain overkill.

2: Don't be afraid of spending a salvo on a hostile DD, even if AP is loaded. The sheer volume of fire will produce return on investment if you can just get the lead right and hit him.

3: You can snipe from well over 20 klicks away, but that's not going to get anything done quickly (unless based RNG decides to intervene in your favor). Why not instead close distance to roughly 10-12 klicks and aim deliberately.

4: More often than not, your broadside has more dakka than the other guy's. Angle as much as possible, but if you have to trade then trade.

[-CIV-]
Members
216 posts
2,345 battles
On 10/15/2017 at 4:42 PM, Skirion said:

I have the same question - could anyone walk me through how to think about angling, especially in a ship like the Fusou?  I know I should angle only as much as necessary so I can quickly swing my guns on target and back, but I'm still unclear on exactly what angle for each caliber/nationality of shells, at what point overmatching kicks in, and how to get out of a situation where I am dealing with overmatches (especially since Fusou is slow and can't really run away).

[PHRA]
Members
78 posts
9,382 battles

Fuso is my favorite BB! If used the right way she can be a nightmare for the enemy team. From what I've read here, there are a lot of sound ideas from other Fuso drivers, and one more thing if using HE and you have the jump on enemy DDs you become their worst nightmare, just make sure you watch out for their torpedo's.

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,782 posts
9,798 battles
On 10/16/2017 at 5:34 AM, Skirion said:

Is there a mechanic I don't know about

Upgrade module: Aiming System Mod 1

Travel with the pack first 6 mins in game, play with long range and observed how the game develop and put support where needed.

Her armor is nothing, so learn how to shoot in spotter mod, WASD hack, and speed hack, her detection is large, if you are forced to bow in, which this is like mopping up time, turn the ship 20 degree so you can use all 6 front gun turrets, then immediately "bow-in", wait till re-load then turn. Best is to be un predictable of where you going to turn because enemy can also calculate your reload time to counter your turn. Best to keep at mid range 14-18km. Best snipping is where you not seen, full broadside and enjoyed the shot-gun effect. Learn about map awareness, mini map skills, know when to stop shooting and turn and run (disengage and move to new location). Learn to aim, full salvo in AP into dd ARE as deadly as HE. 

Learn to use signals and camo, learn to use the repair and heal to gain max health return 

Ibq9RgU.jpg

L93ZcXQ.jpg

h0l7Y5K.jpg

M0FdaY5.jpg

KCq2p10.jpg

EgQoh5Y.jpg

DT3zv1u.jpg

d8Pvj8W.jpg

[WOLF3]
Members
16,048 posts
14,440 battles
On 6/25/2018 at 10:26 PM, yungpanda said:

I have the same question - could anyone walk me through how to think about angling, especially in a ship like the Fusou?  I know I should angle only as much as necessary so I can quickly swing my guns on target and back, but I'm still unclear on exactly what angle for each caliber/nationality of shells, at what point overmatching kicks in, and how to get out of a situation where I am dealing with overmatches (especially since Fusou is slow and can't really run away).

Check the WoWS Wiki entry for AP penetration.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration#Armor-Piercing

Take note about the ricochets and auto-ricochets because angling is all about that.  Take note of the angles necessary for auto-bounce, 0-30 degrees.  USN 8" / 203mm AP, RN CL AP shells have the more favorable bounce angles.  Where other AP shells can get auto-bounced at 30 degrees or less, USN 203mm & RN CL AP shells lower that parameter to 22.5 degrees or less.

Then there's "Overmatch."  Armor thickness can just brush off AP shells... Up to a certain size, for a given armor thickness.  For that, you need to check this part out, as "Overmatch"is now the thing to consider.  Check the bottom for AP.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds

Someone tries to describe "Overmatch" here.  Basically, if the guns are big enough, it will defeat your armor no matter what you do and penetrate.  Once the shell penetrates, it may travel right into the citadel even from the bow.

So basically, if you can, when presenting your Fuso to a specific threat, 30 degrees or less and you'll auto-bounce AP shells.  Very important to do this because Fuso's armor isn't exactly great and her citadel protection is suspect.  However, something that you must also consider is that although you may be properly angled against a ship or group of ships from a specific direction, someone somewhere else, off to the side, may have a perfect broadside view of you.  You MUST develop map situation awareness and know when angling is good to do at a given time, or it will get you rekt.

There's also Bow Tanking, especially by Battleships, though some Cruisers can play this also under very specific circumstances, even against a Battleship*.

Fuso Bow armor is 25mm.

