You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
megadeux

yet another idea for CVs

8 comments in this topic

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles

Here's my idea for modifying CVs;

First off, add a comprehensive tutorial for them in-game. 

second, make CVs planes cheaper, as they're pretty expensive right now.

third, remove all AS loadouts, they don't contribute much, and make the game very frustrating to play, instead, we have a balanced loadout, as the stock option this loadout has the same number of squadrons as the strike loadout, but more fighters, and fewer bombers. 

fourth, USN CVs get five plane squadrons, with more flexible loadouts, and straight drops, these don't diverge or come together, instead, its a balance between IJN drops and current USN drops.

fifth, add an AA marker next to ship names when in CV view, this marker is very general, simply being red for high AA, green for low AA, and orange for mediocre AA, these correspond to how fast it takes for the ship to, on average, shoot down one of your planes. this would only calculate top hull, unmodified AA.

sixth, place at the loading screen of a battle a tip, stating that, to be protected from CVs ships must be grouped together and in each other's AA ranges. 

seventh, remove two CV matches in which the CVs are at different tiers.

and lastly, give low tier CVs manual attacks.

Edited by megadeux

[HYDRA]
Members
136 posts
1,167 battles

I have quite a few problems with this, 1st of all telling the enemy CV player who is AA spec and who is not would be just plain awful, I still occasionally get struck in the Cleveland and this would probably prevent that. Also, removing AS specs would be a massive problem for everyone who is not A) a cruiser with top tier AA or B) a carrier especially destroyers (and I already run the C hull on my Farragut and occasionally drop hydro on my lo yang to get def aa when I div with a CV) I rather dislike being permaspotted with only a 1 in 3 chance that my CV can help me out even if he notices/wants to.The loading tip is a good idea though I doubt many people read those, the low tier CV manual attacks were removed to lessen seal clubbing IIRC.

• Cool 1

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
10 minutes ago, Herodotus4 said:

I have quite a few problems with this, 1st of all telling the enemy CV player who is AA spec and who is not would be just plain awful, I still occasionally get struck in the Cleveland and this would probably prevent that. Also, removing AS specs would be a massive problem for everyone who is not A) a cruiser with top tier AA or B) a carrier especially destroyers (and I already run the C hull on my Farragut and occasionally drop hydro on my lo yang to get def aa when I div with a CV) I rather dislike being permaspotted with only a 1 in 3 chance that my CV can help me out even if he notices/wants to.The loading tip is a good idea though I doubt many people read those, the low tier CV manual attacks were removed to lessen seal clubbing IIRC.

Most of these are too make it easier for low tier players, and AA loadouts are failures most of the time, for example, if I'm fighting an AS lexington, I don't care, I'll spot his fighters, and kill the enemies where he's not. All it is are a frustration to less skilled players, often game breaking for them. Also, the AA tell wouldn't really be able to tell you A) the effect priority AA would have, or B) Def AA, as those are boosts, only the average AA. And lastly, I tried low tiers after the changes, it makes it ridiculously hard to kill anything. Or even hit anything, couple that with low strike speed, and it makes it very frustrating.

[HYDRA]
Members
136 posts
1,167 battles
1 hour ago, megadeux said:

Most of these are too make it easier for low tier players, and AA loadouts are failures most of the time, for example, if I'm fighting an AS lexington, I don't care, I'll spot his fighters, and kill the enemies where he's not. All it is are a frustration to less skilled players, often game breaking for them. Also, the AA tell wouldn't really be able to tell you A) the effect priority AA would have, or B) Def AA, as those are boosts, only the average AA. And lastly, I tried low tiers after the changes, it makes it ridiculously hard to kill anything. Or even hit anything, couple that with low strike speed, and it makes it very frustrating.

What I mean is that the AA tell would give you an idea if the minotaur you are looking at has AFT, BFT, manual AA, the AA flag and the AA range modification, the difference that having that makes is to easily double the AA power (factoring the extra range in it's more) also, AS load outs can help your team a lot: he can chase your planes away from his DDs and you can't do anything about his spotting. Dead DDs through spotting does the team a lot more good then damage to battleships through torpedoes, unless it is a standard battle.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
3 hours ago, Herodotus4 said:

What I mean is that the AA tell would give you an idea if the minotaur you are looking at has AFT, BFT, manual AA, the AA flag and the AA range modification, the difference that having that makes is to easily double the AA power (factoring the extra range in it's more) also, AS load outs can help your team a lot: he can chase your planes away from his DDs and you can't do anything about his spotting. Dead DDs through spotting does the team a lot more good then damage to battleships through torpedoes, unless it is a standard battle.

I fail to see how a basic warning of how deadly AA is is any different from checking AA ratings at the start of the map, just easier for newbs to use. Also, its much easier to just kill the DD then to spot him and give the enemy CV time to engage me.

Members
18 posts
1,442 battles

I don’t like the AA indicator. Knowing what ships have good and bad AA is a skill CV drivers need to learn. It doesn’t take having your planes evaporated by a Cleveland more than once to figure out to avoid them! (It might have taken me 2-3 times...)

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,503 battles

No. Especially no to taking away AS builds and giving AA markers to CV captains. Part of being a good CV captain includes learning what ships to avoid.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
On 10/20/2017 at 7:32 AM, Wuuthrad_2 said:

I don’t like the AA indicator. Knowing what ships have good and bad AA is a skill CV drivers need to learn. It doesn’t take having your planes evaporated by a Cleveland more than once to figure out to avoid them! (It might have taken me 2-3 times...)

Well yes, but I can always check the AA levels of the enemy ships while laying into the battle. No difference really, just a visual reminder for the fairly forgetful.

On 10/20/2017 at 8:24 AM, smf117 said:

No. Especially no to taking away AS builds and giving AA markers to CV captains. Part of being a good CV captain includes learning what ships to avoid.

I explained the reasoning behind the markers already. For example, if I'm in my shoukaku I can just check the enemies aa ratings and avoid those over 75. And the reason for removing AS builds is;

A; I hate them personally.

B; they aren't very good at defending their team anyway.

C; the enemy CV generally gets a kill in anyway, and has a reasonable chance of disrupting the enemy CVs strike, or at least getting a more damaging strike in while the enemy CV is trying to strike. Which leaves the match tipped in the favor of the strike CV.