You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wulfgarn

Anyone trying out WOWP? Same ol crap, just a different flavor.

25 comments in this topic

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I've flown 3 battles.

All 3 were defeats.

All three I was #1 in combat points for my team.

I get enough of that s**t here already. Not sure if I want to put myself through that in another game. :cap_fainting:

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[RUST]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

I tried it.

Its pure arcade now.

I think its better than it was a month ago, but its still crap.

They should have stopped making major change at the end of Alpha, start of closed Beta stage, and just refined it from there.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,769 posts
4,582 battles

It's good if you're a freerider...if you can shell money at WG...then you should find your own answer.

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles

I am.
It's War Thunder Arcade but Better. It's obviously NOT a flight sim game-- but why bother being a direct competitor to WT in that category? It beats the [edited] out Arcade mode though- only thing lacking are the aircraft themselves: that's a kink that WG will solve with time.

Things I've noticed that might need more immediate attention:

Pilot training is [edited]. Straight [edited]. Warships gets crewing right- it's comparable to tiers. 1 point in Planes is absurd [It's like 100,000], and if you move your pilot without 100,000 silver you can't use them for crap.

Single player cannot carry. This is a mixed bag. It prevents a single good player from controlling the match, and economically it works out since your score isn't as affected by Winning as in ships. However it leads to the scenario of T2 match, one player on a team has 23,173 points. Best player on enemy team? 3539. The high scorer? LOST. Again though, the way EXP and Cred is earned in Wp is different from Ws. Winning isn't what really matters for progression.

A/A firepower is way too damn high. Without a Bomber [which right now are RNG rewards or cost money, go figure] or attacker, once an area is capped, it's not really possible to take things back. Solo cap isn't a thing, but that's fair.
On a note, watching a DD eat planes like it was an Iowa is hilarious.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

So, you fly only three battles, and they happen to be a defeat. Writes whole update off Ok then...

• Cool 8

[SF-A]
Members
2,897 posts
5,717 battles

The UI isn't very helpful, and won't always tell you what's going on which can be frustrating, but its definitely better.

No seriously. You can be on fire and not know it.

Edited by pewpewpew42

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
10 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

So, you fly only three battles, and they happen to be a defeat. Writes whole update off Ok then...

Gotcha.

Thanks for stopping by. :Smile_Default:

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,824 posts
7,100 battles

Question to all who have tried this v2.0, is WOWP now playable (e.g competitive in random battles) with mouse and keyboard alone, or do joysticks still rule the roost?

Is it less "twitchy"?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,979 posts
7,530 battles

I just played for the first time in months, in my cute lil T4 premie F4FX thingy. We won, even though I was trying out a joystick and barely contributed. Cappin for teh win!

I honestly saw nothing different than I did before, but I also, again, haven't played in months, so I didn't even recall what the game looked like. :cap_haloween: It was "fun"-ish, but it was very much so nothing to write home about, nothing to cause me to want to launch the game again, especially since I had to install the malware they call Game Center to get the game to work.

That alone is enough to make me walk away.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,979 posts
7,530 battles
4 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Question to all who have tried this v2.0, is WOWP now playable (e.g competitive in random battles) with mouse and keyboard alone, or do joysticks still rule the roost?

Is it less "twitchy"?

It's better with a kb & mouse, honestly. The game's mechanics weren't really meant for joystick control, even though the option is there. It was always better and easier with a keyboard and mouse, for me anyway.

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles

It's playable with the mouse and keyboard, but the main drawback is that you can't keep turning in a tight circle without continuing to scroll your mouse.  I think I'll invest in a joystick (or an XBOX controller) if I am going to keep playing.

[LHG]
Members
1,657 posts
4,930 battles

Actually, I think the game is MUCH better than it was before the update.  

The conquest mode is much better in ver 2.0 that the standard battle mode in the 1.XXX version of the game. 

1)Everyone has objectives which tends to force players to cooperate with each other more.  In that way they've taken a page from WOWS by assigning key base areas that have to be captured/neutralized in order to win.

2) If you get shot down you can respawn and reenter the game either from your original base, or from any captured airbase on the map.

