You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Raigoth

Need Advice!

25 comments in this topic

[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Beta Testers
263 posts
1,443 battles

Alright, I recently converted a lot of the free XP on my ships (All of it...) and ended up with 144k. Now, I dont know what to use it for. At this point in time im not wanting to save up for the Nelson or the Missouri just yet, I still have too many other ships to work on, so im wondering what I should do. I know the decision is ultimately up to me, but im wondering what other people would do in my situation.

I currently have: 

Isokaze

Queen Elizabeth

Langley

Frederich Der Grosse

Amagi

Kirov

Those are really the only ships im interested in progressing really.

Advice?

[SPTR]
Members
3,476 posts
5,734 battles

Do you have Amagi? Or are you working on it?

If you are working on Amagi, keep it up, it's well worth it.

Frederich der Großer is a very good ship to go for too, although at tier 9 she's an expensive lady to pay for.

You may forget about Langley. 1st she's worse than Hosho. 2nd that's heresy.

[brace yourselves for ordo hereticus memes]

Kirov isn't a very pleasant tier 5 ship to play, pretty unforgiving and hard to master. But she leads to a whole bunch of good ships so she's worth it.

[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Beta Testers
263 posts
1,443 battles

Well, the ships ive got listed here are ones im already working on. Im very close to getting the Izumo, but im really wondering if I should get just that ship, or progress the others that ive got listed.

[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Beta Testers
263 posts
1,443 battles

I play more BB's than anything else, but am trying to branch out a bit into CV's and DD's (More CV's than anything else) I do prefer BB's though.

[RKLES]
Members
7,204 posts
8,971 battles

If you want Yamato and are not wanting Missouri or Nelson right now then my advice would be to save the free XP and get past the Izumo since many hate that particular ship

[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Beta Testers
263 posts
1,443 battles
3 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If you want Yamato and are not wanting Missouri or Nelson right now then my advice would be to save the free XP and get past the Izumo since many hate that particular ship

So pretty much just save up enough to completely skip over it? Thats quite a chunk of change needed to do that...

[RKLES]
Members
7,204 posts
8,971 battles
5 minutes ago, Raigoth said:

So pretty much just save up enough to completely skip over it? Thats quite a chunk of change needed to do that...

Or at least get its top hull maybe since I think the stick hulls may contribute to the popular Hate for it.

But I have heard Yamato is worth it, I too am facing the choice whether to free XP past or just suffer through Izumo since I am currently on Amagi and am grinding up the XP to get the Izumo unlocked.

[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Beta Testers
263 posts
1,443 battles

Oh I know, Ive already spent the money to get it done.

Members
4,821 posts
5,596 battles

I have ~230k free exp, but I've no intention to get Nelson or Missouri myself.

I use the free exp to research modules to get out of stock ships/grinds. I still play the ships, just not in stock configuration(mostly, some ships I research one or two important upgrades, like hull and guns/torps or GFCS, then grind out the experience for the rest). I'll also use a couple hundred to a couple thousand free exp to unlock the next ship, but no more than that, so I don't have to play one more game(which could turn into more than one game if you don't manage to get enough experience from the match) or just so I don't have exp on the ship in need of being converted to be used.

I honestly think that's the best use of free exp.

Edit: In fact, just earlier today, I used a little less than 1000 free exp to unlock Akizuki, then spent 20,000 free exp on the hull upgrade, so I wasn't playing on a stock hull(I'm grinding out the exp for the torps, since Akizuki doesn't rely on torps as heavily as the rest of the IJN DDs. And ever since the bloom/detection changes, I generally don't get GFCS upgrades right away for my DDs, and play the ship some to determine if I absolutely need the extra range or not).

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Beta Testers
263 posts
1,443 battles
59 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I have ~230k free exp, but I've no intention to get Nelson or Missouri myself.

I use the free exp to research modules to get out of stock ships/grinds. I still play the ships, just not in stock configuration(mostly, some ships I research one or two important upgrades, like hull and guns/torps or GFCS, then grind out the experience for the rest). I'll also use a couple hundred to a couple thousand free exp to unlock the next ship, but no more than that, so I don't have to play one more game(which could turn into more than one game if you don't manage to get enough experience from the match) or just so I don't have exp on the ship in need of being converted to be used.

I honestly think that's the best use of free exp.

Edit: In fact, just earlier today, I used a little less than 1000 free exp to unlock Akizuki, then spent 20,000 free exp on the hull upgrade, so I wasn't playing on a stock hull(I'm grinding out the exp for the torps, since Akizuki doesn't rely on torps as heavily as the rest of the IJN DDs. And ever since the bloom/detection changes, I generally don't get GFCS upgrades right away for my DDs, and play the ship some to determine if I absolutely need the extra range or not).

I wish I had that kind of self control. I always get the free XP and then use it as soon as I can :(

Its a bad habit I havent been able to break.

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
290 posts

The best rule of thumb is to grind ships with regular XP and then use free XP to upgrade the modules, unless you are saving it for the Missouri or Nelson. The Missouri is absolutely worth the free XP grind. I'm not sure about the Nelson as I don't have one (and probably won't get it). It might also be worthwhile to wait and see if the Massachusetts comes out as a free XP ship... will have to wait and see what WG does with that.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Wait until the PA DDs come out.

Nothing says you have to spend it right now. 

Ya never know..:cap_like:

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,304 posts
6,543 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Or at least get its top hull maybe since I think the stick hulls may contribute to the popular Hate for it.

But I have heard Yamato is worth it, I too am facing the choice whether to free XP past or just suffer through Izumo since I am currently on Amagi and am grinding up the XP to get the Izumo unlocked.

