You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fletcher7_1944

Advice needed.

9 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
3,256 posts

I'm currently trying to finish my Gnevny grind, but it's slow going.   I'm not even sure exactly where I am in the grind, because I mistakenly converted it's xp a couple of times... (I have Minsk, Oggie and Kiev already, thanks to the split a few months back)  I figure I must be pushing at least 50k though.

Here's the thing, though- the tier 6 mm is just an utter and complete turn-off.  Even though I actually like this ship, I don't play it often because of that.  Forget about playing it in Co-op- as far as I'm concerned, tier 6+ is a nonstarter in a DD due to the ridiculous AI programming.  Thus I'm stuck with Randoms only.  (my appologies to whatever team I end up on)

So, 2 questions, really:

1) how the hell do you make this thing work in the current pvp environment??  With everyone staying at range, and refusing to push I spend most matches with nothing to shoot at.  I started finding my groove last match, blasting away at a couple of low health BB's and a Spee, but had to be very careful as there were 2 unspotted DD's in the area.  Then the team collapsed, and suddenly I had ships blasting away at me from all directions.  At least I had good damage in- Arizona blundered into a nice torpedo spread,lol. And was 3rd on the team for points.  

2) Is Minsk any more fun to play?

I'm seriously considering calling it a grind and moving on.  This and Farragut are my last two tier 6 grinds  (well save for RN BB's if I keep going with them), and I'm sick to death of the tier 6 mm.  I hear Minsk and Leningrad calling my name,lol.

Oddly enough, I get along somewhat better with Farragut.  Different role, I know- but even with the moonshot arcs necessitating being fairly close, I do better in it.

Maybe it's a sign to just say eff it with RU DD's.   I gotta say, though- Gnevny is pretty darn good at torpedobeats!

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
733 posts
11,973 battles

I kept the Gnevny in port, but that is primarily because I have a premium camo on it. I did reasonably well with the ship when it was T5, and not very good at all with it at T6, though I have only a handful of games with it as a T6 ship. Minsk is fun, but if you are going to pick up Leningrad I think you will likely end up just wanting to get through the Minsk grind as quickly as possible. They are essentially the same ship, but the Leningrad has torpedoes with an eight kilometer range, making her a decent torpedo boat, while the Minsk has only half that range on her torpedoes.

So, in answer to your questions:

1) I could not make Gnevny work for me at T6, though I only had to play a handful of games before getting to Minsk.

2) Minsk was more fun, but is just a pale pretender (in my opinion) compared to the Leningrad.

Ognevoi and Kiev... I really have fun with them, though I play them much less these days than I did while climbing the tech tree. Both are, I think, well worth the earlier grind. 

Farragut was fun for me. I enjoyed Mahan more though, as she has long range torpedoes available. Benson is a blast. And I am told Fletcher is a beast that makes the U.S. DD line really shine.

Respects,

Am

[TBW]
Members
6,417 posts
12,065 battles

It took me a bit to start to like the Russian DD's, they are much different. In my opinion the Minsk is better than the Gnevny. Watch where the guns are pointed on BB's they can't track your speed so you can run in and torp lone BB's. They of course are better at a distance. Get yourself in range and fire a couple salvos and then retreat. The enemy team wastes it's time aiming at you rather than the rest of your team. When you are undetected go back in and do it again. Use your smoke to set fires but don't stay in it too long. Fire is your friend.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,365 posts
12,198 battles

How is your Gnevny captain set up? For my non-US gunboat DD's I still use AFT to get the gun range (even after the stealth firing 'correction'). I then run and gun like Sovereigndawg does. Gnevy, and similar, are great harassers in the early game. Pick off low health ships. Set and reset fires. Toward end game, when there are fewer reds able to support each other, look for ambush opportunities. She is a good ship. I have Anshan so I didn't keep her. I also have Leningrad so I don't have Minsk.

Good luck with her.

Edited by Khafni

[SPTR]
Members
25,820 posts
11,141 battles

You play selfishly especially if you are bot tier(you're bottom tier), or at least second line cap contester other nation DDs are more suited for taking and fighting at caps, your Gnevny plays like a miniture cruiser, long range gunboat DD.

Minsk is good but I enjoyed the Kiev and Tashkent more. /^_\\

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
5 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

I'm currently trying to finish my Gnevny grind, but it's slow going.   I'm not even sure exactly where I am in the grind, because I mistakenly converted it's xp a couple of times... (I have Minsk, Oggie and Kiev already, thanks to the split a few months back)  I figure I must be pushing at least 50k though.

Here's the thing, though- the tier 6 mm is just an utter and complete turn-off.  Even though I actually like this ship, I don't play it often because of that.  Forget about playing it in Co-op- as far as I'm concerned, tier 6+ is a nonstarter in a DD due to the ridiculous AI programming.  Thus I'm stuck with Randoms only.  (my appologies to whatever team I end up on)

So, 2 questions, really:

1) how the hell do you make this thing work in the current pvp environment??  With everyone staying at range, and refusing to push I spend most matches with nothing to shoot at.  I started finding my groove last match, blasting away at a couple of low health BB's and a Spee, but had to be very careful as there were 2 unspotted DD's in the area.  Then the team collapsed, and suddenly I had ships blasting away at me from all directions.  At least I had good damage in- Arizona blundered into a nice torpedo spread,lol. And was 3rd on the team for points.  

2) Is Minsk any more fun to play?