3) Each airbase objective has it's own computer guided defense force which has to be overcome to capture the base so this has a bit of the flavor of Co-op mode in WOWS so both fighter and ground attack aircraft have to work together of achieve your objectives.  

4) Then there is the red team and at a certain point there's going to be a clash, probably over a contested "base" where things can get really hairy with a combination of base defense aircraft, friendly aircraft and red team aircraft all mixing it up in a massive furball.  

5) The aim point indicator (the red circle) of the old version is gone.  That circle used to tell you when an aircraft was in range and where to send your bullets to hit that aircraft.  It's now been replaced by a fixed sight so now you have to ... 

A) Figure out how to lead your target so that it and your bullets intersect. 

B) Know what the range of your guns are so that you can figure out how close the bad guys need to be before your firepower can reach them. 

6)  With the disappearance of the aim point circle, WOWP's had given a telescopic view, much like the binocular view in WOWS.  This can help give you a better view of what's up ahead and also helps in getting your bullets in the right place if you are firing from long range. 

7) The Ground Attack mode has been changed somewhat.  It used to be any aircraft could take on most targets with it's machine guns and blow it up.  Now, many of the targets just shrug off 30 caliber machine guns fire so you actually need to load up on some ordinance if you want to take those targets out.  Since the game now works on taking bases and one of the things you need to do to take a base is suppress it with firepower, it now gives an incentive for aircraft such as multirole fighters to mount a few bombs and/or rockets onboard to deal with those nasty ground installations. 

8)  Combat against other aircraft is both easier and harder.  The hard part is getting the hang of where to aim against other fast moving aircraft.  In this way the game has become more line WOWS where the system is not going to tell you where to aim, but it will give you tools to help you figure that out yourself. 

The easier part is how to get a plane off your tail.  In the old version of WOWPs, If you got caught in a brawl with a more maneuverable foe, you were probably dead meat. This forced you to "Boom and Zoom" with heavier aircraft where you would streak by your enemy, put as many bullets into them as you could for the brief moments they were in your sights and then hit the gas and try to open the distance enough so that you didn't get exploderated when that more maneuverable foe turned around to take you under fire.  

That can still happen but in this version, when you get locked in combat with other aircraft, there are generally quite a few around which means the chance of someone engaging the aircraft on your tail increases dramatically and this minimizes the old "spiral of doom" and helps keep you alive longer which is always kind of fun.   

Another nice feature is that you get a warning when someone is on your tail, sort of like you might get from a radio call or just looking over your shoulder.  As such, your first warning that you are in trouble isn't the patter patter rip rip rip of the enemies shells ripping you apart and you desperately trying to figure out where the plane that is turning you into swiss cheese is at. 

9) My impression is that the aircraft handle in a somewhat more realistic way.  For example the old climb until you stall and then fall back on the enemy below you actually kind of works in this version while in the older version is just made you a sitting duck.  I could also swear there have been times when my aircraft has been able to "slip" to the side a bit which was kind of cool. 

10) The game now has Bombers in it which can be very useful for attacking enemy bases.  You earn these through "Loot Crates" which are similar to WOWS containers.  In some of these loot crates are parts of various bombers and if and when you collect enough parts, you can build your bomber and then ... Bombs Away.  I haven't gotten that far yet but I'm looking forward to that game play element. 

11)  They've upgraded the maps which makes them more visibly interesting but also created terrain obstacles which never played much of a role in the old WOWP's game simply because they now can be tools to help aid in the defense of your friendly bases or create obstacles or even advantages when launching an attack on an enemy base. 

12) Like WOWS, the new WOWP's give you credit and awards for doing things other than just shooting down other planes or blowing up ground targets.  Now you get credit for base captures and defenses, how long you were in the game etc. All that now has a part to play in the credits and experience earned with each mission.

I'm sure there are things that I haven't mentioned or have just overlooked, however version 2.0 is almost a brand new and much better game, so no, this isn't your father's Oldsmobile and I, for one, am really enjoying the new version.  

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,657 posts
4,930 battles
21 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Is it less "twitchy"?

Keyboard and mouse work really well with the game.  As mentioned above, if you are in a extended sustained tight turn you do need to keep scrolling with your mouse to stay in that turn but I haven't found that to be much of a problem.  