D4azd27.jpg

Refer again to the Armor Thresholds link.  25mm armor is enough to defeat 358mm or smaller AP shells.  This is vital to know.  For the majority of Tier V-VI Battleships that Fuso can encounter, their guns are 356mm.

1.  Fuso's 25mm bow can defeat those 356mm AP shells such as found on Fuso herself, Arizona, New Mexico, New York, Texas, etc.

However, the chart says that 25mm will fail against 358mm or larger shells.  What ships at Tier VI are larger than 358mm?  Warspite & Queen Elizabeth with 381mm, Bayern with 380mm, and Mutsu with 410mm.  If you try to bow tank against those Tier VI BBs, they will perforate your bow.  That is the power of "Overmatch."

There's also a general rule:  Battleships in general can bow tank same or lower tier Battleship AP shells.

It's a good general rule but as you see, it's not 100% true as even within Tier VI, there are BBs that can defeat Fuso's bow armor.  You must know the size of the guns to the threat(s) you are facing and know when you actually can Bow Tank or not.

Fuso scenarios:

1-on-1 vs a New Mexico.

Fuso can use angling / auto-bounce mechanics to "tank" NM's AP.

Fuso can also use bow tanking to bounce NM's AP because her 25mm bow can defeat her 356mm AP shells.

1-on-1 vs Tier VI Mutsu (410mm), or VII Nagato (410mm), or VII Colorado (406mm)

Fuso's 25mm bow will catastrophically fail against these threats, as they are all above 358mm and will penetrate her bow.

Fuso is better off using angling / auto-bounce.  Pray the larger gunned threat shoots at the sides of the hull instead of the bow.

There is also a trick that some BB players use in that they show a bit of side, a less inclined angle to bait a gun salvo into their hull.  But they play the time, range, shell flight time, etc. so that they they start turning while the shells are in flight, and by the time the shells arrive, the BB is now in a well angled profile and can bounce the shells with the hull.

This is how Iowa, Missouri for example, try to survive if caught in a frontal profile against Yamato or Musashi.

Iowa & Missouri have 32mm bows and that will defeat up to 458mm.  But Yamato and Musashi have immense 460mm guns and will crush right through the bow for penetration damage.  That trick I mentioned earlier can be used to bait the Yamato / Musashi player into firing at the hull sides, and then turning to suddenly change into auto-bounce angles.  Of course, this fails if the Yamato / Musashi player knows that game and just aims for the bow to Overmatch it...

An example ghetto diagram of baiting with your hull for auto-bounce, when you know your bow can't withstand the enemy's guns.

WOVjiil.jpg

Spoiler

* I mentioned that even some Cruisers can Bow Tank even against Battleships.  Only very specific ones can and they tend to be high tier.  Even then, only a few can do so.

Some example bow armor values:

Tier VIII-X USN & German HEAVY Cruisers have a 27mm bow.

Refer to the chart again in the "Armor Thresholds" link.  It says the 27mm bow requires 387mm or larger AP shells to penetrate it.  For example, this means that Baltimore, Prinz Eugen, Admiral Hipper in Tier VIII can bounce the AP shells of the likes of Warspite, Queen Elizabeth, Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, Tirpitz, Bismarck, Gascogne, Richelieu, Alsace because their guns are not large enough to defeat the 27mm bow.  Some BB players get surprised by this, thinking, "Oh, I got a dinky Cruiser here, I'll just delete it."  But are finding out that their shells are non-penning, getting bounced by a godd*mn Cruiser!

Personally, I had an experience a while back.  I was playing a High Tier match, using Tier X Des Moines who has a 27mm bow.  In an island infested part of the map, 2 Bismarcks were outside the islands and intended to push into the cap I was defending.  They knew I was the last ship of my team there.

"2 Bismarcks vs 1 Des Moines?  We got this!" was probably what they thought when they pushed together.  They both entered my cap, MY ISLANDS together.  But I was bow tanking and I had islands covering my flanks.  Their 380mm AP shells were bouncing harmlessly off of my bow.  Their secondaries were doing damage on me, but that didn't matter.  My 203mm auto-loaders with 5.5 second reloads, and getting faster due to Adrenaline Rush, were pulverizing the Bismarcks in turn.  Their main battery could not hurt me.  Their secondaries could not keep up with my short ranged, fast gunfire.  I killed both Bismarcks in ranges less than 6km from me.  I was battered from the Secondaries and fires from them, but I didn't care.  Their 15" guns were bouncing off my bow.  The islands prevented them from doing flanking maneuvers to nail my sides which would be crushed by their guns.

