You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RAINMAKER_13

Hating and Ignoring DDs

15 comments in this topic

Members
11 posts
4,514 battles

59e358e8e4b08_insanityfoldedhands.jpg.4bd0a58cdcaf9e4478b38b211249757e.jpg

I kill destroyers.  I drive a cruiser.  I make mistakes.

Unlike the noble battleship or sleek cruiser the destroyer gets no respect.  They are considered by many as necessary evils, on the same level as attorneys.  If you have to have one you want  the meanest, nastiest one on your side.

Like unwanted sandlot football player told to “go long for a pass” we watch as our destroyers often go like rockets into the battle solo.  Everyone else are “pacing themselves”, well behind them, waiting to see how the battle develops.

DDs “scout” (a polite term for being on your own) far away from friendly supporting fire while looking for trouble.  I foolishly would shadow alone them as backup.  When the rath of an enemy grouping was discovered the nimble DD and myself would take the punishment.

I am changing my ways.  I have seen “the light.”  I will keep my DDs under my wing but always insure that I am under the wing of a battleship that has the range and firepower to help balance the scales.  

Lone wolves die alone.  Cruisers can give friendly DDs covering fire but they can be outmannned and  outgunned when they are the first to make contact with a battle group.  

A battleship’s cover is an awesome force.  If a battleship  expects a cruiser to prevent a destroyer’s torpedoes it must work as a team with that cruiser.  The cruiser that supports destroyers needs support from the battleship.  In a team those who give support get support... and survive.

[SONUM]
Beta Testers
566 posts
3,796 battles

Unlike the noble battleship or sleek cruiser the destroyer gets no respect.  They are considered by many as necessary evils, on the same level as attorneys.  If you have to have one you want  the meanest, nastiest one on your side.

Oh geez. Thanks for the compliment.  This will earn you party favors.

23 minutes ago, RAINMAKER_13 said:

DDs “scout” (a polite term for being on your own) far away from friendly supporting fire while looking for trouble.  I foolishly would shadow alone them as backup.  When the rath of an enemy grouping was discovered the nimble DD and myself would take the punishment.

Good.  You shouldn't be 2km behind me and trying to blind launch torpedoes at the cap through me to begin with.  If I'm in my IJN DD I don't want you spoiling the beautiful launch that I spent 2 minutes on approach to line up at the perfect 30 angle on a straightlining battleship.

26 minutes ago, RAINMAKER_13 said:

Lone wolves die alone.  Cruisers can give friendly DDs covering fire but they can be outmannned and  outgunned when they are the first to make contact with a battle group.  

I agree again.  You shouldn't get exposed in a position to be the prime target against 3-4 BB's plus CA's.  If our BB's are yoloing away from the cap, then don't come near it.

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,481 battles

The initial post is well stated.  I do enjoy playing a DD more so than other classes.  It is interesting that you stated that they are going solo, a lone wolf, and usually pay the price.  So true!  A team needs to plan and stay together, not get divided and die.  Nobody wants to be the single fish in the fishbowl,.....

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,236 battles
1 hour ago, WhimsicalPacifist said:

Oh geez. Thanks for the compliment.  This will earn you party favors.

Actually, I am kind of proud of that one; great description and spot on!

1 hour ago, WhimsicalPacifist said:

Good.  You shouldn't be 2km behind me and trying to blind launch torpedoes at the cap through me to begin with.  If I'm in my IJN DD I don't want you spoiling the beautiful launch that I spent 2 minutes on approach to line up at the perfect 30 angle on a straightlining battleship.

Please don't "help" anymore. This guy is actually telling players how they should support their DD's, a position I sincerely agree with, and you want to give him grief; I just want to say "Thank You" for all the support, as it is certainly rare enough.

• Cool 1

[CK5]
Members
804 posts
6,555 battles

I always try to support friendly DDs in my CA, especially when our DD is trying to cap early in a match.  I stay outside of the cap unless there is clearly light opposition but if our DD flushes a red DD then I provide gunfire to kill it if possible.  I never launch torpedoes into a contested cap when a friendly DD is in it.  