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,824 posts
7,100 battles
4 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Keyboard and mouse work really well with the game.  As mentioned above, if you are in a extended sustained tight turn you do need to keep scrolling with your mouse to stay in that turn but I haven't found that to be much of a problem.  

Fine, sounds much more user friendly than the old version. I hear they have bombers now, so will I be able to carpet bomb with a b25 Mitchell? Or drop a biggy with a Lancaster? Must admit, bombers were (maybe still are) fun the last time I played WT (in Sim and Arcade).

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles

I can't even play the game, because of the random drops in frame rate. I can get around 50 FPS on medium graphics in WoWs, and I think I get around 40 FPS on medium graphics in War Thunder. However, in WoWp, the frame rate keeps dropping below 20 FPS - even at minimum graphics. There's obviously something wrong with the optimization in WoWP.

Edited by Aduial

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,460 posts
11,777 battles
3 hours ago, Wulfgarn said:

I've flown 3 battles.

All 3 were defeats.

All three I was #1 in combat points for my team.

I get enough of that s**t here already. Not sure if I want to put myself through that in another game. :cap_fainting:

Maybe playing objectives for the win, instead of damage farming for win8 would be a better ecperience.

[LHG]
Members
1,657 posts
4,930 battles
1 hour ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Fine, sounds much more user friendly than the old version. I hear they have bombers now, so will I be able to carpet bomb with a b25 Mitchell? Or drop a biggy with a Lancaster? Must admit, bombers were (maybe still are) fun the last time I played WT (in Sim and Arcade).

The Bombers that are currently available are

Tier 3: Bristol Blenhem Mk IV

Tier 6: Douglas A-26B Invader

Tier 8: Myasishchev RB-17

Right now you can earn these bombers for free by gathering Loot Crates from daily missions up through November 2nd.  After that the only way to get these bombers is to buy them in the Premium Shop.  I have a feeling that if this feature works out well for WG there will probably be additional bombers available in the future and quite possibly an inclusion as another line on the tech trees, but that will probably be down the road sometime. 

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,824 posts
7,100 battles
49 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

The Bombers that are currently available are

Tier 3: Bristol Blenhem Mk IV

Tier 6: Douglas A-26B Invader

Tier 8: Myasishchev RB-17

Right now you can earn these bombers for free by gathering Loot Crates from daily missions up through November 2nd.  After that the only way to get these bombers is to buy them in the Premium Shop.  I have a feeling that if this feature works out well for WG there will probably be additional bombers available in the future and quite possibly an inclusion as another line on the tech trees, but that will probably be down the road sometime. 

It's the down the road sometime that worries me. I am sure if they were a little more prompt with getting them sketched up and available, they would create a great pull factor while offering a slower form of gameplay sure to attract a certain crowd.. my 2 cents anyway.

[LHG]
Members
1,657 posts
4,930 battles
47 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

It's the down the road sometime that worries me. I am sure if they were a little more prompt with getting them sketched up and available, they would create a great pull factor while offering a slower form of gameplay sure to attract a certain crowd.. my 2 cents anyway.

My personal opinion is that WG is looking to see how people respond to the new system and it is a new system.  In a lot of ways it's like they are rebooting the entire game.

For the most part, I guess the many of the people on the WOWP's forum don't like this new version at all but to be honest, I play the game, read what they have to say and actively wonder if we are all playing the same game or not.  Many of the things they see as problems I see as making the game better. 

The one thing that really has rubbed them raw however is that this is a reboot, not a modification.  Everyone keeps the planes they've earned, all their credits, gold and tokens, but as far as I can tell, the old medals and accomplishments including the number of battled count and other historical information has been deleted and everyone is starting off at the same place.  I suppose if I had a few thousand games and a chest full of awards, I'd probably be a bit ticked off to start over at zero in that category again too. 

But I think that WG realized that the game was dying as it was and so they consciously took a hard look at the elements that have made WOT and WOWS successes and have taken action to rebuild WOWP game around those concepts rather than take the alternative, which would be to kill the game off. I think this new version shows that WG really does want this game to succeed and is willing to invest in it, up to a certain point, to make that happen. 