That was true, but they actually removed the horrible stock hull from Izumo.  Right now she's just thoroughly mediocre.
While I didn't have a bad time playing through her, she wasn't great either.  I am thankful I played through her though, because she does teach some good habits for Yamato. 

Members
4,821 posts
5,596 battles
8 hours ago, Raigoth said:

I wish I had that kind of self control. I always get the free XP and then use it as soon as I can :(

Its a bad habit I havent been able to break.

I can see how it would be hard for some to just keep the exp. Personally, I just don't pay any attention to it. If I'm moving up a line, I aim for the required exp while using ship exp only. So my free exp just builds up. I also put papa papa flags on any premium I run regularly, which helps to build free exp faster since premiums earn more exp than tech tree ships.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,002 posts
13,677 battles

Like others I use it to fully upgrade new ships. I then grind the ship normally  to get to the next one.

I skipped some low tier ships to go up a line quickly a long time ago but found that I have gone back and bought most of them anyway so it was a waste.

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
203 posts
11,015 battles

I'm currently grinding (or finished grinding) all of those lines. The only line I used Free XP on was the USN CVs specifically to get one of the upgraded load-outs or upgrade the planes (like getting the 1000 lb bombs on the Lexington).

You learn a lot by grinding through the tiers. You also get a chance to increase your captain skills so that you have 15+ point captains when you get to the higher tiers.

Izumo was frustrating at times, but also at times she was an absolute blast to play. QE was a pain before I finally got used to her and ended up playing well even in 6-7-8 battles. 

I've got both the Nelson and the Missouri. The Missouri is great for credit farming, but I like playing the Nelson more and it's a good captain trainer for the RN BB line. 

You can also use your Free XP to train captains. so there's always an option there to bring a new captain up a few levels right away to make them more competitive.

I guess it depends on your play style. I've gone through almost all the lines in the game and most are at tier 8-10 with a couple of the newer ones at tier 7. I'm nowhere near Unicum status, but I enjoy going through the grind for every ship no matter how painful the ship/tier is (cough ** Ranger ** cough). 

[NG-NL]
Members
5,017 posts
8,240 battles
On 10/14/2017 at 10:02 PM, Raigoth said:

Alright, I recently converted a lot of the free XP on my ships (All of it...) and ended up with 144k. Now, I dont know what to use it for. At this point in time im not wanting to save up for the Nelson or the Missouri just yet, I still have too many other ships to work on, so im wondering what I should do. I know the decision is ultimately up to me, but im wondering what other people would do in my situation.

I currently have: 

Isokaze

Queen Elizabeth

Langley

Frederich Der Grosse

Amagi

Kirov

Those are really the only ships im interested in progressing really.

Advice?

Fully upgrade Amagi and Freddy, no question. As a BB player, they're very good.

US CV line is an exercise in frustration and being outclassed by the verastile IJN CV line--suggest sticking to latter. I would also suggest mastering the vision control and DoT approach to CVs, as both are necessary to be effective.

IJN DDs' main selling points are stealth and best flood % chance on their torps, which also have highest base damage. Both have been shot somewhat by the introduction of radar and hydro, and their torps are the most easily detected, plus good players know to vary their throttle and turn randomly; it's nearly impossible to torp even a sluggish Izumo that knows what he's doing, and most players will brake and turn hard if you get detected.

Only up to QE myself, but the KG5 and up look appealing.

Currently on Chappy. Schors is when the Russian cruisers really begin to stand out as flamethrowers, and they're vicious if AA specced. Excellent support cruisers, but very thin armor; they're shot at far more than IJN cruisers.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,842 posts
13,056 battles
On 10/14/2017 at 11:16 PM, PicknChew said:

free XP is very useful for getting the upgrades of a newly bought ship, Not going stock is important imo

^^^  This ^^^

Use free XP to get those upgrades.  Nothing worse than spending free XP on a new ship only to have to take that new ship into battle stock to grind the necessary ship XP to get the upgrades.  I save enough free XP to at least get the first main upgrade (often a hull upgrade) on a new ship, and then grind the other upgrades.

I strongly encourage the grind to also gain "real" experience.  There is a lot to be learned while grinding a ship, both in terms of general skills as wells as getting to know a ship's strengths and weaknesses (which is not only good to play the ship well, but good when facing that ship as an adversary).   

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 2

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles
55 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I strongly encourage the grind to also gain "real" experience.  There is a lot to be learned while grinding a ship, both in terms of general skills as wells as getting to know a ship's strengths and weaknesses (which is not only good to play the ship well, but good when facing that ship as an adversary).   

It might come a bit out of the blue, but some contributors in this forum are far more relevant than others.

I hope new comers will follow the advise of those contributors. And to clear it out, Soshi is one of those. As far as I can say, she simply is spot on !

[NG-NL]
Members
5,017 posts
8,240 battles
4 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

^^^  This ^^^

Use free XP to get those upgrades.  Nothing worse than spending free XP on a new ship only to have to take that new ship into battle stock to grind the necessary ship XP to get the upgrades.  I save enough free XP to at least get the first main upgrade (often a hull upgrade) on a new ship, and then grind the other upgrades.

Second'd, as not everyone can glance at the ship's port stats like me and know immediately how to play her.

[JASH]
Members
385 posts
5,245 battles
43 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Second'd, as not everyone can glance at the ship's port stats like me and know immediately how to play her.

Third-ed... Ain't nobody got time for grinding stock ships.

https://youtu.be/bFEoMO0pc7k