Of course, if the red team chooses to push that cap hard then both of us can pay a big price, especially if we have little support from our own BBs.  Sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesn't.  However, I would never expect a DD to take a cap completely unsupported.  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,624 posts
9,027 battles
1 minute ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I always try to support friendly DDs in my CA, especially when our DD is trying to cap early in a match.  I stay outside of the cap unless there is clearly light opposition but if our DD flushes a red DD then I provide gunfire to kill it if possible.  I never launch torpedoes into a contested cap when a friendly DD is in it.  

Of course, if the red team chooses to push that cap hard then both of us can pay a big price, especially if we have little support from our own BBs.  Sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesn't.  However, I would never expect a DD to take a cap completely unsupported.  

Heck, I will try to support friendly DD's with my BB's, a couple of BB caliber shells will really ruin a DD's day.

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,442 battles

sounds to me like someone clicks battle for a random battle and expects teamwork....If you have no high expectations you will have no disappointments..

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,050 battles
24 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Heck, I will try to support friendly DD's with my BB's, a couple of BB caliber shells will really ruin a DD's day.

I have to shoot at DD's all of the time with my BB's too and it shouldn't be that way. Every one wants to be a lone wolf in a team game. Battle starts; Whats the Plan team? A and B, then 3 people head towards C get deleted and the team gets steam rolled. The team that most of the players work together wins. I love it most when the whole team gets behind Islands and pop out 1 at a time with 8 ships aiming at them. Part of the problem is that no one is in charge, of course if some one was in charge only half ( I say half because a I am optimistic) of the team would listen. The flaws aren't really in the game the flaws are inherent in the Ho Mo Sapiens society.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
1,019 posts
13,047 battles
25 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

^^^This^^^

Nobody should be hanging back and anyone with a gun should be supporting the green team "scouts".

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,050 battles
8 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

^^^This^^^

Nobody should be hanging back and anyone with a gun should be supporting the green team "scouts".

That's the problem, getting the nobodies to join the team and with up to 11 nobodies in a random match, good luck.

[SONUM]
Beta Testers
566 posts
3,796 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

Actually, I am kind of proud of that one; great description and spot on!

I realize I might have come across as a bit pissed, but my worst fear as a CA/CL/DD is going for cap and seeing BB's behind me choose to go from A cap to C cap.  There's a way to play a weak side with BB/CA/DD but completely abandoning the side cedes any influence those ships might have had for the first 3-5 minutes of the match.  Fighting retreat to bleed the enemy?  Yes please.  Complete abandonment to block your guns with the huge mountain on Trap?  Looses games.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,236 battles
5 hours ago, WhimsicalPacifist said:

my worst fear as a CA/CL/DD is going for cap and seeing BB's behind me choose to go from A cap to C cap

HAH!! Tell me about it! I load into a match in my Kami, ask for support at "A", see three "ok's" and such, get to "A", mini map showing me my entire team, minus one really dumb DD, at "C". Love that scenario!

5 hours ago, WhimsicalPacifist said:

Fighting retreat to bleed the enemy?

yeah, with torps if you're lucky, with guns if you aren't.

8 hours ago, WhimsicalPacifist said:

I don't want you spoiling the beautiful launch that I spent 2 minutes on approach to line up at the perfect 30 angle on a straightlining battleship.

Nobody wants this, and I have also experienced this incredibly frustrating scenario. With both CA's, CL's, and BB's (usually DD's get out of the way, not always, but usually). I don't mind a guy who is 3 to 5 K behind me, staying hidden but waiting to pounce when (not if, when; I play way too aggressively) I get spotted, like OP said. The guy who scares me is that same guy but he gets excited and launches his 10K torps at a Yamato 12K away. Never going to hit the Yammy; certain to wrack your team mates. Even if he misses you he's managed to screw up every approach you were trying to make.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles
18 hours ago, WhimsicalPacifist said:

I realize I might have come across as a bit pissed, but my worst fear as a CA/CL/DD is going for cap and seeing BB's behind me choose to go from A cap to C cap.  There's a way to play a weak side with BB/CA/DD but completely abandoning the side cedes any influence those ships might have had for the first 3-5 minutes of the match.  Fighting retreat to bleed the enemy?  Yes please.  Complete abandonment to block your guns with the huge mountain on Trap?  Looses games.

You should be BB players are to demanding.