You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Sealclubbers united!

51 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles

All these players were from the same clan and in the same division (?). However, the MM put them on opposite teams. What a clubfest it would have been if they could have ended up on the same side.

sealclubbers.thumb.jpg.0b45dc39c3bb6fca3e3dd4ecd695fba4.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle

[BIAS]
Members
3,151 posts
9,233 battles

Pretty hard to drop 6 dd's on the same team. Must not be a clan that knows what they are doing or were intentionally trying to go against each other.

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles

There were a couple more DDs per side as well. My oh my but you should have seen the torpedoes in that game! I was playing a battleship too! To make things worse torpedo-wise there also was a CV on each team. I spent more time trying to dodge torpedoes than I did firing back at the enemy. I finally got one of those pesky DDs and also did some overall damage but I was only mid-team. I survived to the end of the match though. We won.

https://replayswows.com/replay/7217#teams

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,503 battles

Seal clubers are pathetic. I would rather have my hard earned true blue stats any day. I just laugh at the guys who brag about being purple. When I go look at their stats and see that their most played ships are Clemson, Kutuzov, Belfast and Saipan and compare them to their stats in ships like NC, Cleveland, Fiji...etc it shows they are just average captains hiding behind farmed purple stats. Like I said, pathetic.

• Cool 4

[FML]
Members
1,758 posts
10,132 battles
1 minute ago, smf117 said:

Seal clubers are pathetic. I would rather have my hard earned true blue stats any day. I just laugh at the guys who brag about being purple. When I go look at their stats and see that their most played ships are Clemson, Kutuzov, Belfast and Saipan and compare them to their stats in ships like NC, Cleveland, Fiji...etc it shows they are just average captains hiding behind farmed purple stats. Like I said, pathetic.

Actually, my NC and Fiji stats are pretty good too.  

Ultimately, this is a game.  If you have fun clubbing, then go do that.  I also try and help the new players on my team whilst I'm down there so its not all one way.  

• Cool 1

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,503 battles
7 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Actually, my NC and Fiji stats are pretty good too.  

Ultimately, this is a game.  If you have fun clubbing, then go do that.  I also try and help the new players on my team whilst I'm down there so its not all one way.  

Then it doesn't seem like this was aimed at you. It certainly wasn't aimed at you if you are trying to help new players. That is what good players should do. I like to see quality players making calls and giving advice to their teammates rather than talking down to their team and bragging about how good they think they are.

EDIT: Plus you're top ship is Leander, she is a fun but difficult ship to play. I wouldn't consider it a seal clubber.

Edited by smf117
  • Cool 1

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles
5 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Actually, my NC and Fiji stats are pretty good too

Well, since you are bragging..... Your stats do not look so purple when you look at your solo play.

Going to play T3, in a Div, and why not with a 19 pts captain, is indeed rather pathetic. And the fact that this ruins the experience of new players and might even push some away is certainly not helping the game.

• Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

I don't think seal-clubbing really exists..

I play the tiers I enjoy and that's it, and I doubt many people play the lower tiers just for easy wins.

• Cool 3

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,503 battles

I'm sorry but taking an experienced captain on a good ship with a player who knows what they are doing in that ship,going against players with just a few hundred battles and 6 point captains in ships they are still learning...is seal clubbing. Get real Winter.

• Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
Just now, smf117 said:

I'm sorry but taking an experienced captain on a good ship with a player who knows what they are doing in that ship,going against players with just a few hundred battles and 6 point captains in ships they are still learning...is seal clubbing. Get real Winter.

Okay.. so what tiers do you think are off-limits? I'm never going to stop playing tier 5, and I really enjoy tier 4.

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,503 battles

Do you really care what I think? I don't think so, you have my opinion. Agree or disagree, it's up to you. I am not getting into a pissing match with you.

• Cool 2

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
1 minute ago, smf117 said:

Do you really care what I think? I don't think so, you have my opinion. Agree or disagree, it's up to you. I am not getting into a pissing match with you.

Right, so you don't want to have an actual conversation. That's what I thought.

Edited by Elegant_Winter

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,503 battles
Just now, Elegant_Winter said:

Right, so don't want to have an actual conversation. That's what I thought.

lol gtfo There is nothing to converse. I gave my opinion, you gave yours, we don't agree and I am done with you. Simple.

• Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
Just now, smf117 said:

lol gtfo There is nothing to converse. I gave my opinion, you gave yours, we don't agree and I am done with you. Simple.

So is tier 5 fine then? It's fine to me.

[PVE]
Members
1,606 posts
6,757 battles
1 hour ago, smf117 said:

Totally agree.  There should be a substantial, and I do mean SUBSTANTIAL penalty for those that seal club, its is totally unfair to the new up and comers trying to get their footing within the game.  Speaking about some Purples being just average, I've seen it first hand, as a co-op main player, they might be able to hold their own against new guys just starting out with no real knowledge of how the game works, but they fail miserably against educated BOTS.  It has made for many good belly laughs.

• Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
3 minutes ago, Judge_Doom said:

Totally agree.  There should be a substantial, and I do mean SUBSTANTIAL penalty for those that seal club, its is totally unfair to the new up and comers trying to get their footing within the game.

K, what tiers are off-limits then?

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles
9 minutes ago, Judge_Doom said:

Totally agree.  There should be a substantial, and I do mean SUBSTANTIAL penalty for those that seal club, its is totally unfair to the new up and comers trying to get their footing within the game. 

What kind of penalty do you suggest? I have played 5000 games here but probably am no better at the game than many new players, especially younger ones who are more familiar with FPS-type games than I am. If there were an AP and/or credit sanction imposed on those who have played many games then it would be very hard to start up a new ship line, which is why I was in a low-tier match to begin with.

I think the problem (if their indeed is one) of seal-clubbing can be solved by ensuring the matchmaker disperses those who have played many games and also have a very high win percentage evenly as possible on each team. This may already be the case because if the clan I saw was trying to get into a match on the same team then it didn't work. Of course, they may have created two separate divisions and tried to have an intra-clan battle too. If so, they succeeded. 

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,503 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I think the problem (if their indeed is one) of seal-clubbing can be solved by ensuring the matchmaker disperses those who have played many games and also have a very high win percentage evenly as possible on each team.

With the relatively small player base WoWs has, this would cause wait times to be much longer. It comes down to the character of the player base and making the choice not to do it, unfortunately there are just too many players who care more about being purple than giving new players a fair chance. Generally these players pool together and form clans over time. It's just dirty.

• Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
6 minutes ago, smf117 said:

With the relatively small player base WoWs has, this would cause wait times to be much longer. It comes down to the character of the player base and making the choice not to do it, unfortunately there are just too many players who care more about being purple than giving new players a fair chance. Generally these players pool together and form clans over time. It's just dirty.

What tiers should be morally reprehensible to play?

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles

If a person were of a mind to do so, they could play several games at low tiers and then look up the records of the players involved in order to ascertain just how much seal-clubbing takes place. I believe that there is a modification that gives players' stats up front, which would make this relatively easy. I don't have the time to do this but it would be an interesting project. In fact, if proper sampling techniques and data analyses were used I'd have accepted it as a project in my introductory college science course. 

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles
13 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I think the problem (if their indeed is one) of seal-clubbing can be solved by ensuring the matchmaker disperses those who have played many games and also have a very high win percentage evenly as possible on each team. This may already be the case because if the clan I saw was trying to get into a match on the same team then it didn't work. Of course, they may have created two separate divisions and tried to have an intra-clan battle too. If so, they succeeded. 

It would make sense to put peeps at lower tiers and with less battles together indeed.

Now, they dropped in the MM knowing they would face each others. Did they decide to start farming on opposite side of the map so they don't fight each others early on ? I have seen this happen with 2 T10 CV divs from the same clan. CVs sent their fighters on the side of the map and did not snipe each others. Damage farming time.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
2 minutes ago, PicknChew said:

It would make sense to put peeps at lower tiers and with less battles together indeed.

Now, they dropped in the MM knowing they would face each others. Did they decide to start farming on opposite side of the map so they don't fight each others early on ? I have seen this happen with 2 T10 CV divs from the same clan. CVs sent their fighters on the side of the map and did not snipe each others. Damage farming time.

I believe you can report that if you have a replay.

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles
1 minute ago, PicknChew said:

Did they decide to start farming on opposite side of the map so they don't fight each others early on ?

My team won quite handily in this game. I was too busy dodging torpedoes to pay much attention to what the clan was doing regarding its members on the opposite side. However, I have the replay linked above if you want to see.

Members
762 posts
15,824 battles

Any real, unfair "clubbing" well and truly begins at Tier 5, where boats with inferior armor, ammo, and range meet boats 2 tiers higher (with likely the requisite experience of the grind to 7 as well). Those 7's can swat the hapless 5's that have little recourse but to charge towards or run away from their tormentors. Until WG reconsiders their MM paradigm, 5 is really the level where players are punished with being severely disadvantaged and are STUCK in that level for quite a few games as they try to grind up through it.

While I'm constantly accused of seal clubbing in my Tier 1 play (despite most games looking like THIS), no other level can boast the degree of parity Tier 1 enjoys. Also, anyone honest must admit that most truly new players spend minimal time in Tier 1 (3 to 6 games)  in their exuberance of grinding up to the 'better' boats of the upper tiers.

PPevp0H.png

Edited by theLaalaa

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,843 posts
1,332 battles
13 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

Those 7's can swat the hapless 5's that have little recourse but to charge towards or run away from their tormentors. Until WG reconsiders their MM paradigm, 5 is really the level where players are punished with being severely disadvantaged and are STUCK in that level for quite a few games as they try to grind up through it.

Funny.  I didn't notice my Texas being unable to hurt Scharnhorst or Colorado the other day.  Nor was I unable to hurt a Colorado in October Revolution yesterday.