Another example, one which you will heed to know with Fuso.  Fuso is armed with 356mm guns.  If you encounter a charging Tier VIII Prinz Eugen or Admiral Hipper, be extremely careful.  They have 27mm bows and will easily brush off Fuso's 356mm AP.  They're fast, and Fuso isn't exactly fast and nimble either.  In this case, the charging Prinz Eugen or Adm.Hipper is banking that their bow will keep their ship intact against your AP so that they can get in range and drop torpedoes on you.  If you sit there trying to pump shell after shell into them because, "They're only dinky little Cruisers," you'll get torpedoed and sent back into port.  Prinz Eugen, Hipper as Tier VIII's, are within Fuso's matchmaking range.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,628 battles

I'd also like to tack on, please do not willingly operate the Fuso at 18km+ unless you're bottom tier or everyone is playing extremely passively. Play the midrange, as close as you safely dare, and use those 12 guns with the nice 28s reload. Rudder shift and try to avoid broadsiding period. The Fuso has quite nice firing angles and thus can fire all the guns with strong angling. Compare that her broadside is basically the same as New Mexico, but her reload is 28s not 34s, and her accuracy is much better. It'll be a bit strange, but just try to operate from 14km range around, trying to maintain your angle and only unmasking enough to get the guns out, before quickly going back to full angle.

[-CIV-]
Members
216 posts
2,345 battles
On 7/1/2018 at 1:59 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Check the WoWS Wiki entry for AP penetration.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration#Armor-Piercing

Take note about the ..

WOW - thank you so much.  I'll make sure to check out the links and keep practicing. :)

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
On 7/8/2018 at 8:25 PM, Seniorious said:

I'd also like to tack on, please do not willingly operate the Fuso at 18km+ unless you're bottom tier or everyone is playing extremely passively. Play the midrange, as close as you safely dare, and use those 12 guns with the nice 28s reload. Rudder shift and try to avoid broadsiding period. The Fuso has quite nice firing angles and thus can fire all the guns with strong angling. Compare that her broadside is basically the same as New Mexico, but her reload is 28s not 34s, and her accuracy is much better. It'll be a bit strange, but just try to operate from 14km range around, trying to maintain your angle and only unmasking enough to get the guns out, before quickly going back to full angle.

I play Fuso at anywhere from 15 to 12 km when top tier. I stick closer to 15-16 km when middle tier, and when bottom, I tend to go 17-18(about where I usually am with my Arizona, my most played ship, in the same situation as well) km away except for specific circumstances.

Also, people get this wrong: Fuso's spotter plane is not really for spotting either. BB spotter planes suck at spotting, mostly. No, the real use out of Fuso's spotter plane is better efficiency at blind firing into smoke.

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,628 battles
1 hour ago, legoboy0401 said:

Also, people get this wrong: Fuso's spotter plane is not really for spotting either. BB spotter planes suck at spotting, mostly. No, the real use out of Fuso's spotter plane is better efficiency at blind firing into smoke.

Blind firing, or when you know you have the shell arc to hit someone but can't get a good vertical target and he's spotted, pop spotter plane and now you can see him over the island. 
Most games the spotter never gets used though. The max range of Fusou only really gets used when ships are spotted super early and you can pop off 20km shots, or late game when your side is clear and need to help the other side. Otherwise, there's just no need. You can provide far more effective fire when sub15km, even high tier. Fuso is more than capable of reminding Bismarcks and other Tier8 BB to not underestimate her. When fighting Tier V BB, it's just clubbing. They don't have the firepower or reload to keep up. 

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
2 hours ago, Seniorious said:

Blind firing, or when you know you have the shell arc to hit someone but can't get a good vertical target and he's spotted, pop spotter plane and now you can see him over the island. 
Most games the spotter never gets used though. The max range of Fusou only really gets used when ships are spotted super early and you can pop off 20km shots, or late game when your side is clear and need to help the other side. Otherwise, there's just no need. You can provide far more effective fire when sub15km, even high tier. Fuso is more than capable of reminding Bismarcks and other Tier8 BB to not underestimate her. When fighting Tier V BB, it's just clubbing. They don't have the firepower or reload to keep up. 

Yup. I learned that with Arizona quite some time ago, which is why I'm perfectly happy to play the Bayern, which does not have any aircraft or associated equipment embarked on either hull.

By the way, I played Fuso tonight, and what do you know? I dodged torpedoes from a La Glass. Fun, when your ship has a reputation for turning/reacting to imputs from the helm very slowly!

• Funny 1