I'm seriously considering calling it a grind and moving on.  This and Farragut are my last two tier 6 grinds  (well save for RN BB's if I keep going with them), and I'm sick to death of the tier 6 mm.  I hear Minsk and Leningrad calling my name,lol.

Oddly enough, I get along somewhat better with Farragut.  Different role, I know- but even with the moonshot arcs necessitating being fairly close, I do better in it.

Maybe it's a sign to just say eff it with RU DD's.   I gotta say, though- Gnevny is pretty darn good at torpedobeats!

Tier 6 is the cream on the cake for mm but the very worst for maps.

Tier 7 is horrific and for a dd player all radar and bad maps and star wars focused weapons vs you.

Tier 5 has the very best maps and fun factor that or tier 2 for a dd.

Tier 7 onwards is simply sanity breaking mostly.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,256 posts
3 hours ago, Khafni said:

How is your Gnevny captain set up? For my non-US gunboat DD's I still use AFT to get the gun range (even after the stealth firing 'correction'). I then run and gun like Sovereigndawg does. Gnevy, and similar, are great harassers in the early game. Pick off low health ships. Set and reset fires. Toward end game, when there are fewer reds able to support each other, look for ambush opportunities. She is a good ship. I have Anshan so I didn't keep her. I also have Leningrad so I don't have Minsk.

Good luck with her.

I have a 13 pointer in it, with:

Priority Target

Preventative Maintenance

Expert Marksman

Last Stand

Demolition Expert

IFHE

This was Podvoisky's captain, which was ground entirely in co-op, hence the doubled up 1 and 2 point skills.   WG has a huge boner for the AI breaking modules with EVERY shot on a DD.  The other three skills are purely for gunboating!    The tentative plan for finishing the build is to either:

triple up on 3 pointers, with BFT and BOS ( or torp reload)   OR:

CE and  maybe Smoke Screen Expert or High Alert.

This will be a dedicated lower tier captain.  $$ is short right now, and I'm not going to spend precious doubloons to redo it.  I'll just use it to accelerate a second one for the higher tier ships.

Gnevny itself has:

Main Armament 1

Aiming Systems mod

Damage Control 1

Rudder shift 2

I actually have 3 Gnevnys : Gnevny, Gremlin, and Anshan.   Anshan doesn't get played, since Pan Asian has been a complete dead end so far.  ( and also because I always forget it's there!)

Like you, I also have a couple of tree ships that don't get played because I have the same tier premium:  New York doesn't see much play, because who doesn't like a tier 5 with good AA? (Texas)  You can either blow up planes left and right or get ignored by the enemy CV- either way I win! Arizona sees far more games than New Mex;   Iowa doesn't get played because I have MO Money.  Black Booger gets all the reps instead of Booger; Albany over Chester;  Alabama sees more play time than Nor-Cal (but I still play it because I love my North Carolina)   Mutsu gets played while Fuso doesn't etc.

Ended up dragging Leningrad into a co-op game last night, and decided I liked the ship.  MM kind of worked in my favor- we had 6 bots on our team- just me and a human Saipan.  This meant I had guaranteed aggressive cruiser support!  (no BB's and only 2 bot DD's)  Nuked the red IJN DD, pounded on a Myoko until he ran behind an island; then shifted to smacking the red Saipan around.   I was just about to torp him from point blank range, when our kill stealing CV sent TB's- which would have nuked ME if the Saipan hadn't died first.

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

[ARGSY]
Members
1,297 posts
9,013 battles

Looooove Gnev. I find T5 and T6 to be far better to play than T7 on. T7 sees T9s on dreadful maps, and you can no longer get close to enemy BBs without getting shredded by insane secondaries. Wanna hide and retreat? HAHAHA!! RADAR TIME, IDIOT! No...T7 on is just the worst. Not to say one cannot do well, it's just not as fun, in my opinion. I've just started to grind with stock Minsk. Starting to get the hang of her, but I'm already missing my beloved Gnevny.

Anyway, I think I finished my Gnev grind with a c. 60% win rate, which is FAR above my WR in most other ships. I'm not good, overall, but I feel very confident in the Gnev. I play it was a role playing support ship. Use speed to scout (careful not to over extend, as your detection radius is a handicap), draw enemy fire, dance away with nothing worse than a scratch on my paint. I set smoke for my team, use my speed to intercept other DDs closing in on our bigger ships, and use my torps as my primary weapon in knife fights, almost ignoring my guns. IJN DDs, properly approached, are no match for Gnev (I generally avoid German DDs and Mahan, but Nicholas is helpless against you, and Farragut is an even fight). 

Capping in the Gnev is best left later in the match. Again, detection puts you at a disadvantage in the capping game early on. Your speed, however, makes you a master capper in later stages. Be patient and ignore BB and CA captains who yell at you to "get in there": odds are, they have never had to sail a Gnevny...

I didn't use any signals or camo in the grind, so my avg damage would have been better had been able to set fires more frequently. Quite frankly, Gnev kinda sucks at burning things, but AP is surprising; citadel shots on most cruisers happen rather frequently.

Use your consumables wisely, support your team, be a pain in the butt to the reds and all sudden like, Gnevny becomes a very fun little boat to play! Don't concern yourself with doing loads of damage: she isn't built to deal it. Oh, the 'S' key is only for knife fights and avoiding torps and islands. Otherwise, put the pedal to the metal and go win some games!

[DD214]
Members
758 posts

The KIev, Tash, and Khab are all fine ships. I played a bit with the second line, but quit grinding at T8. The Khab has spoiled me and the main seems to offer more.