Of course those who are simply in the game to do nothing but dog fight or blow up ground targets in peace are less than perfectly pleased with the changes but I kind of look at it as if WG didn't do something like this, there would be no WOWP to be pleased or displeased about. At least this way, the game has a chance. 

• Cool 1

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles
1 hour ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

My personal opinion is that WG is looking to see how people respond to the new system and it is a new system.  In a lot of ways it's like they are rebooting the entire game.

For the most part, I guess the many of the people on the WOWP's forum don't like this new version at all but to be honest, I play the game, read what they have to say and actively wonder if we are all playing the same game or not.  Many of the things they see as problems I see as making the game better. 

The one thing that really has rubbed them raw however is that this is a reboot, not a modification.  Everyone keeps the planes they've earned, all their credits, gold and tokens, but as far as I can tell, the old medals and accomplishments including the number of battled count and other historical information has been deleted and everyone is starting off at the same place.  I suppose if I had a few thousand games and a chest full of awards, I'd probably be a bit ticked off to start over at zero in that category again too. 

But I think that WG realized that the game was dying as it was and so they consciously took a hard look at the elements that have made WOT and WOWS successes and have taken action to rebuild WOWP game around those concepts rather than take the alternative, which would be to kill the game off. I think this new version shows that WG really does want this game to succeed and is willing to invest in it, up to a certain point, to make that happen. 

Of course those who are simply in the game to do nothing but dog fight or blow up ground targets in peace are less than perfectly pleased with the changes but I kind of look at it as if WG didn't do something like this, there would be no WOWP to be pleased or displeased about. At least this way, the game has a chance. 

The salt on that forum is amazeballs.

UMf39f8.png

It reminds me of the Fire Emblem fandom when Awakening dropped-- same crap: game taken in a new direction. Massive hate from the old guard of a dying game, despite large improvements.

Also, I saw the "Dumb post of the day" in my  quick glance into that saltmine.
Someone was [edited] about Bombers. Bombers in an aircraft game.

Not only did he lose all standing for that alone, his reasoning was even more [edited]: he was whining about how Bomber Gameplay is a high-altitude strategic bomber sim, no wait, he followed that by saying anyone who'd play it is deranged because "Strategic Bombing is an atrocity and shouldn't be represented in any game". Oh [edited] please, if he played ships, I'd wish dets on him.

That said, watching the old guard reel before the new is time for some Sabaton:

Edited by AirshipCanon

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,769 posts
4,582 battles

There are people who are angry because the very concept of respawning disgust them. How would you feel if Ships get respawn in (and as) its only battle mode?

WoWP 2.0 was met with overwhelmingly negative review in all three clusters during testing (especially the third round that is the Common Test), and they *forced* it through and plan to fix things on the way. An all-in gambit, throwing away a significant chunk of playerbase in hope for new ones.

There really are things that are steps backwards, but what the people on WoWP forums are fixated on most is respawning, changes to flight mechanics (most every planes fly the same now), and how WG/Persha simply disregard every reviews and criticisms, constructive or otherwise, and push the update through almost exactly the same as the Common Test iteration, without any explanation, which goes to show that it is indeed futile to provide feedbacks for Planes, unlike in Ships where criticisms were heard, smoke changes were reconsidered and IFHE's minus 8% to fire chance for guns larger than 149mm did not pass. People that have played War Thunder also claim that WoWP is now a cheap knockoff of it too.

Though I'd say respawning is what killed many of the locals' sanity. It is THAT alien and unbearable, they find it an insult to intelligence and abilities. There are still sane people there, but the outrage is real, some legit and a lot petty.

Having stuck with Planes from the post-NDA Closed Beta up to this point myself, I certainly don't like all planes flying almost the same without the subtleties that made choosing planes interesting, the flight instrumentation all gone (new interface is pared down so much that it is information-starved), and M/KB scheme getting the shaft by the Devs forgetting to enable manual flaps control... The pay is really good though, I'm swimming in sliver even with standard account a few days in, and I just won a day of premium.

The mode was designed for players to play (A developer said that more player would solve the problem with the mode), but with so few players on NA cluster a lot of time victory or defeat is the luck of the draw, depending on what the bots on your team are doing, and you can only do so much to influence a battle because you cannot solo a sector while being unable to command the bots (you could do that in 1.9, to a limited degree). Though there are defeats that can be attributed to player error as well...

You likely won't be getting anything helpful on WoWP forums until the NBC waste start to clean up a bit...

P.S. Strategic bombers (B-17 series, HP 52, Fw 200) seem to be used by NPC only, the ones that can be used are the smaller tactical bombers, and they are pretty boring, as you go as high as you can, drop all your dump, wait 30sec for another load, repeat...

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,429 posts
9,564 battles

Played a bunch this weekend got to say it was a lot of fun. Fun for me is the most important quality in a game. I played a lot in the closed Beta and it just was not fun and was down right bad when compared to War Thunder... now... wow it is fun!

It is Arcade but it is fun arcade. Made it into tier 4 in 5 lines really enjoying it!

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles
On 10/16/2017 at 9:07 AM, pyantoryng said:

There are people who are angry because the very concept of respawning disgust them. How would you feel if Ships get respawn in (and as) its only battle mode?

WoWP 2.0 was met with overwhelmingly negative review in all three clusters during testing (especially the third round that is the Common Test), and they *forced* it through and plan to fix things on the way. An all-in gambit, throwing away a significant chunk of playerbase in hope for new ones.

There really are things that are steps backwards, but what the people on WoWP forums are fixated on most is respawning, changes to flight mechanics (most every planes fly the same now), and how WG/Persha simply disregard every reviews and criticisms, constructive or otherwise, and push the update through almost exactly the same as the Common Test iteration, without any explanation, which goes to show that it is indeed futile to provide feedbacks for Planes, unlike in Ships where criticisms were heard, smoke changes were reconsidered and IFHE's minus 8% to fire chance for guns larger than 149mm did not pass. People that have played War Thunder also claim that WoWP is now a cheap knockoff of it too.

Though I'd say respawning is what killed many of the locals' sanity. It is THAT alien and unbearable, they find it an insult to intelligence and abilities. There are still sane people there, but the outrage is real, some legit and a lot petty.

Having stuck with Planes from the post-NDA Closed Beta up to this point myself, I certainly don't like all planes flying almost the same without the subtleties that made choosing planes interesting, the flight instrumentation all gone (new interface is pared down so much that it is information-starved), and M/KB scheme getting the shaft by the Devs forgetting to enable manual flaps control... The pay is really good though, I'm swimming in sliver even with standard account a few days in, and I just won a day of premium.

The mode was designed for players to play (A developer said that more player would solve the problem with the mode), but with so few players on NA cluster a lot of time victory or defeat is the luck of the draw, depending on what the bots on your team are doing, and you can only do so much to influence a battle because you cannot solo a sector while being unable to command the bots (you could do that in 1.9, to a limited degree). Though there are defeats that can be attributed to player error as well...

You likely won't be getting anything helpful on WoWP forums until the NBC waste start to clean up a bit...

P.S. Strategic bombers (B-17 series, HP 52, Fw 200) seem to be used by NPC only, the ones that can be used are the smaller tactical bombers, and they are pretty boring, as you go as high as you can, drop all your dump, wait 30sec for another load, repeat...

Honestly though, with Planes, Respawning is kind of needed.

Ships and Tanks have a different setup, and let's be honest about it, the speed of the game is different.

There's only 3 current bombers, I'd be highly doubtful that they'd keep the larger heavy bombers out of the active lines once Bombers are fully implemented. [And that guy's criticism is still 500% [edited]]

EDIT: It's not just "Highly doubtful" that the Heavies are staying out of player hands. It's outright confirmed, here's a Link: (http://blog.worldofwarplanes.com/indev/world-warplanes-20-new-beginning/) that Heavy Bombers, such as the B-17 will be in lines eventually. Right now, Bombers are in a testing phase. 

2.0 is a complete overhaul, and it was needed: World of Warplanes was DEAD. It's a hail mary to save a dying game-- not unlike what I mentioned in my post, Fire Emblem Awakening-- it's a radically different approach that gets all the old guard up in arms, but they can shove it up their rear, because the game they wanted so much is on its way out.

Edited by AirshipCanon